Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Groovelord Neato posted:

but he's bad at it. at least with the paul brothers one of them is handsome. ricegum is a dweeb. i think he even paid one of the top instagram models to pretend to be his girlfriend (cuz there's no way someone who looks like that was legit dating him).

You aren't his audience though rly. In the end no matter how dumb and stupid Ricegum might be, and he most certainly is (let's not forget his utterly brutal Content Cop), 13-16 year olds eat that sort of poo poo up. Especially considering that he's rich...people llike watching people be rich and/or act like they're rich. He makes utterly loving poo poo content but people really eat that poo poo up.

MrBeast is probably a better example than him...people love people chucking money about, and that's why MrBeast gets like 400k subs a month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i haven't been able to read a full post in this thread about being a Youtube Star because halfway through this song just starts playing in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFuD-S-e_E

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

LMAO YouTube isn't all that bad really: http://www.newsweek.com/anything4views-banned-twitch-chad-ice-poseidon-rv-racist-livestreamfails-951749

What in the gently caress

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how is it so hard not to be racist when you have the easiest job on earth.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Leal posted:

What am I doing wrong? I got the red arrow AND the red circle, and that thing I notice happening more often where they take one image, copy and paste it, then move the 2 layers apart so each one takes half the shot, with one of them zoomed in.

E: Oh and I did meme speak in the title with a wacky face!

That text is hard to read.

I try to make my thumbnails easy to read:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Groovelord Neato posted:

Being racist gets them attention. They never stopped being mentally eight where yelling and screaming for attention is all they want and it doesn't matter how they get it.

DoubleCakes posted:

Deceased Crab? Is that you?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

DoubleCakes posted:

drat, I didn't think people actually read the text.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

HopperUK posted:

Star Wars is fine and microphones are important but what I really need to know is, Dan Olson, where did you get that blue hoodie with the sort-of pixellish pattern on it? I need one.

It's from DataErase's Live Heroes store, Dan's hoodie being this one. Prices are pretty exorbitant so wait until one of their 40-50% off sales they typically do every once and a while.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, i'm going to need a GIF of Adria turning to the camera and asking "Why is nobody talking about the feminine penis?" from Contra's new video.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Groovelord Neato posted:

Their success is built on their personality and values validating those of their audience - not those of the platform.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I will say that makeup timelapse was really cool

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Nuebot posted:

Deceased Crab? Is that you?
I'm not familiar with him. Is my style of thumbnail similar to theirs?

Leal posted:

drat, I didn't think people actually read the text.

Well if it's on the thumbnail it should be readable. If you're doing a Let's Play you might want to develop a frame to use between all the episodes of the LP.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Do not even ask posted:

It's from DataErase's Live Heroes store, Dan's hoodie being this one. Prices are pretty exorbitant so wait until one of their 40-50% off sales they typically do every once and a while.

Thank you!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm watching Contra's new video and I feel like there's this huge in-joke happening that I'm not a part of.

Edit: oh this is totally a take down of Blaire White, isn't it?

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
I usually just cover nice guy and neckbeard stories (after getting sick of incels) but I've been trying to break into covering creepy stories lately and it's been a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXZ6zem6n0

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Leal posted:

I dunno man, my neptunia thumbnails haven't been working out too well

What am I doing wrong? I got the red arrow AND the red circle, and that thing I notice happening more often where they take one image, copy and paste it, then move the 2 layers apart so each one takes half the shot, with one of them zoomed in.

E: Oh and I did meme speak in the title with a wacky face!

DoubleCakes posted:

Here's my take:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 3, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

my parents boyfriend posted:

I usually just cover nice guy and neckbeard stories (after getting sick of incels) but I've been trying to break into covering creepy stories lately and it's been a lot of fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYXZ6zem6n0

Yesssss.

I love your voice but I get exhausted from so many stories of shitheads. Then I forget I subbed you until one of your videos pops into my recommended and I'm like yay!

Also Contra's new video makes me sad because it's one of the interview skits and I never enjoy those. :(

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Wait what :psyduck:

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!

Lightning Knight posted:

Yesssss.

I love your voice but I get exhausted from so many stories of shitheads. Then I forget I subbed you until one of your videos pops into my recommended and I'm like yay!

Also Contra's new video makes me sad because it's one of the interview skits and I never enjoy those. :(

Thanks for the support! I'm always looking to try new things. If anyone was wondering, I also use a blue snowball but my setup is so stupid that I don't even want to admit what it is so I should probably change it asap.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leal posted:

Wait what :psyduck:

It should have been 'anime girls blabber endlessly about nothing', but I made some typos, and was too lazy to go back and fix it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jun 3, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

It should have been 'anime girls blabber endlessly about nothing', but I made some typos, and was too lazy to go back and fix it.

Oh its not real. You have no idea, the youtube bots man. They're after me. See in one video I had to pronounce "Tsundere" and I looked it up, thing is though I looked it up incognito. Then when I went to my regular browsing youtube recommends me a video on how to pick my FF14 class based on my 'dere personality. How did it know?!

E: I also haven't watched a proper FF14 video since Stormblood released, but I do talk about FF14 in the videos

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jun 3, 2018

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*whispers* virtual youtubers

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Motto posted:

The Age of the Automated LP Superstar.

Leal posted:

Oh its not real. You have no idea, the youtube bots man. They're after me. See in one video I had to pronounce "Tsundere" and I looked it up, thing is though I looked it up incognito. Then when I went to my regular browsing youtube recommends me a video on how to pick my FF14 class based on my 'dere personality. How did it know?!

E: I also haven't watched a proper FF14 video since Stormblood released, but I do talk about FF14 in the videos
Oh yeah, I didn't upload anything. It's just image editing.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 3, 2018

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DoubleCakes posted:

DC helped popularize La-Mulana (and Cave Story) outside of Japan by LPing them waaaaaay back in the day.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm watching Contra's new video and I feel like there's this huge in-joke happening that I'm not a part of.

I think so, but then I've not subjected myself to enough of their shlock to know if that's a play-up of them or what.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Lightning Knight posted:

She posted a comment on her video that explains what the video is about if you're having trouble with it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

because a lot of people are racist and cannot hide the fact that they are racist

Alaois posted:

i haven't been able to read a full post in this thread about being a Youtube Star because halfway through this song just starts playing in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAFuD-S-e_E

todd, where's the nada surf one hit wonderland anyway

also to this day this song and weezer's the sweater song are exactly the same in my head

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jun 3, 2018

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

matthew caws is a bit like rivers cuomo's significantly less creepy cousin

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Motto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2oCV2sM_ig

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

John Murdoch posted:

DoubleCakes posted:

DC helped popularize La-Mulana (and Cave Story) outside of Japan by LPing them waaaaaay back in the day.

He's also pretty well known for pretty bizarre turns of phrases and barely connected commentary to his content. Retsuprae done a thing ages ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd-9ZVbZA4

I follow him and he has gotten a little better now. :)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Remember back when people took LPing entirely too seriously

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Yesterday?

John Murdoch posted:

I actually would never have heard of either game without him. At least until they became super popular and started getting steam remakes or whatever.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Unpopular opinion: I miss the old style of SA LP & Retsupurae.

KayTee posted:

He's also pretty well known for pretty bizarre turns of phrases and barely connected commentary to his content. Retsuprae done a thing ages ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSd-9ZVbZA4

I follow him and he has gotten a little better now. :)

I never really did get what the deal was with Deceased Crab, but I suppose you had to be familiar with his content to understand.

Come to think of it, one of the first Let's Plays I ever watched on Youtube mentioned Deceased Crab, but I didn't understand who they were referring to (this was back before I knew about the LP subforum)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 3, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

I like to think that the rise of Geop, Blind Sally, Fedule, and myself to power in LP helped usher in an era of people chilling the gently caress out over it :smug:

I can't speak for the broader internet, but on SA with a lot of the old guard first gen '06-era LPers giving up the ghost and either retiring or drifting away from the forums towards streaming helped bring a more relaxed feeling to the subforum. Maybe it's because I've been at this for like five years now and I've found my groove or just won people over to my line of thinking by wearing them down, but whenever I do anything LP-related these days I feel significantly less pressure to try and impress people or adhere to some nebulous community-mandated standard of quality than I did when I was starting out.

Our current philosophy in LP is kind of "LP is whatever you want it to be," assuming you put at least some kind of effort into it and can entertain people with it, even if you embarrass yourself slightly in the process.

Max Wilco posted:

Old Retsupurae was funny as hell, I'll give it that, but honestly? Some of that old poo poo was just mean spirited as all gently caress.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Our current philosophy in LP is kind of "LP is whatever you want it to be," assuming you put at least some kind of effort into it and can entertain people with it, even if you embarrass yourself slightly in the process.

Best LP thing to happen in recent memory was when they finally finished that ages long Battle Network 3 thread and, along the way, blew the minds of everyone by faking an in-game event.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

nine-gear crow posted:

Old Retsupurae was funny as hell, I'll give it that, but honestly? Some of that old poo poo was just mean spirited as all gently caress.

And then when it chilled out more over time, internet detective dumbasses decided to jump in and ruin the whole thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

A good philosophy, and I certainly somewhat embarrassed myself in the early parts of my LP thread with my amateur hour recording and editing mistakes but ultimately it worked out great and now I am immortal, thanks to the LP Archive.

Aliens, if you scan the LP Archive thousands of years from now, please recreate me from the later episodes and not the earliest ones, tia.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nuebot posted:

Best LP thing to happen in recent memory was when they finally finished that ages long Battle Network 3 thread and, along the way, blew the minds of everyone by faking an in-game event.

I did that at the end of the White Knight Chronicles II LP, just straight up faked an in-game event and made it look like the game gave you control over an NPC for one battle to curbstomp the main villains after an entire duology of her just being treated like an object by the plot. I legit faked out a good portion of the posters in the thread with it, including several people who had played and beaten the game before. I was quite proud of that one, all told.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

In what sense? I feel like the old LP style never really went away.

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't speak for the broader internet, but on SA with a lot of the old guard first gen '06-era LPers giving up the ghost and either retiring or drifting away from the forums towards streaming helped bring a more relaxed feeling to the subforum.

The vibe I got was that since the community was much, much smaller the couple of cliques that developed actually had some sway (plus it was older, shittier SA) so you had a lot of pointless bullshit being slung between people or ganging up on people over video quality. Once that old guard grew up, chilled out, or otherwise moved on there was some breathing room. And not to say there wasn't some self-awareness there, since a lot of that old guard participated in the throwback '07 LP thread which I think heralded the move towards a more chill subforum.

nine-gear crow posted:

Yardbomb posted:

And then when it chilled out more over time, internet detective dumbasses decided to jump in and ruin the whole thing.

Yeah, as funny as it could be it wasn't a sustainable style for a multitude of reasons and it had some real lows.

Plus in both cases, the availability and quality of technology going way up also changed things. The bottom was raised up to the point where people don't need to camcorder their dodgy Hypercam recording running on an old, wheezing 486 with a CRT to get their Sonic the Hedgehog footage onto Youtube, so I would think most bad LPs nowadays are just bad because Youtube culture is bad. And streaming isn't far removed from those old casual stream of consciousness LPs and there's clearly an audience for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I like to think that the rise of Geop, Blind Sally, Fedule, and myself to power in LP helped usher in an era of people chilling the gently caress out over it :smug:

I can't speak for the broader internet, but on SA with a lot of the old guard first gen '06-era LPers giving up the ghost and either retiring or drifting away from the forums towards streaming helped bring a more relaxed feeling to the subforum. Maybe it's because I've been at this for like five years now and I've found my groove or just won people over to my line of thinking by wearing them down, but whenever I do anything LP-related these days I feel significantly less pressure to try and impress people or adhere to some nebulous community-mandated standard of quality than I did when I was starting out.

Between Retsupurae and the rules of the LP subforum (which I imagine are still largely the same), my takeaway was that there was a certain standard of quality that had to be met if you were going to post an LP. Titling of videos, structure of videos, clear and concise commentary, editing out failures or waiting time; it was sort of the anti-thesis of YouTube. Anything low effort got drummed out or discouraged. Perhaps it's not as strict anymore (it's been a while since I've been dropped into the subforum), but I took it as a type of curation.

nine-gear crow posted:

I can't really make a strong argument against that, but some of the scathing stuff they came up with was funny as hell.

Also, this may sound strange, but back when I first watched those old Retsupuraes, I saw a bit of myself in the some of doofuses they riffed on, and it was sort of eye-opening to me in regards to how you should act. I don't know if that makes any sense. Basically, it boiled down to 'don't be like this, unless you want to embarrass yourself.'