Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Jenny Nicholson did a video sometime in the past few months about her favorite content creators on YouTube. I've slowly been looking through them, since I like her stuff so much, and one of the recommendations was a guy named Fredrik Knudsen who does a series called Down the Rabbit Hole. His videos are alright (I like them more for having interesting subjects than their intrinsic quality), and he had one on Noah Antwiler in March 2018 that I just watched.

I know that Spoony was problematic, and I'm not saying that sarcastically; he literally had and caused problems and said/did bad poo poo that caused his eventual failure. But drat, he had some terrific content relative to what else was out there those days. I could still watch the Phantasmagoria playthrough or listen to his Counter Monkey story about Thieves World and get a big kick out of it. I wish he'd had better meds (if that was the problem), or just been a better person (if that was the problem). What a sad, drastic plunge into obscurity and nothingness.

I wonder if other folks will implode the same way. I kind of doubt it; there's something about that time period that feels very specific, like it was the adolescence or angsty teenage years of modern online video content creation.

On a different topic, how are Brad Jones and Obscurus Lupa doing? I eventually lost track of their stuff.

I think I stopped watching Brad Jones because I only liked his midnight screenings series and... I guess I must've just burned out on them? I don't remember there being a specific video I really disliked or anything like that. I do remember that his co-reviewer roster changed and Doug Walker started appearing in the videos, which wasn't appealing.

A lot of stuff that Obscurus Lupa reviewed wasn't very interesting to me, but I should probably resubscribe to her channel if she's still doing videos. The rare times that our tastes overlapped, I always liked her content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Dawgstar posted:

Phantasmagoria II was great, too. Or, pardon, "PHANTASMAGORIA!"

"Hey Trevor, I'll get your milkshakes over there in a second, just gotta work my way through these receipts!"

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

macabresca posted:

Which video was that?

I looked it up; it was actually her Patreon-exclusive video from July. Sorry!

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

I just realized what I find offputting about Big Joel on YouTube: it sounds to me like he's doing a Jenny Nicholson impression all of the time.

I'm sure that's just how he actually talks and I'm not calling him a ~~~COPYCAT~~~ or whatever, but it annoys me enough that I can't really watch his content even though some of the video topics do sound interesting.

That said, I do love his username.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

I always wonder about the streamers, especially the female ones, who just Twitch stream basically their entire day. One got a lot of heat a while back because it came out she was married or at least people thought she was, which meant she could then not be somebody's Internet Girlfriend. And even on regular streams I've seen people get verklempt because the streamer did not pay what the person donating however much paid what they felt was proper due praise (sometimes because it came when the streamer was busy playing a game or whatever).

On the subject of female streamers, I had gotten the impression from other parts of the internet that ~~~TITTY STREAMERS~~~ had taken over Twitch. But, based on a Google news search and this list of the top 100 streamers, here were the only women on it:

#7 - pokimane
#49 - Loserfruit
#62 - Amouranth
#93 - lilypichu
#96 - AriGameplays

That fifth account doesn't even seem to exist anymore? Of the four active examples I see, the only one who looks like she plays into that stereotype is Amouranth. Like, I thought that it was probably a misogynistic narrative in the first place, but I also thought that there would be more evidence for it than this.

Speaking of that top 100 list, I was surprised I didn't recognize more of the names. I had seen Ninja, Dr. Disrespect, xQc, Bob Ross (lol), and Markiplier before from other things, and I had seen the names Tfue, Tyler1, and Faker before from news articles, but who are all of these people? My guess is that they're Fortnite/Minecraft/League of Legends people, since I know those are all huge and I'm in the dark on them. Kind of disappointed not to see more Overwatch personalities in there than loving xQc, ugh.