Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I've been quite fond of this video essay from Breaking Banter about the No Man's Land scene in WW. I have some minor quibbly nitpicks about their interpretation of Diana's "primary internal struggle," but overall I find it a really good examination of why exactly that sequence works so well that I haven't quite seen from other reviewers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

They're almost certainly not the best at...well, at anything they do really :v:, but the podcast I've found most consistently entertaining is The Weekly Planet podcast, which I originally found through comicbookmovies.com. I honestly disagree with them on a whole bunch of stuff and find that they're actually not all that well read on many of the topics they cover...but honestly, they make no secret of that fact and they riff off of each other really well and it's a comedy podcast so hey. Being entertaining trumps being erudite in my book.

...But still, on the matter of being more erudite, I've been enjoying Wisecrack and Just Write's video essays a lot.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

If a story were to subvert the idea of set-up and pay off, for example, by expositing that the main characters are waiting for another character who then never arrives, would that story then be bad?
Well, that instance would still be a set-up and a pay-off, just in a different direction. The quality of which would be determined by whether this subversion was as narrative satisfying or coherent as if the story were played straight.

That's the thing we have to ask, here: what do we get in exchange for this character never arriving? What are we actually gaining by the subversion? Is it simply the inherent value of being subversive? Or is there a flat-out more rewarding story to be told in this subversion?

Like, is it possible to have a satisfying narrative experience that forgoes set-up and payoff entirely and relies solely on moment-to-moment engagement? I suppose, in theory it can be done and has been done. But the fact is that if we're gonna throw out proven storytelling tools like the entire concept of setting up elements and then paying off those elements, then we better be replacing those tools with something of equal or greater value. Creators who are able to successfully break these "rules" of storytelling tend to be the ones who actually understand those rules inside and out and know how to break those rules...as opposed to, y'know, people who just don't grasp storytelling all that well and end up not telling a good story.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Apr 25, 2018

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I like Rogue One a grand deal more than TLJ to be honest

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I hate that they don't draw nipples on men in that manga. Really takes me out of the story.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah, this pretty much succinctly sums up the issue at hand. Anyone who knows anything about filmmaking would understand how much far-flung work it would take to turn filmed footage into a finished film and why it's basically impossible at this point for this film (though not literally impossible 'cuz. Y'know. Anything could still happen).

The problem though is that Snyder himself doesn't really know how to make movies so of course he's been telling everyone "It's totally done! It's ready to go!" and he'll keep on telling people that, in spite of all actual evidence to the contrary, and the fanatics will just gobble it up.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

McCloud posted:

:psyduck:

Yes, I am sure internet armchair experts knows more about making movies than actual movie director/producers.
So what specifically is the video wrong about? It presents a thorough summary of the facts that we know, detailed information about the editing process, and direct comparisons with other effects-heavy blockbusters. What, specifically, do you take issue with in its findings?

Snyder tweets out a bunch of bts shots, previs art, literal storyboards, and then claims that his own cut of the film "exists." Sorry, but that tells me nothing. In fact the more he talks about it, the less knowledgeable he seems. At best it seems like he's trying to pressure WB into allowing him the time and money and workcrew and permission to finish his cut somehow, and at worst it feels like he's stringing along people who don't know any better for the sake of his own ego.

The only argument I've heard in favor of the cut being finished and eventually released is that Justice League's production was somehow super different and unique and special so that it's somehow exempt from the, like, normal expectations of film production somehow. 'Cuz Snyder is obviously so singular and extraordinary that the mundane mortal rules that everyone else follows just don't apply to him or something.

And I mean...yes. sure, technically the JL production was pretty different from other productions. But y'all understand that film productions being troubled makes watchable cuts less likely and not moreso, right?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Dec 16, 2019

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

It is literally impossible that the movie is done. If Snyder is telling you that his version of the Justice League is done then he is baldly lying through his teeth and that's not actually up for debate in the way that you seem to think it is, sorry.

Snyder left JL production five months before the movie was actually released. No blockbuster film is finished and watchable five months in advance. Who exactly do you think finished compositing the shots for Snyder's cut? Who finished texturing Cyborg's scenes in his version? Who did the color-grading for Flash's speed effects? Who finished all foley work and balanced the volume? You're telling me Snyder sat in front of his Macbook one day and did all the audio and visual FX for the film all by his lonesome? Bull-literal-poo poo and I genuinely worry about your intelligence if you believe that. Hundreds of artists work months after months to polish a film in the amount of time they have before release.

This is exactly what we mean when we say you have no idea how films are actually made. A film is not finished five months in advance and a director cannot finish it on his own. I don't know how to put it into smaller words than that and I think the internet at large is getting a bit tired of the fanatics who refuse to believe it. But no, of course it's everyone else who's ignoring the plain facts, you're totally the only ones who can see the obvious truth behind the lies, ha.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that surprised me about Frozen 2 was how after whole years of build up and hype it released and then just kind of... disappeared from public consciousness. Like, what happened? (I don't actually want to know, I'm just mildly stunned by it.)
Not when you've got a six year-old and a two year-old at your house :sweatdrop:

(I don't, my brother does)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

My prediction is that if you like TLJ you'll hate ROS because JJ is going to contritely undo everything TLJ did as a "we're sorry" to the angry fans who hated it.
Can I say "good" to that or nah

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

Not sure how that follows from what I said.
I just don't know the temperature of the room yet. Maybe everyone here loved TLJ. v:shobon:v

I mean I didn't hate it but boy does it not deserve the defense

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I used to think THE LOST WORLD was great, and I think the setpieces hold up but then I watched it again about a year ago and it's full of this poo poo:

Every bad thing that happens is because of the environmentalists, but I don't know that the movie is aware of it.
Am I just remembering the movie really horribly? Wasn't there like, a "good" group of environmentalists who didn't want to screw with the T-rex and then a "bad" group that wanted to exploit the baby or whatever? Like the good guys -- which ended up being about four people total -- may have been some mofos but they weren't the literal reason bad stuff happened?

Am I just way off base?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

JRPGs like Final Fantasy pretty much invented the unbeatable boss battle as a story device. IV was crammed full of them, right alongside cutscenes where you just get overpowered and lose to the bad guys because you just do, okay.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Am I nuts or does this kind of "why is this character attractive?" analysis only ever happen with male characters? I don't remember ever seeing anything like this Draco and Snape stuff about any female characters.

e: not just in terms of Harry Potter which I don't know much about, just fictional characters in general
There's certainly some degree of misogyny at play here which people have described pretty well on the previous page. But as someone who's followed these sorts of fandoms pretty closely, I think there's a bit more to it than straight-up misogyny and have no problems saying that this specific trend of women fixating on certain dark horse bad boy characters has led to some pretty dang pernicious or skeevy mindsets, so it's no wonder that they're usually subjects of mockery in these thinkpieces or video essays. If anything, I don't think they're mocked enough.

I don't think anyone would give a hoot if it were simply a matter of finding unconventional characters attractive. The issue is that it's not enough for certain fans to find certain characters attractive, but that Snape or Draco or Loki must also be martyred. They must be made noble, redeemed. They can't simply be hot, they also must be reinterpreted as the actual heroes of the stories, or even better than the actual actual heroes that they've often oppressed.

And male fandom just...well, it just objectively doesn't tend to do this. They might find a lot of "evil" female characters hot, but there's no notable history of them reinventing the script just so that they can imagine Morrigan or Cersei or Yennefer or whoever as heroic enough to fap to without shame. As much as male nerds might bitch and moan about the stuff that happens in their stories, male fandom tends to be pretty canon-complaint and you'll hardly ever hear them use terms like "headcanon" or "fanon."

In contrast, female fandoms tend to be transformative and interpretative about their media and make no secret about this fact. There's several reasons for this, but the basic gist is that when you're used to getting what you want from your media, there's no need to have to rewrite the story to yourself so that you'll like it more. Sometimes this leads to really interesting, unique, or just outright fun interpretations of media. Other times though, this means sugarcoating or just outright ignoring all the faults of a brooding male villain while exaggerating his virtues or just outright making them up.

And hell, even that itself might be fine -- it's all fiction, it's all fake, who cares, do what you want! -- except that it also has to be said that all this adulation is almost always focused on the whitest and straightest male characters, and often done at the expense of characters of color, or others who were canonically persecuted -- a lot -- by these white male characters. As the Snapewives article mentions, this is the part where Lily and Hermione actually deserved to be called the N-word, you see. This is the part where actually Finn from Star Wars is actually homophobic for hating Kylo Ren because Kylo is actually coded as queer and femme, actually. It ain't just men who sent John Boyega all those hateful messages.

So I'm iffy with this image of...hell, I don't even know what to call this. Women who love fictional creeps? Incel-loving women? Whatever they are, I take issue with them being categorized as harmless innocent fangirls being ostracized by the big bad patriarchy. Male or female, nerd toxicity knows no gender boundaries, though it might manifest in different ways.

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Oct 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

The thing is also that...it should be fine. Right? It's all make-believe. It's all fiction. Who cares if you want to imagine a redeemed Loki riding off into the sunset with his true love who's probably you? Whatever makes this cathartic for you, great. We're all here to have fun.

Where I start to side-eye and nope out, though, is when the double-standards start to come in. When people vilify other characters in the story for flaws that they would readily excuse their beloved bad boys for. When they bend over backwards to justify Paleguy McDarkhairandclothes killing a bajillion people but blame other characters for, like, making him act that way or something. And, again, there is a disturbing trend of a certain type of straight white guy being cast as this tragic romantic figure, while less white characters get the short end of the fandom stick. It's the dirty little secret, the elephant in the room, that has permeated and still permeates almost every major fandom, especially those who mostly engage with the media in transformative and re-interpretative ways.