Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

It isn’t just Transformers. There has been plenty of media targeted at men and boys that have gone through the same trajectory of immense hype and popularity followed by immense backlash, e.g. The Da Vinci Code, Eragon, Ready Player One and Sword Art Online. You could even point to the whole “violent video games will corrupt kids’ minds” panic of the 90s as an example since those were aimed almost exclusively at boys at the time.

It’s just something that happens whenever a piece of media becomes popular in a way that others find inexplicable. Sure, Twilight isn’t significantly worse than your average Mills and Boon novel, and RPO isn’t significantly worse than your average nerd self-insert story, but they both became extremely famous and somehow got turned into movies while other, better stories got left in the dust. Mocking them is just a way of getting some amusement out of the whole thing, and it’s all in good fun as long as you don’t cross over into mocking the fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Chuck’s Lost World review was magnificent. He may share Dom’s reluctance to go full angry critic, but when he does, he’s drat good at it.

But wow, that movie sounds like a giant pile of dinosaur poo poo. Few things annoy me more in a story than when it tries to prop up a moron as the hero without understanding that the character is a moron; doubly so if the only reason they’re the hero is because they have some moral or political stance that the writer wants to promote.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Janeway may have had her share... or more than her share of dumb moments, but she did feel like a leader most of the time, which is more than I can say for Archer.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Internet Historian: TheVarus Strakes Buck

I knew there’d end up being a sequel to that last video, but even I couldn’t have predicted it’d be one of the funniest he’s ever done. Just amazing.

Meanwhile, the first part of Dom’s Twilight series is up and it’s pretty good. It was interesting to hear how Bella started out as a slightly deeper character before being completely pigeonholed into the romantic plot for the rest of the series.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I'm just picturing a Terminator movie where the main characters are humans trying to stop other humans from killing the terminators in order to preserve the natural ecosystem of the robot apocalypse.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I remember disliking Undertale for a bunch of reasons but the humor would have to be near the top of the list. I just didn't find it funny at all.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

flesh dance posted:

I went into Undertale blind because it looked like something I'd love and didn't want spoilers. I can be down with most styles of gameplay... except bullet hell, it's the worst. Was very surprised when that was the thing. I can't remember what I expected, probably something more akin to a "regular" rpg but weird somehow? A minimal combat text adventure?
This was basically my experience as well. I ended up just watching an LP rather than finishing it.

Although to drat it with some faint praise: at least it was consistent with its mechanics. Not like Nier Automata (an otherwise fantastic game) that smacks you in the face with a nightmarish bullet hell sequence right at the very end.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

gently caress you guys jrpgs own.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As annoying as the linearity can be sometimes, I think it's necessary in order to tell the kind of story RDR2 is trying to tell. It's meant to be a tragedy; a tale of a group of people doomed by their own chronic inability to learn from their mistakes and move on. And so bad stuff often happens, and the characters do stupid things, and it all has to happen like that because otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

Plus, the gameplay was enjoyable IMO and the open world stuff was extremely fun, and you could switch back to that at any time when you needed a break from the missions.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Sleeping Dogs has a habit of doing this sort of thing. I love the game and I've replayed several times, but it’s extremely picky about what you’re allowed to bring with you into story missions. There are plenty of special costumes available, some of which come with unique bonuses or weapons, but they're locked out more often than not.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I think that rather than saying all art is “political”, a more appropriate word would be “philosophical”.

The two words are closely related, but when most people see the word political they automatically assume it has to do with specific politicians, ideologies and so on. It makes them wary because it sounds like you’re saying all art is propaganda. That’s an error on their part, but if you keep insisting on using a term that people misunderstand, that’s not doing anyone any good. “Philosophical” instead better evokes what I assume is the intended message, which is that all art has thought and ideas put into it and is influenced by the circumstances of its creation.

But bear in mind, whether you’re speaking in terms of politics or philosophy, everything is still subjective. You may look at something and see a promotion of one ideology while another person can look at it and see a very different message. Even something that literally is meant as propaganda can be more or less effective, or can say something entirely unintended because of the context in which it is viewed. There’s no wrong way to look at art but there is a wrong way to talk about it and that is to say “my interpretation is correct and I will not consider any arguments to the contrary”. Unfortunately, on the internet, this latter attitude is the most common.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

ButterSkeleton posted:

I'm really bad at history. Is the U.S. uniquely terrible or does it just seem that way because it's often talked about?

World history is a rich and complex tapestry of all sorts of people loving over all sorts of other people.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Holy poo poo, a guy just got murdered on the street in Portland and this rear end in a top hat thinks there should be more idiots with guns running around playing vigilante.

Just… :wtc:

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Garrand posted:

I haven't played any of the wasteland games, although 3 is on my list, so I don't have complete context. It seems really weird that the first shot wouldn't cause combat with everyone but then the second shot did. Like, they either care or they don't, not sure why the difference in reactions.

If he gets shot once it’ll start combat with the rest of them, whether or not you finish him off.

And that review is just full of stupid stuff. Like even just in that section he calls the group “a camp of downtrodden apocalypse survivors”, when they’re all accomplices to the massacre of Lucia’s family. It’s why you’re confronting them in the first place. Another example: later on the reviewer criticizes the game for not having an overwatch system, which it does have and which the tutorial clearly explains.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Uri Geller seemed like he was everywhere on British TV back in the 90s. At the time I was completely obsessed with the paranormal, aliens, conspiracies, all that kinda stuff, and even I thought his act looked fake as gently caress.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I loved both seasons of Bahamut. True, the second didn’t quite live up to the standards of the first but I’m not sure why it gets so much hate. Whatever flaws it had, it also gave us more of the best character Rita so I'll forgive it.

The Manaria Friends spinoff was pretty good too, despite the short run time of each episode and the lack of Rita. Don’t go into it expecting action though since it’s more of a slice-of-life thing.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Augus posted:

guys he's talking about actual open racists and far-right reactionaries who like Vtubers, not you, the person reading this post.

But is there any evidence that this is happening? I mean, there are racists and reactionaries all over the internet. That tweet implies that vtuber fandoms are especially bad, which I don't think is true.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Augus posted:

no it doesn't

It wasn't clear that that tweet was part of an ongoing discussion. On its own, it looked like he just decided to single out vtuber fans for some reason.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I think a lot of people seem to overestimate just how central all the utopian crap was to the TNG era. It was there, sure, but plenty of episodes just revolved around the Enterprise getting caught up in some weirdness in deep space with no mention of Federation politics at all. Either that or the times (like the Prime Directive episodes, or the one with the Native Americans) when the Federation was portrayed more like a dogmatic bureaucracy that the main characters had to work against in order to do what was right.

And then there was DS9, which I would say was the best Trek show precisely because of how often it poked holes in the supposedly perfect future society. It gave us a better idea of what life was like for the average person who didn’t live on the Starfleet flagship, and it felt more real to me because of it.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I know almost nothing about wrestling but despite that I still absolutely loved The Mark Remark. The guy’s just such a natural entertainer that he can talk about almost anything and make it funny.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I remember that kids vs. adults trope being everywhere on TV and in books, and I never cared for it personally even if I did understand why a lot of writers liked to use it. When I was a kid it felt like I was being talked down to and expected to identify with characters purely because of their age, and nowadays it just seems really silly and contrived. The exception being comedies like Home Alone where the silliness of the situation was the point of the joke.

Whether or not a story supports a status quo, however you define that, I think that what really matters is how honest the writer is about it. Do they want to create a bittersweet finale, with some problems unresolved and possibly unresolvable? That’s fine, but they have to communicate this properly, and it has to match the tone of the story as a whole. The ending of Harry Potter failed, as far as I’m concerned, because it tried to sweep all the deeply-ingrained flaws in wizard society (that the books had previously discussed at length) under the rug in order to present a happily ever after scenario for the main characters.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Bennett has been having a very rough time recently. I'm glad to hear he's not cancelling the show, but I don't think anyone would blame him for taking some time off given the poo poo that's happened.

His talk of writing a novel has me curious, although I guess it'll be a while before we hear anything more about that. I've been writing one of the past couple of years and it's only now getting close to being finished. Although, I guess compared to working on a youtube show for thirteen years (!) it probably feels like a cakewalk.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Persona without the bad parts already exists. It's called Tokyo Xanadu and it's awesome.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Witcher 1 has that same kind of haphazard charm to it that a lot of relatively low-budget RPGs do. It's unpolished, but the writing and quest design stuck out to me as impressive at a time when a lot of AAA games were becoming more simplified. I've spoken in the past about how much I like Fallout 3, for example, but the one aspect of that I absolutely won't defend is the main quest.

Witcher 2 is... alright. I still enjoyed it and I felt that the writing was as solid as before but it felt a lot more limited in scope. Standard middle-of-trilogy syndrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

YMS watches Confused Matthew’s infamous Lion King review and riffs on it. I had completely forgotten Confused Matthew existed, but his ignorance about every aspect of filmmaking and storytelling almost makes Doug Walker look insightful by comparison. No wonder Doug got popular back in the day if that was his competition.

Meanwhile, Dominic Noble learns way more than he ever wanted to know about vampire anatomy.