Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

HopperUK posted:

Just watched Kyle's P&T video.

Kyle if you're still reading the thread, are you okay? I mean I get a melancholy tone as an artistic choice but I hope you're doing okay, that's all.

most of the content he's put out the second half of last year has been downers, I think the last really upbeat one he made was The Watermelon Woman, and you can definitely tell there's been a heavy reevaluation on how and why he reviews movies since that video, possibly because of that video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Judge Tesla posted:

Being a 60 dollar game is also what sunk it, it was vastly overpriced for what it ultimately was.

yeah, it was originaly cheaper. but gearbox did there publisher program and then that happened.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

About the latest Hbomberguy video on Flat Earthers: towards the end he gets empathetic towards them and says there must be a reason why they believe things obviously wrong and that's all well and good but he doesn't actually show why Flat Earthers believe that garbage.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

DoubleCakes posted:

About the latest Hbomberguy video on Flat Earthers: towards the end he gets empathetic towards them and says there must be a reason why they believe things obviously wrong and that's all well and good but he doesn't actually show why Flat Earthers believe that garbage.

For the same reason anyone who feels like a powerless cog in the machinery of society believes in any conspiracy theory: it makes them feel special that they know something few other people do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

He just segues into building a case for them seeking refuge in a kind of anti-authoritarian science as an attempt to address a sense that something is wrong with the way the world is set up and then allows people to draw their own conclusions from that as if it's a theory he can't prove?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mr.Radar posted:

For the same reason anyone who feels like a powerless cog in the machinery of society believes in any conspiracy theory: it makes them feel special that they know something few other people do.

He makes the argument they are just questioning authority like it’s some weird bit of progressive thought that’s just misdirected. It’s really weird and kind of dumb.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DoubleCakes posted:

Isn't he basically saying they are pretty much the same as the people that join up with IS or become internet Atheists / Nazis? People who have hosed up their lives and need something to blame it on or that at the least explains it or even just something to make them less lonely. Basically the same mechanism that the alt-right exploits to recruit lonely nerds. It's just that Flat Earthism as an idea isn't as inherently hateful as the others, though as shown a lot of the same behavior shows up since they keep trying to blame others than themselves.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Conspiracy theorists are much more likely to be the kind of people who regard truth as up for revision and meant to serve their own whims. They’re much friendlier to authority and power than they are likely to challenge it. It’s basically only a matter of time from when a conspiracy is alleged until they start blaming Jews.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Flat Earther motives can't be really analyzed well because they're a half-formed conspiracy. You saw it in the video. The world is flat. The powerful and wealthy know this. They lied to us to the extend of making a fake moon landing just to make us think the world is round.

Why?

....globalists?????

They don't have an ideology, that's why you see the nazis and poo poo glombing on without problem, most of the actual believers are still looking for the 'why'.

Why does this globe conspiracy exist?

The jews did it.

Oh, that was hosed up of them.

Why does this globe conspiracy exist?

The feminists and communists did it.

Man gently caress those guys.

There's no answer to the why because they don't have an actual conspiracy theory they have a conspiracy...idea? I guess? It's like if I said there's no such thing as trees. All trees are just fake and made of poo poo like paper and plaster. Trees don't exist. Why do people want us to think trees are real? I dunno man they just do. That's not a conspiracy theory, that's just a weird idea.

People cling to weird ideas all the time, like HBomb said they see society is objectively failing them and their leaders ARE lying to them about a TON of poo poo so they see some dingus saying 'this plane trip proves there's no globe' and go 'yea that's some poo poo they'd lie to us about'. They don't have a why, they just are mad at being lied to constantly.

Then you have the backfire effect. People tend to actually retreat further into beliefs if you just tell them 'what, no, you're wrong' and 'the world is flat' is something most of us find so stupid and nonsensical that that's exactly how we react to hearing it. So they watch this video saying the world is flat, going 'yea fair idea these government assholes are always tricking us', they share their cool new idea and someone says 'are you loving stupid Jeff the world is clearly flat', so now they KNOW it's true because why else would Bob be such a prick about it unless he was brainwashed?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Conspiracy theorists are much more likely to be the kind of people who regard truth as up for revision and meant to serve their own whims. They’re much friendlier to authority and power than they are likely to challenge it. It’s basically only a matter of time from when a conspiracy is alleged until they start blaming Jews.

They are against power figures but only the power figures they think exist rather than authority in general.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

I remember a book about neurology (forgotten the title, it was ages ago) claiming that under brain scans you can see certain parts of the brain light up when people engage in the act of "believing" in something. Regardless of weird pseudo-science, ideology or religion, it seems that always the same parts of the brain engage.

I think what happens with people like Flat Earthers is that their brains randomly got caught on some random piece of information and now they're trapped, since their brains force them to "believe" in this obviously fake thing. One possible solution to save them could be to surgically burn out the "believe"-centers of their brains with a laser or something.

Of course, the drawback of this operation would be a high chance of the poor bastards suddenly being unable to believe in anything ever again. Drugs and therapy are probably the better way to go, though negative reinforcement is still reinforcements, so a therapist would need to act really careful to undermine the fake believe, instead of strengthening it.

As we're not professional therapists, the only thing we can do is react to people like Flath Earthers with contempt, disdain and constant mockery. Being empathetic feels nice, but will just make their delusions stronger and hurt those people more over time.

Most conspiracy theorists are probably unable to consciously change their believes like that, see above. The few who can actually revise their own believes according to their whims should probably be classified as sociopaths and direct threat to the society they are a part of.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
If the earth is so flat how come there are mountains? :smuggo:

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Shamelessly pasting my Youtube comment on Rowling from Lindsay Ellis's Death of the Author piece:

Harry Potter got bad after book 3, but the brand as a whole lost me when JK Rowling proclaimed a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen in an attempt to retroactively raise the story's social-standing. "Of course this narrative with mostly white-characters is actually really diverse, and ACTUALLY the stock Obi-Wan character was really deep and gay this whole time."

Books are at their base element just plain-text, and unlike a video-game or a movie, they do not got updated like software. Since a book can't update itself I can't truly fault it for not aligning with my (increasingly PC) worldview. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be a book that was released in 1960, but it's made timeless because its message against bigotry will always resonate.

I can forgive a retcon that happens WITHIN the story if it leads to a more interesting narrative i.e. Luke's father and Darth Vader were originally separate characters. But having a retcon that happens OUTSIDE the story that only springs from the author's mouth simply reeks of them trying to cover their rear end or appear relevant. If an author has opinions of their book that aren't present in the book then the author should write another book. Rowling's problem is that she can't seem to move on.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I feel so bad about not posting about this dude before, but the impromptu 8 HOUR PODCAST ABOUT BAFFLING WRESTLING poo poo WITH TIETUESDAY (where the story of WWE going to North Korea is the least riveting one done, which should give you the idea of the level of stories behind told there) made he actually check out DocDestructo, who is known for a bunch of lost fun threads on twitter and for doing some neat video editing for TieTuesday and a fun wrestle podcast. He started this year a video series called G A M E W R E C K S, currently with two episodes, one on Tatoo Assassins and Tender Loving Care.

Kunster fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jan 1, 2019

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shamelessly pasting my Youtube comment on Rowling from Lindsay Ellis's Death of the Author piece:

Harry Potter got bad after book 3, but the brand as a whole lost me when JK Rowling proclaimed a bunch of poo poo that didn't happen in an attempt to retroactively raise the story's social-standing. "Of course this narrative with mostly white-characters is actually really diverse, and ACTUALLY the stock Obi-Wan character was really deep and gay this whole time."

Books are at their base element just plain-text, and unlike a video-game or a movie, they do not got updated like software. Since a book can't update itself I can't truly fault it for not aligning with my (increasingly PC) worldview. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be a book that was released in 1960, but it's made timeless because its message against bigotry will always resonate.

I can forgive a retcon that happens WITHIN the story if it leads to a more interesting narrative i.e. Luke's father and Darth Vader were originally separate characters. But having a retcon that happens OUTSIDE the story that only springs from the author's mouth simply reeks of them trying to cover their rear end or appear relevant. If an author has opinions of their book that aren't present in the book then the author should write another book. Rowling's problem is that she can't seem to move on.

i don't know about that "books don't get updated"

Diane Duane recently re-released her Young Wizards books in a 'millennial' update to make the timeline of events consistent across the series instead of just 'set whenever the book was written' I haven't read the updated version because.... money, but they seemed to be pretty well received by the fanbase
so it's not common, but i think it's possible.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you can update books, stephen king released an (inferior) revised version of the gunslinger so it was consistent with the later books.

obviously rowling didn't do that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

im gonna write a book and release it with a season pass

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Dumbledore being gay is a perfect example of a Darth Vader style retcon because it made a whole major subplot more interesting

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Dumbledore being gay isn't a retcon at all, it's pretty clear with hindsight and there's strong evidence of it being the original intent, but it's also a poo poo excuse for representation, and Rowling's later desperate retconning is awful and has poisoned the well hard.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Here is a snake. It is also an Asian woman and I always had that planned.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sanguinia posted:

Dumbledore being gay is a perfect example of a Darth Vader style retcon because it made a whole major subplot more interesting

yeah, i am not a fan of rowlings weird retcons but that one at least gave some context to dumbledoors actions at felt more like a clarification. my issue is more how little griddlewald was mentioned in the original books. he basicaly brought up in the last two books as basicaly some charlie manson dark wizard and now the movies tried to turn him into hitler who vapes with a skull and does nothing interesting.

Leal posted:

yeah that was terrible. worst part is she doesn't even do anything. then again she didnt get it as bad as la strange or whatever her name was. because holy poo poo i legit laughed at that tactless poo poo in the theater.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Leal posted:

I still like Jenny Nicholson imagining Rowling at the diner jotting down two things on a napkin - 'boy wizard' and 'Asian woman is a snake.'

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
My favourite example of writers playing with the idea of authorial intent is Borges' story Menard, Author of the Quixote, where an author wants to recreate Don Quixote word-for-word. The text would be identical but it would be a much greater piece of art because writing the work today involves a much richer range of allusion and meaning.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you can update books, stephen king released an (inferior) revised version of the gunslinger so it was consistent with the later books.

Tolkien did it with The Hobbit too.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Tolkien did it with The Hobbit too.

Dickens was famous for changing his stories based on feedback, often specifically for purposes of representation or social justice. Although I don't know if he actually revised old work or just made fixes through future chapters.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Gonna write a story and not describe any of the characters, so i can score points by claiming they were actually whatever scores me the most points.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Archer666 posted:

Gonna write a story and not describe any of the characters, so i can score points by claiming they were actually whatever scores me the most points.

Gonna go back and show my teacher's whats up. I wasn't being lazy, I was thinking the long con!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Archer666 posted:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Archer666 posted:

Same, but I'm gonna describe them in extremely unsettling ways that don't line up with human behaviors as I make no mention of their race in any way.

'Roxanne scuttled down the wall, collecting her keys with her long scythe-like mandibles before scrabbling out the door and, after taking a moment to shed her exoskeleton, made her way to the train station.'

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RareAcumen posted:

Same, but I'm gonna describe them in extremely unsettling ways that don't line up with human behaviors as I make no mention of their race in any way.

'Roxanne scuttled down the wall, collecting her keys with her long scythe-like mandibles before scrabbling out the door and, after taking a moment to shed her exoskeleton, made her way to the train station.'

Avshalom would approve.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Archer666 posted:

The most baffling thing is rowling thought it was a good idea after 20 years of movies, video games, merchandise, and other media that consistently depicted hermionie as white to go ahead and say that she was never white in the first place.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Pharohman777 posted:

The most baffling thing is rowling thought it was a good idea after 20 years of movies, video games, merchandise, and other media that consistently depicted hermionie as white to go ahead and say that she was never white in the first place.

Did she ever say Hermione wasn't white? The only thing I've ever seen is her tweet saying basically "The main things about Hermione are not tied to race, so I'm AOK with Black Hermione, suck it racists." It was always my impression that the idea of "ACTUALLY Hermione was Black all along, diversity is solved forever!" was people reading wayyyy too much into that.

Like Rowling's done some absolutely boneheaded retcons, but I think Dumbledore being gay and saying Hermione didn't have to be white were absolutely overblown in the Discourse. Neither makes Harry Potter the text more diverse in a way that matters, but the former was basically saying something that was blaringly obvious to a lot of readers, and the latter is just saying, "Casting Hermione as black is fine."

I mean, why would you even point to those tepid things as examples of her terrible retcons when the Nagini poo poo is right loving there as the worst thing, anyway?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Puppy Time posted:

Did she ever say Hermione wasn't white? The only thing I've ever seen is her tweet saying basically "The main things about Hermione are not tied to race, so I'm AOK with Black Hermione, suck it racists." It was always my impression that the idea of "ACTUALLY Hermione was Black all along, diversity is solved forever!" was people reading wayyyy too much into that.

Like Rowling's done some absolutely boneheaded retcons, but I think Dumbledore being gay and saying Hermione didn't have to be white were absolutely overblown in the Discourse. Neither makes Harry Potter the text more diverse in a way that matters, but the former was basically saying something that was blaringly obvious to a lot of readers, and the latter is just saying, "Casting Hermione as black is fine."

I mean, why would you even point to those tepid things as examples of her terrible retcons when the Nagini poo poo is right loving there as the worst thing, anyway?

I think she did a little twitter smirk with something like “I never actually said she was white; you all just assumed,” in the posture of a true puppetmaster.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Rowling said there was no reason Hermione couldn't be black in the play (which is fine) because she'd never written her as white (which I think is a stretch).

Puppy Time posted:

By the time Nagini had rolled around people had far lower expectations due to the previous retcons and the general shittiness of the Fantastic Beasts films.

Also Hermione and Dumbledore are far more well-known by the wider public.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 2, 2019

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I think she did a little twitter smirk with something like “I never actually said she was white; you all just assumed,” in the posture of a true puppetmaster.

I mean given the context of "Racists super mad that they cast a woman with melanin to play Hermione," I'm pretty willing to let her smirk some. Being smugly inept with diversity is totally acceptable if it's in the service of making fun of racists.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

I mean given the context of "Racists super mad that they cast a woman with melanin to play Hermione," I'm pretty willing to let her smirk some. Being smugly inept with diversity is totally acceptable if it's in the service of making fun of racists.

It would be nice if any of this diversity cheerleading managed to appear anywhere beyond her twitter feed between accidentally retweeting TERFs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

It would be nice if any of this diversity cheerleading managed to appear anywhere beyond her twitter feed between accidentally retweeting TERFs.

Rowling is basically peak liberal. Vaguely supporting rights and such unless it’s risky and effects her than nah.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

CharlestheHammer posted:

Rowling is basically peak liberal. Vaguely supporting rights and such unless it’s risky and effects her than nah.

JK Rowling is not peak liberal, she's peak moderate liberal. Frankie Boyle hit the nail on the head when he criticised her, basically stating that the status quo must look good from her view, sitting atop her massive pile of "children's pocket money" like a dragon in a Tolkien novel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yszh_KxeUWU

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Rowling said there was no reason Hermione couldn't be black in the play (which is fine) because she'd never written her as white (which I think is a stretch).

Specifically, it's a stretch because you can pull out quotes from the actual books she wrote where Hermione's skin is described as pale.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
She wants credit for the retcon without actually going into the effort of writing or changin anything. Like Lindsay said, she had a lot of creative control (maybe even too much) on the Fantastic Beasts movies, the second one had descriptions of Dumbledore's relationship with Grindelwald, so Dumbledore's ostensible homosexuality could have actually been written into a new work, but she didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

21 Muns posted:

Specifically, it's a stretch because you can pull out quotes from the actual books she wrote where Hermione's skin is described as pale.

JK Rowling posted:

I had a bunch of racists telling me that because Hermione ‘turned white’ – that is, lost colour from her face after a shock – that she must be a white woman, which I have a great deal of difficulty with. But I decided not to get too agitated about it and simply state quite firmly that Hermione can be a black woman with my absolute blessing and enthusiasm.