Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Bah, bad news: Simone Giertz's tumor's back. :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x5XRQ07sjU

gently caress, that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I was always partial to Sad Sweetheart Of The Rodeo from their 2nd album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTnLVX689fE

Their later material was much more mature and interesting, if a bit mellower. Pike St/Park Slope, Wine Women and Song, Cream and Bastards Rise...good stuff.

Sadly the bass player died during Death Year 2016. He had also been The Stranger's art director.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
DS9 ended well even if the last season was a different beast than the prior ones.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
I just don't think Star Wars is as much of a big deal to kids these days, at least in terms of it consuming a large part of their attention and fan identity. It's just another source of content competing with everything else. When I was my son's age my life revolved around reenacting the Battle of Endor but for him he's got Mario, Toy Story, the Marvel universe, Minecraft, etc. on his mind. Even the kids who watched the Clone Wars cartoon in first run, arguably the most popular piece of the pie aside from the movies, are pushing college age now.

The main trilogy movies still make bank but I think most people just go to see a movie because everyone else is, and they move on to the next one a week later. There's no ongoing intrigue or imagination being cultivated.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 15, 2019

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face posted:

George Lopez seems like the kind of guy where you'd have to be a real piece of poo poo to be attacked by him. Sort of like how Andy Dick got his face smashed in by Jon Lovitz.

George Lopez divorced his wife after she donated one of her kidneys to him. lol owned.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

You made it through "I acquit"?

The funny thing is that caused the exact same schism in the AV Club comments.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Lindsay Ellis is a fantastic YouTube personality and a horrible Twitter personality.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Yeah, uh, what exactly is going on here?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Stalker was based on a Strugatzky brothers novel from the '70s anyway. The Chernobyl disaster just happened to be a real life manifestation of the kind of disaster they knew the Soviet power structure was capable of conjuring and subsequently fumbling.

By the way, reading anything from the Strugatzky brothers is highly recommended.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Jamie Faith posted:

Aaaaaa YIKES I missed that! And here I thought the worst thing about NDT was his bad twitter takes. gently caress, I'll miss watching Cosmos.

From the Meme thread at the time:

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Dapper_Swindler posted:

good points. i do think serling would have probably liked it, but he probably would have wanted it to do its own thing more. i think another knock against it is more that twilight zone wacky twists and such have become tropes in of themselves. so alot of the twists mostly end up "it was aliens" even if the theme/moral was great.

Yeah, some of the best original TZ episodes have nothing to do with "twists" or malevolent aliens or whatever, just little slices of life, taking stock of the human condition through the lens of a different plane of existence.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Kim Justice posted:

Logan has uniroinically mouthed off about not just doing MMA, but doing it and fighting Conor McGregor in the Octagon because he did wrestling in high school. The man may be ever so slightly delusional.

EDIT: Looking at this seriously (as much as y'know, it's possible) -- it seems like they want to do this in April, which only gives Antonio Brown three months of not just training camp but...well, flat out learning boxing. He doesn't have any experience to anyone's knowledge. So Logan perhaps has an advantage in that he obviously has more training in boxing and even one fight under his belt. That he couldn't beat KSI who has equally limited experience, is considerably smaller and has a much shorter reach in said fight is one of about a few thousand things that surely go against him in this fight. Apparently bookies are making Logan the favourite though soooo uh, whatever. We'll see if any of this even actually happens in any case, although it seems a bit more serious than any of Logan's other ridiculous flexes.

Logan Paul could train sparring non-stop for a year and AB could do nothing until he put gloves on for the first time at the bout and still destroy Paul in the first minute.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

Like a cargo cult Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra - you recite the right lines at a party and people politely laugh.

cline, his references literal

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Drawing a line from MST3K to Cinema Sins doesn't make much sense to me. If anything I'd say it more stems from Kevin Smith and/or Joss Whedon and the whole late 90s-early'00s "deconstruct everything with insider meta-jokes" media trends.

Laterite fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jan 20, 2020

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

even rcr are problematic at times.

what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

love to revolve my entire online identity around endlessly caping for incredibly banal filmmakers

excuse me, i don't cape ... i simp.