Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This is one of those times where I know he says he's got 60 hours in W3 or whatever but I'd love to know if it was actually Witcher 3 because I think we played two separate games. I can't even guess what moments he's trying to talk about and I don't have to because he's probably wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genthil
Sep 24, 2007

Farm Frenzy posted:

I have never seen mcintosh post a take that is even slightly interesting or thought out or worth talking about. its all just internet forum pedantry please stop embedding his tweets.

Seriously. Like, is this thread really starved for content that we're talking about dumb poo poo a male feminist youtuber tweeted 4-5 years ago?

Genthil fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 13, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Genthil posted:

Seriously. Like, is this thread really starved for content that we're talking about dumb poo poo a male feminist youtuber tweeted 4-5 years ago?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yTIpEv2jKI

meatcanyon made a new video.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dawgstar posted:

This is one of those times where I know he says he's got 60 hours in W3 or whatever but I'd love to know if it was actually Witcher 3 because I think we played two separate games. I can't even guess what moments he's trying to talk about and I don't have to because he's probably wrong.

I've only played like 13 hours of it and like 7 of those are Geralt being a snippy little bitch and complaining about wanting a nice hot bath to get clean while Dandelion and he make jokes.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Malmrose Projects has their first real episode on the movies of David Lynch:

https://youtu.be/aLnoeErjSVw

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

dudeness posted:

Was The Dig considered AAA at the time?

The Dig was definitely a big budget game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

true true. personaly, i always saw the main cast as super duper marketed to thirsty lasses/lads and their are 4 so you can find the one just right for you. the moody but wellmeaning protag with issues, the big strong one, the smart egon one or the excitable happy blond twinkish one with a leather vest. its a nice change from creepy 15 year old bikini girls though.

FFX-2 was "The Spice Girls Go on a Treasure Hunt" for the Seiko Matsuda/AKB48/fundanshi crowd

FFXV was "N'Sync Goes on a Roadtrip" for the One Direction/BTS/fujoshi crowd.

A big flaming stink posted:

lol, did this guy even play the witcher 3

like geralt is such a loving softy goofball in the game, christ the moments he has with lambert are loving adorable. it even made me like lambert!

lmao is joshy doing the thing where because geralt doesnt cry he doesn't have a full range of emotions? luv 2 hate toxic masculinity so much that i uncritically adopt its framing

The notion that people express grief in different ways is an alien concept to him.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/744987488238735360

I dunno; This one was kind of flat. I think he might have peaked with Rabbit Season.

Actually, that reminds me: has anyone here brought up Adult Swim's Smiling Friends?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bar Crow posted:

I'm sure it won't qualify for some reason according to his toxic masculinity Calvinball.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Max Wilco posted:

FFX-2 was "The Spice Girls Go on a Treasure Hunt" for the Seiko Matsuda/AKB48/fundanshi crowd

Wouldn’t fundanshi by definition be more into FFXV?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

hopeandjoy posted:

Wouldn’t fundanshi by definition be more into FFXV?

Yeah. I misread things, and I thought fundanshi was just the gender-swapper equivalent to fujoshi (instead of otaku girls into yaoi, its otaku boys into yuri).

Bar Crow posted:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I'm sure it won't qualify for some reason according to his toxic masculinity Calvinball.

I wouldn't even go to bat with The Dig as it is, since of all the classic LucasArts adventure, it's arguably the weakest of the bunch (not necessarily a bad game, mind you, but not one that I think a lot of people remember as fondly as Monkey Island or Day of the Tentacle).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 13, 2020

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Max Wilco posted:

Yeah. I misread things, and I thought fundanshi was just the gender-swapper equivalent to fujoshi (instead of otaku girls into yaoi, its otaku boys into yuri).

yeah despite what some people say the amount of fullon otaku guys into yuri is pretty low, they exist obvs but there isnt really a defined term for them or stereotypes associated with them

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

The notion that people express grief in different ways is an alien concept to him.

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/744987488238735360

I dunno; This one was kind of flat. I think he might have peaked with Rabbit Season.

Actually, that reminds me: has anyone here brought up Adult Swim's Smiling Friends?

yeah he thinks emotions have to be extremely expressed. like i dont cry much not because "I AM A MAN" but because i just dont, i do tear up a bit at sad poo poo but not bawling. idk. also games to relax me but lol. it depends on the person i guess.

on meatcanyon. i though rabbit season was ok but not his peak. i liked the rugrats and ed one the best so far and i really liked the adventure time one as was ben 10. i think he has some more good ones in him.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

In defense of McIntosh talk, while he is a complete hack who only exists to take things down instead of actually build and recommend, he is unfortunately a successful hack. Still there's only so much one can get out of a scratched ecord.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao99bNrJ_1Q

Oooooooh poo poo!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
I haven't watched Picard. Is RLM complaining about it because it's genuinely flawed or because it's not like TNG?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

rudecyrus posted:

I haven't watched Picard. Is RLM complaining about it because it's genuinely flawed or because it's not like TNG?

It's incredibly generic sci-fi. Like the plot is a cheap knock off of Mass effect. It's painfully bad to see. It lacks all the flavor and character of any other version of trek.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I loved it. There’s one aspect that’s obviously lifted from Mass Effect, but I don’t mind that so much because it works within the context of the show. If it looks generic, that’s only because Star Trek was what defined sci-fi for many years and influenced many later works, including Mass Effect.

Plus it’s just a well-made show overall. Patrick Stewart elevates anything he’s in and for the most part the rest of the cast is able to keep up with him. The production design is great, and the mystery kept me interested without dragging on for too long, thanks to its short season. Before it got started I had some worries about it being too preachy based on some comments Stewart had made, but that ended up being downplayed or at least presented in a way that didn't stick out and annoy me, unlike what would usually happen when TNG tried to tackle some sort of real-world issue.

It’s not perfect, though. The Romulan swordsman guy didn’t do much in most scenes other than just stand around and introducing a fatal disease for Picard to be dying of only to immediately resurrect him via an identical robot body feels like something they would’ve done on an episode of Voyager as a way of pressing the reset button, but those are small things next to all that the show got right.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean Sonic Forces is an appeal to nostalgia. Specifically the nostalgia of being a part of the sonic fandom in middle school. It is hilarious and the reason people hate it is just an inability look back on that sort of childhood enthusiasm without embarrassment. Forces and Mania are both perfect indulgences of two different bits of nostalgia.
Huh? People sincerely got a kick out the avatar character, so much that it’s commonly accepted as the highlight of the entire game.

Forces is disliked because the level design is bad, with bland stages that are too short to do anything interesting. Classic Sonic feels tacked on, especially coming mere months after a stellar 2D game. Also the story is just inconsistent, wasting the delightfully edgy villain and struggling to decide if it wants to be the lighter Saturday Morning plots of the 10s or the angsty melodrama of the 00s.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It's incredibly generic sci-fi. Like the plot is a cheap knock off of Mass effect. It's painfully bad to see. It lacks all the flavor and character of any other version of trek.

thats what i have heard. new star trek seems to miss what made old star trek (TNO,TNG,DS9,voyerger) good. in old trek, the talking/drama WAS the action and it was dramatic for it. now its just action and gore and poo poo.

Kim Justice posted:

In defense of McIntosh talk, while he is a complete hack who only exists to take things down instead of actually build and recommend, he is unfortunately a successful hack. Still there's only so much one can get out of a scratched ecord.

yeah, thats what sucks. bob and such rightfully get pushed out but he gets to remain in orbit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

thats what i have heard. new star trek seems to miss what made old star trek (TNO,TNG,DS9,voyerger) good. in old trek, the talking/drama WAS the action and it was dramatic for it. now its just action and gore and poo poo.

yeah, thats what sucks. bob and such rightfully get pushed out but he gets to remain in orbit.

lmao at Voyager being good

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Neither of the new Trek shows are that and RLM's takes on them are really, really bad. Along the lines of sneering about current writers being hacks who don't understand what Star Trek should be while they can't follow basic plot points and misrepresent things from older Trek to make their arguments work.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i mean most of the 3d sonic games are total gutter trash but generations fuckin rules

Uh, why? What is missing from those games that Mania and Generations have?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Picard is a very bad show. Not sure what RLMs take does that makes that not true.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Spark That Bled posted:

Uh, why? What is missing from those games that Mania and Generations have?

mania isn't even a 3d sonic game so i have no idea why you're even bringing it up in a conversation about how poo poo most 3d sonic games are, and generations doesn't even remotely play anything like any 3d sonic game aside from colors.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I had Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as a kid on GameCube, and I remember they were just not fun at all. Speaking as someone who grew up with those games, I don't even understand how you can have nostalgia for them

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Pants Donkey posted:

Huh? People sincerely got a kick out the avatar character, so much that it’s commonly accepted as the highlight of the entire game.

Forces is disliked because the level design is bad, with bland stages that are too short to do anything interesting. Classic Sonic feels tacked on, especially coming mere months after a stellar 2D game. Also the story is just inconsistent, wasting the delightfully edgy villain and struggling to decide if it wants to be the lighter Saturday Morning plots of the 10s or the angsty melodrama of the 00s.
The intended way to play Sonic Forces is the same as watching old B movies on your local public access channel. With a group of friends laughing at how seat of their pants the dumb writing is. Most of the bad 3d sonic games have way too much busy work or boring downtime in their hilarious fanfiction plot elements, but you can buzz through all of Forces in one maybe too evenings. It's great.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Generations plays exactly like day Unleashed lol, what are you on about? There's a smooth line from Unleashed to Generations to Forces with a slight diversion in a slower, more explorey direction for the Wii's benefit in Colours.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

I loved it. There’s one aspect that’s obviously lifted from Mass Effect, but I don’t mind that so much because it works within the context of the show. If it looks generic, that’s only because Star Trek was what defined sci-fi for many years and influenced many later works, including Mass Effect.

That one aspect being literally the entire main plot. And the ship design. And the framework of the story of Shepard Picard going round planets, solving problems while chasing clues to a glimpse of a prophecy. And the whole reveal that it's literally a direct ripoff of Mass Effect 1.

And functionally ends how ME2 starts.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Casey Finnigan posted:

I had Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 as a kid on GameCube, and I remember they were just not fun at all. Speaking as someone who grew up with those games, I don't even understand how you can have nostalgia for them

i think the dreamcast plays a big role in the fond memories of sonic adventure 1. it was a launch game for dreamcast, which that entire launch itself was exciting and huge at the time, it was sonic finally getting a real major release for the first time in several years, and while the game is poo poo, it was still cool and neat at the time seeing stuff like the killer whale sequence, which looked crazy considering its competition were n64 and ps1 games that couldn't hope to look anywhere near that good.

i admittedly have a soft spot for the first sonic adventure even though that game is all kinds of bad and i'll never defend it. partly it is due to dreamcast nostalgia, but also i find the game kind of endearing in its shittiness. plus there's the chao garden which i do think is actually a good part of the game, except when you need to go play the main part of the game to get more animals to feed to them.

sonic adventure 2 however i have no love for ironic or otherwise, it's like they doubled down on the worst aspects of adventure 1 and the fact that so many people say that it's a better game than the first adventure fuckin blows my mind. i don't think i've ever had any less fun doing anything in any game ever as i did playing fuckin meteor herd, and then having to do it again as rouge.

Dabir posted:

Generations plays exactly like day Unleashed lol, what are you on about? There's a smooth line from Unleashed to Generations to Forces with a slight diversion in a slower, more explorey direction for the Wii's benefit in Colours.

if i had the tolerance to actually get through the godfuckingawful werehog horse poo poo to play more of unleashed then maybe i'd have acknowledged that, but i didn't even make it through the first one of those. i already cannot fuckin stand god of war combat let alone really badly done god of war combat.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Seemlar posted:

Neither of the new Trek shows are that and RLM's takes on them are really, really bad. Along the lines of sneering about current writers being hacks who don't understand what Star Trek should be while they can't follow basic plot points and misrepresent things from older Trek to make their arguments work.
So what exactly are they wrong about? Because I've not watched all of Picard, but what I watched seemed pretty bad. Also it is true that Star Trek shouldn't be a schlocky action show.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Andrast posted:

lmao at Voyager being good

yeah, its very much the least good of the older shows. i'll give picard a watch at some point.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

Those are the last games with a Chao Garden in them so that's probably part of it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That one aspect being literally the entire main plot. And the ship design. And the framework of the story of Shepard Picard going round planets, solving problems while chasing clues to a glimpse of a prophecy. And the whole reveal that it's literally a direct ripoff of Mass Effect 1.

And functionally ends how ME2 starts.

Like I said, a lot of that is either stuff that Mass Effect took from Star Trek in the first place (no insult intended to ME there, it made good use of what it took) or is so common to the genre that you can’t say it’s ripping off any one source.

adamcantsleep
Mar 20, 2016

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Picard is a very bad show. Not sure what RLMs take does that makes that not true.

It was embarrassingly bad and its success is proof that people would celebrate anything that had Patrick Stewart uttering his TNG catchphrases. I haven't watched much of Discovery, but it's hard to imagine it being as awful as Picard was (even with the infamous bits I've seen out of context such as psychopath Harry Mudd, "yum, yum", "this is the power of math, people", etc.).

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Rich and Mike have been complaining about Picard on re:View for months, so if you want a preview of what's coming, go watch them experience each episode in real-time.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pants Donkey posted:

I love Infinite, he sucks. So bad. Like, his entire backstory is “Shadow made fun of him and he got mad”. I have no idea why they wrote him to be so laughably pathetic but it’s one of the things I’ll take from the game forever, along with the OC creator and Sonic being tortured for months.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I was vaguely interested in Star Trek: Picard. Then I read this (from someone's Tumblr), which killed what little interest I had pretty quickly.

quote:

1) Alex Kurtzman - the showrunner - hates Star Trek. This isn’t a BS statement, the guy has said multiple times that he has never seen the originals TNG, or DS9 and doesn’t like Rodenberry’s vision. You might recognize this man as the lead writer for both Amazing Spidermans. He’s a hack with connections, and ruins every franchise he touches.

2) this shows in the series as everything that makes Star Trek Star Trek is gone. No more post-scarcity economy. No more exploration of ideals. The Federation is now a standard neo-conservative punching bag. Romulans are a dying race and have been reduced to helpless refugees despite having a massive empire. No one acts professionally or talks things out, everyone is aggressive and angry and wants to have one-liners.

3) the human-driven plot threads and speculative fiction that defined the series have been replaced with your generic mcguffin plot where mysterious bad guy want thing to build mysterious doomsday weapon.

4) bad fight scenes drive plot, not interesting dialogue or them working things out.

5) Despite supposedly being a Picard character study, the show completely butchers his character. The showrunners seem to have written him based off of Patric Stewart’s own personality and not Picards, thus why he comes off as an emotional, sickly sentimental man instead of the good-natured yet stoic man that he was. He has no real dignity and his relationship to other characters doesn’t make sense.

6) because the show runner and writers are hacks, they can’t come up with novel themes or ways to explore the human condition so they substitute them with shallow allusions to contemporary politics into their show. This completely misses the point of ST and Rodenbarry’s vision while making everyone and everything out of character.

7) the show is written as a bad serial and therefore most of the episodes feel like stop gaps for one or two important scenes.

In short, a man who hates ST and makes generic and poorly written movies made a new ST that is a hate-letter to the franchise while also being poorly written and generic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

I love Infinite, he sucks. So bad. Like, his entire backstory is “Shadow made fun of him and he got mad”. I have no idea why they wrote him to be so laughably pathetic but it’s one of the things I’ll take from the game forever, along with the OC creator and Sonic being tortured for months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W1oApC43Pw

tehsnaker did a fun thing about that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tOLtWfI-0&t=54s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8pamiPdwA

he is also doing a 4 part on yakuza 4 which is my favorite after 0.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 13, 2020

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The Sanic Adventure games were fun, though admittedly that's with a caveat that they were also some of those games where bugginess actually varied wildly on which port you played, so I had better experiences than some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I will never understand why people want a Sonic Adventure 3.