Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Alaois posted:

watch mushishi

I actually watched that back when it was on netflix, it was very good.

I might actually just go track it down and watch it again now that i'm thinking about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you liked Tatami Galaxy you’ll loving love The Night Is Short, Walk On Girl, as its the same director doing a story by the same author about largely the same characters in a slightly different setting

Ooh, thank you very much, will definitely give this a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I love when people act like all anime is terrible because it has gross poo poo in it's extremely wide form of media, then a bunch of those same people I've known then uncritically love the babby's first dark fantasy rapefest that ASOIAF is.

Also KLK has rad as hell music.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Which Yu-Gi-Oh! series dub is the one that is essentially a proto abridged series? The one with the Arnold Schwarzenegger mammoth (and I think it also had the the weird as gently caress monster card that was a reference to cock and ball torture???)

GX had Crystal Beef Arnold Mammoth (who was voiced by Goku, along with other amazing roles he had in GX like Baby Cage Match Goku and Hip Hop Goku).

Arc V had Sergey Volkov, aka if Sigma from Mega Man had a BDSM enthusiast deck and used a motorcycle to uppercut people into buildings.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

The director of Cowboy Bebop prefers the dub

Black Lagoon's dub is also like, the indisputably correct way to watch it as well.

Golden Boy and Baccano too.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

IronicDongz posted:

that's kind of a weird take when so much of ds3 is just a ds1 rehash. also it's got by far the most interesting world design with how interconnected the layouts are and how many different routes there are to progress through the game

Dark Souls 3 is a Demon’s Souls rehash with a lot of Dark Souls 1 flare and a secret Dark Souls 2 ending. I’m not even joking around with the Demon’s Souls thing, there are so goddamn many nods to that game in DS3.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

My edit got eaten by being the last post on the last page so to reiterate: watch eizouken, same director as tatami galaxy (Masaaki Yuasa, who is incredible) and is a fantastic story about making art

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Black Lagoon's dub is also like, the indisputably correct way to watch it as well.

but then you don't get Revy speaking English in the Japanese dub

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

but then you don't get Revy speaking English in the Japanese dub

It's an unfortunate sacrifice, but one that I'm willing to make.

Also in late Souls talk, Scholar of the First Sin is the best of the Souls games, bring power stance back you coward Miyazaki, it was the best mechanic added to the series.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Talking about dubs without talking about the greatest dub, Samuri Pizza Cats

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Senerio posted:

Talking about dubs without talking about the greatest dub, Shin-Chan

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Yardbomb posted:

Also in late Souls talk, Scholar of the First Sin is the best of the Souls games, bring power stance back you coward Miyazaki, it was the best mechanic added to the series.

I’ve been playing through the Dark Souks trilogy on PC recently. I’m currently on 3, but when I was tearing through SotFS, I settled on power-stancing greatswords because gently caress yeah.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

My edit got eaten by being the last post on the last page so to reiterate: watch eizouken, same director as tatami galaxy (Masaaki Yuasa, who is incredible) and is a fantastic story about making art

I haven't watched Eizouken though I think I would like it, but every time I see the full title I sing it to the tune of "Keep your hands off of my woman, motherfuckahhhhhh"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Yardbomb posted:

Never underestimate what authentic accents can do for a translation. It was also nice for a black person to be voicing Dutch in Black Lagoon.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

i am tim! posted:

I’ve been playing through the Dark Souks trilogy on PC recently. I’m currently on 3, but when I was tearing through SotFS, I settled on power-stancing greatswords because gently caress yeah.

Power stance seriously rules, it gave already good weapons more moves to play with, it made more alright weapons actually good and cool and it made stupid meme loadouts more fun.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

My only real comment on anime right now is that I'm intermittently in the opening stages of a very big project and the amount of anime/manga games that exist on all major platforms is like some ludicrous monolith reaching up to the very tip of the sky. I never truly grasped just how freaking many Doraemon games are there, and I don't think one of them ever hit the West. And Gundam. GUNDAM. loving hell. I really hope to god most of those awful looking PS2 visual novels aren't connected to some anime or other.

Not liking anime because it's apparently all got weird problematic poo poo in it for the mens is crap, though. I mean, I don't have much of an opinion on it because it's not really my thing. No need to just, I dunno, make poo poo up.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Yardbomb posted:

Baccano too.

I thought the Baccano dub had really fake New Yawk accents and it took me out of it more than just watching it in Japanese would have.

Only two dubs that I've ever liked are English Dragon Ball Z (which is the true form of DBZ because high-pitched Japanese Goku is messed up) and Cowboy Bebop. Some games have good English dubbing too like Persona 4 and Dragon Quest XI. There's also a pretty small talent pool for English dub voice actors, and it makes things distracting to hear the same voices over and over.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

My only real comment on anime right now is that I'm intermittently in the opening stages of a very big project and the amount of anime/manga games that exist on all major platforms is like some ludicrous monolith reaching up to the very tip of the sky. I never truly grasped just how freaking many Doraemon games are there, and I don't think one of them ever hit the West. And Gundam. GUNDAM. loving hell. I really hope to god most of those awful looking PS2 visual novels aren't connected to some anime or other.

Not liking anime because it's apparently all got weird problematic poo poo in it for the mens is crap, though. I mean, I don't have much of an opinion on it because it's not really my thing. No need to just, I dunno, make poo poo up.

Enjoy your Sega Saturn visual novels!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Samurai Pizza Cats :colbert:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Best anime is still Slayers.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

The Famicom Samurai Pizza Cats game is reaaaallly good.

Alaois posted:

Enjoy your Sega Saturn visual novels!

Oh god no

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Yardbomb posted:

I love when people act like all anime is terrible because it has gross poo poo in it's extremely wide form of media, then a bunch of those same people I've known then uncritically love the babby's first dark fantasy rapefest that ASOIAF is.

Also KLK has rad as hell music.

don't lose your way (like klk did after the halfway point)

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Pants Donkey posted:

Samuri Pizza Cats :colbert:

Who do you call when you want some pepperoni?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Speaking of which, guess what Bennett did a video on last week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8L7IJ1D11M

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Senerio posted:

Talking about dubs without talking about the greatest dub, Samuri Pizza Cats

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I T S T I M E

https://twitter.com/NaiIgarden/status/1253170871738433548

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 23, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo_Crimson posted:

A lot of comedy anime gets way better dubbed. Cromartie High, Konosuba, etc.

Panty and Stocking's dub dialogue is even fouler than the original dialogue and makes a great show amazing.

Nichijou's dub is actually really good too, aside from the blind-literal translation of one of the character's name as "Hakase" when it's meant to be the title of "Professor" (The character's real name never being brought up).

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Best anime is still Slayers.

Everything past Try is kinda bland though. The best anime is actually the first opening to Space Dandy. In this four part YouTube video series, I will explain why

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Casey Finnigan posted:

Dragon Ball Z (which is the true form of DBZ because high-pitched Japanese Goku is messed up)

I've been a fan of DB/DBZ for more of my life than not by this point I'm pretty sure and yeah, I've just never even began to be able to make do with grandma Goku, the VA is a cool lady, I've tried, but I cannot take it.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My mission in this life is to try and convince people that don't watch anime to watch Nichijou despite it being an anime about three cute middle school girls.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Everyone should watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The dub is better than Cowboy Bebop.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Junpei Hyde posted:

klk would be unequivocably better if you cut out about 20% of it

This is true of so many things, if it wasn't for the tyranny of runtime, cutting the weak or counterproductive parts of media make for better media overall.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Vanderdeath posted:

Everything past Try is kinda bland though. The best anime is actually the first opening to Space Dandy. In this four part YouTube video series, I will explain why

Hey! Revolution and Evolution-R were pretty good!

Takoluka posted:

Everyone should watch Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. The dub is better than Cowboy Bebop.

Mary Elizabeth McGlynn owns a lot.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

I'd disagree on it being better than Bebop. It's a standout dub, but there's a few bits of noticeably-stilted make-it-fit dialogue here-and-there.

Dias posted:

My mission in this life is to try and convince people that don't watch anime to watch Nichijou despite it being an anime about three cute middle school girls.

You use the deer-wrestling clip like the rest of us, duh :colbert:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Et0a8fnuw

On a side-note, I'm honestly impressed with Nichijou's dub, just for pulling off some pretty difficult things like localizing the haiku's.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'd disagree on it being better than Bebop. It's a standout dub, but there's a few bits of noticeably-stilted make-it-fit dialogue here-and-there.

I don't think it's leaps and bounds better, but I will always recommend it first and CB in a very close second.

The dub for Space Dandy is also really good.

poparena
Oct 31, 2012

Here's a pretty good video from Tyranno on Designated Survivor, a show I had no interest in watching that turned out lot more interesting than I'd have guessed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Takoluka posted:

I don't think it's leaps and bounds better, but I will always recommend it first and CB in a very close second.

The dub for Space Dandy is also really good.

I'm guessing you heard the story about how Mary Elizabeth McGlynn is responsible for those two dubs being so good? I'd also argue that Bebop has the better dub than SAC but they're drat close thanks to her involvement. Turns out when you're recovering from a hospital stay and you can't move around very much you can put yourself to work and hammer home line deliveries and iron out the kinks that come with localization.

The best dubs come from time and effort and care. Most shows don't get this, especially nowadays where so much stuff is being localized and they have to do it fast. There ends up being a standard of "decent" for dubs but few that I'd argue really stick out as being phenomenal. You really need time to work out subtleties or deadpan deliveries. The One Punch Man dub is fine, but it doesn't quite hit the comedic timing of Saitama's monotone delivery, and english VAs have a tendency to over-act (or in some cases, under-act) even when they're playing more reserved characters. I think this is why comedy dubs tend to land better because the vocal exaggerations are easier to line up than trying to match nuance of a quiet character.

My go-to example of a bad performance in an otherwise great show is Kirk Thornton as Jin in Samurai Champloo. The rest of the dub is great, but he just sucks as Jin because he cannot emphasize his words properly to catch the character's stoic personality. There's stoic and then there's wooden. I'm honestly not sure what happened because Thornton is normally an excellent actor with a huge range, but he couldn't land the role even though it seems tailor made for him.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Apr 23, 2020

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I did not know that! Yeah, she does incredible work, and that really hammers it home.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Takoluka posted:

I did not know that! Yeah, she does incredible work, and that really hammers it home.

Basically while she was recovering she was hanging around the office where the localizations were being done, and not being able to do much else, she talked with the people working on the localizations to offer input on making the lines not only fit the characters but also the English VAs performances. You can see a massive difference when you put it up next to other dubs of the time. The episode where Spike's ship is being repaired and they take on pirates using Space Shuttle Columbia has a couple of phenomenal dialogue scenes that take full advantage of this, notably during the scene with two simultaneous conversations between Spike and Faye / The mechanic and his assistant. It's so well done you don't even register it because everything is natural and understated, like an actual conversation. Anime loves to speechify so seeing a normal conversation and then also seeing it utilize crosstalk to make things more interesting turns an ordinary scene into a standout.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what all the anime naysayers really ought to do is sit down, shut up, and watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I mean most anime fans would also benefit from watching it, given that most haven't.