Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I watched the Last of Us video it's great. It's about gameplay/storytelling like his other videos none of the chud poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I feel like it's almost fortunate for Naughty Dog that the most common and popular TLOU2 criticism is by far the dumbest one (woman arms too big)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Nakey Jakey's commitment to the Horse Sense joke is so good.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

rudecyrus posted:

I didn't recognize him.

Me: "Okay but why did hbomb post a photo of that guy who directed 'The People Vs. George Lucas' having a bad day?"

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
I just started watching Nakey Jakey and his stuff is real fun, but in one of the videos he mentions hanging around with Chris Ray Gun which threw an eyebrow up for sure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFeXJkcKYaU

Philosophy Tube video on Confucius and elites that break the rules.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

Doctor Spaceman posted:

This one feels like a refreshing return to form for PT. Even though I like Ollie's theatrics, I feel like sometimes they distract from the informative parts.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I just started watching Nakey Jakey and his stuff is real fun, but in one of the videos he mentions hanging around with Chris Ray Gun which threw an eyebrow up for sure

Ray Gun has been moving to the left from what I've seen. A lot of angry people in his replies because he's "changed".

Solar Tornado posted:

This one feels like a refreshing return to form for PT. Even though I like Ollie's theatrics, I feel like sometimes they distract from the informative parts.

I haven't watched too much of his stuff but I watched one about Shapiro? or abortion? both? and the skit bits took up way too much of the runtime.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought it was justified in the abortion one because he was acting out a famous thought experiment.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Sideways rants about people who hate Auto-Tune without understanding why singers and music producers use it. Also the tangent about Singin' in the Rain is mind-bending :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05hTQC1CZko

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Good to see him letting go of trying to be the British Contrapoints when it comes to dressing up and skits and such.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mycot posted:

I feel like it's almost fortunate for Naughty Dog that the most common and popular TLOU2 criticism is by far the dumbest one (woman arms too big)

there's a not that tinfoily side of me that thinks Naughty Dog spent SO much time focusing on the whole "WHY WOMAN HAVE MUSCLES?????" stuff just to keep the discourse in that sphere of things and not 'uh hey you abused your employees for a really kinda just 'yea it's good' product while cutting yourselves massive checks?' Like, it wouldn't be the first time a bit of media focused on its worst and dumbest critics to keep the 'conversation' in a more culture war-y realm.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in terms of online presence alone, neil druckmann is the elon musk of game developers

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sexpig by night posted:

there's a not that tinfoily side of me that thinks Naughty Dog spent SO much time focusing on the whole "WHY WOMAN HAVE MUSCLES?????" stuff just to keep the discourse in that sphere of things and not 'uh hey you abused your employees for a really kinda just 'yea it's good' product while cutting yourselves massive checks?' Like, it wouldn't be the first time a bit of media focused on its worst and dumbest critics to keep the 'conversation' in a more culture war-y realm.

It's what they did with Ghostbusters so it wouldn't surprise me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxDzR6U1Vc8

A friend recommended me this. It's good.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

This 3.5 hour video essay about Doom(?) is way, way better than it has any right to be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38zduHkwGcc

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

do you know who Tim Rodgers is

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/Jeff_like_Feff/status/1312469086664704001?s=20

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Alaois posted:

do you know who Tim Rodgers is

Genuinely not. Should I have heard of him?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mr.Radar posted:

Genuinely not. Should I have heard of him?

He's a gaming journalist and developer.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

More accurately he's known for being long-winded (and quite good at being long-winded)

And that's it. Jeez, you guys probably scared the poor fucker into thinking they just shared a vid from a Nazi puppy-kicker, lol.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Archer666 posted:

Good to see he accepted the bald.
It's weird going back to old RLM videos when Jack was refusing to accept the inevitable

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Kim Justice posted:

More accurately he's known for being long-winded (and quite good at being long-winded)

And that's it. Jeez, you guys probably scared the poor fucker into thinking they just shared a vid from a Nazi puppy-kicker, lol.

For the 5 seconds between reading that and Googling his name I was a bit scared :v:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I was just commenting on the "way way better than it has any right to be" because Tim Rodgers basically invented the longform video game essay style

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Doom video is exactly as good as I expected it to be (very).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tim Rodgers has had a very interesting life and he will tell you about it in detail.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Does it get better as it goes? I know it was linked before, and clicking on it showed I stopped watching about 6 and a half minutes in because I found it tedious.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If you don't like Tim Rogers' unique style of elocution that video's probably not for you.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Each segment of the video talks about a different subject, with the introduction being the weakest part of the video. Once I got through the first full segment (the one between roughly the 5 minute and 37 minute marks) I basically knew I had to watch the video until the end and I was not disappointed. That said, if you don't like it by the end of that segment you probably won't like the rest of the video either.

Edit: vvv I would say there's no single story in the video that's quite that compelling, but the entire video as a whole adds up to something close. vvv

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 3, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

muscles like this! posted:

Tim Rodgers has had a very interesting life and he will tell you about it in detail.

Is it as good as Noah Caldwell Gervais's story about him and his friend going to a bar in a one horse town in the dead of night, getting hammered and then barely avoiding a bar fight with a local before stumbling into the desert at 4 am?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Tim Rogers has perfect recall of his own childhood or something equally absurd. Hyperthymesia? Anyway half of everything he tells you is also a segue into his own memories, and either you think that's the poo poo, or its totally pretentious. Like his exhaustive multi-hour breakdown on Final Fantasy VII's translation and then he weaves in a narrative about moving to a new country and the loneliness you feel when you don't speak the language and how precious your human connections are and the eventual suicide of his best friend. And then I go 'what does this have to do with Final Fantasy VII' but I liked it anyway.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fE3yzmKqXg

Uncle Derek looks at a interesting piece of Playstation history, the PS1 Mouse.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sexpig by night posted:

As convenient as it is I 100% believe that people are just that dumb all on their own. The exact same thing happened with Nadine in Uncharted years ago (including on this forum? I remember some really weird posts about her), and how her design was part of brainwashing people into accepting transwomen. She looks like this.

mycot fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 3, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On that front, Naughty Dog doesn't seem capable of hiring BIPOC for their characters. I like Laura Bailey but they could have hired a black woman to mocap and voice Nadine.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Jimbot posted:

On that front, Naughty Dog doesn't seem capable of hiring BIPOC for their characters. I like Laura Bailey but they could have hired a black woman to mocap and voice Nadine.

they hired Laura Bailey without telling her the character was black and not a white South African lol

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

mycot posted:

As convenient as it is I 100% believe that people are just that dumb all on their own. The exact same thing happened with Nadine in Uncharted years ago (including on this forum? I remember some really weird posts about her), and how her design was part of brainwashing people into accepting transwomen. She looks like this.

oh I don't think they faked it, I just think poo poo like their terminally online head dev popping into nearly any thread by some rando chud to be all 'well gee some of us think women can do anything they put their minds to' and either going quiet or scolding journalists for doing their job when they talk about ND's abusive poo poo kinda come from the same place to link together 'I think Last of Us 2 kinda sucked' with 'well obviously they must be angry that the woman had biceps'.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

YggiDee posted:

Tim Rogers has perfect recall of his own childhood or something equally absurd. Hyperthymesia? Anyway half of everything he tells you is also a segue into his own memories, and either you think that's the poo poo, or its totally pretentious. Like his exhaustive multi-hour breakdown on Final Fantasy VII's translation and then he weaves in a narrative about moving to a new country and the loneliness you feel when you don't speak the language and how precious your human connections are and the eventual suicide of his best friend. And then I go 'what does this have to do with Final Fantasy VII' but I liked it anyway.

He has an elaborate backstory behind every single item he owns and it is really funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alaois posted:

they hired Laura Bailey without telling her the character was black and not a white South African lol

lol wait really? I figured she just took it without really looking up much beyond 'oh yea, Naughty Dog, I like working with them', did they straight up hide 'oh yea and she's a black lady'?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

lol wait really? I figured she just took it without really looking up much beyond 'oh yea, Naughty Dog, I like working with them', did they straight up hide 'oh yea and she's a black lady'?

Not sure if Naughty Dog was guilty of this (but they probably were and still are) but a lot of voice actors are not told what their roles actually are in video games and publishers force them to sign NDAs to prevent leaks to the media. Famously, Keythe Farley wasn't even told what game he was working on when he voiced Kellogg in Fallout 4 because Zenimax and Bethesda are paranoid as gently caress.

It's actually a pretty serious problem because all the legal NDAs and cloak and dagger stuff can prevent actors from giving their best performances. If you have no idea of context for your voice lines how the hell are you supposed to present who a character truly is?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I thought the character was white when they did the VA stuff and then they changed things later?