Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm kind of relieved to see that it's not actually just going to be a rant video like the Fallout 3 and Sherlock videos were. Those videos were amazing but the reason they were so good was that I always understood what hbomb was saying and why he thought it was important.

RWBY does not have the same potential there. Like, it's not great, but it's largely innocuous. Just ragging on it for three hours would not seem justified to me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Casey Finnigan posted:

(I'm still disappointed at how Smash screwed Little Mac over, I would have liked to main him if he didn't suck)

I mained Mac in DS Smash lol

It was just fun hitting a random KO for a win I had no right getting.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hopefully the video ends with hbomberguy just admitting he likes rwby lol

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

honestly while i didn't end up keeping up with it the last season of rwby didnt seem that bad, interesting Intrigue stuff was happening at least

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Endorph posted:

hopefully the video ends with hbomberguy just admitting he likes rwby lol
Considering he said he used to be a big fan of early RoosterTeeth and Oum's work, I give it 1:9 odds.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Roasting RWBY would make more sense if it came out during like season5 which was some of the worst poo poo I've ever seen in my life but 6 and what I've seen of 7 has been like, actually good so it'd be really weird to me if that was his conclusion.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Max Wilco posted:

I feel like a lot of the disdain or mockery for a lot of the punk/goth/emo/nu-metal stuff around that time was more over how over-exaggerated it came across as. I dunno about MCR specifically, but I think songs like Linkin Park's "Crawling" or Simple Plan's "How Could This Happen to Me" still get used as punchlines for mocking super-edgy, mopey characters in fiction. :emo:

MCR never really had like any banner emo-y songs the way Crawling became synonymous with emo teens. During that period Gerard Way was putting out bangers about being sad his grandma died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCyoocDxBA

Those teens really liked MCR's aesthetics though, like Black Parade's gothy steampunk visuals are exactly what the kids who grew up obsessively watching Nightmare Before Christmas would loving love, and even then their music had a lot of uplifting anthems and poo poo versus directionless suburban teen angst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bbTtPL1jRs

So... normally I wait to catch up on RWBY until the seasons are uploaded to youtube and The Algorithm reminds me it exists, but after seeing hbomberguy had over 3 hours of things to say about RWBY I was wondering if anything extra wild happened in season 7 that'd instigate this and well....

In addition to having some more Opinions on appropriate ways to protest and riot against a lovely system, which whatever not outside what it was doing before.... in the Year of the Lord 2019, RWBY decided it had some Takes to share on the 2016 US Presidential Election.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

A lot of the founders seem to be bailing too. Burnie Burns jumped ship recently.

Who does that leave? Joel and Burnie were co-founders if the company and I think Matt was the third guy. Joel was let go a few weeks back for reasons probably related to pandemic cuts and his lovely personal tweets. I know Geoff and Jack are still there since they did a Halo Reach achievement Hunter special when the Master Chief Collection hit PC, and I think Gus is still there being a shill on their podcasts.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

So... normally I wait to catch up on RWBY until the seasons are uploaded to youtube and The Algorithm reminds me it exists, but after seeing hbomberguy had over 3 hours of things to say about RWBY I was wondering if anything extra wild happened in season 7 that'd instigate this and well....

In addition to having some more Opinions on appropriate ways to protest and riot against a lovely system, which whatever not outside what it was doing before.... in the Year of the Lord 2019, RWBY decided it had some Takes to share on the 2016 US Presidential Election.

Rwby becomes more bad and more bad in ways that are worth talking about the more serious it tries to be, the less it tries to have plot the more it can just be light popcorn fun. Adding in lore just raises a bunch of questions that wouldn't come up if it was just "Colour coded girls punch monsters/bad guys"

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

It's funny seeing people post that season whatever is good now, only for others to immediately describe what sounds like absolute dogshit

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Nuns with Guns posted:

MCR never really had like any banner emo-y songs the way Crawling became synonymous with emo teens. During that period Gerard Way was putting out bangers about being sad his grandma died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCCyoocDxBA

Those teens really liked MCR's aesthetics though, like Black Parade's gothy steampunk visuals are exactly what the kids who grew up obsessively watching Nightmare Before Christmas would loving love, and even then their music had a lot of uplifting anthems and poo poo versus directionless suburban teen angst:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bbTtPL1jRs

DOesn't hurt that the video to famous last words is legitimately creepy. Gerard looks like a demon in this from the way it's lit. Also, as much as I love Welcome to the black Parade, the video doesn't really hold up. There are just so many quick cuts that you cant get a good look at anything in it.

Also, Simple Plan's Untitled is a joke song.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0O3PI7DUw

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Stormgale posted:

Rwby becomes more bad and more bad in ways that are worth talking about the more serious it tries to be, the less it tries to have plot the more it can just be light popcorn fun. Adding in lore just raises a bunch of questions that wouldn't come up if it was just "Colour coded girls punch monsters/bad guys"

Pretty much, yeah, like I'm here to see a girl with a scythe/gun/sniper rifle fight a guy with a robotic scorpion tail while too-on-the-nose electronic buttrock songs play. Please stop trying to be heady, formerly poser-animated American anime.

Crocoswine posted:

It's funny seeing people post that season whatever is good now, only for others to immediately describe what sounds like absolute dogshit

Season 7 introduces the character of Robyn Hill and her Happy Huntresses. She's a hero of the people and running for office/repatriating supplies to help the literal underclass of a physically stratified city. Everyone is sure Hill will win!

Except at the last moment... the election is hacked! And rigged (by an agent of the primary antagonist and effectively immortal evil demigod who is trying to destroy the world) so that the wealthy sociopathic capitalist she's running against wins.

BigRed0427 posted:

DOesn't hurt that the video to famous last words is legitimately creepy. Gerard looks like a demon in this from the way it's lit. Also, as much as I love Welcome to the black Parade, the video doesn't really hold up. There are just so many quick cuts that you cant get a good look at anything in it.

And we haven't even touched on that period where MCR collaborated with Gerard Way's good friend, influential comic writer, and IRL magick sorcerer Grant Morrison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgnDLWeeaM

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Nuns with Guns posted:

Season 7 introduces the character of Robyn Hill and her Happy Huntresses. She's a hero of the people and running for office/repatriating supplies to help the literal underclass of a physically stratified city. Everyone is sure Hill will win!

Except at the last moment... the election is hacked! And rigged (by an agent of the primary antagonist and effectively immortal evil demigod who is trying to destroy the world) so that the wealthy sociopathic capitalist she's running against wins.

I wonder how much foreign media I've seen that has extremely hackneyed political messages that I am able to just happily ignore because I don't know the context.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casey Finnigan posted:

I wonder how much foreign media I've seen that has extremely hackneyed political messages that I am able to just happily ignore because I don't know the context.

Well for starters Excel Saga made a reference to the Tokyo subway sarin gas attack, but this was censored with bleeps in the Japanese broadcast while the English dub was not, meaning the reference was only provided to foreign viewers without context.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Nuns with Guns posted:

my stomach hurts

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Nuns with Guns posted:

Huge :lol: at the creators of RWBY having the most basic NeoLibBoomer view of the 2016 election.

Hillary Clinton, Hero of the people :911:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 14, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

a poorly animated anime girl runs up to the screen and yells "THERES A GOTDANG CHEETO IN THE WHITEHOUSE!!!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

which one of you herbs said season 7 got better, defend your thesis after I had read this with my human eyes

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, Qrow's subplot, his first major storyline after his VA got replaced for being a rapist, is such a mesmerising disaster that it genuinely would have been an improvement to just kill him off instead.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Jamie Faith posted:

Huge :lol: at the creators of RWBY having the most basic NeoLibBoomer view of the 2016 election.

Hillary Clinton, Hero of the people :911:

You know somethings wrong when Hideo Kojima comes across as subtle by comparison.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

I will never not love AFI, even their sellout album(s).

Dominic Noble is having people read EL James' The Mister to him for charity and god this book is soooooooooo bad. Like worse than 50 Shades bad, at least 50 Shades had people doing things (bad things, but things nevertheless) and not internally monologuing for 10 pages at a time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GImEju071U

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

Phoenix Wright is pretty directly scathing of Japanese police and legal system. I think some of the more absurd poo poo that seems like a joke is like, lifted from actual horseshit Japanese prosecutors have pulled off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TV Guide capsule summary: This season on RWBY: Ruby yells "We got her!" and the election is made null and the right people put in charge. Jump cut to Yang and Blake's wedding. They have said two words to each other this whole season. Weiss complains that it's hard to be a military industrial complex profiteer. Also the robot girl does something cute!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
And we haven't even talked about how one character is Just Nyan Cat yet!!!!

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

And we haven't even talked about how one character is Just Nyan Cat yet!!!!
That's a redeeming quality of the series, though. Also, her partner has a magic trumpet, so I like to think he's a reference to the dooting skeleton, though he's clearly supposed to be a reference to an RT in-joke.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'd never heard of this terrible RWBY and looked up how it looks and even if it had the best plot and characters ever I wouldn't be able to watch it.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
It had some cool looking trailers so it had my attention right up until the first episode aired

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
RWBY is one of those things that makes me kind of mad because it's not good, it's really not good. But it's also insanely popular because the people who made it had a massive inbuilt platform and fandom thanks to a thing that was already popular and a near monopoly on that kind of content at the time; so it spread like wildfire despite every aspect of it being borderline unwatchable garbage. It's basically like a more anime version of Zybourne Clock, except serious and real. Just a distilled and supremely generic pile of everything that seems "anime" ripped wholesale from other series.

Basically its success, while other really well thought out and designed creations fail, is proof that there is no god.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jun 14, 2020

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
after like ten pages of this I still don’t know what RWBY stands for, or is

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Pretty much, yeah, like I'm here to see a girl with a scythe/gun/sniper rifle fight a guy with a robotic scorpion tail while too-on-the-nose electronic buttrock songs play. Please stop trying to be heady, formerly poser-animated American anime.

And we haven't even touched on that period where MCR collaborated with Gerard Way's good friend, influential comic writer, and IRL magick sorcerer Grant Morrison:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTgnDLWeeaM

I can't believe hill-dawg is the newest RWBY character. What the actual heck.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Bonaventure posted:

after like ten pages of this I still don’t know what RWBY stands for, or is
It stands for the first names of the four main characters. Ruby, Weiss, Blake, and Yang.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i cant believe none of these three people know what the prince of egypt is

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

dmboogie posted:

Let's talk about how they do Ginger dirty. She would at least hide by camping the skies in her flying chicken coop

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The biggest example of the "Lore is bad for rwby" is the backstory, I am gonna spoil it because someone might care

Back in ancient times There was a couple, and one of them died.
The Widow went to the god of life (who is real and exists in the world) and asked him to fix this, he said no.
She went to the god of death, lied a little and got her husband back.
God Of life shows up, curses them both forever.
She raises an army to fight these godsfor being assholes they kill everyone, curse her more? and tell the now alive Guy "If we come back and the world isn't at peace we destroy everything".
Also they make it so he's immortal by posessing people when he dies and slowly absorbing their conciousness.
he is the good guy?

The above is dumb, the above is dumb in a way that by trying to explain it, it raises a bunch or moral questions I don't really think fit "Cute girls punch bad guys"

RWBY also has a bunch of problems with until recently how it sold it's LGBT bonafides which didn't exist.

Also on a pedantic note, I feel the fight quality has gotten worse. Specifically something v noticable is they tend to have either the body moving (as in the person is running or whatever) or doing complicated stuff with the uper torso (like sword swinging)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0&t=102s This is from a few season ago it still is really jarring for me, especially when she does the 3 stabs and the spin. (this could be just me)

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 15, 2020

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Stormgale posted:

The biggest example of the "Lore is bad for rwby" is the backstory, I am gonna spoil it because someone might care

Back in ancient times There was a couple, and one of them died.
The Widow went to the god of life (who is real and exists in the world) and asked him to fix this, he said no.
She went to the god of death, lied a little and got her husband back.
God Of life shows up, curses them both forever.
She raises an army to fight these godsfor being assholes they kill everyone, curse her more? and tell the now alive Guy "If we come back and the world isn't at peace we destroy everything".
Also they make it so he's immortal by posessing people when he dies and slowly absorbing their conciousness.
he is the good guy?

The above is dumb, the above is dumb in a way that by trying to explain it, it raises a bunch or moral questions I don't really think fit "Cute girls punch bad guys"

RWBY also has a bunch of problems with until recently how it sold it's LGBT bonafides which didn't exist.

Also on a pedantic note, I feel the fight quality has gotten worse. Specifically something v noticable is they tend to have either the body moving (as in the person is running or whatever) or doing complicated stuff with the uper torso (like sword swinging)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZAS_rzgCE0&t=102s This is from a few season ago it still is really jarring for me, especially when she does the 3 stabs and the spin. (this could be just me)

Wait is that who Ozpin turned out to be? Please tell me they finally answered that dangling thread in the dumbest way possible

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

sexpig by night posted:

Wait is that who Ozpin turned out to be? Please tell me they finally answered that dangling thread in the dumbest way possible

Yes, his real name is Ozma because I guess they decided that they were too subtle before.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Subtlety? In a show where a Corgi is named Zwei?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yes, his real name is Ozma because I guess they decided that they were too subtle before.

I loving hate this show

also, just, like...that's BAD immortal god-being op-sec! If I was named Frank and was trying to be a subtle immortal god I wouldn't name my new alias 'Franklin'!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dmboogie posted:

forget that, they did Mrs. Brisby rotten. she's a survivor through and through.

most of the rest of the list was pretty accurate though