Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The demo reel was embarrassing as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's more sadness over how the mighty have fallen. the dc films minus wonder woman are trash fires

The problem is that you don't seem to be interested in criticism, but vindication of dislike and online consensus. The realities of DCU movies or Patrick Rothfuss's novels are mostly irrelevant to you because it's already a given that they're sort of anti-media that can only be dealt with by extreme mockery. Hyperbole like "trash fires" is really exemplary of this.

This leads to bizarre ideas like this:

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's hilarious seeing someone able to expound upon how bad in the name of the wind is but utterly incapable of processing what failures those movies are on an even basic cinematic level.

You're apparently only able to imagine that I praise the wrong movies (Man of Steel, Batman v Superman) because I'm somehow "incapable of processing" of how bad they are, rather than having any critical positions. This leads to extreme vagueness of how the movies are failures on a "basic cinematic level". I doubt that you're actually going to be able to explain how they're failures except by insisting that it's obvious, repeating some meme- like banality ("Pa Kent is the worst"), or perhaps linking to a video.

I've had other people be terrible disappointed when they liked my criticism of Rothfuss but then disagreed over loving Star Wars or something, and it really sums it up.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Apr 21, 2018

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tired Moritz posted:

also heavenly creatures is the best peter jackson movie
you should watch the frighteners

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Man of Steel relies heavily on trite imagery and flashy cgi visuals.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zack Snyder had such a weird trajectory. Watchmen might not be great or anything, but in the commentary and interviews he seems to understand irony and at least tried it in appropriate moments. I don’t know what bullshit he’s been on since.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Lindsay spends a lot of time talking about liking trash so I don't know why people are talking about her as if she acts like she is above it all. I like the RLM guys but they mock audiences who like blockbusters all the drat time and very much seem like they think that they are above it all. I will also never trust Jay again after he tricked me into watching a movie about a woman who sucked a dogs dick once.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Man of Steel relies heavily on trite imagery and flashy cgi visuals.

sorry this is meme-like banality.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Apr 21, 2018

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sarcopenia posted:

Lindsay spends a lot of time talking about liking trash so I don't know why people are talking about her as if she acts like she is above it all. I like the RLM guys but they mock audiences who like blockbusters all the drat time and very much seem like they think that they are above it all. I will also never trust Jay again after he tricked me into watching a movie about a woman who sucked a dogs dick once.

Wait, what?

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

Tired Moritz posted:

also heavenly creatures is the best peter jackson movie

That movie scared the crap out of me as a kid. Is scared the right word? Maybe disturbed. Either way I had nightmares for months when normally movies never had that effect on me (documentaries aside).

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0492492/
I think the wordshe used to describe it was "heart warming and endearing".

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Ghostlight posted:

you should watch the frighteners

That's a funny way to spell Braindead

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

sorry this is meme-like banality.

Well, it is. corn in the bible is saying the movie is bad for having imagery ("trite" refers to it being Christian) and CGI visuals.

business hammocks posted:

Zack Snyder had such a weird trajectory. Watchmen might not be great or anything, but in the commentary and interviews he seems to understand irony and at least tried it in appropriate moments. I don’t know what bullshit he’s been on since.

What changed was youuuuuu.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

a lot of the poo poo is obvious. you shouldn't get upset that it wasn't obvious to you.

when i was watching suicide squad i realized the editing was terrible. i wasn't going to break it down point by point because it was so obvious to anyone watching it who understands the basics of editing. luckily dan did a video on it so i can link that instead of making a long post about it even though for whatever reason that isn't allowed.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Groovelord Neato posted:

a lot of the poo poo is obvious. you shouldn't get upset that it wasn't obvious to you.

Again, you're insisting that it's obvious without any elaboration. If the three movies all fail on a basic cinematic level, it should be extremely easy to point out how. Movies relying on visuals is not a failure, because movies are a visual medium. Why is Pa Kent just the worst and why does that make the movies bad?

I don't dispute Suicide Squad's is weirdly edited, but even there you're being extremely vague and appeal to authority. It's also one movie out of three.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Apr 21, 2018

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Sarcopenia posted:

RLM are at their best when they’re being completely earnest about trash. Mike is a genuinely charming person when he can leave his weary irony behind and just enjoy something. Maybe it’s because they make trash films and feel like they have to justify it with endless self-awareness? It’s when they’re mean to trash that I can’t enjoy them. Even piling on hollywood garbage just seems like an unhealthy waste of time.

Lindsay gets accused of being condescending because she is a woman. There’s something that just short-circuits in some people when a woman is direct without being self-effacing. It might even come down to just demeanor and delivery. But in a world with Cinema Sins, come the gently caress on about calling an hour-plus piece of practical investigative journalism about The Hobbit franchise condescending—especially when there’s footage of them gratuitously cavorting around the sets dressed like Bilbo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Well, it is. corn in the bible is saying the movie is bad for having imagery ("trite" refers to it being Christian) and CGI visuals.

It is pretty trite to compare Superman to Jesus. For one thing, Jesus was big on preaching goodwill towards men and encouraging people to forgive others. Superman just punches dudes and saves people falling from buildings and somehow that's equivalent?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Nothing is ever "obvious" to people. It's "obvious" you shouldn't walk into traffic at a crosswalk unless the light says you can, but people can still need to be taught that rule before they understand it. Same is true of understanding editing or how dialogue works, and those are considerably more nuanced and actually require a good deal of thought to unpack and understand.

I, Butthole posted:

That's a funny way to spell Braindead

I still hold Meet the Feebles up as the Peter Jackson movie you need to see at some point, not because it's good but because you most likely haven't seen anything else like it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Nothing is ever "obvious" to people. It's "obvious" you shouldn't walk into traffic at a crosswalk unless the light says you can, but people can still need to be taught that rule before they understand it. Same is true of understanding editing or how dialogue works, and those are considerably more nuanced and actually require a good deal of thought to unpack and understand.

meant to people that spend their time postin bout movie films.

I don't dispute Suicide Squad's is weirdly edited, but even there you're being extremely vague and appeal to authority.

lol hopeless.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It is pretty trite to compare Superman to Jesus. For one thing, Jesus was big on preaching goodwill towards men and encouraging people to forgive others. Superman just punches dudes and saves people falling from buildings and somehow that's equivalent?

You're not arguing that the comparison is trite, but that it's inaccurate compared to the general image of the character of Superman. We're discussing specific movies about a man willing to sacrifice himself for the salvation of others.

Again, you're just insisting on the obviousness. Why exactly is Pa Kent for example so "obviously" bad that he's the worst part of a "trash fire"?

Zack Snyder's two Superman movies (there's only two) have been the only superhero movies of lasting value for elevating digital fantasy. Their vibrant, extravagant visuals, mixing of realism and fantasy, and genuine idealism have rendered superhero movies before and after obsolete. And because it doesn't offer drab cynicism and false personability familiar from Marvel movies or Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, people hate it. Man of Steel made CGI destruction so weighty that collateral damage has basically become intolerable. Fans have ever since desperately wanted to go back to disposable, hokey paternalistic fantasies, and they've generally gotten their wish, for example in how Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 remade Man of Steel as something completely banal.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 21, 2018

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I'm convinced that BotL is just a bunch of Markov chains stringing barely cogent arguments together. He's already passed the Turing Test so there's little need for him to continue posting these screeds.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lindsay... welcome to the party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8EMx7Y16Vo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Zack Snyder's two Superman movies (there's only two) have been the only superhero movies of lasting value for elevating digital fantasy. Their vibrant, extravagant visuals, mixing of realism and fantasy, and genuine idealism have rendered superhero movies before and after obsolete.

this is a good bit.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Could you provide other examples of "digital fantasy"? Does Tron count? What about Tron Legacy?

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

I Before E posted:

Could you provide other examples of "digital fantasy"? Does Tron count? What about Tron Legacy?

Yes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Checks out.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Well I woke up and saw 200 new posts, I'm "glad" it's just the usual arguing and not some terrible stuff being unveiled.

Roth posted:

It's so weird that she started out doing an abridged series style parody of MLP.
You mean her oddly captivating reboot pitch and the pony washing video's or something else?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Zedd posted:

Well I woke up and saw 200 new posts, I'm "glad" it's just the usual arguing and not some terrible stuff being unveiled.

You mean her oddly captivating reboot pitch and the pony washing video's or something else?

I'm pretty sure her big claim to fame is a series called Friendship is Witchcraft which is basically a bunch of non-jokes. If the concept doesn't turn you off, then it's worth checking out if you like her sense of humor a lot

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

Arcsquad12 posted:

Phelous please come post in the thread again I like you.

This is clearly a lie, nobody likes me.

:v:

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

You're not arguing that the comparison is trite, but that it's inaccurate compared to the general image of the character of Superman. We're discussing specific movies about a man willing to sacrifice himself for the salvation of others.

Inaccurate AND trite, it can be both at once!

Zack Snyder's two Superman movies (there's only two) have been the only superhero movies of lasting value for elevating digital fantasy

... what?

quote:

Their vibrant, extravagant visuals

are washed out and boring

quote:

mixing of realism and fantasy

Is done in every superhero movie based on earth

quote:

and genuine idealism

mostly nihilism

quote:

have rendered superhero movies before and after obsolete.

so the genre is dead and Man of Steel killed it, gotcha

quote:

And because it doesn't offer drab cynicism and false personability familiar from Marvel movies or Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy, people hate it.

I thought they hated them cause they were boring and bloated but apparently it's cause they're just too different and not actually cookie cutter Syndar films

quote:

Man of Steel made CGI destruction so weighty that collateral damage has basically become intolerable.

the mass destruction in the movies are pretty weightless, both visually with characters bouncing around like tennis balls, and narratively with hundreds of thousands of deaths meaning nothing while the actual act of killing the antagonist is a grief-filled tragedy because you can only get your hands dirty when directly snapping somebody's neck, knocking a building over doesn't count

quote:

Fans have ever since desperately wanted to go back to disposable, hokey paternalistic fantasies, and they've generally gotten their wish, for example in how Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 remade Man of Steel as something completely banal.

.... what?

I am very tired right now

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

What, don't you remember the scene where Starlord snapped a man's neck for the greater good, but was also sad about it?

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

This is clearly a lie, nobody likes me.

:v:

Of course, you're an outhouse not Phelous.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I still hold Meet the Feebles up as the Peter Jackson movie you need to see at some point, not because it's good but because you most likely haven't seen anything else like it.
Meet the Feebles is definitely his most important work, but it makes you wait too long for the fox's song to be his best.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I suppose I can kinda see the parallels between MOS and GOTG2, if you view Yondu as Pa Kent and Ego as Jor-El. Actually, for all its self-indulgent flab, I do think you can see it as maybe offering a more thematically coherent take on the same plot.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

This is because you’re relying on contradictory shotgun argumentation instead of a coherent response. This leads to a lot of unsupportable bullet points like that every superhero movie mixes realism with fantasy, or that Man of Steel is nihilistic.

Like this just doesn’t make sense:

SatansBestBuddy posted:

the mass destruction in the movies are pretty weightless, both visually with characters bouncing around like tennis balls, and narratively with hundreds of thousands of deaths meaning nothing while the actual act of killing the antagonist is a grief-filled tragedy because you can only get your hands dirty when directly snapping somebody's neck, knocking a building over doesn't count

In this run-on sentence you’re claiming very specifically that characters in Man of Steel move like tennis balls (this is a very particular image you’re using), claiming that the violence in the movie is without impact while simultaneously bemoaning how horrific it is, and you claim that only one act of violence in the movie matters “narratively,” even though the movie is preoccupied with apocalyptic imagery. Your reading of the movie is tripping up because you don’t really have an appreciation for its formal qualities.

Snyder is an exemplarily kinetic director, and he’s greatly innovated action in the field of digital cinematic fantasies. There’s no better refutation of the movie’s supposed nihilism than the joyous, explosive motion of flight, which has not been equaled in superhero movies. The movie’s imagery emphasizes texture, movement, impact, it’s harshly washed out but minutely realized colours giving it a bleak allure. Snyder has that ability of great artists of keeping the audience away with one hand while beckoning them with the other, appealing to a sense of consciousness instead of immersion.

This is why its dilemmas weighs so heavily even on viewers who denigrate it – no one cared about the destruction of New York in The Avengers, but Man of Steel taught people to fear collateral damage from war. It also taught ethical emancipation. The movie defies the paternalistic fantasy traditionally offered by the character of Superman, giving us instead of a conflicted, idealistic proletarian figure. The movie’s “nihilism” is truly emancipation. The merciless destruction and Zod’s death show that there are no safety nets or comforts to be had. Victory over your enemy will not be triumphant, but terrifying. The last thread had people constantly advocating violence against fascists, but unwilling to recognize that what they were heading for was that moment of terrible freedom.

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is a movie that remakes the story of Man of Steel (just see the direct references with bearded space dad using technological dioramas to explain the backstory to his estranged son) and its neatly shows off how to do everything in Man of Steel wrong, such as flattering audiences with a manchild hero for self-insertion.

Darth Walrus posted:

I suppose I can kinda see the parallels between MOS and GOTG2, if you view Yondu as Pa Kent and Ego as Jor-El. Actually, for all its self-indulgent flab, I do think you can see it as maybe offering a more thematically coherent take on the same plot.

The GOTG franchise is hugely thematically incoherent. Its visuals are conceptually wild but realized with affectless direction. it starts with a satirical Zap Brannigan - like manchild hero who implausibly shifts into an everyman schlub hero midway through the first movie, and is rewarded for trying to live out a fantasy life modelled after Han Solo and Indiana Jones. In the next movie, he and a bunch of other self-pitying killers kill a man representing egotism, thus becoming a better family of killers. This is apparently heart-warming for people.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Apr 21, 2018

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Superman did 9/11

Augus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 21, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So is BotL a lovely clone of SMG or is he the evil universe version of SMG? I can't keep SA continuity straight.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
SMG is funny. Don't be rude.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

So is BotL a lovely clone of SMG or is he the evil universe version of SMG? I can't keep SA continuity straight.

I am a Markov chain, designed to criticize genre fiction.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Yeah and that's admirable, but you appear to be malfunctioning because you're praising very bad genre fiction.

Failin Porte_Potty
Apr 4, 2017

Pounded in the Butt by an Outhouse Pretending to be an Internet Reviewer.
By Chuck Tingle

Mokinokaro posted:

Of course, you're an outhouse not Phelous.

I can't believe I japed myself!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah and that's admirable, but you appear to be malfunctioning because you're praising very bad genre fiction.

You seem to confusing cinema with literature. Genre fiction is by definition literature.