Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I will always remember TB for the time he helpfully directed a GG hatemob my way. Wonderful man. RIP.

Veneration of the dead is absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Darth Walrus posted:

You might want to re-watch the opening, then. The whole point is that he forces the issue and drags the Resistance into a devastating and unnecessary battle.

The whole point is actually that the Resistance isn't a coherent military unit and that Leia (and later Holdo) are wrong for trying to treat it as one. By forgetting the roots of the Rebellion's military success (wild assaults with suicidal strike craft) they have lost touch with the common people doing all the fighting and dying, which is why Poe commands the respect of his bombers and isn't alone when it comes time to mutiny. This is why Holdo's plotline ends with her redeeming herself by adopting Poe's tactics.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's an interesting contrast: two movie franchises produced by the same house, involving a trilogy, starting about the same time, with at least one shared actor. One became this whole big big Expanded Universe with many video-game tie-ins, eliciting multiple prequels and additional sequels decades on, both in cinema and on television, while the other had basically stagnated, leading to a couple of games, one belated sequel, a bit of a prequel series that never went too far. Is it because of how big a canvass a galaxy far, far away can be?

Yes, but also that Indiana Jones is specifically centered on the eponymous character. There isn't a powerful hook for establishing the franchise the way there is with Star Wars, but it's not like there isn't room for more stories in the setting of an Earth full of real magical artifacts... it's just doubling limiting in that moving beyond Jones himself would beg the question of how it's even the same franchise at all.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kim Justice posted:

EDIT: Like, this isn't serious. I can't believe you'd put Milo UNDER a guy who at worst has South Park politics.

Have you really never before encountered the idea that gutless centrists carrying water for the far right is more damaging than the far right itself? Whether you disagree or not, it’s not exactly some wild idea out of nowhere.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Doctor Spaceman posted:

In Andromeda it was the intersection of token representation and bad writing. Most characters climsily dump their life story on you a few sentences into the conversation but most characters aren't trans.

The truly egregious thing about Andromeda’s trans representation wasn’t even the abrupt disclosure, because as you say that’s just the shallow nature of npc interaction across the board and while the conversation didn’t flow well at all, at least openly disclosing trans status or taking pride in being visibly trans are real things that people actually do.

No, the really inexcusable thing was the way Hainly deadnames herself for literally no reason while disclosing, which is just a totally unthinkable act for the vast majority of trans folk — it’s really hard to imagine a more effective way to signal that this character wasn’t really aimed at the people she was supposed to be representing so much as an attempt at being inclusive for inclusivity’s sake without really understanding what they were trying to include.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Oh yeah, the actual justification there for tying her transition to the need to switch galaxies was also completely awful, but I couldn’t even get around to thinking about that when I played through the conversation because of how dumbfounded I was by the deadnaming. It was just so viscerally wrong to hear.

Hainly was maybe the most frustrating part of Andromeda for me, if only because unlike the rest of the game she only really needed the barest amount of extra thought and effort to turn out fine and they couldn’t even manage that.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Terrible Opinions posted:

the result of him being very bad at translating the scrolls he was working on and just assuming he had stumbled upon some secret super transformation.

I mean, he wasn’t wrong.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

sexpig by night posted:

Like 90% of the TERF movement is lovely people who are lesbians who try to claim that trans women are just male rapists who victimize the community.

Some of them, but I doubt the percentage is quite that high. A lot of the TERFs I've encountered who use this rhetoric are actually straight women who have no interest in lesbians beyond painting them as the supposed victims in order to excuse their own bigotry.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
It’s not that weird. Death has always had a way of absolving (white) people of all sin.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kim Justice posted:

Some of you are so loving sociopathic it scares me.

See, I would say the genuinely scary thing here is the open revisionist defense of a genuinely awful person, but then again that's kind of your thing, so whatever.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kim Justice posted:

"Genuinely awful person" lol ok.

It wasn't enough for him to die at 33 then that people can't leave not only his memory but his wife alone. gently caress off.

Another genuinely awful thing is the idea that dying and having a family are somehow exceptional circumstances which place a person's legacy beyond reproach.

God forbid anything in the world actually matter beyond Youtuber tribalism.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Kim Justice posted:

Somewhere the dictum that "when people aim low, we should aim high" was lost completely.

You may want to refer to the history of the last few years for a quick primer on why people are increasingly disinclined to buy into this sort of self-defeating decorum nonsense.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

khwarezm posted:

Throwing aside Decorum makes sense in the political arena where things actually matter

What do you think the Internet is?

Like what century are you from that you’ve missed the obvious intersection between Online and what happens in the real world? Politics isn’t an isolated arena set apart from the rest of society, and the concept of a truly apolitical anything in this age is an obvious lie meant to insulate people from responsibility for their actions.

Sio fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 13, 2018

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
I think it’s more than Reid’s position was stronger by virtue of being a popular and highly visible media personality. Directors are much more expendable, as evidenced by the constant turnaround.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
Jackson’s argument was off but his frustration is understandable and there’s a real issue that can’t just be swept aside. Get Out is a pretty good example to use because Peele was deliberately set against casting a British lead... and then did it anyway.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
“Keep politics out” is about as politically charged as an editorial stance can be, but amusingly also becomes much more honest if you remove the word politics.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead
does he touch on his current callout over being a victim-blaming rapist-defending shithead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

Pharohman777 posted:

What makes the situation even stupider is that after the journalist who broke the story, Sophia narwitz was told by the ESA they took the information down she checked that it was down via the website and published the story.

But the ESA never took the excel spreadsheet off the server, so cached versions of the page and archive.org versions still linked to the info.

That's inexcusably faulty "journalism" on her part, regardless of the ESA's failures. Seeing a lot of people who were doxxed understandably very upset with her.