Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Illusory Wall does an hour-long breakdown of the mechanics and design of Gimmick!, an NES cult-classic.

I've never heard of this guy before, (probably because he mostly does videos about the Souls series which I've yet to play) but Gimmick! is easily my favorite game of all time, and this is a drat fine and thorough analysis of what makes it so good. Highly recommended
i'd not heard of this game but it really looks like an indie game made sometime in the last decade with how different and detailed its approach to its own world is, and the video does a really good job of showing all of that off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beefstew posted:

Oh yeah, I think Overwatch and the later GTAs are mostly regarded as not-so-great now.

Is Overwatch really not considered good now or is it just Blizzard is being shown to be increasingly terrible as a company? "We don't pay our employees living wages... uh, here's sexy Pharah in a mecha bikini!"

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Overwatch is still good, but considering it's a five years old game it's no longer as popular as it used to be (but still pretty popular).

And GTA 5 is literally still one of the top selling games every year 7 years later.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
From what I can gather from OW playing friends, they keep compromising on the original MOBA shooter design decisions to push it increasingly towards a more twitch shooter direction. Lower time-to-kill, Healer and Tank characters being less important outside of the few who can push damage, a general feeling that teamwork and synergy is dropped as a priority.

Obviously it's cliche at this point to pin all of Blizzard's problems on Activision and upper management, but there is a general feeling that the game is being pushed towards a more CoD direction with these design decisions.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Is Overwatch really not considered good now or is it just Blizzard is being shown to be increasingly terrible as a company? "We don't pay our employees living wages... uh, here's sexy Pharah in a mecha bikini!"

i know a lot of people who left cause they feel its drifted from what originally made the game fun and dps characters get special treatment at the expense of the other roles, I think some games writers even at fan sites have written about it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Infinite probably got such harsh backlash because the beginning is really really good and it crashes and burns from there.

Also arena fights are loving garbage and that's all it is.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Thats bait.

It's not, Hellblade is clunky and bad to play, like everything NT has made, and also like everything they've made it's poorly written and unearnedly pretentious considering how badly it handles it's subject manner.

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
Ninja Theory's sound design is really good, and I'm not just saying that because some of the people who work in that department used to run and DJ the local goth night before COVID hit

I actually am, because I've never played a ninja theory game

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I'm always unreasonably annoyed when female characters are sexualized to appeal to a horny audience but not the male ones. You want women in chainmail bikini? Cool, gimme men in plate speedos then. Big hugs? Fine, but the men better be looking like they're smuggling kielbasa's in their pockets

Hot girl on girl action? Cool, gimme two twinks rawdogging each other

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
I consider DmC a personal insult but I will forever go to bat for the Bill O'Reilly boss fight.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Jeremy Parish has uploaded his latest Metroidvania Works, and this includes probably my favourite NES game, Faxanadu!

https://youtu.be/Ktp1FNt6DGo

It’s pronounced with a hard X, no matter what anyone tells you!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Mass Effect 3 has a fairly sharp curve from "This is the best game ever" to nerds throwing their Xboxes out of windows like it was the opening of SCTV, I seem to recall.

Mass Effect 3 prompting people to declare Activision(?) (E: No, EA, should have gone with my first instinct) the worst corporation of the year the same year as the BP Deep Horizon oil spill sure was a thing.

docbeard fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 5, 2020

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
EA was the worst company multiple years in a row, not Activision. Everybody loves Call of Duty.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dawgstar posted:

Also Overwatch really prides itself on having a very diverse roster of characters to choose from, including a lesbian woman, a black guy from Brazil and at least one character that explicitly hails from Hong Kong.

...Oops. Yeah, that was really hard to reconcile after the Blitzchung incident.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Don't forget that blizzard also of course doesn't make the material stating characters are gay available for countries like russia and saudi arabia, apparently china got it without issue for a while, but then it was taken down by the "media management department" of their poo poo government.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

They hosed up the balance in that game that they had to force role lock. They basically gave up on balance all together imo (now they do it differently I guess)

But the balancing they had done to get to that point just made the game not fun. Pretty sure all “attack heroes”/dps were not used for a looooong time

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I know getting mad that Overwatch isn't TF2 is old hat but I still think that the game being 6v6 really adds a whole lot more stress to every encounter since there's less people you can rely on to pick up your slack if you're bad compared to Team Fortress' 12 character max teams limit.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Personally the best time to play Overwatch was at launch. Every balance patch since launch has just been a bunch of nerfs and then briggita came out and the whole meta abandoned DPS/attack hero’s

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I loved Overwatch for the first couple years after its release but I eventually got fed up with Blizzard releasing a new patch every other week that radically changed certain characters and the overall game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

McCloud posted:

I'm always unreasonably annoyed when female characters are sexualized to appeal to a horny audience but not the male ones. You want women in chainmail bikini? Cool, gimme men in plate speedos then. Big hugs? Fine, but the men better be looking like they're smuggling kielbasa's in their pockets

Hot girl on girl action? Cool, gimme two twinks rawdogging each other
People say this but they mostly seem to talk about what guys imagine women want rather than what women actually want. See: All the people who were very confused about how popular FF15 was with women.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Props because the tone of Supernatural's fan service sad boy bits is a better fit for the sad girl bits of an idol show than for Dead or Alive.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/ZODIAC_MF/status/1291002775791456257?s=19

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

OW Peaked at Moira.

Pulsarcat posted:

It was this presentation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Pz8WiEW4U&t

it's right at the start, basically the guy says Capcom told them to imagine Dante in a western movie and they showed a slide of him in Broke Back Mountain.

It's followed mostly by awkward silence.

Then DMC5 did this (slight spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9LyYzLUyQ

DMC5 is good and knows it's fans.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Look at that scrub who can't tell Bowser the character apart from Bowser the actor who goes go-karting with Mario. This is why he keeps getting typecast!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Zedd posted:

OW Peaked at Moira.

Then DMC5 did this (slight spoilers):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV9LyYzLUyQ

DMC5 is good and knows it's fans.

I’d take demon powers in a second if I could conjure up spontaneous fireworks.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Kibayasu posted:

I’d take demon powers in a second if I could conjure up spontaneous fireworks.

Out of all the characters with demon powers out there, Dante easily got the best power set

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The first year of OW was great, but after that, it seemed to get worse with each update and addition. They really did not need more characters after like, Sombra. And Blizzard just kept removing the stuff that made the game fun. I wish I could play Overwatch 1.0 or something similar, provided it had the same playerbase as it did in 2016.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think most of Overwatch's problems as it aged had more to do with more and more people figuring out how the game works. People can't un-learn strats like dive and GOATs, and the game had flaws with regards to how powerful damage mitigation and healing were from the start.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
I tried some Overwatch for the first time in two years last week, and I have no idea why they needed three more healers or why they needed to be so ineffectual and boring. I always thought Mercy was pretty fun and Lucio and Zenyatta could also hang in a fight, but now there's two old ladies and some dude with a healing gun and all three of them don't actually seem to be good at anything. Like, maybe they could help fill in gaps if teams were larger but as it stands they are superfluous at best.

e: I'm trash at video games so maybe they are all super good actually, but I did not enjoy using any of them.

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Aug 5, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

SkeletonHero posted:

e: I'm trash at video games so maybe they are all super good actually,
it's this, sorry to say

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

People say this but they mostly seem to talk about what guys imagine women want rather than what women actually want. See: All the people who were very confused about how popular FF15 was with women.

People were confused that FF15 was popular with women? It's four different, distinct types of hot dudes with varied personalities like a boy band RPG. It was popular enough with me, at least. Out of all the games that actually have fanservice for people who are into dudes, I think FF14, FF15, and Breath of the Wild are probably the biggest ones. I've almost never seen a male character in a game that a) is wearing skimpy clothes and also b) is not a disgustingly huge muscle weirdo who exists only to be someone's fitness goals.

People talked up Overwatch as being similar to TF2 and then it wasn't at all, and even if I had wanted to get into the game they kept rebalancing it constantly. Plus there were no dedicated servers so I couldn't find any interesting or fun places like I used back when I played TF2. Plus all the other players were obnoxious so I quit the game about a month after buying it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh, I misread that as 14 because I'm an idiot. 15 makes total sense.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

IronicDongz posted:

Up to halo 4, yes. Halo 5 they dialed it back and made a very good, reasonable design that feels very "cyber space".

halo 1-4:

halo 5:

naturally, nerds bitched endlessly, which is an extra positive.
I can't say anything good about her plotline in halo 5 though

:confused: Halo 5 Cortana doesn't look all that different from Halo 4 Cortana, other than that it looks like she's wearing a suit.

Personally, I think the Halo 2 & 3 designs are the ones that look kind of weird. Halo 1 gives her a tomboy look, and 4 and 5 seem to give her some more weight, so she doesn't look so weirdly slender.

Gnome de plume posted:

What's funny to be is in the expanded universe law AIs model their hologram forms and personalities after historical figures, cowboys, ancient romans etc. Meanwhile Cortana's over there being a glowing blue naked lady like "Eh, good enough."

According to Wikipedia, Cortana original design is actually based off of the Egyptian queen Nefertiti.

In Halo 4, they based her design off of model Paisha Coffey.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's a bit of extended lore with Cortana to address the fact she has the same VA as Doctor Halsey after a lot of guessing in the fanbase resulting from it. Basically she's made from a sample of a clone Halsey made of herself as a black-ops experiment to make her own private hacker AI, and she got partnered with John-117 to try and complete the Spartan-II program (they just never really got around to giving the other Spartans their own AI partners due to the war going to poo poo, essentially). Her appearance is retconned to be based on Dr Halsey in her early 20's.

Most of the othrer AI's also are indeed a lot flashier in appearance. I guess when you only live an average of 7 years before you literally think yourself to death you gotta enjoy what you can.

Cortana's voiced by Jen Taylor who (among other roles) voiced Zoey in Left 4 Dead.

Cortana posted:

I have walked the edge of the Abyss.
I have governed the unwilling.
I have witnessed countless empires break before me.
I have seen the most courageous soldiers fall away in fear.
[I was there with the Angel at the tomb]

I have seen your future.
And I have learned.

There will be no more Sadness. No more Anger. No more Envy.

I HAVE WON.

Oh, and your poet Eliot had it all wrong:
THIS is the way the world ends....

...but hey, there's free copy paper over here! The apocalypse was totally worth it

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Halo 4 Cortana just looks like a lady who has been dressed up with body paint to look cybernetic. Looks like she should be at Burning Man.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Overwatch was poorly designed from the beginning.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

:confused: Halo 5 Cortana doesn't look all that different from Halo 4 Cortana, other than that it looks like she's wearing a suit.

Yes.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the best one of those types of games was Gigantic and it died an ignoble death so nobody can complain about Overwatch

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

3 and 4 are the ones where they really just went "HELL YEAH NAKED CYBER-GIRLFRIEND WITH BIG HONKIN' TITTIES WHOOP WHOOP"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Its been touched on in the Halo thread over in Games that the best looking Halo game is Halo 2 anniversary edition. The Blur Studio cutscenes are phenomenal and the visual upgrade manages to strike the perfect mood of making the game look the way you remember Halo 2 looking. Its like wearing a literal pair of nostalgia goggles but it looks downright beautiful.

And it has the hest looking Cortana. In the cutscenes, at least. The one time you see Cortana in engine in Anniversary they hosed up her head proportions and she has no neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

The one time you see Cortana in engine in Anniversary they hosed up her head proportions and she has no neck.

alright we're getting there they just need to go a bit further