Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Hattie Masters posted:

Goddamn it hurts to find out someone you respect is a moron.

Incidentally, on topic, does anyone listen to any YouTube to help them sleep? For the past year or so I've been playing Allison's Charmed Reviews, gently chuckling my way to sleep to it. I think I've just listened to it so many times over the years it's become essentially comforting and funny white noise.

Oh, constantly. Who I listen to varies depending on my mood, but I've often played a familiar voice to keep my mind from wandering while my body settles down in bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Hattie Masters posted:

Incidentally, on topic, does anyone listen to any YouTube to help them sleep? For the past year or so I've been playing Allison's Charmed Reviews, gently chuckling my way to sleep to it. I think I've just listened to it so many times over the years it's become essentially comforting and funny white noise.

But then I wouldnt know how much energy I am wasting on my computer afterwards!
(Because I have no idea how to tell it to turn itself off, I am dumb that way)

Those Charmed reviews were great tho.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Alacron posted:

I believe Kim is practicing the lost Chinese art known as "sarcasm"

Indeed, I was parodying someone in this thread who randomly got legit mad at Mia complaining about all those drills.

Nice to see a rec for mah boi Top Hat :)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hattie Masters posted:

lmao I do that too! And with Alison's videos as well! Altho I usually go with baywatching. Quinton Reviews is another good one to sleep to imo.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like to try and listen to youtube videos while I sleep, I tried listening to a few of Jenny's videos cause she's the only youtuber who doesn't randomly yell and it works up until the ad plays since I can't use adblock on my phone.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Probably drove himself nuts trying to 100% a Yoko Taro game knowing him.

Nier Automata would be a little weird though because he COULD just buy all the trophies and get the platinum and say "hell yes I've 100% completed Nier Automata."

The idea that anybody should PLAY Drakengard in a Post-TDI Let's Play world is actually horrendous. He bore this burden for us! I have a lot of respect for Yoko Taro but there's a reason my only first hand experience is Nier Automata. And helping my friend do the final boss of D3 while using a video to cheat because he could not wrap his hands around 6 button presses followed by a 1 tick pause before the 7th press.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Leal posted:

I like to try and listen to youtube videos while I sleep, I tried listening to a few of Jenny's videos cause she's the only youtuber who doesn't randomly yell and it works up until the ad plays since I can't use adblock on my phone.

There's an adblocker browser on phones now, do you think you can download that?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Nier Automata would be a little weird though because he COULD just buy all the trophies and get the platinum and say "hell yes I've 100% completed Nier Automata."

Yeah but Anderson has a particular form of brokebain that probably wouldn't let him do that.

EDIT: /\ some phones absolutely demand youtube goes through the youtube app so the only way around it is paying for premium. I use a roku that has the same issue.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
oh boy oh boy! I just finished Joseph Anderson's subnautica streams the other day, and I just saw Many A True Nerd has started playing it! And he has a crippling fear of the ocean! oh boy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMH1tFPAuqY&hd=1

man I love subnautica, even with its awful pop-in and bugginess. there's really nothing like it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it boggles my mind that any human being on this planet can actually watch joseph 'the dumbest motherfucker on youtube' anderson for more than 5 minutes

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

he seems a lot more tolerable in live-streams where he’s not trying so hard to be the ultimate authority on video games

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Augus posted:

he seems a lot more tolerable in live-streams where he’s not trying so hard to be the ultimate authority on video games

his livestreams included that time that he failed to comprehend silent hill 2, a game that bashes you over the head with its metaphors

i can't believe this guy doesn't fuckin drown when he tries to take a shower

the fact that he's apparently alt-right adjacent also neither helps his case nor surprises me in the slightest, his videos are almost like tailor made to appeal to chuds just like every other blowhard who makes hours-long "critique" videos that really don't say jack poo poo but fools dipshits into buying into them solely because they're long

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Feb 9, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it boggles my mind that any human being on this planet can actually watch joseph 'the dumbest motherfucker on youtube' anderson for more than 5 minutes

I think the youtube "critic" most deserving of the title "dumbest motherfucker on youtube" would be Mauler

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

his livestreams included that time that he failed to comprehend silent hill 2, a game that bashes you over the head with its metaphors

the fact that he's apparently alt-right adjacent also neither helps his case nor surprises me in the slightest, his videos are almost like tailor made to appeal to chuds just like every other blowhard who makes hours-long "critique" videos that really don't say jack poo poo but fools dipshits into buying into them solely because they're long

Wait really? I remember him dunking on Trump and paling around with Hbomberguy IIRC. How is he alt-right adjacent?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Jamie Faith posted:

I think the youtube "critic" most deserving of the title "dumbest motherfucker on youtube" would be Mauler

wait is mauler the guy that made a like 11 hour rebuttal to jenny nicholson that one time? fair enough

Jamie Faith posted:

Wait really? I remember him dunking on Trump and paling around with Hbomberguy IIRC. How is he alt-right adjacent?

it's been mentioned in this thread that he pals around with chuds as well, i haven't looked into it further than that because i have better things to do than concern myself that much with someone too stupid to get silent hill 2

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

wait is mauler the guy that made a like 11 hour rebuttal to jenny nicholson that one time? fair enough

it's been mentioned in this thread that he pals around with chuds as well, i haven't looked into it further than that because i have better things to do than concern myself that much with someone too stupid to get silent hill 2

i think you just might be bad at remembering thing

and i think this is the second time either you or someone else in this thread thought someone who is not MauLer was actually MauLer

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Alaois posted:

and i think this is the second time either you or someone else in this thread thought someone who is not MauLer was actually MauLer

What? No, Mauler was in fact, the one who made an 11 hour response to Jenny Nicholson. Deep State Plot was correct.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

Mokinokaro posted:

Joseph Anderson should never ever be taken seriously. Guy is a giant tool who does "controversial" opinions for clicks and hangs around with a lot of right wing gaming critics.

:shrug:

Alaois posted:

no? i know who both mauler and joseph anderson are, i was acknowledging jamie faith's point that mauler is probably dumber

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Has anyone done a good video on Legend of Korra? I remember hearing a lot talk about there being meddling but that phrase is literally all I ever hear, nothing specific.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

of course, the Unnamed Right Wing Video Game Critics. how could i forget

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I feel whenever someone claims some internet personality is alt-right, there should be some evidence posted.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

iirc the guy joseph anderson was hanging out with was mandalore gaming, not MauLer. I'm not aware of mandalore being a chud but I also don't watch his videos or know his twitter or anything so

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

TheFlyingLlama posted:

iirc the guy joseph anderson was hanging out with was mandalore gaming, not MauLer. I'm not aware of mandalore being a chud but I also don't watch his videos or know his twitter or anything so

i really should have guessed lmao this carousel never ends

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Glass of milk! Glass of milk! Glass of milk!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

TheFlyingLlama posted:

Mandalore is friends with Sseth which is the kiss of death in this thread.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheFlyingLlama posted:

i feel like there's a massive issue regarding reading comprehension in this thread because nobody at any point said nor implied that joseph anderson was hanging out with mauler nor do i have any fuckin idea why anyone would have thought otherwise unless they literally just saw those two names and filled in the rest of the post in their heads or something

Archer666 posted:

Mandalore is friends with Sseth which is the kiss of death in this thread.

i don't know who either of these people are, please explain

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I mean, you specifically call out anderson for appealing to the same viewerbase as the longform chuds like mauler, along with saying that he hangs out with rightwing chuds. It's probably not what you meant, but it's not some insane leap of logic lol

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Sseth the Scaleless is a traitor to dragonkind who helped humanity wipe out most of the remaining dragons.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
jesus. calm down.

he has some dumb takes and gets way too hung up on silly poo poo in games, but I've watched a few of his streams and he's not said anything particularly foul, outside of reading a lovely donation once. has he said anything particularly egregious himself?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i feel like there's a massive issue regarding reading comprehension in this thread because nobody at any point said nor implied that joseph anderson was hanging out with mauler nor do i have any fuckin idea why anyone would have thought otherwise unless they literally just saw those two names and filled in the rest of the post in their heads or something

Sseth makes videos on obscure video games while having an edgy gimmick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE4txj_8tqA

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Invictus posted:

jesus. calm down.

he has some dumb takes and gets way too hung up on silly poo poo in games, but I've watched a few of his streams and he's not said anything particularly foul, outside of reading a lovely donation once. has he said anything particularly egregious himself?

sorry dawg but anyone who doesn't get a game as blatantly fuckin obvious as silent hill 2 is not worth listening to about anything ever, i was fuckin 15 when i played that game and it was plainly obvious to me what the game was about even then when i was a highschool libertarian dipshit

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzpndHtdl9A

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

sorry dawg but anyone who doesn't get a game as blatantly fuckin obvious as silent hill 2 is not worth listening to about anything ever, i was fuckin 15 when i played that game and it was plainly obvious to me what the game was about even then when i was a highschool libertarian dipshit
man you've got some weird hangups, there is a lot more worth getting mad about especially lately than the video game ~in depth review~ guy who also does some fun streams

internet streamsman is not a perfect human being, might be hilariously dense on some things, but can be entertaining and has not done anything noteworthily offensive on stream far as I've seen, this is not the end of the world

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Invictus posted:

man you've got some weird hangups, there is a lot more worth getting mad about especially lately than the video game ~in depth review~ guy who also does some fun streams

internet streamsman is not a perfect human being, might be hilariously dense on some things, but can be entertaining and has not done anything noteworthily offensive on stream far as I've seen, this is not the end of the world

i just do not understand why anyone keeps posting his vomit in this thread, pretty much nobody except you and groovelord neato have anything positive to say about this absolute moron. he's been roundly and rightly criticized by basically every other regular poster here.

he is almost incomprehensibly dumb and represents everything i hate about internet critics, releasing longform videos where he presents himself as some sort of supergenius deconstructing why these amazing games are actually bad. i mean gently caress i have a lot of problems with breath of the wild and feel that it gained way too goddamn much praise, but even then, his video on that game was just fuckin beyond banal.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I've not watched his reviews(or really any longform reviews, no thanks), only the stream archives of nier automata, subnautica, recettear and a little of doom 2016. he's totally fine in those and comes off as a mostly regular dude and pretty standard game streamer. I was curious about if he ever even made the nier review because it kept coming up during the streams, is all.

you don't like him, that's fine.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 9, 2020

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Captain Invictus posted:

I've not watched his reviews(or really any longform reviews, no thanks)

then perhaps you should do so to get an understanding as to why people itt generally don't like him, as this was originally the internet critic discussion thread before being renamed to a more generalized personality thread.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hmmm, I will pass

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i just do not understand why anyone keeps posting his vomit in this thread, pretty much nobody except you and groovelord neato have anything positive to say about this absolute moron. he's been roundly and rightly criticized by basically every other regular poster here.

he is almost incomprehensibly dumb and represents everything i hate about internet critics, releasing longform videos where he presents himself as some sort of supergenius deconstructing why these amazing games are actually bad. i mean gently caress i have a lot of problems with breath of the wild and feel that it gained way too goddamn much praise, but even then, his video on that game was just fuckin beyond banal.

You seem to be having an incoherent, visceral reaction the concept of critiquing something

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

I'll admit I trust him way more for gameplay critique than story critique for sure. Granted a lot of that helps when you remove the "Do you really need to 100% a game?" factor, because very rarely I feel are there games that there are a need to truly 100% complete the game in every aspect now. If a game captures you and compels you to do that it's great, but I never feel it as a requirement.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Microcline posted:

You seem to be having an incoherent, visceral reaction the concept of critiquing something

i critique the gently caress out of things and watch a lot of people who critique the gently caress out of things. i mean gently caress i could write a goddamn novel about everything wrong with morrowind, my favorite game ever.

joseph anderson meanwhile is the video game equivalent of a cinema discussion contrarian shitposter, everything he says is vacuous and pointless and i've never seen him once make a good point about anything ever.

bobjr posted:

I'll admit I trust him way more for gameplay critique than story critique for sure. Granted a lot of that helps when you remove the "Do you really need to 100% a game?" factor, because very rarely I feel are there games that there are a need to truly 100% complete the game in every aspect now. If a game captures you and compels you to do that it's great, but I never feel it as a requirement.

his entire shtick is playing a game with the most completionist mindset possible and then bitching about poo poo like how botw has 900 koroks, i mean gently caress in his video for that game he even says that nintendo probably didn't intend for you to get all of them but then keeps bitching about them anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i officially ain't care