Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
The super mario bros movie is high cinema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I legit don't understand how somebody can end up with 3000 games in a Steam library, even with bundles and sales.

I mean, it's bundles and sales and being bad with money combined with equal parts mental illness, FOMO, and genuine curiosity about an insurmountable number of games multiplied by years and years of doing it.

In my early days it was entirely down to the fact that you could get a ludicrous pile of games just from being savvy around Steam deals - a good starting point of my collection was buying the old publisher packs where for $50 you basically got the entire SquareEnix/Eidos and THQ back catalogs. Steam in those days also begat an attitude that any game which was sufficiently cheap ($5 or less for just about anything, $10 or less if it was a really big notable game) was inherently worth buying, because bargain.

Then there were a number of middle years where I just obsessively tried to fill out genres of games that I wanted to like, wanted to play, but hadn't gotten around to really figuring out yet, leading to an embarrassingly massive untouched backlog of shmups, strategy games, and fighting games. Somewhere amongst those years was also the heyday of the many, many, MANY bundle sites all selling decent stuff instead of pure trash (IndieGala, IndieRoyale/Desura, Groupees, Bundle in a Box, etc. etc.). Oh, and of course, TF2 promo items enticing me to buy stuff I had very good reason to buy otherwise.

Nowadays I directly buy very few games. At most I'll grab a small casual puzzle game for $5 or less here and there and during big sales I'll gather up a bunch of 50c stuff from my wishlist and just get them all at once. My main source of games is the Humble Monthly which, due to my general interest in all types of games, has actually more often than not been spot-on w/r/t including games on my wishlist. My biggest recent purchase was buying Age of Wonders: Planetfall because the look and feel of it enchanted me and then unsurprisingly I got as far as installing it before forgetting about it and uninstalling it.

Also it's a very minor amount of bloat in the grand scheme of things, but some games come with separate multiplayer or beta clients and episodic games can have separate entries for each chapter (see: all of the early Telltale games), which inflates the numbers slightly. Then again, any inflation there is directly countered by all of the bespoke titles I have on other services like GOG.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Mr.Radar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAnGhgPeZMk

:yeshaha: Quinton Reviews is finally giving his long-teased take on To Boldly Flee. Premieres in two hours!

It is very, very strange to me that anyone watched Doug Walker for any period of time, but that's me on the old side of a yawning generation gap. When I was in middle school, the internet hadn't happened yet, I didn't have cable, and it was basically UHF for 80's cheese movies (which I enjoyed or dismissed without a hint of irony), Star Trek, and cartoons of various vintages and quality for my daily video entertainment. This guy, and many, many others, watched stuff that, maybe I would have also at that same age. But I think... I think for the first time I'm not envious of digital age people for the sheer breadth of entertainment options they have as kids. Doug Walker and everything else about channel awesome was never anything more to me than unwatchable trash (and AVGN looked all the better by contrast), but of course a lot of people liked it because it genuinely appealed to them. I still don't know how it could have appealed to them :corsair:, but at least I can now accept that it did.

This video is goddamned fascinating.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Oct 25, 2019

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Seconding the Watamote recommendation. It manages to be both funny and charming in spite of, and sometimes because of, its cringiness. I’m not a regular manga reader but I started following it after the anime ended because I was so engaged with it and wanted more, and I’ve kept up with it ever since.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Watamote is probably my favorite manga series and one of my favorite in any media that deals with character growth. The unbelievably cringe comedy of it in the first section of it evolves pretty smoothly into self-reflection and evolution as tomoko goes from a horribly creepy, sexual harassing, literal shut-in Channer to someone with a pretty decent social life and friends but fundamentally is still the same character and still has her moments of being an awkward weirdo. The cast of characters that have surrounded her over time are all fun and entertaining and usually weird in their own ways. Sometimes they fall into character archetypes a little too easily though.

I do wish the anime would pick up again and continue on past where it ended now that there is so much more content to draw from.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably the only other manga/anime I'd consider my favorite in terms of character growth would be Vinland Saga, since Thorfinn's journey over the course of it is really drat powerful. That's easily one of the best manga of all time, and I hear really good things about the anime too.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

I mean, it's bundles and sales and being bad with money combined with equal parts mental illness, FOMO, and genuine curiosity about an insurmountable number of games multiplied by years and years of doing it.

In my early days it was entirely down to the fact that you could get a ludicrous pile of games just from being savvy around Steam deals - a good starting point of my collection was buying the old publisher packs where for $50 you basically got the entire SquareEnix/Eidos and THQ back catalogs. Steam in those days also begat an attitude that any game which was sufficiently cheap ($5 or less for just about anything, $10 or less if it was a really big notable game) was inherently worth buying, because bargain.

Then there were a number of middle years where I just obsessively tried to fill out genres of games that I wanted to like, wanted to play, but hadn't gotten around to really figuring out yet, leading to an embarrassingly massive untouched backlog of shmups, strategy games, and fighting games. Somewhere amongst those years was also the heyday of the many, many, MANY bundle sites all selling decent stuff instead of pure trash (IndieGala, IndieRoyale/Desura, Groupees, Bundle in a Box, etc. etc.). Oh, and of course, TF2 promo items enticing me to buy stuff I had very good reason to buy otherwise.

Nowadays I directly buy very few games. At most I'll grab a small casual puzzle game for $5 or less here and there and during big sales I'll gather up a bunch of 50c stuff from my wishlist and just get them all at once. My main source of games is the Humble Monthly which, due to my general interest in all types of games, has actually more often than not been spot-on w/r/t including games on my wishlist. My biggest recent purchase was buying Age of Wonders: Planetfall because the look and feel of it enchanted me and then unsurprisingly I got as far as installing it before forgetting about it and uninstalling it.

Also it's a very minor amount of bloat in the grand scheme of things, but some games come with separate multiplayer or beta clients and episodic games can have separate entries for each chapter (see: all of the early Telltale games), which inflates the numbers slightly. Then again, any inflation there is directly countered by all of the bespoke titles I have on other services like GOG.

Good god man, I did essentially the same thing and ended up with 75 Steam games. Plus two neat programs I never used plus maybe two dozen more games on GoG and other services.

I'm guessing all the time I spend on other hobbies, like building Legos or painting miniatures or hiking in the woods meant you got some unfair advantages by dedicating your life to electronic entertainment, but loving 3000 games??? I can't comprehend this poo poo :psyduck:

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Arcsquad12 posted:

But it was worth it so Disney can make X-Men movies in the MCU, right?

Right?

Have you watched any of the Fox X-men movies past the first two, or Logan?

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
New Alt-Right playbook about how normies get radicalised

https://youtu.be/P55t6eryY3g

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Spark That Bled posted:

One of those is good and it's the one that doesn't have X-Men in the title

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Libluini posted:

Good god man, I did essentially the same thing and ended up with 75 Steam games. Plus two neat programs I never used plus maybe two dozen more games on GoG and other services.

I'm guessing all the time I spend on other hobbies, like building Legos or painting miniatures or hiking in the woods meant you got some unfair advantages by dedicating your life to electronic entertainment, but loving 3000 games??? I can't comprehend this poo poo :psyduck:
I have like 100 games on GOG, over half of them unplayed, because they cost me like 5$ or I got them for free. I find it kind of embaressing when I open up Galaxy and wade through all of those unplayed games just to end up playing the same three. 3000 sounds insane to me.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I was surprised to learn from that channel awesome movie review posted earlier that Colin Mochrie’s daughter was apparently a mid-2000s video reviewer. Is that true, or was she just hired to play luke skywalker?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
She was, in fact, a video reviewer.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

One of those is good and it's the one that doesn't have X-Men in the title

So that's one, out of like, thirteen or so?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

DoctorWhat posted:

She was, in fact, a video reviewer.

oh i never put the fact that she was colin mochrie's daughter together until just now i liked some of her videos but wasn't an avid watcher

also while mostr x-men movies are atrocious i'd rather have a gigantic range in quality over marvel studios' homogeneous mediocrity

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Libluini posted:

Bundles used to be nuts, and sometimes still are. Also keep in mind that there's no real downside to claiming Steam games (and if anything , if you bother to gently caress around with trading cards it can be a very good thing to shovel crap onto your account). So what happens is I'll look at a bundle, give a rough approximate value judgement to each game in the bundle (weighted towards stuff I actually want!) and then say "yeah $3 is worth these three games, cuz hey, a dollar each!" and then claim the full bundle of 8 or 9 games. Now multiply that by a site like IndieGala where they'd have, bare minimum, something like 3 bundles a week...and used to actually have games worth discussing in said bundles.

Fun fact, 2000 Steam games is around where I decided I should slow my goddamn roll and I tried to stop buying games I had no immediate need for. (In my brain I call it the "shmup rule" because I ended up with so many unplayed shmups right next to even more on my wishlist.) Despite that, the number kept creeping up because of bundles and sales. I was mildly proud of having 2000 games, but I'm embarrassed to have 3000. One double-edged sword to the shifts in the market, especially for indies, is that I've become a lot more discerning about buying games on the fly. My rule used to be that I'd play any game for 5 bucks or less, but even that's slowly scrunched down to the aforementioned "gather 10 cheapo Steam games on sale, merry Christmas" strategy. The advantage is obviously that I don't impulse-buy games as much anymore. The disadvantage is that my brain will genuinely agonize over games and make arguments based on arbitrary price points and other things like average playtime (as if I ever get around to playing most of these games :(). We're talking waffling on perfectly fine indie games over the difference between $5 and $7.49 or $12 and $14.99.

And then of course some days all of this complex, stressful brain bullshit flies out the window and I want to feel better by just buying something that looks nice so I just grab whatever cuz I feel like it.

I can't overstate how much mental illness plays a part here. Beyond the usual stuff my family has a history of hoarder behavior, I just went digital with it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I really need to cancel my Humble Bundle, its been going for like a year and I never play the games.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

John Murdoch posted:

I feel that. I never went in as deeply on multiple bundles, but I also hit the bottom of my money barrel pretty fast when I was buying every Steam game I figured I'd play one day. I ended up topping out at around 500 games in the end.

John Murdoch posted:

Bundles used to be nuts, and sometimes still are. Also keep in mind that there's no real downside to claiming Steam games (and if anything , if you bother to gently caress around with trading cards it can be a very good thing to shovel crap onto your account). So what happens is I'll look at a bundle, give a rough approximate value judgement to each game in the bundle (weighted towards stuff I actually want!) and then say "yeah $3 is worth these three games, cuz hey, a dollar each!" and then claim the full bundle of 8 or 9 games. Now multiply that by a site like IndieGala where they'd have, bare minimum, something like 3 bundles a week...and used to actually have games worth discussing in said bundles.

Fun fact, 2000 Steam games is around where I decided I should slow my goddamn roll and I tried to stop buying games I had no immediate need for. (In my brain I call it the "shmup rule" because I ended up with so many unplayed shmups right next to even more on my wishlist.) Despite that, the number kept creeping up because of bundles and sales. I was mildly proud of having 2000 games, but I'm embarrassed to have 3000. One double-edged sword to the shifts in the market, especially for indies, is that I've become a lot more discerning about buying games on the fly. My rule used to be that I'd play any game for 5 bucks or less, but even that's slowly scrunched down to the aforementioned "gather 10 cheapo Steam games on sale, merry Christmas" strategy. The advantage is obviously that I don't impulse-buy games as much anymore. The disadvantage is that my brain will genuinely agonize over games and make arguments based on arbitrary price points and other things like average playtime (as if I ever get around to playing most of these games :(). We're talking waffling on perfectly fine indie games over the difference between $5 and $7.49 or $12 and $14.99.

And then of course some days all of this complex, stressful brain bullshit flies out the window and I want to feel better by just buying something that looks nice so I just grab whatever cuz I feel like it.

I can't overstate how much mental illness plays a part here. Beyond the usual stuff my family has a history of hoarder behavior, I just went digital with it.

Yeah Bundles were pretty insane but a lot of them went to absolute poo poo real fast IMHO. Ironically my steam library might actually be poorer because I redeemed a bunch of them on Desura back in the day, when that was still a thing.

Hope you're doing a little bit better on the mental health front.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Raenir Salazar posted:

I really need to cancel my Humble Bundle, its been going for like a year and I never play the games.

yeah that's the business model of subscriptions, hook you in with deals too good to say no to and then count on you not bothering to cancel the subscriptions meaning you paid massively inflated prices for the stuff you actually cared about

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Captain Invictus posted:

Watamote is probably my favorite manga series and one of my favorite in any media that deals with character growth. The unbelievably cringe comedy of it in the first section of it evolves pretty smoothly into self-reflection and evolution as tomoko goes from a horribly creepy, sexual harassing, literal shut-in Channer to someone with a pretty decent social life and friends but fundamentally is still the same character and still has her moments of being an awkward weirdo. The cast of characters that have surrounded her over time are all fun and entertaining and usually weird in their own ways. Sometimes they fall into character archetypes a little too easily though.

What's really eyebrow-raising (except not really) is the creator says she toned it down from her actual high school experiences. Whether or not this meant she also cheated at Pokemon to impress elementary school kids I couldn't say.

It's got a good dub, too. Monica Rial knocks it out of the park as Tomoko.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I also buy cheap bundles relatively regularly, bloating my steam library.

And then I go back to playing free games because they are often superior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yup3hkmBj2Y

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Clerical Terrors posted:

I feel that. I never went in as deeply on multiple bundles, but I also hit the bottom of my money barrel pretty fast when I was buying every Steam game I figured I'd play one day. I ended up topping out at around 500 games in the end.

Yeah Bundles were pretty insane but a lot of them went to absolute poo poo real fast IMHO. Ironically my steam library might actually be poorer because I redeemed a bunch of them on Desura back in the day, when that was still a thing.

Hope you're doing a little bit better on the mental health front.

Oh yeah, bundle sites peaked and then burned out in a big way. Half of them died completely and stuff like Indie Gala and Groupees started going all-in on pure Steam trash. I might've bought more than a few bundles that were lopsided in terms of quality, but even I'm not dumb enough to buy one that's literally nothing but unfiltered garbage. Fanatical really picked up the slack but even they've been lackluster lately. Humble has stayed about as good as it ever has, at least in term of game bundles. (Frankly it seems like the new hotness is trying to shill lovely ebooks.)

Mental health...yes and no. Steps forward and steps back, y'know? I appreciate the well-wishes. :)

My current (frustratingly nascent) plan is to get into streaming, since that could very easily feed off of my hellacious backlog.

Edit: Though I guess I should also mention that the other thing that gets me every time is that I have a pathological need to have a "complete" version of a game so I'm often tying myself in knots over Ubisoft games and stuff like strategy games that piece their content out bit by bit.

VictualSquid posted:

I also buy cheap bundles relatively regularly, bloating my steam library.

And then I go back to playing free games because they are often superior:

This was me for a while too. First LoL, then HotS. Not even playing hardcore, just noodling around against bots as a weird daily game meditation thing. Then a stint of Fortnite. Please do not ask me how much money I put into any of them.

Also please do not ask how many hours I put into Destiny 2 over the last few weeks and why I felt the need to quit cold turkey. (Though in fairness I did actually pay for it before it went F2P.)

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 25, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Spark That Bled posted:

I would gladly have a lovely x-men movie every year if it meant Phantom Of The Paradise could have even one rep screening.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

John Murdoch posted:

Oh yeah, bundle sites peaked and then burned out in a big way. Half of them died completely and stuff like Indie Gala and Groupees started going all-in on pure Steam trash. I might've bought more than a few bundles that were lopsided in terms of quality, but even I'm not dumb enough to buy one that's literally nothing but unfiltered garbage. Fanatical really picked up the slack but even they've been lackluster lately. Humble has stayed about as good as it ever has, at least in term of game bundles. (Frankly it seems like the new hotness is trying to shill lovely ebooks.)

Edit: Though I guess I should also mention that the other thing that gets me every time is that I have a pathological need to have a "complete" version of a game so I'm often tying myself in knots over Ubisoft games and stuff like strategy games that piece their content out bit by bit.
Funny you mention this. My Steam list is around 200 games, much of which was collected during the bundle boom, but my GOG collection is over 300, borne partly of a desire to have "complete" versions of games that weren't tied directly to an online service. I bought into the idea of "owning" my games, and it wasn't long after that, that buying games was, for a good long time, a game in itself. I even maintain a spreadsheet of my vast wealth of video games.

For me, this started with a hard copy of "Civilization IV Complete" purchased at a Fry's Electronics around 2010. I have a collection of around 40 PC games, mostly from the 90's, that I was a hardcore fan of when I had time to be self-awarded such a title, but this was the first such game I had bought in a long time, because it was "Complete." No DRM, no online activation, all expansions and DLC included. No cracks, no patches needed. Everything in one neat little package. This was the new standard for me: wait long enough, a complete version of something will eventually go on sale.

GOG debuted around this time as well, and the notion of "owning" a complete version of a game fit neatly into the good ol' cycle of happiness/depression/purchasing/playing/storing of video games that I still occasionally fall into. Hell, they even had a bookshelf once. Imaginary riches.

These days I wishlist stuff and hunt for it on sale. That's the game. I don't buy nearly as many games, but the 'game' of buying goes on.

I look at it partly this way: I don't have a lot of space to fill with kitchy crap, I can't afford vacations to get souvenirs, I don't have the shelf space that the average YouTube personality does to fill with decades of nostalgia toys. I mostly buy books and video games these days, and books look good anywhere and can be sold or given away easily, and video games take up imaginary digital space. And socks. Socks are more important than ever. There's nothing like a pair of socks fresh out of the bag.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Ryuga Death posted:

I've also been enjoying this channel that goes through Virtual Boy, NES, SNES, and Game Boy games (probably more that I missed).

Here's one I recommend, a thorough look of VB's Jack Bros!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUl0VbjZWWY

Jeremy Parish has been a mainstay on "old game talky" internet for nearly 20 years to the point that you can just hear the sheer "Yes, I've been talking about stuff like this for that long, I am VideoGame Dad" from any time he makes a pun for every single video he makes. I found it kinda relieving that he's been slowly realizing that at this rate, reviewing every single Nintendo game like this would outlive him so he's been doing stuff like pairing games that all fit a certain standard or release or admitting he probably won't finish the series on this week's video.

https://twitter.com/TylerAshcraft/status/1187079377877487616

Which might explain Doctor Sparkle's current attitude about his own game series:

https://twitter.com/Chrontendo/status/1187093533523505153

(Specially when his last video had The Three Stooges game on it, and when you make like, the 60th hour to two hours long video on NES/FDS games something snaps on your head.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n44yaU9E6fM

New Sage video

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Who did what now, I don't know these people

RobotsLoveSpectres
Dec 29, 2008
jist is that a guy chose saying the n word over his friend

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

I presume that's in reference to recent drama between Trihex and Destiny. They had an argument on one of their group shows because Destiny said a hard r N-word somewhere, Trihex called it out and Destiny had a bit of a shitfit. That's what I gathered anyway. Seems like friendship has ended there.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Hasn't the left community spent like 2 weeks telling Destiny to stop using the n-word?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I mean 'the left' hates Destiny for being a nazi enabling war crimes apologist but yea we have been laughing at him being all 'yea I say the n-word a lot' as if that's normal

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Jacod Geller, who's quickly becoming one of my favorite YouTubers, has a fascinating video onthe wild world of museum theft.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I mean 'the left' hates Destiny for being a nazi enabling war crimes apologist but yea we have been laughing at him being all 'yea I say the n-word a lot' as if that's normal

Does anyone actually like him? I mean, whenever I've seen him, whether it's politics or not, he comes across like a total wanker.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There was a small window after he dunked on Sargon and some other alt-right punks with Hassan a while back where Leftists were warming up to him and hoping he was coming around to see the light but that was short lived and he became the contrarian he is today to spite those people.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Does anyone actually like him? I mean, whenever I've seen him, whether it's politics or not, he comes across like a total wanker.

centrist 'we gotta let both sides have their say' types mainly

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I heard he was good at reaching out to alt-right people and making them rethink things, but that could be wrong.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Just recently discovered this,

I guess my politics and budding alcoholism is what tipped off the algorithm. Anyway it was a good watch, I knew nothing of Dwarf Fortress but wasn't lost.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

bobjr posted:

I heard he was good at reaching out to alt-right people and making them rethink things, but that could be wrong.

Caleb from FaradaySpeaks was inspired to leave the alt-light because of Destiny's debates so I'm on the side of "Destiny deradicalizes alt-lighters".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, he was a very specifically useful tool that seems to have finally made his turn over the n-word, which is somehow not a surprise.