Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Clerical Terrors posted:

I'd love to see an Isekai subvert it's central power fantasy and just have the character fail.

So many of these Isekai feature people who are, supposedly, losers in the real world. But coming to the fantasy world they suddenly turn into action heroes. The implication seeming that their past lives were miserable because the world was keeping them down. I'd want to see an Isekai where the ultimate outcome is that the character just continues being a loser and gets confronted with the fact that coming to another world did nothing to change that, and that the only way for them to actually improve their lives is to work on themselves.

This is basically Eva with the exception that Shinji isn't technically taken away to another world, though I suppose he is pulled into the world of his bad dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

has jim sterling been able to make the connection from "AAA game companies are relentlessly lovely in all aspects" to "capitalism is relentlessly lovely" yet?

I wish Sterling would get rid of his gimmick. I've only seen a couple of his videos but I like the points he makes and the fact that he's criticizing the games industry in a way that is sadly pretty uncommon but I absolutly can't stand his presentation. I just don't think it's funny and it detracts from what he's trying to do.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just wonder if he means "it will be extremely painful for you" (meaning I will rip you in half if you try to take off my mask) or "i am a big guy for someone like you" and my brain never figured which one he meant.

It's the first one, Gillen just delivers the "you're a big guy" line less like a response to Bane's previous answer and more like a stray observation that Bane is ripped.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Fabricated posted:

jokes on all of those food youtubers, i eat out of the trashcan

Then film criticism YouTube is for you!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I hope for a speedy recovery for the review boy. I only watch his videos every once in awhile but it makes me happy every time I remember he's out there doing his thing.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Spark That Bled posted:

One last thing: going through Scorsese's filmography on Wikipedia, it seems there's only two films where a woman could be the central character, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore and Boxcar Bertha. And maybe just one, Kundun, has a non-white main character.

I don't know if this was supposed to be an own on Martin Scorsese (who actually has a varied body of work that goes well beyond the 'gangster' movie stereotype that gets thrown around about him) but you realize that by this metric he's actually about tied with the MCU for diverse leads? Actually two movies starring women as the central characters would put him a little ahead.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I regret participating in this argument for even a single post.

Here's something better. A little while back someone in this thread posted Kruggsmash's short forts series where he plays through Dwarf Fortress setting up gimmicky forts. He spices up the presentation a bit with some fun illustrations throughout the videos.

I've been watching a few of them and they're oddly relaxing and generally pleasant. I've been enjoying his latest Skullhorror series, which starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG3e3wYCQU4

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Please, please I am begging you, please stop. This is unbelievably tedious.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Sarcopenia posted:

It's been years since I read the comic so I might be missing something but I'm super surprised that people are being even the tiniest bit nice to what I remember as Watchmen with alzheimers making GBS threads itself while puking and giving a surprise sex blowjob.

It deals with some really good criticism of corporations and the military industrial complex. It's just that it's layered under a ton of Ennis's "humor" at it's most juvenile and edgy. I think there's still good stuff in there but it's not something I would recommend to anyone without having a really good idea of their tastes and how much of that kind of stuff they can tolerate.

So far the show has stuck with a lot of the same themes that I think ultimately make the comic intersting while cutting out some of the most excessive stuff. I like it.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

ninja not knowing how to cut bread is a real , but absolutely nothing will top xqc being utterly baffled by condensation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvMUWjhauXQ

Just settling in for a relaxing night of drinking coke, learning fun science facts, and listening to the O Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack on YouTube.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

grittyreboot posted:

I'll see people leave their car running and unlocked while they run into the store and it always mystifies me.

I know someone who did this once and a lady stole her car while she was in the store, drove to a Hobby Lobby, robbed it, and ran over someone in the parking lot.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Never before has the phrase "click to play or download the MP3" been so threatening.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Didn't see this posted earlier, but Sage looks at Miami Guns and talks about the anime industry of the early 2000s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNABwHgkLuQ

I legitimately appreciate that he used the right aspect ratio at the end there.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

watho posted:

stop trying to own the guy who nobody cares about or respects

You're right, we should stop talking about moviebob.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Mr Phillby posted:

Why is it never "actually I liked MOS I thought it was good" and instead we get a bunch of pseudo intellectual wank about how this deeply dumb movie is actually a secret masterpiece.

Sorry I did not enjoy the movie where Supermans two suicidal dads argue over whether its more important to save lives or live a normal life on a farm, now hold my beer while I wade into this inexplicable tornado I HAVE TO SAVE MY DOG

Agreed. People should only post a simple "I liked it" or "It was bad." Through this we can achieve peak posting efficiency and this forum can finally get Six Sigma certification.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

McCloud posted:

And as a sidenote, what the hell is up with the world security council? What a dumb rear end idea was that anyway? Like what purpose do they even serve in the narrative that regular heads of state couldn't? What exactly is their jurisdiction? Why do they outrank POTUS? Who elects them? What is their authority? And why did they only appear in one movie? It's just such a baffling decision to have a shadowy illuminati-esque group order a nuclear strike, why not have it be the actual POTUS? Jesus Whedon, get it together.

Hey now, if you'd watched Marvel's Agent of Shield you'd know that the councilman played by Powers Boothe was given a very rich and detailed backstory. It turns out he's evil because he's bad.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

"Scully when I finally find the aliens I'm going to shoot them. I'm going to shoot them with my gun Scully."

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

I don’t think this pronunciation nonsense makes any drat sense because anyone actually following professional chuds will lose that inhibition real quick, but learning what the “polite” versions of bigoted rear end beliefs sound like can help you spot that quiet midwestern racist.

Sure but why are people using this thread to do that? There is constant hand-wringing in here about this stuff and it leads to nothing useful or informative, just page long arguments about whether a guy who made a resetera joke is a secret ultra-fascist or if hbomb should be allowed to make money or if the "toMAYto toMAHto" song is useful for identifying Nazi war criminals.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

CmdrKing posted:

1. Many prefer not to support assholes and fascists and so the question of whether people are or not is a natural one for the topic.

2. Uh this thread started life to chronicle the meltdown of channel awesome and figure out who was still worth watching that escaped the smoldering wreckage. This sorta rubber-necking is extremely on-brand.

3. It’s the start of the month, most of the big names put out videos last week.

I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. I just think that trying to suss out who is hiding the fact that they are a secret conservative is something that this thread isn't well equipped to do. I don't have a problem with talking about people who have actually said or done some bad stuff.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

This looks like a fake anime they'd show in a Law & Order SVU episode about an anime obsessed murderer.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you know that since my earlier post about Law & Order SVU and anime I have been imagining Ice-T saying Neon Genesis Evangelion and it has made my day better.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

So I've been trying to get into Poparena's Legend of The Galactic Heroes review, and I'm kinda confused. Where's the episode two review? I've searched and I can't find it. Not to mention, I don't know when the movies fit, and there's no playlist so I don't know where to watch those. Please help.

I just started watching Legend of The Galactic Heroes last week so I was looking at this recently:

The first movie (My Conquest is a Sea of Stars) is apparently the pilot and takes place right before the start of the series.

Overture to a New War is a revised version of the first two episodes (and one scene from the third) that can be watched before going into the full series at episode three.

I'm not sure on poparena's second episode review, but my guess is he did the review on Overture in it's place.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I don't see why it's a big deal to talk about the subject of a video posted in this thread. People have multi-page details about anime or video games that have nothing to do with what this thread is supposed to be about, at least this is about a video from an internet personality.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Baba booey forever.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Armchair Auteur posted a video about the importance of non-depressing black films:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWcIW23UJeI

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

I always check out this dudes stuff. I don't want him wallowing in the low hundreds views the way Cinema Nippon did.

Yeah I've followed the guy on Twitter for a long time before the videos and he's always been posting good stuff. I hope his channel takes off.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I'd recommend adding The Armchair Auteur (Dom Griffin). Interesting and chill movie reviews/general movie discussion. His video thumbnails are also usually pretty funny.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Jamie Faith posted:

Oh poo poo that was fast lol here it is! I've already watched it, its great!

https://youtu.be/vLQx3eelh2o

I can never brace myself enough for that Thomas Jefferson drawing.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly I wonder if that's not what at least part of split Matt off, who really seems to enjoy putting in the work with stuff like Wha' Happun.

I had no idea who Matt was before I started watching Wha' Happun so he's at least gotten one new viewer from going out on his own.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I mean he definitely wants to exterminate all the brutes, so yes.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i mean waypoint has always been a mixed bag. didnt they miss the point of the last of us 2 by a mile and try to make it about some pro zionist thing and also try to get offended on the behalf of japan over Ghost of Tsushima even though most Japanese critics loved it.

Yeah, I appreciate the intent behind Waypoint but it ended up being a bunch of hot takes and erotic fanfiction.

There was an article I saw a couple of years ago that I can't seem to find again that was an exploration of the intersection of Bloodborne's themes and it's Victorian setting that was really interesting. That's the kind of thing I'd want from a site like Waypoint and not meandering and shallow political analysis of MLB The Show.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Beefstew posted:

Hidetaka Miyazaki and Shinobu Ohtaka both have obvious foot fetishes.

I don't remember a lot of foot stuff in Dark Souls. Did dataminers find that the character was originally called Feetseeker Frampt or something?

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

It's pretty funny that The Defenders miniseries proceeded to focus the most on the two least popular parts of the Netflix Marvel shows: The Hand and Iron Fist. They definitely thought that everyone was going to love that stuff.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Senator Armstrong is pretty specifically Dick Cheney, artificial heart and all.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

TheDishonoredWolf

I love how stupid and self-serious racist YouTube guys' names are.

If these guys were doing this in the early 2000's they would all be calling themselves stuff like KiLLrAlucaRdXXX, Cannibal_Teletubby, or CasperThePsychoGhost.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

StratGoatCom posted:

You weren't joking, lol. Pisspig Dr. Doom here needs to be someone's AV as soon as the purchase goes down.

Good lord.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Rob Liefeld and Todd McFarland are the premier western superhero comic mangaka. I take no pleasure in reporting this.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

JFK moved left, but then Johnson took over right after.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

Alaois posted:

imagine being in the bathroom at a bar and ernest cline is right next to you and just finished doing rails off the tank cover in the handicap stall

We came here to motherfuckin' do 80's trivia night, and we can loving do it, alright?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

I like Brotherhood more overall and definitely prefer the ending but I think both it and 03 suffer from weak final villains. In 03 the villain isn't really introduced until close to the end so there isn't much investment in them and with Brotherhood I thought Father was a bit too much of a JRPG end boss by the end. Not offensively bad or anything, just something I've seen a bunch of times by now.

Bradley would have been a better main antagonist in Brotherhood. There's a bigger focus on imperialism and Roy and CO's focus on dismantling the government in this version of the show and Bradley is the embodiment of all of that. Put him and his ideology in more direct conflict with Ed and I think it would be a much stronger final fight if he's the one they are all banding together to overcome.