Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Elf" or "dwarf" or "orc" as sui generis is loving bullshit.

Wow you can’t say that about people’s beloved fantasy archetypes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let people enjoy rigid racial archetypes within a quasi-cannon of escapist fantasy tropes. It means a lot to people.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well TBF the gawker union was a paper tiger who’s principal organizers all just quit the first time management hosed with them

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Varinn posted:

it turns the slow dismantling of the power of unions from the federal government means that theyre still vulnerable to certain levels of being steamrolled, which causes people to think that unions aren't worth forming, which lowers resistance to dismantling union powers, which

This is doubly a problem for white collar unions like this where many people have the generational wealth to just hop jobs to another make-work blog website. Only unions hanging on are the ones where the people really really want to fight for their job.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Augus posted:

it's just the usual fake virtual friend crap.
man makes funny videos on the internet, shares videos of him playing video games with his wife, he is now my friend and I know him intimately and must defend him at all costs.
like the reaction to anyone saying "this video he made was pretty bad" is so drat visceral

also his theory of criticism kinda just instantly turns to ash when you attempt to apply it to the practical reality of being an individual writer employed by a major site like Kotaku or IGN. You must have your own distinct voice and tastes that people will be able to recognize when they read your reviews and know by what standard you are reviewing a game, but also all reviewers from a single publication must be treated as a nebulous hivemind with universal, consistent standards. But also you can just give games the "wrong" score. it's incoherent and self-contradictory and only really functions as glorified self-promotion and preaching to the choir in practice. Individual writers at big publications *do* have their own personal tastes that you can identify by keeping up with their reviews, you just haven't bothered and you never will bother because they aren't their own brand, they are "IGN Reviews" and "Kotaku Reviews". Or maybe you do pay attention because they gave a "wrong" review and you want to harass them for it.

I think it’s essentially impossible to prevent this behavior in emergent fandoms, short of having one of those mythical “national conversations” people talk about. It’s even thornier in these situations where the subject of the fandom is also presenting themselves as having a unique critical take on The object of ANOTHER fandom and partisans form up immediately because they know what team they are on.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Captain Invictus posted:

semi-related to super 8, wasn't there a movie that was basically live action american akira that came out around the same time? I CANNOT for the life of me remember the name of it. I remember seeing it in theaters and really enjoying it but that's about it, it's like the memory of it itself is made of oil, like trying to grab it and focus on it makes it zip out of my hands/memory comically

pretty sure it had the tetsuo-alike throwing buses and poo poo with mind powers during the finale

That’s the max landis superhero movie

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sucks there’s no leverage to even organize.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That’s the fun kind of unexpected SA Lore plot twist

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Somebody should email jenny a recap of the progression of the fyad trans thread leading up to the closing of fyad with a lil appendix section of all the yospos/gbs posters banned for death threats against her sister. So she can have proper context on skylarks decade+ of antagonizing people on SA.

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The manga is way better IMO because his insane drawings can’t really be replicated in animation.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also the manga is paced a lot better and the tension ramps up and explodes before giving you another nice breaking point to wait 10 years for the next arc.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The pre-bimboification ladies are my favorite straw hats.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
First time I read through one piece the jail till the conclusion of the lobby battle felt completely apocalyptic, complete world ending insanity that started out with a clown and a cat man bullying some jrpg villagers.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nani starts out extremely cool but kind of turns into bulma after he decided she needed gigantic boobs

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Guys were talking about one piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
All culture is always normal imo