Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Does nightmind count for the purposes of this thread? It's been kind of weird to see him become super furry, instead of mostly furry like before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

I guess I'm really out of the Star Wars loop, since I don't know who Tag and Bink are, and I'm not familiar with any of that other stuff.

The only character I wanted to see make it into the new movies was Grand Admiral Thrawn, but then I didn't even read the Heir to the Empire novels.

Thrawn ended up being the main antagonist in Rebels for their third season, and wasn't killed. He might come back in the movies still.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wish Nightmind wasn't so attached to EMH or the other slenderman webseries, since they've already been discussed to death and are also usually pretty bad.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

This. Just don’t loving talk about politics and focus on dumb nerd poo poo and personal growth talks.

That's all people want nowadays, and if your business is being a personality you have to get that market since they'll be more willing to give you money.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly with a lot of these internet personalities you'd think that their line of business would teach them when it's best to shut the gently caress up but no one ever learns this important skill

boogie loving sucks

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The jack torrance stuff nightmind is doing is dumb, especially since he's complained about that so much in the past.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I can see an extremely dry gaming news site being appealing for people, though, considering; it's not like you lack choices if you want the opposite.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I Before E posted:

That's by far the worst part, just go to Battle Tendency

I really like phantom blood :(

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My buddy who worked in a comics shop for a while said that the worst was yu-gi-oh in terms of attitude / smells. The MTG community is small around here though so that might have shifted things a bit.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still salty that Finn got stuck playing comedy sidekick to Rose instead of being allowed to go do cool poo poo on his own like Rey.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Ds2 looks infinitely better now that ds3 came out.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

They really hosed up PVP and all sorts of covenants were broken at launch. I don't know if they got around to fixing it but

Like you had to farm ears on the steps of anor Londo if you wanted to get the blue cov items for 100% because it didn't work, full stop. None of the area covenants worked. All the pvp was cestus parry > demon greataxe to OHK. you'd run into counter-gank squads of a host player with no armor sprinting around with two summoned buddy bodyguards, if you killed one the host would resummon them with no cost. The multiplayer queue would prioritize games with multiple players so you'd see them constantly and it totally ruined any invasions.

:argh:

Max Wilco posted:

One of the things that Dark Souls 2 improves on from DS1 (and does better than Bloodborne) is that it makes dual-wielding viable and gives you freedom to come up with all sorts of weird weapon combinations. I remember somebody talking about doing dual pyromancy flames, so that they could punch and shoot flames at the same time. I think DS1 lets you do some form of dual-wielding for a couple of weapons, but I think the left hand is mainly reserved for shields or catalysts.

My favorite thing to do in ds2 was belltower guard while powerstancing whips, no one knew how to deal with it but it wasn't overly powerful so they could still beat you.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 3, 2018

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

:discourse:

Edit: So the Extra Credits folks have decided to kickstart a board game based on their understanding of politics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv-kcu98C5I

I immediately lost interest at "At its core, politics is a battle of ideas." I mean... isn't it about power? I could swear it was about power.

The factions are kind of lame but it looks fun. I'm guessing they went with really generic / nonspecific names to not offend people, but they really should have gone for it TBH.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If you're doing something and it's making you miserable and you're constantly being brought down, isn't that the point where you have to step back and look at everything you're doing and decide if it's even worth it? Is the platform worth having to deal with that?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Is Dracula 3000 better or worse than Dracula 2000, is the real question.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

https://twitter.com/choco_cheshire/status/1055983834183991298

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Man the down the rabbit hole on templeOS was so loving sad

That poor dude :( It was even worse when you saw him talking in the interview videos and he was lucid and normal, it just made everything else that much worse.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Furman has also always had a problem with Transformers and gender, even dating back to Arcee being introduced around the time of the movie. Our boy Simon introduces her as a sop to angry feminists wondering 'why are there no lady Transformers!?' and she is literally built for that purpose. Even at point firing her laser while going "Hmph! Men!" It's been a Thing of his for a while, thinking that it's dumb to introduce gender to creatures who don't reproduce sexually (certain horrible fan works aside, I'm sure) while yet ignoring that everybody's coded as male. And not to get too much into the weeds about what we might laughably call "Transformers canon" there's even an episode of the cartoon where back on Cybertron there's a bunch of lady Transformers doing their thing, although they never come back and of course Arcee never gets much to do after the movie either.

That's kind of funny I guess, since Steven Universe is similar (gems are rocks that grow new rocks to reproduce) but they're all coded as female.

Ah, how history repeats itself in cartoons.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The worst part about wow at this point is that they keep leaning on sylvanas leading the horde even though she won't stop doing war crimes and genocide, which after the time she nuked the horde to make more undead you figure they would have something to say but I guess not

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm still mad about how they hosed up PvP in dark souls 3 to such an insane degree. I'd rate the games 1>2>>>3.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

How about the recent Crash Bandicoot/Spyro the Dragon remaster?

I wouldn't do the remasters for crash tbh, the hitbox thing alone is enough to make that less fun.

I adore the original crash bandicoot and I was disappointed by the remake.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Archer666 posted:

The new Wolfenstein games are interesting in the way they make the main characters an unabashed terrorist.

TNC also had a weird obsession with nuclear weapons, you set off a handful and get to trek through nuked New York along with some "maybe they deserved it?" Lightly dusted about.

There's been a bizarre lust towards nuclear weapons as being cool things or rad setpieces lately instead of horrifying death bombs in video games lately and I don't know why.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

in the games there are only 3 nuke blasts. the new york one which happens when the nazis invaded and they used the nuke to force america to surrender. they never play that nuke as they deserved it. some of the nazis brag about it but gently caress them. the other nuke was at the end of BJ and crew to hit the nazi death hell castle run by deathshead. the only other time was when they are trying to escape new orleanes and they need to get the super sub unstuck and its more of a air blast then anything and all of the non nazis are in the sub.

wolfenstien doesn't treat nukes like bethesda fallout does.

BJ sets off a nuclear device inside of that one facility in 2 before he visits his house for the first time. It was just something I noticed and thought was really weird, and that eventually butted up against far cry 5's "nukes fall everyone dies" ending and then bethesdas "epic nuke loots" in 76.

I did play TNC in January of this year so the timing made me reflect a bit on that game and the way things have changed recently w/r/t nukes in games.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Roth posted:

I don't think I've seen a single reason why Goblin Slayer is good outside of how it owns the libs.

Goblin Slayer was fine. It did some interesting things and I enjoyed watching GS interact with people who weren't broken messes. The fight scenes were also pretty good. The anime cleaned up a lot of stuff from the manga, though; the manga artist might be into guro with how some of the panels are done but the anime avoids that.

Arist posted:

My stance on the Kanji and Naoto stuff has evolved considerably over the years. I never really saw them as attempts to really grapple with LGBT issues and instead they seemed to be very clearly trying to make much more milquetoast statements about gender roles. I understand the arguments that it's erasure, though.

I read it the same way tbh. I never played golden so I'm curious if there were some changes there maybe that affected the way people interacted with the story of those characters? The Yosuke thing I always liked and I really wish they left it in, though.

E: the worst part about goblin Slayer is that it was apparently cursed by a witch and any conversation about it will inevitably explode into an argument.

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 21, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I thought the Canadians were going to be on this one, drat. We need more Canadians!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

John Walker announced that he is leaving RPS.

https://twitter.com/botherer/status/1098568468201381889

Good, gently caress that guy.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DoubleCakes posted:

What did that guy do?

John Walker is just a notorious rear end in a top hat and he loves to pick fights with people.

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/TeamYouTube/status/1098756348626403328

YouTube found a way to stop those secret rings of pedos in comment sections.

It just involves shooting every content creator in the legs and arms.

But the head will be OK!

lmao oh no this is the worst way to handle this! YouTube does it again!!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The other issue with John is that if he were here reading this he would be calling you all idiots for not getting his brilliant point immediately. :v:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

The bad thing about night mind is that his video output has died off pretty hard lately. Do more short dives into weird horseshit!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was given as a reason for low sales of some Marvel comics but bad marketing tactics and poor quality seem more likely causes to me.

It's become a marketing tactic totally detatched from the actual product. I think the 2016 Ghostbusters kicked that off.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the horrifying implications that a droid rights and autonomy advocate winds up imprisoned as the brain of a starship with no control over her fate any more simply for the sake of explaining a throwaway line by C-3PO in Empire about the Falcon's computer having a really foul mouth.

If they were serious about this they'd give us a planet that was CIS droids so we could get our roger roger boys back

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Archer666 posted:

A Schumacher Avengers movie would be amazing.

A six hour long cinemasins video with a two hour segment on codpieces

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

So, that Shane Dawson huh?

You know I never thought anything about his youtube url being /luv2fuckcats69 but this shines an entirely new light on it!

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Jim's been pretty quiet lately after his epic puff piece video and it coming out that epic's game store is literal spyware so i'm very wary of him now

I'm pretty sure he was paid for that vid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Epic also checks your root certs, which no program needs to do. The conspiracy theory is that it's doing this to search for DoD certs for targeted spying purposes, but I find it more believable that it's epic doing a ton of scraping for info to sell.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Good it's about time

e: jim no don't watch puppet master don't do that to yourself

ee: I think another thing he fails to mention is that if they really want to play the game they'll just pirate it. It takes more effort to set up an epic account than it does to boot into whatever tracker you have and grab a copy of metro or outer worlds or w/e, and Epic has said they're covering lost sales so it's like you're not even pirating at all!

Grapplejack fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 25, 2019

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A better subversion that isn't insanely depressing is an isekai where the main character just wants to go home and he hates the dumb anime world he's ended up in.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

A better subversion that isn't insanely depressing is an isekai where the main character just wants to go home and he hates the dumb anime world he's ended up in.

I just realized that this is literally just the plot to final fantasy tactics advanced.

Marche is here and he hates you

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Well, Twisted Pair ends on a literal "Neil Breen will return in Twisted Pair: Endgame" sequel hook title card, so yeah he's got at least one more in the pipe. Also he apparently sets up the Breen Cinematic Universe in this one.

I'm glad he didn't just go with "Neil Breen's Endgame" because I feel like you'd have to call the police immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Still longingly waiting for the day when I never have to hear a drat thing about Boogie1488 ever again. Still waiting...

People keep posting about him and notch even though they're both washed up nobodies so you will never escape them.