Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MonsieurChoc posted:

Recently, FilmBrain re-posted his crossover review of Tekken with Spoony and said he'd love to do the prequel with him.

Not gonna happen, but it's a nice sentiment.

There's a small chance. Last I heard Spoony is doing a lot better. Wish the guy the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Alaois posted:

Defunctland should probably go in the list right around Tony Goldmark, imo

If we're counting Defunctland I'd also like to add Yesterworld Entertainment who are quite good at covering amusement parks as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Larry has said he wants to leave but "might not be able to afford to" which makes me wonder if there's a contract involved

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Apparently Tamara and Malcolm tweeted near identifical refutations of the claims.

https://twitter.com/TamaraLChambers/status/984280859242106880?s=19

https://twitter.com/MalcolmtheRay/status/984285932995207169?s=19

Feels like they're quoting right from a Michaud press release. Tamara's account had one extremely close to Malcom's in wording but it was deleted.

Sad to hear assholes are apparently hounding them as well. They don't deserve it as they're locked into contracts.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

rujasu posted:

Also, I'm half-expecting the video response to feature the return of Douchey McNitpick or whatever he was called.

They are that tone deaf aren't they?

Oh funny. They only put NC up on the main site this week, likely afraid of the YouTube community's response.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 12, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Disregard

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah that really is the amazing part in all this.

If CA had outright admitted they are/were bad at running things it might have blown over. I mean they have the perfect excuse of not being experienced early on.

Instead they seem to want to double down on the awful behavior.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The first two will probably hold out to the bitter end. I've never heard of the others and they don't seem to post much outside of Larry.

Larry, also, is apparently not that tied to youtube videos anymore as he might be becoming a game show host.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

PASS THE MASH posted:

Battle Geek Plus is saying that 5 including him and Bennett are leaving.

So 2 more if Gaming Wildlife is one of them.

I really hope one's Brad, though I sadly doubt it.

I'm just not sure what else to say. This is a complete dumpster fire and the worst part is that I don't see the Walkers or Michaud learning anything from it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And more delisted from the site.

It's down to:
Blockbuster Buster
Brad Jones
Guru Larry

(Gaming Wildlife are still listed)

e;fb

Brad's going down with the Titanic, isn't he?

EDIT: \/ already there.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Battlegeek said on their discord that they know one of the three remaining folks is also leaving, but they want to leave the announcement to that person.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Signs are actually pointing to Brad as apparently Erod lives under a rock and said he wasn't aware of the accusations a few days ago...

And he just posted a video about the 10th anniversary being cancelled this morning so you'd think he'd quit then.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Kim Justice posted:

There's nothing better for sticking to the bitter end than sheer British bloody mindedness and the desire for maximum schadenfreude.

Like jeez, CA managed to piss off the one guy who literally gets on with everybody

Man that is so true. Larry, ashens and James Rolfe are like the three reviewers I know who are pretty spotless (outside of the bullshit stirred up around Rolfe's Ghostbusters 2016 thing.)

EDIT: also Holly is apparently looking for lawyers in the Illinois area on twitter.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

At some point CA is just going to fold because of all this, right? Like, screw the morality and ethical terribleness for a minute, a site like this simply can't support itself with like 4 (or whatever) contributors, right?

right?

Doug still brings in a ton of views on his own, but I wouldn't be surprised if they rebranded back to TGWTG or moved completely to the youtube channel.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/984621004491194370

Larry is claiming it's down to him and Brad. There's no confirmation either way.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Flubby posted:

Brad just got done livestreaming his review of Rampage and is probably unaware of how bad this has gotten. He's probably going to wake up to this tommorrow.

Or he's just doing what he said he would earlier and "staying out of the drama."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Or they lose enough advertisers but I don't see that happening.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Apparently Brad might be locked in due to the stupid game show contract. He's removed CA from his own site and is obviously trying to distance himself as much as possible.

EDIT: apparently he does still have a link to the old TGTWG domain on his site, but he has removed all association with them on youtube and twitter.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 13, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

FactsAreUseless sucks and this sucks too.

#freelornekates

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also so conveniently the new NC video hits youtube minutes after the non-apology stream starts.

Obvious attempt at distracting the fanbase from the truth. They are so amazingly bad at this.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Also, in regards to my comments about Count Jackula: apparently he's calmed down a lot since the GG nonsense and a lot of his issues with a few other CA folks were miscommunication. He misread a lot of signals from fellow producers at the time. I'm more of the opinion now he said some stupid things on a few streams out of frustration and his firing from CA was stepping on Michaud or the Walkers' toes at some point rather than him being a jackass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO-8e68T0ko

He did a response video to the whole CA thing and it feels like a pretty level headed insight into his experiences behind the scenes. He does try and blame "SJW" politics at one point and people seeing him as "alt right" though. I think he's 100% correct that there was a lot of clique politics at CA as that's pretty much inevitable. It just gradually moved to the point only Doug's clique mattered.

EDIT: /\ that is glorious. I want Larry to use that as his twitter icon for a while.

EDIT2: the Iron Liz stuff from Nick's stream. This is too hard to listen to...

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

What about Iron Liz now? Last I saw anything of them it looked like they'd turned into one of the cheetoman's cultists and were defending the pathetic "Remove transpeople from the military" poo poo.

Nick interviewed her. After her relationship with Linkara broke up, she was trying to join the army (but couldn't due to the ban) and instead trained to be a police officer. Because she was almost through police training, she was crisis certified and consoled one of Justin's victims (not the one mentioned in the docs) on the set of Suburban Knights. There's more but I'll let folks listen to the stream for it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
And the CA forums were finally killed.

Apparently the one admin for them quit a few days ago.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

Looks like the CA forums quit the website.

EDIT: drat, beaten.

They also closed the store section. Feels like a phased shutdown.

EDIT: Blogs section seems to be outright deleted but I suspect it was running on the same backend as the forums.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jenny posted:

It is of course possible our paths crossed in a stream or something but I legitimately do not recall such things ever happening. Also, "cliques." Yeah, it's called having friends.

Well, he was only with CA for a month or two (edit: corrected on that. He just flew under the radar.) so I'm not surprised and you definitely re-contextualised the entire video by saying you don't even remember him. It definitely sounds more like he's playing victim of your "leftist" politics now and has a lot of bitterness over being booted from the site still even if he tries to act chill. I'm guessing the whole controversy opened up old wounds for him (he hasn't done anything but vlogs for a long time now) because he's been on Nash's show and seemed pretty okay there.

I retract my statement as I definitely take your word over his.

EDIT: \/ I am so sad the Ender's Game video didn't put the SJW accusations to bed. I mean that was the perfect refutation of that nonsense.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

He was on CA for like a couple of years, I think? He didn't leave because of political stuff, I recall someone close to him went to the CA forums to confirm that he'd left due to feeling like CA and him weren't really working out or something, nothing political. Of course I wouldn't rule out the possibility that it's bullshit and he really did leave due to politics.

He's just a hard person to read in general I think. It's always been an issue I've had with his non-edited stuff. He varies wildly from seeming like a pretty chill dude to a frothing lunatic depending on what he's talking about.

And yeah he was on CA for a year or two. He collaborated a lot with HorrorGuru (another guy who was mostly under the radar there) with his own stuff being more limited. Calls himself a left-leaning centrist but has a HUGE anti-SJW, anti-identity politics bent by the looks of it (yet as he gets along with Hagan not sure how deep it really goes.)

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 14, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jenny posted:

I mean, I probably would have come to similar conclusions if he is the type of person to blame things on "The SJWs" and the fact that he tweets about me all the time, so it's not an unfounded assumption. But I don't remember casting aspersions on him to our mutual friends. Because I don't think about him. Because I don't care.

I apologise completely for believing his poo poo.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lightning Knight posted:

I disagree with making Dan a mod even though I respect him, because I think it's a conflict of interest to make any content creators the thread exists to discuss moderators of the thread.

Yeah I agree with this as well. We need a more neutral party in charge of this thread.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Doug has upgraded cameras at least once.

The issues with the specials are more things like lighting and set design than recording quality.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'm pretty sure Brad is doing it intentionally.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

I'm guessing he signed over the rights at the point where TGWTG/Channel Awesome was incorporated as a legal entity, before any of his (many) characters had taken off so the magnitude of the decision wouldn't have been blindingly obvious (and Doug, as we know, sometimes misses even that).

The trademark was filed in 2016 and according to CA (though I don't think they have any reason to lie here) is shared between four people. I'd assume Doug is one of the four.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
So this showed up on the #ChangeTheChannel hashtag from an anonymous source:

-Brad resigned quietly on Thursday, but supposedly so have the Walkers as well as Tamara and Malcom, leaving Mike and his brother Greg alone at CA
-a few more critic/snob episodes may show up on the site because they were already filmed and submitted
-the five are apparently looking for lawyers to deal with this mess but for now are going to stay incognito on a discord while they sort things out. Doug and Rob especially will not be saying anything for a few weeks.

It's rather hard to confirm or deny but if they're looking for a lawyer they're going to be keeping their heads down.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

somekindofguy posted:

Yes, please be careful of rumors. The Chan kids will probably be out in full force, and it's better to get it from the producers themselves.

Oh I know. It just seems to somewhat line up with the things happening.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was under the impression the walkers are channel awesome.

Mike Michaud is the majority shareholder of four, apparently.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

The little Brad thumbs up makes it.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Rob does some of it but the site itself is ran by Mike Michaud's brother iirc.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Apparently Guru Larry outlasted Doug Walker? Found out a minute ago.

Doug's facebook page has him as "worked" at Channel Awesome now.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 16, 2018

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
I'll drop the screenshot to be safe. Last thing I want is to encourage harassing Doug no matter what part he played in this.

I wasn't the one who took the screenshot either, but the page is public.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

AriadneThread posted:

doug doesn't own the nostalgia critic name, right? would he have to like, rebrand himself? get a new face??

Apparently the trademark is owned by 4 people (Mike and Greg Michaud, Rob and Doug Walker) so Michaud can't do anything solo with it either. A fifth owner was supposed to be brought on this week, likely Doug's father who has been more hands on with Doug's work since his wife passed away a few years back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

CelticPredator posted:

But he could just call him self The Critic. Everyone calls him that away. Same character, different name.

Nostalgia hasn't had that much to do with the character since the return anyways.