Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
We also have the ticking time bomb of brexit to look forward to which is fun. Love that we elected the laziest racist in the land to deal with the most complicated trade agreements our country has had to negotiate in a generation, very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
schtroumpf is French for smurf

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a smurf is a little blue person

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Ague Proof posted:

Vaush learned the Words of Death.

And yet he is still alive, curious. I am very smart.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

a smurf is a little blue person

Bonaventure posted:

schtroumpf is French for smurf

i see, thanks you two

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Calico Heart posted:

World is in a pandemic, police are abducting american citizens in the midst of the largest protest movement in US history

breadtuber: I have a lot of problems with this cartoon

While I have Problems with breadtube, I need something to laugh my rear end off at in this terrible time.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

okay but what's smurf mean in this context

Do you know who SonicFox is? Smurf is when a good a games person uses a different account to play games. No one expects anything from the guy with a rank of 403 when the highest tier is like, 10 million+ and then he somehow wipes your entire team without getting killed once.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

A Smurf in gaming is somebody making new accounts for ranked play, and stomping on newbies/worse players with them.

Also I hate that from how lovely " Gamers" are the word gaming reads like something that is likely poo poo; leaves a bad taste in my mouth now.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

StratGoatCom posted:

While I have Problems with breadtube, I need something to laugh my rear end off at in this terrible time.

yea gently caress off with this 'it's the duty of any politically minded person to focus on nothing but suffering and pain' hair-shirt bullshit. The world doesn't need another white guy saying 'guys, I think racism may be bad' if he doesn't have anything interesting to add when he does it, but I could use two hours of laughing at RWBY and nodding as the host shares my trauma of Having Experienced Bleach

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
It is nice to know I am not the only one who remembers way too much Bleach because I made the very poor decision that it was the Big Three manga I was going to latch onto.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Gonna be honest I don't get how people can be especially mad at "leftists" as agroup while living in America, a nation that is a failed state thanks to liberals. Like yeah sometimes peeps got a bad take but you're literally going to die because of some Joe Biden motherfucker deciding it wasn't worth making your medication available or preventing the domestic abuser who guns down the store you're at from having an assault rifle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sydin posted:

It is nice to know I am not the only one who remembers way too much Bleach because I made the very poor decision that it was the Big Three manga I was going to latch onto.

chump move, I just went uber-weeb and read all of them.

Now I've got a Bleach shaped brain tumor in me for nothing, unlike my very useful and cool DBZ and Naruto tumors.

I call it my bankai, because it's loving meaningless despite seeming bad and scary.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I saw maybe 50? Episodes of Bleach and came away from that thinking that 8 characters were cool and none of them were Ichigo so I was doomed to failure from the beginning.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

professor metis posted:

Can you elaborate on this because it seems like attributing a tragedy to a subset of people you already dislike. Antis as I understand it typically means people who protest pedophilia, sexual abuse, other forms of discrimination in media and fandom to sometimes absurd and themselves abusive lengths. Saying the people who harassed Hana Kimura were all antis seems very reductive. I would also consider it more a western social media phenomenon than Japanese, although to be fair I know nothing of Japanese social media so who knows.

i don't really know how it fits into the "Antis Paradigm" but the majority of people who harassed Hana Kimura into suicide were anti-"the existence of mixed-race Japanese people"

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

yea gently caress off with this 'it's the duty of any politically minded person to focus on nothing but suffering and pain' hair-shirt bullshit. The world doesn't need another white guy saying 'guys, I think racism may be bad' if he doesn't have anything interesting to add when he does it, but I could use two hours of laughing at RWBY and nodding as the host shares my trauma of Having Experienced Bleach

I honestly can't even imagine living like that 24/7. Even some of the hardest working activists I know will happily take time to shoot the poo poo about all sorts of frivolous topics since they gotta have a dose of levity every now and then.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I watched Bleach until the end of the first Soul Society arc and figured it was a good place to stop watching. One of the best anime decisions I ever made.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
SFM Hbomb looks like an XRA background character.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I keep lol'ing at Donkey Kong in the corner.
And NCR Ranger

Srice posted:

I honestly can't even imagine living like that 24/7. Even some of the hardest working activists I know will happily take time to shoot the poo poo about all sorts of frivolous topics since they gotta have a dose of levity every now and then.
Speaking as someone who does a lot of stuff for my DSA chapter, I need outlets so I don't burn to a crisp lol

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 28, 2020

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’ve heard about kids going to extreme lengths to get people for making the wrong canary or ships, but this is the first time I’ve ever heard the term “anti” by itself anywhere. Is that just me?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Anti is a smash player who hosed a 15 year old

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ah, the creative process. Make your character, craft a very fun fighting style for them, develop a crush on them and then make an OC that you voice in the show that hangs out with them all the time.

Wait, huh?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Ruby is good in cross tag and blake is good

That's my review

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Red like roses is a meme song

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Archer666 posted:

I watched Bleach until the end of the first Soul Society arc and figured it was a good place to stop watching. One of the best anime decisions I ever made.

It's the logical place to stop watching, though if you like entertaining trainwrecks I suggest to keep going.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

That's my review

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEJ1_1N7F0Q

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

That's my review

As characters with cool designs and terrible writing they absolutely belong in fighting games.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Archer666 posted:

I have a soft spot for the Hueco Mundo arc because a lot of the arrancars were cool as hell and because later into the arc Kubo just stopped giving a poo poo and leaned hard into Aizen being an absolutely bullshit mary sue who can effortlessly 1v12 a group of captains and vice-captains, and also know every single thing that was going to occur thanks to his 9D chess plans. It was terrible story telling and characterization but it was also funny as gently caress to read in real time.

After that though there's very little redeemable about the manga even from an ironic point of view. The Fullbringers were kinda interesting and the arc seemed like it might be going somewhere before nope, just bring back all the super popular shinigami and reset the status quo. The Quincy arc was a meandering mess even by Kubo standards and it was clear he was completely checked out and just coasting to the finish line only 1/3rd into it.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I'm gonna be the weird one and say that I didn't like that hbomb video that much

I liked the red vs blue bit in the beginning though but as soon as he started talking about RWBY my interest dropped immediately.

Maybe it's because RWBY seems like a show made for and by anime-fans and I'm no anime fan and because of this the subject is boring to me, that and the fact that the video is longer than many feature length movies.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Alaois posted:

but the majority of people who harassed Hana Kimura into suicide were anti-"the existence of mixed-race Japanese people"

it seems like we already have a word for people like this that works perfectly well. So I don't know why unclear terminology needs to be dragged into things so no one actually knows what anyone else is talking about.

Anyway I haven't cared about rooster teeth since Red vs Blue in 2006ish but I would rather watch some stupid, long, pointless video about RWBY than see even more footage of horrible police brutality and people dying of covid, which I already see lots of every single day when I follow the news.

I feel like I'm having daily meltdowns over here and I'm about to lose my health insurance in less than a week so it's nice to have irrelevant bullshit like dumb videos to watch every now and then.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
genuinely shocked at the amt of ppl in this thread using the word "anti" who are presumably over the age of 18. how do you not immediately burst into flames from the embarrassment of typing like a time traveler from 2005 livejournal

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Kamrat posted:

I'm gonna be the weird one and say that I didn't like that hbomb video that much

I liked the red vs blue bit in the beginning though but as soon as he started talking about RWBY my interest dropped immediately.

Maybe it's because RWBY seems like a show made for and by anime-fans and I'm no anime fan and because of this the subject is boring to me, that and the fact that the video is longer than many feature length movies.

It's mocking something bad, therefore it is very funny.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
As someone who never watched RWBY I never knew it was that disjointed. The creative process for the first seasons seems almost uniquely chaotic and amateurish. I did keep hearing it never spent any time on its main characters though and that certainly checks out based on that video. Well, I guess it only covers three seasons, but I don't have a burning need to learn more RWBY facts.

I will say the video spent a lot more time contextualizing the show and Hbomb's interest in it than I expected, felt like it took ages to get to the criticism. As someone of similar age to Hbomb who was also into anime as a 2000s teen I definitely think that helped keep me engaged in that first like hour of the video. Main difference is I never saw any RvB or Monty Oum stuff so that all still fell kinda flat, I basically didn't learn about Roosterteeth until RWBY came out, and even then even though I heard about the show I couldn't have told you the name of the company that made it until like 2016 or some poo poo. I never was into the Newgrounds animation/Machinima gaming video internet circles they were part of building. Also I didn't even get through the first episode of Avatar nor ever finish Cowboy Bebop so there's another difference.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alaois posted:

i don't really know how it fits into the "Antis Paradigm" but the majority of people who harassed Hana Kimura into suicide were anti-"the existence of mixed-race Japanese people"
Oh so it's just the same sort of racists we have over here.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

A Sometimes Food posted:

As characters with cool designs and terrible writing they absolutely belong in fighting games.

kof and guilty gear are better written than rwby

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Kamrat posted:

That's kinda what interested me honestly: the video is less Hbomb doing an angry takedown like he did with Fallout 3 or Sherlock, and more dissecting what happens when fans try to make their own version of what they're a fan of, without understanding why they liked it or what made it work outside of "oh man that scene was cool, I want do that scene too!" The result is, unsurprisingly, that you just kinda get glorified fanfiction.

Like Hbomb acts skeeved out that the principle writers created waifus and then wrote in self-insert characters they voice who their waifus are into, but honestly that's just standard fare for bad fanfiction. All that differentiates RWBY from some really bad AU AtLA story is that it had a ton of production behind it and, for a couple seasons, Oum and his friends constantly flexing with great fight scenes.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

In a sense, RWBY has a lot of the same problems that Bleach ended up having. Cool characters, cool fights, cool powers, cool worldbuilding ideas, but the way they're all tied together is incoherent and messy.

quote:

Like Hbomb acts skeeved out that the principle writers created waifus and then wrote in self-insert characters they voice who their waifus are into, but honestly that's just standard fare for bad fanfiction.
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed that. He gets all pearlclutchy over the concept of shipping which is weird considering it's been around for literally forever. Other than that, good video.

Kaiser Mazoku fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 28, 2020

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

In a sense, RWBY has a lot of the same problems that Bleach ended up having. Cool characters, cool fights, cool powers, cool worldbuilding ideas, but the way they're all tied together is incoherent and messy.

In many ways true, but their trajectories are wildly different. Bleach starts out very simply and coherently with the plot always moving forward at a good pace. It's nothing revolutionary or even all that good but it's got a perfectly decent story told competently through the first major arc and generally very grounded characters and focus on developing them - even if some of the side characters get dropped like a hot potato. Bleach's issue was that when it got popular the creator/publisher clearly decided it had to keep going, and invented more and more new bullshit and twists and on and on until eventually nothing matters. I got out and stopped following the series quite a bit before that thankfully

In fact if RWBY actually got good at that point in season 3 and kept being good instead of apparently getting bad in different ways I'd almost say they had completely opposite arcs.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Insurrectionist posted:

In many ways true, but their trajectories are wildly different. Bleach starts out very simply and coherently with the plot always moving forward at a good pace. It's nothing revolutionary or even all that good but it's got a perfectly decent story told competently through the first major arc and generally very grounded characters and focus on developing them - even if some of the side characters get dropped like a hot potato. Bleach's issue was that when it got popular the creator/publisher clearly decided it had to keep going, and invented more and more new bullshit and twists and on and on until eventually nothing matters. I got out and stopped following the series quite a bit before that thankfully

In fact if RWBY actually got good at that point in season 3 and kept being good instead of apparently getting bad in different ways I'd almost say they had completely opposite arcs.

Yeah that's probably the main difference. Bleach started out simple and got needlessly complicated while RWBY started out needlessly complicated and got more...needlessly complicated.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Smoking Crow posted:

That's my review

I like Ruby and Yang; they're fun to play.

Also, after two-plus hours of watching RWBY footage, I now really appreciate how well they were animated in Cross Tag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

grown adult men writing themselves into their own fiction to mack on the teenage girls they created is creepy