Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Katt posted:

Na just a year of him posting random unfunny stuff. His youtube video persona is just so drastically different than his twitter persona. It's pretty jarring.

When you're making a video of his typical length, you first write a script, then you edit the script, then you do 200+ hours worth of other work, then you actually record yourself reading the script, then you edit the recording, and then you spend 48 hours uploading it to youtube. There's a lot of time to rub out any counterproductive snark.

When you write a tweet it just goes straight from your asscrack to the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

Unsurprisingly, her Justine character pulls the same poo poo. Life imitating art I suppose.

My reading of her "Argues with herself in a bunch of costumes" videos was always that that those are extreme aspects of herself she tries negotiating with and sometimes lets out, but they were always the most unanchored videos she did and it's hard to tell if or what points she agrees with in them, or if that changes over time except when she infrequently mentions them in future videos. I mentioned it before but having videos where she bumbles through phases of her own changing identity raise a lot of questions in what her audience is supposed to take away from them when they're sitting alongside the more thoroughly researched refutations or debates about serious political and philosophical issues.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Buck Angel thing was the last straw for me personally.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

watho posted:

i don’t think a published freelance writer with almost 30k followers is a nobody. that’s way more clout than many people this thread likes to talk about

"a published freelance writer with almost 30k followers" is tbqh, to me, practically the definition of an online nobody. I didn't know who it was.

I assume the other people get talked about because they make videos. I don't know what the gently caress this thread's obsession with moviebob is about though, and I'm still not clear on who he is.

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.

Alaois posted:

that "apology" is absolutely nothing in fact it may be worse than nothing

Who are you to decide if someones apology to others is "enough", or is this twitter nobody's discourse about you? Or is it that you just like to see other people hurt

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

MovieBob is the worlds only radical liberal.

He pushes standard right wing talking points but in the opposite direction. He has a clear world view of desirable and undesirable people and and the undesirable who should be abandoned are rural voters. He speaks about them like right wingers talk about Muslims or illegal immigrants

That's why they call him Eugenics Bob.

Sibyl Disobedience
Mar 16, 2018

A Fire Keeper's soul is a draw for humanity, and held within their bosoms, below just a thin layer of skin, are swarms of humanity that writhe and squirm.

Nuns with Guns posted:

My reading of her "Argues with herself in a bunch of costumes" videos was always that that those are extreme aspects of herself she tries negotiating with and sometimes lets out

I think this is mostly true, with maybe a couple exceptions here or there.

quote:

but they were always the most unanchored videos she did and it's hard to tell if or what points she agrees with in them, or if that changes over time except when she infrequently mentions them in future videos. I mentioned it before but having videos where she bumbles through phases of her own changing identity raise a lot of questions in what her audience is supposed to take away from them when they're sitting alongside the more thoroughly researched refutations or debates about serious political and philosophical issues.

I might be weird, but the self debate videos are the only content of hers that I get anything out of. I legitimately think "The Aesthetic" is a good piece of art, and grappling with it helped me more than I like to admit. I get why people strongly dislike it, but I experienced a big perception shift when I realized the thing that had been nagging me for months is that Justine is miserable. I think the 'why' behind that was something I needed to work through on my own, and it wouldn't have landed the same way had someone tried to explain it directly.

It also helps to not care what her intentions were, because every indication suggests she's still struggling to come to terms with the message of "The Aesthetic" herself.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ButterSkeleton posted:

Who are you to decide if someones apology to others is "enough", or is this twitter nobody's discourse about you? Or is it that you just like to see other people hurt

the gently caress are you talking about

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Maybe it's because I've been with comics and animation people for nearly 2 decades and seen so much awfulness in the name of "Keeping professionalism", I can't help by heavily empathize with him.

Had originally a tweet series from him, but if you go to that karla pacheco thread you'll see that he talked it out with her and others.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 11, 2020

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
spacetwinks relentlessly speaks truth in/adjacent to an industry deeply allergic to honesty or accountability

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

spacetwinks relentlessly speaks truth in/adjacent to an industry deeply allergic to honesty or accountability

i'm sure that's the impression people would get from only reading colin spacetwinks threads, yeah

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Alaois posted:

i'm sure that's the impression people would get from only reading colin spacetwinks threads, yeah

In that case could you enlighten folks on what you mean by that

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

spacetwinks is a weirdo who sends the mcelroys vore for some reason and mostly seems to think that the reason the comics industry doesnt have strong unions is people arent trying hard enough, rather than deep structural issues

but at least they want there to be a union so there mostly just annoying

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

IronicDongz posted:

this is meaningless twitter drama and the person you're talking about already apologized about this, didn't really do anything very objectionable in the first place, and does not actually have clout. their normal twitter posts get double digit or sometimes triple digit likes/RTs, they're borderline a nobody.

"I just care too much about this, I'm sorry for the 50 reply twitter threads I regularly send artists/writers telling them they suck poo poo and gently caress you for not posting your support for your colleagues where I can see it before I make bad assumptions about you"

Forgive me, but I don't have much sympathy for a twitter superstar whose idea of activism is screeching at people on twitter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

that said yeah assuming people dont want a union just because they dont post publicly about it is kinda hosed

like the reason people get more mad publicly about teens calling something problematic than there not beign a union is the former doesnt risk their job or career

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

that said yeah assuming people dont want a union just because they dont post publicly about it is kinda hosed

like the reason people get more mad publicly about teens calling something problematic than there not beign a union is the former doesnt risk their job or career

don't you understand though, not wanting to risk your job or career make you a loving gutless coward snake spineless weasel who is only out for themselves!

what, no i don't work in any industry, why do you ask

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Endorph posted:

spacetwinks is a weirdo who sends the mcelroys vore for some reason

glad i’m not the only one who remembers that, like holy gently caress that was weird

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endorph posted:

I can just imagine trying to unionize under Disney or AT&T.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Endorph posted:

spacetwinks is a weirdo who sends the mcelroys vore for some reason and mostly seems to think that the reason the comics industry doesnt have strong unions is people arent trying hard enough, rather than deep structural issues

but at least they want there to be a union so there mostly just annoying

At some point, Griffin played up being into vore, and may or may not actually be into it. But it was one of their memes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I can just imagine trying to unionize under Disney or AT&T.
yeah. like with a massvie corp like that as your opponent you have to really pick your spots, and that includes what you say in public. if she really does get mad at comics people shes never met irl for not being sufficiently performative about it online, thats insanely lovely.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Sibyl Disobedience posted:

It also helps to not care what her intentions were, because every indication suggests she's still struggling to come to terms with the message of "The Aesthetic" herself.

I'm not in a position to call her out on her intentions here or anything, but it does kind of suck that social media is all about digging in and analyzing everything for the true motives of a person. I'd believe Contra is conflicted and working through some really messy feelings, but yeah she's been reckless when it comes to stopping those feelings from spilling out and hurting others from her respectably-sized platform.

Endorph posted:

spacetwinks is a weirdo who sends the mcelroys vore for some reason

Vore of like... each other?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

it was a game or interactive story where you got vored by griffin mcelroy iirc but i don’t know anything else except that it was the last straw for many people

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

All I know about Collin is that he produced an incredibly long essay about the sales figures of Ultimate Spider-Man that didn't hold up to further scrutiny. I don't know if he's a good or bad person, but definitely not someone I would go to for insight into the comic book industry.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also my take on the contapoints thing is still that she should have paid the twitter anime catgirl av people that she used the tweets of

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

watho posted:

it was a game or interactive story where you got vored by griffin mcelroy iirc but i don’t know anything else except that it was the last straw for many people

Oh that's even more high effort than I anticipated...

JordanKai posted:

All I know about Collin is that he produced an incredibly long essay about the sales figures of Ultimate Spider-Man that didn't hold up to further scrutiny. I don't know if he's a good or bad person, but definitely not someone I would go to for insight into the comic book industry.

He's also one of those "One Piece sells better than all US comics, owned US comics!" -types, too, if I remember right. You know, like ignoring the huge differences in publication standards, how comics are bought by American vs Japanese readers, and Japanese comics having their own kind of abusive and exploitative work culture.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The mcelroys definitely did have a long-running vore joke and it was probably one of their worst jokes. Griffin used to make videos sticking amiibos in his mouth, which was the whole joke.

I like the mcelroys, but they are pretty lame sometimes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

He's also one of those "One Piece sells better than all US comics, owned US comics!" -types, too, if I remember right. You know, like ignoring the huge differences in publication standards, how comics are bought by American vs Japanese readers, and Japanese comics having their own kind of abusive and exploitative work culture.
tbf its definitely worth noting from an industry perspective that even in the us alone manga outsells comics by a lot, even with how popular and iconic comic book *characters* are. like it definitely speaks to some kind of disconnect in terms of how the comics industry operates and what people actually want.

but its not proof of manga being better or anything, or the industry being better

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Endorph posted:

tbf its definitely worth noting from an industry perspective that even in the us alone manga outsells comics by a lot, even with how popular and iconic comic book *characters* are. like it definitely speaks to some kind of disconnect in terms of how the comics industry operates and what people actually want.

but its not proof of manga being better or anything, or the industry being better

the problem with the argument is that whenever people say that manga outsells american comic publishers, the numbers they cite are like, graphic novel sales from book stores and scholastic book fairs.

not direct market sales of comics

which is where like 90% of western comic sales are

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Endorph posted:

I'd have to go digging for it but I recall a very detailed post in BSS by Edge & Christian explaining how the comic industry does actually do better than manga does in America.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Endorph posted:

I do think there's a lot that can be learned from what untapped markets in the US are looking for, the viability of independent properties and self-contained stories vs ongoing story arcs with established characters, how lower quality paper stock and black and white pages aren't always as big of a barrier as expected to American readers, etc. But he was definitely just leaning into global sales figures as a mark of success and that always bothers be because of how reductive that is for comic publication and distribution around the world.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

And at the very top of the comics industry in America is YA comics, silently dominating a huge chunk of the market.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Srice posted:

And at the very top of the comics industry in America is YA comics, silently dominating a huge chunk of the market.

It's fun to bring those up to CG types who have to twist themselves in knots to explain why they don't count, comics are still dying, etc.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
I've been getting more interested in miniatures as of late thanks to that video posted earlier in this thread so I found some new channels that might interest some of you as well.

Goobertown hobbies is truly the Bob Ross of miniatures, if you're only gonna watch one of these channels make sure it's this, it's wonderful.

Miscast paints and molds miniature stuff, he's working on some demon army right now with in which he takes a lot of creative freedom.

Midwinter minis. This couple does terrain building and paints miniatures.

Scratch Bashing, a guy who uses junk to build terrain and vehicles, in his latest video he builds a forest monster out of sticks and stones, it's quite amazing.

Dark Matter Workshop creates terrain in a methodical fashion, like this channel quite a bit. :)

Eric's Hobby Workshop is also a terrain channel, his creation of medieval houses is some of his best work.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhdprPblBPE

I like this Daniel Greene fellow.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Srice posted:

Raina Telgemeier will bury us all under her ever growing mountain of sales

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Nuns with Guns posted:

Given he's also very, very vocal about said exploitative work culture in japanese comics and "work ethic" of grinding people to a bone, nope!

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I don't know who this person is

I did a lot of Contra defending (including here!) but Buck Angel was my personal last straw, combined with a general loss of interest in her work. Like, her subject matter narrowed and everything became very navel gazing and about nothing but trans. As I've often said I tend to lose interest when an online trans person talks about nothing but being trans. It's one-dimensional and dull as all bloody hell. Both on the Internet and in real life.

Like, hopefully one eventually reaches a stage where they don't have to pretend that Against Me! is worth listening to.

EDIT: Also the videos are now too loving long. Honestly this overt length thing just needs to be stopped generally, and that's coming from me. I now get recommended four and a half hour long essay videos on the subject of loving Nikocado Avocado. We've gone too far.

Kim Justice fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 12, 2020

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

Yeah I don't think the lack of accounting for sales data from the very closed market that is the cape comic diamond distribution matters much when talking about sales of domestic versus imported comics because the comics being sold outside that publisher run system absolutely crush them into dust. Kids are reading more comics than ever, they just arent reading marvel.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Also the videos are now too loving long. Honestly this overt length thing just needs to be stopped generally, and that's coming from me. I now get recommended four and a half hour long essay videos on the subject of loving Nikocado Avocado. We've gone too far.

I know exactly what you're talking about and it's probably one of the worst rantsonas I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Katt posted:

That's why they call him Eugenics Bob.
i think that one's more on him publicly opining that almost every day he wished that nazis hadn't tainted the "science" of eugenics.