Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Kay Kessler posted:

accused Jim Sterling of "having a boner" for him.

This one was especially petty, as Jim pointed out in response, since Randy was being super vague on the name during the interview this was said, obviously trying to get the host to namedrop for him. Which he didn't. Awkward as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

Gearbox kinda suck a lot of dicks. The debacle that was the Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition stands out too...like, as much as Bulletstorm is a pretty freaking cool game, charging full price for its remaster felt a bit of a pisstake. But not as much of a pisstake as then charging for Duke Nukem as DLC where they didn't even bother to sync up Jon St John's newly recorded lines with the mouth movements. And that wasn't as much of a pisstake as taking sponsorship money from freaking G2A of all people.

I mean...they got DNF done at least and it's out there, even if it's utter shite. They really didn't do a whole lot to it, mind - most of the work had already been done by 3D Realms in the last couple of years of the torturous dev cycle (after half the devteam walked and Broussard realised "poo poo, we might actually have to release this thing at some point").

There was an interview, where when asked about Colonial Marines, Pitchford said, "We wanted to make a good Aliens game", which amuses me, since actual development of the game was done by Timegate Studios, and the reception resulted in the studio getting shut down.

For as bad and as poorly managed as Duke Nukem Forever was, at the very least, I can give the Broussard and the team a modicum of credit in that they themselves tried to make the game they wanted to make.

I hadn't heard of them taking money from G2A, but that's not super surprising.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 7, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

I hadn't heard of the G2A stuff before, but maybe it's just that I forgot about it.

The deal was killed extremely fast due to th backlash.

Edit: \/ still around and desperately trying to appear legitimate. To the point they Raj theater ads before the Warcraft movie.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 7, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mokinokaro posted:

The deal was killed extremely fast due to th backlash.

Is G2A even still running? I'd would have thought that it would have been shut down by now.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
is this the new bad marketing thread? because im into it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ion Maiden's early access demo was pretty drat good, and I've accepted that as being the only real legacy Duke will have. Even if Gearbox makes another Duke Nukem game, I don't expect anything good from them. And seriously, gently caress Randy Pitchford.

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
Part of me wonders if Randy Pitchford subcontracts other game studios not to lighten the load for Gearbox, but just so he can have other companies to scapegoat when something bombs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I'm wondering/dreading what the hell Gearbox is going to do with the Homeworld IP. Deserts of Kharak was fantastic but in large part because it was made by the old Relic folks who formed Black Bird Interactive and divorced from Gearbox's meddling. Homeworld Remastered looked phenomenal, but played like rear end until about a year after its launch when Gearbox finally patched it with lots of help from Black Bird and the Homeworld fan community. They managed to resurrect Homeworld: Cataclysm too to everyone's surprise but now that they've run dry on the well of pre-existing Homeworld content it seems like they're just gonna squat on the IP rights like THQ did before it up and died.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm wondering/dreading what the hell Gearbox is going to do with the Homeworld IP. Deserts of Kharak was fantastic but in large part because it was made by the old Relic folks who formed Black Bird Interactive and divorced from Gearbox's meddling. Homeworld Remastered looked phenomenal, but played like rear end until about a year after its launch when Gearbox finally patched it with lots of help from Black Bird and the Homeworld fan community. They managed to resurrect Homeworld: Cataclysm too to everyone's surprise but now that they've run dry on the well of pre-existing Homeworld content it seems like they're just gonna squat on the IP rights like THQ did before it up and died.

Wait, they did? When did this happen? Is it a remastered version, too? Or just the old version re-published?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Libluini posted:

Wait, they did? When did this happen? Is it a remastered version, too? Or just the old version re-published?

Republished to work on modern systems. It's up on Good Old Games under Homeworld: Emergence now because Blizzard trademarked Cataclysm in the time since its original publication and Gearbox didn't want to get sued by the Big Blue B and its army of lawyers.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Released on GOG as Homeworld: Emergence to avoid confusion with (and lawsuits over) WoW Cataclysm.

e:f;b

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I doubt there was much of a plan to do anything besides re-release the games, Shipbreakers turning into Deserts was lucky enough as it was. And to be fair re-releasing them was more than THQ was ever going to do, alive or not. If someone comes along with a plan for another Homeworld game Gearbox will probably be far more open to exploring it than THQ would have been.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

They do stumble upon good at times. One thing about Gearbox is that for all their cringe (lol at ever thinking Battleborn was going to take out Overwatch...) and all their failures, we still follow them and are pretty interested in them. If more details came out on Borderlands 3 or especially a new Duke game or the new game in the long dormant Brothers In Arms series that's in dev, we'd be lapping it up. They have a certain vibe you don't often see anymore, like they still think and act like it's 1998 pretty much.

Anyone remember that really ridiculous and cringey fanfic someone posted of Anita Sarkeesian shooting Randy Pitchford that caused a big stink when Anita liked it? Fun times

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

did you know there have been 3 iOS Brothers in Arms games developed and published by GameLoft, the most recent one in 2014

because i didn't until just now

e: Regular Cars New Zealand ends with a bang and a turbo compressor hiss

Alaois fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 7, 2018

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Gearbox also bought up We Happy Few which man is a game I desperately want to like, but so much of their early access was just the poo poo ~survival~ parts of the game nobody cares about.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Yardbomb posted:

Gearbox also bought up We Happy Few which man is a game I desperately want to like, but so much of their early access was just the poo poo ~survival~ parts of the game nobody cares about.

I thought the reason they got bought up was to get the resources to make the game that people thought it was going to be based on what they advertised, a more narrative game without the bullshit survival stuff.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's still going to have the survival stuff in the campaign.

There's just going to be more direction and an actual story.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

And of course the price jumped up to 50 bucks on Steam as soon as they bought it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Testekill posted:

And of course the price jumped up to 50 bucks on Steam as soon as they bought it.

That was always planned, the price was going up to 50 when early access ended but getting bought out pushed the price raise sooner apparently.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Yardbomb posted:

That was always planned, the price was going up to 50 when early access ended but getting bought out pushed the price raise sooner apparently.

I assume it's a "we bought up this trainwreck, how much work needs to be done to fix/finish the campai-OH LORDY! :cripes:" factor.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
it wont be good!! probably

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I assume it's a "we bought up this trainwreck, how much work needs to be done to fix/finish the campai-OH LORDY! :cripes:" factor.

I mean the game was making pretty good time from the look of things, just more money now.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Reasons to buy Subnautica over every other Survival game:

+ It costs 20 dollarydoos.
+ It's an underwater FPS instead of a Minecraft-clone.
+ It actually left Early Access.
+ None of the game is procedurally-generated.
+ It has a campaign complete with story that has a beginning, middle, and end.
+ Hunger and Thirst meters are optional.
+ Permadeath is restricted to hardcore mode.
+ Your character has awesome hair-gel.
+ Incredible atmosphere and tension. You will fear the Reaper.
+ Randy Pitchford is not mentioned anywhere in the credits.

- Spots of poor-performance and noticeable pop-in.
- Inventory management is pretty cumbersome.
- Non-swimming sections are pretty awkward.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I would love another home world game to try and take on the dust wars concept for Homeworld 2's original concept. It wouldn't even take that much tweaking to Homeworld 2's ending, just retcon the mystical hyperspace core nonsense.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I would love another Homeworld game that prominently features a song by late '90s era Yes.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Reasons to buy Subnautica over every other Survival game:

+ It costs 20 dollarydoos.
+ It's an underwater FPS instead of a Minecraft-clone.
+ It actually left Early Access.
+ None of the game is procedurally-generated.
+ It has a campaign complete with story that has a beginning, middle, and end.
+ Hunger and Thirst meters are optional.
+ Permadeath is restricted to hardcore mode.
+ Your character has awesome hair-gel.
+ Incredible atmosphere and tension. You will fear the Reaper.
+ Randy Pitchford is not mentioned anywhere in the credits.

- Spots of poor-performance and noticeable pop-in.
- Inventory management is pretty cumbersome.
- Non-swimming sections are pretty awkward.

Subnautica's fine but the story is perfunctory and bizarrely structured while the performance, bugs and graphical glitches and shortcuts are really bad, especially considering a lot of them have been known since forever ago while it was in early access.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

khwarezm posted:

Subnautica's fine but the story is perfunctory and bizarrely structured while the performance, bugs and graphical glitches and shortcuts are really bad, especially considering a lot of them have been known since forever ago while it was in early access.

Joseph Anderson spotted

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

subnautica is a whole lot of cool ideas thrown into a game developed by some seriously incompetent developers. i still liked it but my god the bugs and performance issues were unforgiveable. tons of unity-inherent bugs that good devs can fix, atrocious pop-in, etc.

also the hardcore fanbase of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and as i've said before i have been and still am strongly considering making a video about the "hardcore" survival crowd mostly using subnautica as an example.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Incompetent is a bit of a harsh word to use for a studio that only has 20 employees making a 3D open world game with non-minecraft graphics that's available on both PC and console.
it's not the most optimized game in the world but it runs decently enough that it doesn't disrupt the experience.

and most fanbases are bad.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Incompetent coding describes not only subnautica's developers, but also the majority of game developers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Augus posted:

Incompetent is a bit of a harsh word to use for a studio that only has 20 employees making a 3D open world game with non-minecraft graphics that's available on both PC and console.
it's not the most optimized game in the world but it runs decently enough that it doesn't disrupt the experience.

and most fanbases are bad.

kerbal space program was made by an even smaller studio and while they did not squash every unity-inherent bug, they did a hell of a lot better a job than the subnautica devs by the time that game hit full release.

it's also worth pointing out that the subnautica devs actually claimed that they could not fix pop-in unless they got access to the unity source code. which, uh, no, i really highly doubt thay is anything but an excuse. and that pop-in absolutely affects the experience, sometimes a whole lot, as evidenced by any number of videos where someone was cruising in their seamoth and suddenly a giant mushroom that did not draw in pops into existence with the seamoth inside it, instantly exploding the seamoth.

Impermanent posted:

Incompetent coding describes not only subnautica's developers, but also the majority of game developers

this is also true and a completely expected result of treating coders as completely dispensible tools to be used up, burned out and thrown away since there's an endless stream of starry-eyed recent graduates that devs can snatch up at any time.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 7, 2018

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is also true and a completely expected result of treating coders as completely dispensible tools to be used up, burned out and thrown away since there's an endless stream of starry-eyed recent graduates that devs can snatch up at any time.

Agreed, it's kind of a gross consumer-centric kind of reasoning, but it would be much easier to get better running, moddable games if game devs had unions.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

kerbal space program was made by an even smaller studio and while they did not squash every unity-inherent bug, they did a hell of a lot better a job than the subnautica devs by the time that game hit full release.

kerbal space program looks like this

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's also doing an absolute shitload of complicated physics calculations at all times.

there's also a goon who is working solo to fix the pop-in that plagues subnautica. according to him, the entire reason it exists is because unknown worlds went with a really obtuse method to draw the world in. if one dude can identify why a performance issue exists and then fix it, then i'm sorry but the people who originally developed the game are, in fact, incompetent. and it's not even like that is an uncommon occurence at this point, there've been lots of cases of this exact thing happening.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Republished to work on modern systems. It's up on Good Old Games under Homeworld: Emergence now because Blizzard trademarked Cataclysm in the time since its original publication and Gearbox didn't want to get sued by the Big Blue B and its army of lawyers.

Sweet! Remembering all the stuff I have to do to keep Cataclysm running on a modern OS with good resolution and rendering gets tedious sometimes. Paying 8 bucks to future proof this poo poo is a good deal in my opinion.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

it's also doing an absolute shitload of complicated physics calculations at all times.

there's also a goon who is working solo to fix the pop-in that plagues subnautica. according to him, the entire reason it exists is because unknown worlds went with a really obtuse method to draw the world in. if one dude can identify why a performance issue exists and then fix it, then i'm sorry but the people who originally developed the game are, in fact, incompetent. and it's not even like that is an uncommon occurence at this point, there've been lots of cases of this exact thing happening.

If that's incompetence to you, then you've obliterated the actual meaning of the word.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

Turns out capitalism sucks in every possible way, who knew?!?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TheMaestroso posted:

Joseph Anderson spotted

Ok.

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

subnautica is a whole lot of cool ideas thrown into a game developed by some seriously incompetent developers. i still liked it but my god the bugs and performance issues were unforgiveable. tons of unity-inherent bugs that good devs can fix, atrocious pop-in, etc.

also the hardcore fanbase of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and as i've said before i have been and still am strongly considering making a video about the "hardcore" survival crowd mostly using subnautica as an example.

I liked most of the design principles in the game well enough in terms of things like food, water, oxygen and pressure but the most irritating thing was that you weren't given any kind of usable map at all. Even some basic 2d map that keeps track of the different biomes would have been fine, as it is you have to rely on markers you place in important places to not get annoyingly lost.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I would love another Homeworld game that prominently features a song by late '90s era Yes.

That was one of the things I have to give Gearbox props for. Before the remaster released they straight up said “We can’t use the Yes song in the game because it’s tied up by three different copyright holders even though Yes themselves said we could use it... But it’s easy to mod the song back into the game if you want to *wink wink*”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

If that's incompetence to you, then you've obliterated the actual meaning of the word.

Incompetence makes sense there, though? How else do you describe using a rendering approach that cause issues with gameplay implications out of ignorance and/or inexperience? That's a lack of competency in an area, hence incompetence. It doesn't make Subnautica garbage just like all of the issues with i.e. Dark Souls' PC port doesn't make that game garbage.