Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DoctorWhat posted:

well, this thread is in the podcast forum

so no

Yeah, what's up with that move, anyway? Considering the OP and the discussion is like 99,9% about YouTube, putting the thread into TV IV would have made more sense. Since you know, YouTube is the trashy reality TV of the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Would Kingdom Smarts be interesting for someone who doesn’t know anything about Kingdom Hearts?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Men Drinkin Coffee who were podplayers just ended so there’s that
They were good, and if you like goofy humor with three to four joker friends genuinely enjoying really bad games you cannot go wrong with them

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm still in denial.

At least we'll always have Ride to Hell and Detroit: Become Human.

and Sonic Forces: Become Toilet.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Sure, the minor lefttuber video over there might not be the most brilliant thing in the world or anything (let's be a little fair and say that...y'know, it might take time for a personal voice to be found) but I'll sure as hell take it, even technically, over 20 adjective animals talking over a solitary screen about the same drat thing or a lot of stuff that is, at best, a conservative-hued ripoff of altogether better channels (it's not like there isn't loads of that).

Something I have been thinking about lately though, is that even if lefttube isn't quite on a level with the small handful of big right-tubers out there...y'know, it appears that things are definitely changing. Purely for one example of two rather large Tubers in the 400-500k range: Even if Blaire White may at present have more raw subscribers than ContraPoints, if you look at their SocialBlades Contra is currently earning TEN times the amount of subscribers that Blaire is over 30 days - at this rate that's stayed consistent since she released her latest video (whereas Blaire's channel goes down in subs with each new video) Contra will overtake Blaire and go far beyond her within weeks. It's kinda clear which channel is on the upswing and which one is most certainly on the downswing (it seems to me that Blaire's recent attempt to become a more mainstream type of YouTube channel, even with a couple of friends in very high places, kinda sank like a stone - the old audience didn't take to it at all, and there wasn't much of a new audience to replace them. Lately she's back to reacting to literally the most generic videos for anti-SJW content - the Gillette ad, the trans woman at Gamestop, that sort of thing)

That's just one example of course, of a significant shift when it comes to the person who is the most visible political trans person on YouTube. But there's other examples out there too of left-wing channels that are starting to prosper. As easy as it may be to quickly grift and make a quick buck by doing a few vids about some generic anti-SJW type issue and get pretty much the same subscribers that every other fucker has, I think the worm is starting to turn a little.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You joke, but TaleSpin as a property actually has some serious legal issues surrounding it because of the use of King Louie iirc.

Besides, the real tragedy is no Duck Tales world. :colbert:

I kind of wondered if legal issues were involved in what worlds/properties made it into Kingdom Hearts. That's why the reveal that there would be Toy Story and Monsters Inc worlds was surprising to me, since I remember reading that the relation between Disney and Pixar was messed up.

I haven't played the game yet, or seen that much about it, so I'm still hoping that they put in a world based on Down & Out in Beverly Hills.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I would kill for a Great Mouse Detective world myself. Just so there can be a sweet setpiece boss in the clock-tower. The drawback is ,knowing Squenix, they would get a terrible Vincent Price impersonator for Ratigan and not get someone like, say, Maurice LaMarche.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

John Murdoch posted:

I think a key distinction for me is that while I don't actively dump on KH in the first place, I still harbor a grudge for how immediately off the rails it went going from 1 to 2. And while some of the plot twists and such mentioned itt sound digestible out of context, I feel like a number of them are actually a real pain in the rear end to piece together over the course of some long action RPGs. Plus a handful really feel like they just exist to make things more confusing rather than actually add anything to the plot. And that's before you take into account how large swaths of the story operate entirely through anime melodrama.

Basically I like 1, parts of 2, and then care about literally nothing else.

If I didn't know you were talking about Kingdom Hearts I could almost believe you were talking about another crossover Disney property, Once Upon a Time. I wonder if there's an underlying pattern here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

I would kill for a Great Mouse Detective world myself. Just so there can be a sweet setpiece boss in the clock-tower. The drawback is ,knowing Squenix, they would get a terrible Vincent Price impersonator for Ratigan and not get someone like, say, Maurice LaMarche.

Yeah, all the best Disney properties don't their time. Atlantis, The Emperor's New Groove, Holes, The Incredibles, Wall-E, etc.

Thankfully, Johnny Depp only beat his wife at home so they don't have to fire him and were able to keep using PoTC in the games!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Ghostlight posted:

I'm still in denial.

At least we'll always have Ride to Hell and Detroit: Become Human.

and Sonic Forces: Become Toilet.

No friend, it’s over and it’s good it’s over. They created so much content and yes, they’re the definitive group let’s players pod players in my mind but they deserve to have the ending they want to and move on to doing other things.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

Ariong posted:

Would Kingdom Smarts be interesting for someone who doesn’t know anything about Kingdom Hearts?

I didn't know poo poo about Kingdom Hearts going in and it's my favorite podcast ever

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I kind of wondered if legal issues were involved in what worlds/properties made it into Kingdom Hearts. That's why the reveal that there would be Toy Story and Monsters Inc worlds was surprising to me, since I remember reading that the relation between Disney and Pixar was messed up.

I haven't played the game yet, or seen that much about it, so I'm still hoping that they put in a world based on Down & Out in Beverly Hills.

I believe legal issues are the entire reason Tarzan has not reappeared since the first game, even though 2 of the games revisit the events of 1.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

There was no way in hell Disney wasn't gonna make at least one Pixar world happen in Kingdom Hearts III, because it's as big a franchise vehicle for them as it is for Squeenix.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

dancingbears posted:

For Kingdom Hearts, I've become a fan of Kingdom Smarts, a podcast where series fan Shannon Manor (professional character designer and illustrator) has 30 minutes to explain as much of the series as she can to Jake Mason (a very prolific podcaster and podcast editor), who knows nothing about the series but what Shannon tells him and what she allows him to see. It's mostly a beat-by-beat recap of the series, but Shannon is clearly passionate about the series and Jake gets into it, and there's a point where Jake has to admit that he was mad in real life at a cartoon duck. It's pretty good.

Do podcasts count as internet personalities?

donald did nothing wrong

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

a cartoon duck posted:

donald did nothing wrong

ADAB

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Really, the most shocking thing about KH3 is the lack of a Star Wars world, given how everyone at squenix are huge sw nerds

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Really, the most shocking thing about KH3 is the lack of a Star Wars world, given how everyone at squenix are huge sw nerds

Disney wouldn't agree to Square's request that Biggs and Wedge be the main characters of the star wars world

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They probably can’t even if they wanted to since EA has exclusive rights to develop Star Wars games, and I can’t imagine they’d be willing to let even a little slip out into another developer’s hands. It’d be another big, glaring example of how Disney screwed the pooch making that deal.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I Before E posted:

Disney wouldn't agree to Square's request that Biggs and Wedge be the main characters of the star wars world

i get the joke but id love if wedge and rocket raccoon were summons.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

i am tim! posted:

They probably can’t even if they wanted to since EA has exclusive rights to develop Star Wars games, and I can’t imagine they’d be willing to let even a little slip out into another developer’s hands. It’d be another big, glaring example of how Disney screwed the pooch making that deal.

Disney has done a much better job with marvel IP with games. apperently they just give it to good devs and let them do their thing outside some guidence. I hope they do that with star wars when EA gets its deal yanked.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

They should make another Yoda Stories.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Spiritual Jedi Academy sequel + It's set during Luke training his padawans (just make em teens or w/e).

Like how is this not made yet, that cash prints itself.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Zedd posted:

Spiritual Jedi Academy sequel + It's set during Luke training his padawans (just make em teens or w/e).

Like how is this not made yet, that cash prints itself.

That's because that game would be a narrative-based, single player game with no LIVE SERVICES, so EA would never make it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Make a jedi knight game with dark souls style invasions.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Just give Spider-Man a lightsaber and call it a day.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

GrandpaPants posted:

Make a jedi knight game with dark souls style invasions.

Just make a Star Wars Dark Souls game playing during the Clone Wars.

Just chatting around the lazer fire.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just make a Star Wars Dark Souls game playing during the Clone Wars.

Just chatting around the lazer fire.

In keeping with the Souls tradition of justifying death and resurrection as a gameplay mechanic, you die and resume play as another identical clone soldier, the only difference being your ID number going up every time as a death-counter.

The character customization screen is labeled "What did Jango Fett look like?"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tie Fighter 2 or bust.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

They should make another Yoda Stories.

*Schwibpt* sound effect upon killing an enemy.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
shut up about all these losers where the gently caress is SHAUN

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Disney has done a much better job with marvel IP with games. apperently they just give it to good devs and let them do their thing outside some guidence. I hope they do that with star wars when EA gets its deal yanked.
Apart from the time they pulled the license on the best Marvel game on the market after years of micro-managing approval for every piece of content.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

ArfJason posted:

shut up about all these losers where the gently caress is SHAUN

It seems like patreon makes it so that everyone uploads at the end of the month.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

TheMaestroso posted:

That's because that game would be a narrative-based, single player game with no LIVE SERVICES, so EA would never make it.
Not that they didn’t try. Remember the last Lord of the Rings game.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Pants Donkey posted:

Not that they didn’t try. Remember the last Lord of the Rings game.

You need to be more specfic, lol. There's a ton of LOTR games. Are you talking about the PS2 games?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's also all the stuff about how all the games have happened, with Euzeth's plans being base don remembering the Alpha timeline.

And that's not even going into the fact that Project X Zone and other stuff also happened.

Just give me the one where they use Evengelion characters. I wanna play as Shinji and Kaworu dammit!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TheMaestroso posted:

You need to be more specfic, lol. There's a ton of LOTR games. Are you talking about the PS2 games?

Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Not an EA game, but massively scummy lootbox practices

Anyways, I came across this video by Mother's Basement on Detroit: Become Human. It's a pretty good watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwVERl0OYjc

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 31, 2019

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

Middle Earth: Shadow of War. Not an EA game, but massively scummy lootbox practices

Thankfully removed and the game is actually quite good when rebalanced without them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

BigRed0427 posted:

Just give me the one where they use Evengelion characters. I wanna play as Shinji and Kaworu dammit!

Off the top of my head: Alpha, Alpha 3, and MX use the TV show, and L, Z3, and V use the Rebuild movies. V has an English translation and MX and L have LP's/translations by Brunom

L is particularly hilarious, since only the second movie had come out by that point so the Eva plot ends with Kaworu walking into SEELE and telling them "Sorry, we ran out of plot. Everybody go home."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BigRed0427 posted:

SRWV lets you play as Shinji and Kaworu at the same time. It's actually quite impressive how they made EVA-13 terrifying in a completely different way to how the movies did it.

Also, ANN's article about Vic Mignogna being a creep has gone up.. The writers did some legit good journalism, but it feels like they're only really scratching the surface here. Going to be interesting if this inspires a few more folks to break through what seems to be a pretty obvious culture of silence.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hbomb got a nice mention from Zero Books, albeit another one that collapses his DK64 stream into a conversation with Ocasio. The video’s just a sketch of the argument of a forthcoming book, but Zero’s usually pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JWfEpbYxWI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

There was also a video chronicling the Lord's Chosen Gamer, Creationist Cat's attempts to counter Hbomb's stream with 72 hours of Crossman for TERFs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5yyqOvx4Xg