Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
https://protard.bandcamp.com/track/hoo-let-the-owls-out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that stupid bastard exists as a whipping boy for gamergate and nothing else

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

We get it Dapper_Swindler you have a strange hate boner for jonathon mcintosh

the gamergate thread in gbs became verboten so he had to take his spam elsewhere

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

a cartoon duck posted:

It's nuts how much that video made me nostalgic for the internet of days past. A lot of it is probably just rose-tinted childhood memories but the little micro-communities the video talked about just felt more cozy and personal than today's social media hellscape where nobody knows anyone but yells at everyone.

one of my first online communities was the comments section of a yugioh card quiz website

any port in a storm, i guess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

The "why are they waiting?!" and its sibling "How come enemies don't attack the magical girl while she's transforming?" always bugged me because it's like, do you wonder why characters don't get wise to someone sneaking because the soundtrack changed? How do you not grasp that elements are sometimes there for the audience's sake, and not literal representations of reality?

in the latest dragon ball series one character just throws a rock at someone when they're going through a transformation sequence and all his friends yell at him for being a poor sport

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

What a massive letdown FF15 was. A combination JRPG and open world game should have been the realization of all of my video-game-related dreams, but I couldn’t have been more disappointed in how it turned out. Great artwork and voice acting but literally everything else about it was cobbled together in such an amateurish way that I would never have guessed it came from an established, professional studio.

One thing I’m surprised he didn’t mention was how awkwardly shoehorned-in the time-travel mechanic was. Like the developers knew people would want to go back to the open world once the plot railroad got started, but they didn’t want to actually rewrite the story to accommodate that so they just said “gently caress it; the dog can send you back in time”. Honestly, it feels more like a debug command to teleport to a different map than something that actually exists within the game world.

Edit: Fixed the link.

FF15 is the way it is because its original project lead spent six years sitting on his hands until SE, in a practically unprecedented move for a Japanese company, actually punished a senior staff member and took him off the project, prompting Tabata and co. to pull out all the stops and hash together something halfway-presentable in the remaining two years

any criticism of that game that doesn't put its ridiculously tortured development front and center is fundamentally dishonest.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sephyr posted:

Square Enix seems to be an eternal war between the Nomura clan of designers who make glitz movie-length cutscenes of j-pop celebrities at the expense of actual gem, and the mega-concept devs who want to bring about the next gaming revolution of fully detailed, interactive realities that tkae 15 years to realize and always crash waay before coming to fruition. Whoever wins, we lose.

Noumra is both of those people. Pretty much all interviews with him paint the picture of an archetypical “idea guy” who resents the idea of ever having to do any actual work.

He keeps getting new projects because he’s senior, but everything he touches suffers for it because he’s so capricious and vague over what he actually wants.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

A big element of Nomura’s tenure running 15 was that he just never figured out what he really wanted 15 to be, even 8 years into its development cycle. He drifted from one incongruous idea to the next, uprooting already established work on a whim because he had no real editorial control over him to tell him no until the brass stepped in and fired him.

I think the thing that really sunk him was an interview he gave where he said he watched the Les Miserables movie and became bound and determined to turn FF15 into a massive blockbuster musical game because it inspired him. It wasn’t long after that that he was pulled from control and replaced with Tabata. The fact that Tabata even managed to ship something half-way presentable is astounding, because he’s not exactly a master producer himself if that slapdash tone-deaf clown show Final Fantasy Type-0 is anything to go on.

What I heard of Tabata's development suggests that he mitigated his own problems because he didn't give a poo poo about the auteur model SE loves so much - instead he hired a big team outside of the company's usual talent pool and held constant scrum meetings to keep fine-tuning the game's direction and seeing where and how they could get a workable product out of the napkin doodles Nomura left behind. Nomura meanwhile gives every appearance of detesting the people who work under him, because they dilute his "vision."

I read one recent-ish interview involving him and Yoko Shimomura where he kept half-joking on her not turning her compositions in on time and Shimomura half-jokingly replying "that's because you never told me what you wanted, rear end in a top hat." In a polite way, of course.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dork457 posted:

GameGrumps put up 3 episodes of Commodore 64 games where they never bothered to properly configure the emulator so they get by with next to zero gameplay across all episodes. C64 games are esoteric by today's standards but it seemed beyond a reasonable doubt that the problems were on their end so the "Why is the game not working! I'm losing my mind!" schtick was real irritating.

It's a shame because the intention was for Dan to be able to show some nostalgic games from his childhood which are rare and usually chill.

the title might be game grumps but arin is such a dense anhedonic skinflap that he'd be better suited on the giant bomb crew than anything

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

OmanyteJackson posted:

Do you not know what privilege is? Let me help you out. Where sugar went to school is only a hour away from the place where the wire was shot, imagine being a queer Jewish woman there. Would it be easier or harder? Is having access to better resources more helpful to marginal people or less so?

Intersectional feminism includes class, dude. Read a book.

totter off back to suck zone where you won't get laughed out of the room, loser

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Honestly the reason I like RDR over GTA is the writing can be funny and smart but not overwhelming and in your face constantly like GTA

rockstar can't write anything except spiteful nihilism, which fits a lot better in a wild west setting than a pastiche of modern american society as envisioned by a couple of dumbfuck londoners

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BOOSness Hammocks posted:

That seems shockingly tragic. Who was out there running a vendetta on the opossum account?

there can be only one

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if you want an Icepick game that doesn't waste too much of your time then just get Knock Knock

it's very unnerving even if it's got the weirdest "difficulty curve" i've ever seen

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yahtzee and the NC are also alike in that they use the material they "review" as a basis for one-liners and little else, they very seldom have anything interesting or insightful to say

a man cannot live by overwrought analogies alone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
"the longest year that's ever been a year long" is pretty apt

on one hand the world will end in ~20 years, but on the other hand every year now feels like 20

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Ain’t no one fucks with the mouse

"Huh-ha! Death is only the beginning!"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's an old joke but i still got a kick out of sterling's almost-tearful despair at the games' ridiculous subtitles

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Arist posted:

I thought it was really bad.

I'm also not surprised he doesn't like KH3, because his entire persona seems diametrically opposed to that kind of sincerity.

kingdom hearts is a series matchmade between one of the most blunderingly cutthroat game developers in the industry and a global mega-corporation, helmed by a man who constantly gives the impression that he'd rather be doing anything other than what he happens to be working on right at that moment

it's impressively cynical under its cgi candy coating

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

A lot of Japanese writing ends up falling REALLY flat for Western ears without a good localization job, because as a language (like most non-English languages, really) it relies on a lot fewer words to convey meaning, so people saying the same few nouns over and over doesn't sound as bizarre. (It also puts a lot of the heavy lifting, nuance-wise, onto particular details of pronunciation and context that can be a nightmare to translate.)

So that particular aspect of the writing is on the localization team.

in particular, it probably falls on voice director Bob Buchholtz, who's handled every Kingdom Hearts after the first game and whose itinerary is like a graveyard of wasted talent

virtually every SE property where everyone speaks in that robotic, stilted monotone has him at the helm, including Advent Children and the transcendentally bad Type-0 localization

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 10, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I do remember they made a big deal out of some of the stunt-casting for the game at the time, and then not only did they hire people who hadn't really done voice acting before they also turned into the most lifeless performances ever. Even Resident Evil's original performance had more umph to it. Barry's actor made not have known how to convey it, but he did on some level hope that it was not Chris' blood. David Boreanaz, though, that dude just read whatever and they yelled cut. The only good performance I can recall was Bill Farmer as Goofy, but then he's been Goofy for a few decades now.

boreanaz voiced squall so that was just him being true to character

KH1 (which, again, was the only one that didn't have buchholtz strangling it to death) had decent voice work overall, especially from billy zane as mentioned above

everyone was a lot more willing to lean into the silliness

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am more surprised that they couldn't get patton oswalt or danny daVito for an hour for couple lines.

remy's just mute to anyone who's not another rat (mickey's a mouse, he doesn't count) and devito was available, it's just that SE axed phil's speaking role because his japanese VA died

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i knew about him being a creeper but things like "my mother is the capital-M Matriarch of a cult dedicated to the anime character i play" was a new wrinkle to my contemplation of the breadth of human sin

little dork wasn't even that good of an actor

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

TNC also had a weird obsession with nuclear weapons, you set off a handful and get to trek through nuked New York along with some "maybe they deserved it?" Lightly dusted about.

There's been a bizarre lust towards nuclear weapons as being cool things or rad setpieces lately instead of horrifying death bombs in video games lately and I don't know why.

no one wants to exist

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

hopefully the fbi actually gets involved because entirely gently caress this poo poo

google's rich, no consequences

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
deciphering that one letter of mrs. truant's by hand was probably more trouble than it was worth but still a memorable :stare: moment when the full message took shape

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is there any way to still get it?

not legally

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

rujasu posted:

Back in the day, a lot of my experience with popular music was playing Madden 2003 and hearing the soundtrack. So I was mildly surprised to realize that "Get Over It" was not an actual hit song.

They're a solid band, I think Todd sells them a little bit short.

i know nothing about them outside their (numerous) singles but End Love is quite nice

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Jim's been pretty quiet lately after his epic puff piece video and it coming out that epic's game store is literal spyware so i'm very wary of him now

I'm pretty sure he was paid for that vid

according to his latest video he's had bronchitis, which probably knocked him over for a bit

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
epic is basically taking advantage of steam's legendary indolence and their own newfound wealth to carve out a niche for a new and even more predatory storefront, while every silver-spoon putz on the planet is trying to launch their own "streaming" service that'll allow for total capture of other people's software

everything becomes more terrible, as is usual

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

an isekai about a guy reincarnating into a fantasy world but he still ends up with a desk job there

hell i'd rather work a desk job where i'm at daily risk of being incinerated by dragons and/or malevolent wizards than one where the earth and the oceans die faster every day

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kuchera was an idiot videogamesman long before “idiot videogamesman” became a thriving cottage industry

you could think of him as a trailblazer, in a way

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
bioshock infinite: the white nationalists are bad guys but still fractured and varied, with moments of downtime and even a few individuals in their ranks trying to help the protagonists. the vox are a universally hostile borderline-hiveminded faction whose leader tries to slit a kid's throat before being ejected from the story

bioshock: the true villain is a psychopathic con man masquerading as a social worker who uses soup kitchens, social services and collectivist rhetoric to undermine society, exactly as ryan's paranoid fantasies predicted

systen shock 2: the predominant threat is a hiveminded, collectivist alien entity in contrast with the individualist AI

it's difficult not to see a pattern there, bioshock infinite was just the most obvious about it because every other part of the game was such a loving mess

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
atlas/fontaine especially is a villain taken right from ayn rand's own books in the mold of ellsworth toohey from the fountainhead, someone who pretends to be a collectivist idealogue on the surface who in reality is a hollow power-monger using their rhetoric to turn other people into willing agents in opposition to the brave and noble objectivist protagonists

now if you wanted to be very generous towards levine, you could assume that he is an idiot (this part isn't difficult) who didn't realize that using rand's model of villain meant that you were writing an ayn rand story, with all the "greed is good" baggage that implies. this was before he made another game where you spend half its length being hounded by a legion of furious collectivists who got mad at you because their leader said a single sentence stating that you "complicated the narrative," however

levine's made a career of telling exactly one story, and that story is one that's ostensibly against extremism (itself a laughable position these days) but is really about him going "gently caress these guys and gently caress these guys, but especially gently caress THESE guys"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Jul 27, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bakeneko posted:

How is being against extremism a laughable position? The game frequently fails at explaining itself because it's a cobbled-together mess, but that concept at least makes perfect sense. It would have been a good message to base a decently-written game around.

centrism is an inherently authoritarian position because it justifies the status quo, and the status quo has (for much, much longer than levine's career) been one of dominance by the sort of people ayn rand deifies. because authority always seeks to attain more authority, this also means that the "centrist" position continues to move rightward as the society in which it operates becomes more authoritarian

you can see this ideological drift in levine's own work, though in his case it's probably more attributable to each major title being less abstracted than the previous one. system shock was straight sci-fi/horror where the collectivist/individualist dichotomy was set dressing at best. bioshock was a warped take on ayn rand's work that became a straight copy of ayn rand's work in the final act. and then we have bioshock infinite, which presented a gentler, sanitized version of american racism and manifest destiny, contrasted with a hooting horde of bloodthirsty communists ripped straight out of cold war propaganda posters

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i feel like this is kind of a mischaracterization, SHODAN is evil as gently caress too

like SHODAN is the primary threat for like 75% of the game and the Many are just a marginally bigger problem when they show up

ryan and the founders were also bad guys. all three games have enemies on opposite sides of the ideological spectrum, but the faction that's ultimately more prominent/grotesque/hostile falls on the leftward end every time

it's a weaker connection in ss2 (and my memories of that game are pretty fuzzy to begin with), but you can still see the germ of the pattern that became more prominent in the bioshock games. i would have considered "the many/SHODAN are stand-ins for collectivism/individualism" to just be a neat alternate reading if it wasn't for bioshock, and especially infinite, lending it further context

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zinkraptor posted:

Infinite’s story was heinously bad and I never played Burial at Sea but I keep hearing it was even worse somehow, which makes me want to play it just to find out how.

levine revisits rapture and tries to tie it into his Expanded Universe, and then fails in pretty much every possible way

i've ranted about the bioshock series before but i usually ignore BoS because a) it doesn't follow the thematic progression i laid out in my other posts (being more of a ramshackle attempt at recapturing past glories) and b) it's so bad, so so bad, so very stupid dumb, that it practically undermines my arguments because they rely on the premise that ken levine has some idea of what he's doing at any given time

i just wish i had more inside baseball on Infinite's development, because levine's auteurism was allegedly a big part of what made its dev cycle such an unholy terror - in particular i remember reading that Columbia's slums were originally designed and modeled closer to a favela, with a strong emphasis on street art and makeshift community construction, only to be arbitrarily thrown out at the last minute by levine because it was insufficiently "beautiful"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 27, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also after a lengthy first-person torture sequence, as was the style at the time

even looking past the writing, they weren't even fun to play. part 2 was a stealth mission for pete's sake

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Unfortunately, the game was half-cooked, and they pulled the plug before you could fight the rear end in a top hat god who was obviously being set up as the true final boss.

that god in question was never set up as a villain, and it's a blessing that the rest of the DLC was killed before SE took one of their few unique stories and pulped it down into yet another limp-wristed deicide

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tag yourself i'm the mouth filthy with fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AnEdgelord posted:

I can see that in Dark Souls but Bloodborne comes down hard on gods and the very concept of "enlightenment". They inciting event for the whole game is an insular religious clique pursing enlightenment regardless of what it costs them or anyone else, right up to engaging in frequent mass killings of their own population. The gods you encounter are either so detached from the normal flow of reality that they can't even notice humans or are actively malevolent. The player character can pursue enlightenment for themselves and join the ranks of the gods but doing so strips you of so much of your humanity that its effectively an elaborate form of suicide.

i really don't agree with this reading of bloodborne. the plot's central conceit isn't anti-religion but reversing the power dynamics typically seen in lovecraft stories - the inciting and antagonistic party is humanity (and not even its religious sect, the faction that really kicked everything off was byrgenwerth, an entirely secular institution) and the great ones are mostly sympathetic and often not even hostile, but have been left crippled, stranded, and mutilated by humanity's ruthless attempts to mine them for eldritch knowledge

the only great one that can be called "actively malevolent" is amygdala, and its hostility is more akin to an animal defending its territory than the sort of reality-corroding aura you'd see from azathoth et al

as for the "enlightenment" ending, the continued function and attention of the doll towards the transcended hunter suggests that, despite its new form, it's still capable of love (since the doll is not animate unless it's loved by another), meaning that the hunter-great one hasn't totally abandoned the person it used to be

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 27, 2019