Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skippy McPants posted:

Trying to follow the stuff with Vic and Hazukari but I'm not very big into anime and I find it interesting that most everything appears to be happening in twitter threads. Aren't there industry outlets (e.g. like Polygon or Kotaku are for games) that would run a story about these allegations?

I guess I find it weird that in 2018 the Con scene is still so underreported, undermanaged, and underregulated.

Industry might report on Vic if credible, concrete evidence comes to light, but Hazu was just a dude who was anitwitter popular and managed to push his way into some industry parties and circles. He has a small fan base, but he has no actual clout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Skippy McPants posted:

Aren't there industry outlets (e.g. like Polygon or Kotaku are for games) that would run a story about these allegations?

Anime is very much like gaming in that the vast majority of big journalism outlets have essentially been turned into industry press release distributors at this point, and very little actual journalism happens in the mainstream. The Pedantic Romantic did a really good video on this, but basically since industry sources will immediately cut you off the moment you piss them off nobody wants to risk upsetting them by running an exposè on some big name creep.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If I recall, the green M&Ms thing originated with The Who, and the incident everyone remembers of them flipping out over M&Ms also ended with the stage loving collapsing during load-in because the promoter didn't read the loving safety rider either. As someone who actually works in that industry, its a 100% justified level of paranoia because we are all on drugs, all the time, and cannot be trusted.

The story goes that they put the green M&Ms thing in because it was an easy way to tell if a venue didn’t read the contract very well. It’s actually really clever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Takoluka posted:

Industry might report on Vic if credible, concrete evidence comes to light, but Hazu was just a dude who was anitwitter popular and managed to push his way into some industry parties and circles. He has a small fan base, but he has no actual clout.

Note this is not how journalism is supposed to work. You aren’t supposed to wait for evidence to fall into your lap. You should like do stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember folks being upset when he was cast at Matt in Digimon Tri, doubly so when Michael Reiz (the original VA for the character) came out and said he wasn’t even called to see if he wanted to come back for it (he did) like pretty much everyone in the old cast was.

If he's union now this is literally the official cover story they use when they can't return due to union rules.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

My mom worked at an arena and was in charge of mostly feeding the backstage but also some A/V stuff. She was super dutiful about reading riders. She said Fountains of Wayne had the funniest "Green M&M" one where they asked for a pet kitten in all of the bands' guest rooms. They had a laugh with her when she put some toy stuffed kittens in the room. Not related to the Green M&Ms thing, but Foo Fighters had a super long list of cereals they'd ask for and when my mom got all of the cereals, Dave came by and talked to her and gave her a big hug. She has been the #1 Foo Fighters fan since then.

She said the nicest people were FF and System of a Down, the worst were (unsurprisingly) Creed and Limp Bizkit.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mokinokaro posted:

If he's union now this is literally the official cover story they use when they can't return due to union rules.

Yeah I think he’s a PGA member now because he was a producer on that Shadowhunters TV show. Don’t know if that has any bearing on SAG or it’s voice actor equivalent though, but yeah that makes sense.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

donoteat01 has a new video about Elon Musk's awful Loop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Anything else happen this weekend?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Note this is not how journalism is supposed to work. You aren’t supposed to wait for evidence to fall into your lap. You should like do stuff.

Oh yeah, definitely, but Vic's pretty much untouchable because of this:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Anime is very much like gaming in that the vast majority of big journalism outlets have essentially been turned into industry press release distributors at this point, and very little actual journalism happens in the mainstream. The Pedantic Romantic did a really good video on this, but basically since industry sources will immediately cut you off the moment you piss them off nobody wants to risk upsetting them by running an exposè on some big name creep.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FoldableHuman posted:

donoteat01 has a new video about Elon Musk's awful Loop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dn6ZVpJLxs

Oh, huge snow storm from the Midwest to the Southeast, Super Blood Wolf Tu Bishvat Moon, nothing in the hundreds of thousands of dollars or anything.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

FoldableHuman posted:

Jenny did a uhm Book, Olly's 300k stream, John Romero made TERF's his Bitch, that's about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:bisonyes:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeah

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EfvHUs_EgY

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That boy needs funky Kong asmr

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If he's hot enough they'll just forget it, like with Jason Momoa.

Wait, hold on. What has Jason Momoa done?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s Namor the sea man

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

MiddleOne posted:

Wait, hold on. What has Jason Momoa done?

he said a really dumb rape joke about six years ago. he apologized for it, and afaik, hasn't made any similar crass jokes (in pubilc, at least) since then.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Equeen posted:

he said a really dumb rape joke about six years ago. he apologized for it, and afaik, hasn't made any similar crass jokes (in pubilc, at least) since then.

He also harassed his costar and destroyed her property.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Was it actors loving around or was it serious

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

stillvisions posted:

Also feel like that may have been a bit of atonement from Swery for the ending of Deadly Premonition, which is the literal "guy in a dress" serial killer trope.

Ehhh, just on this point I disagree a bit any time it comes up in Deadly Premonition talk, because really the game very much portrays Thomas as a victim too, getting a really sympathetic ending unlike the other antagonists, even being included in the lineup of Goddesses of the Forest, which was a very thoughtful inclusion that would've been very easy to not have. That's always convinced me that Swery's been a good guy all along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Was it actors loving around or was it serious

It sounds like the former from all accounts. Yeah, it’s a dickbag thing to do on its head, but rather innocuous in the grand scheme of Hollywood Monsters who’ve been outed lately.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

It sounds like the former from all accounts. Yeah, it’s a dickbag thing to do on its head, but rather innocuous in the grand scheme of Hollywood Monsters who’ve been outed lately.

Sounds more like he's just an old fashioned Hollywood jerk.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.
I love this moment from the DK stream so much

https://twitter.com/Worthikids/status/1086846904510476288

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Sounds more like he's just an old fashioned Hollywood jerk.

Also keep in mind, Johnny Depp beat the poo poo out of Amber Heard for years while they were married and she torpedo’d his career by going public with his abuse. She’s not exactly afraid to call out men acting lovely in her life, even if it’s just dumb poo poo like ripping pages out of books.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Johnny Depp still gets casted in everything though? I know that his star appeal is de-facto dead in the eyes of audiences but studios still keep putting him front and center regardless.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s out of his one main series though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

He’s out of his one main series though.

Is Pirates finally ending? :stare:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope but he’s not in it

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MiddleOne posted:

Is Pirates finally ending? :stare:

They’re rebooting it without him. ^^^

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

So Hbomberguy's stream was 57 hours.
So MauLer's response is going to be how long?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

DoubleCakes posted:

Three minutes of coverage for every thirty seconds of footage.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
where's shaun

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

FoldableHuman posted:

elon musk is one of my least favorite human beings on the planet

most of the other students in my major (environmental science) see him as the savior of the human race and it drives me up a loving wall

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

FoldableHuman posted:

I watched this with some friends and we lost our loving minds at the "loving magic" cut to burning teslas. Also: LOW TOLERANCES

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

most of the other students in my major (environmental science) see him as the savior of the human race and it drives me up a loving wall

I bet people in the Alien universe thought Weyland was the savior of the human race too.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Eh just some stuff from my tankie friend who is retweeting and commenting with other tankies how while Hbomber is doing good work, it's not internationalism and also Hbomber used to say reactionary things about dealing with North Korea and how Venezuela isn't that great (but not in the lovely ways CHUDs go on why Venezuela is bad)
https://twitter.com/CYBERSTALIN/status/1087350616500912128?s=19

Tankie's sure like to be a damper at anything good and the worst of all they love being "I told you so" jagoffs

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Co-workers are like that too, they handwave all his bullshit with "BUT SPACE-X", helps they hate unions and love STEM

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

One minute into the video and I, a total amateur in the field of engineering, was asking; “How can it be so fast if it relies on cars being put on an elevator one at a time? Aren’t elevators of that size really, really slow?”

For a while I wondered whether this was a mistake on my part but no, Musk really had missed that incredibly obvious point along with all the other reasons his design wouldn’t work. The guy must be nuts.

Edit: seriously it's like one of those crazy schemes Retsupurae made fun of years ago.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jan 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DoubleCakes posted:

Do you think Jordan Owen and Davis Aurini can kiss and make up to do The Hbomberguy Effect? Maybe for, say, $20000 a month on Patreon!