Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

I think it's meant to specifically be a parody of internet/twitter leftism. You only need to take one look at rose twitter to find plenty of silly anime and furry avatars mixed with "down with capitalism," and there's inherent comedy there especially since the character mostly takes herself completely seriously.

This seems to contradict the character being described as having physical presence on the streets, which is why the satire misses the mark - it has no focus because it's conflating lifestyle anarchism and direct action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

everyone wants to copy MST3K with all of the sass and none of the creativity or optimism

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Karloff posted:

No, it's not making a rule. I did not invent the concept of set-up and pay off. This is something that goes back a long time in story-telling, thousands of years even. If someone; a critic or SA poster, or anyone, says that something is badly written, it means just that, that they feel there are tangible flaws with the writing that makes the end result unsatisfying.

If a story were to subvert the idea of set-up and pay off, for example, by expositing that the main characters are waiting for another character who then never arrives, would that story then be bad?

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I'm not saying all rule-breaking is good so much as not all rule-breaking is bad and much of it serves a purpose. A critic too focused on Da Rulez will end up missing the forest for the trees, which is a common occurrence when a piece of media tries something new and gets panned only to be redeemed later.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

When you judge success or failure broadly, individual people have different metrics and are looking for different things going in, usually informed by the contexts of what they already understand and expect tempered by their lived experiences. The consensus can also change radically over time as aspects that may have initially seemed like failings become recontextualized as breakthroughs in new techniques of craft, even after the artist is long dead.

The Hobbit most likely isn't some avant-garde masterpiece waiting to be redeemed like Freddy Got Fingered objectively and definitively is, but success and failure of an artwork is far more difficult to ascertain and fleeting than a focused analysis engaged through a specific lens (or set of lenses).

That's not to say that claiming something "failed based on x standards" isn't totally valid if it's defended well, though. That's just one of the lenses you can engage with, after all.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Honestly, I'm having trouble thinking of JRPGs that really expect you to fully engage with their mechanics to complete the story, and honestly even the high end optional content rarely expects that of the player. I wouldn't say it's a low skill ceiling in the games necessarily, because the games and mechanics can definitely be pushed way further beyond what's actually there to take on, but more like there's a generous margin to get a passing grade. And I mean, don't get me wrong, I love JRPGs, but they definitely don't require making full use of what's there a lot of the times.

But then of course you get spinoff games of JRPGs that require more engagement or have way higher skill floors and then there's a community wide meltdown about how it's a betrayal or whatnot.

One of the reasons I like the mainline SMT style of design is that even combat systems aside, the map itself is a dangerous antagonist full of traps that can hurt you, put you in combats way over your head, or waste precious resources. Even when the mainline series went third-person it maintained the dungeon-crawling paradigm it inherited from being initially inspired by games like Wizardry. It feels less like the map is a way to get from point A to point B and more like it's an experience of navigating a hostile environment.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

TheMaestroso posted:

If that's incompetence to you, then you've obliterated the actual meaning of the word.

Incompetence makes sense there, though? How else do you describe using a rendering approach that cause issues with gameplay implications out of ignorance and/or inexperience? That's a lack of competency in an area, hence incompetence. It doesn't make Subnautica garbage just like all of the issues with i.e. Dark Souls' PC port doesn't make that game garbage.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

The first two Fallouts are somewhat less notable with age, part of the reason they're so beloved is that they had so many more choices for approaching situations than other games, with some of them questionably intentional and some explicitly scripted.

For example, in Fallout 2, there's a dude you can arm wrestle and it's possible to beat him when you ordinarily wouldn't pass the stat check by feeding him drugs and waiting for him to go into withdrawal, where his relevant stats will decrease. It's downright ludicrous that this character would consume drugs some stranger handed over but that's part of the charm for a lot of people.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

the homogenization does make everything look cohesive but I definitely think that ends up marginalizing one of the original draws of MOBAs; that sensation of mashing action figures with disparate backgrounds and styles together because you can. early league felt like an rts version of smash bros in tone but at this point everyone's either edgy, boring, has the exact same annoying "quirky" sardonic tone, or all of the above.

the only personality I've liked lately is Ivern because he's this tall tree guy who's so upbeat and gregarious it's genuinely off-putting in a good way that complements his unusual appearance/silhouette.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I remember when people got really mad about Klasky Csupo's intentionally grungy style. The Style Hating Cycle is eternal.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Revolutionary Girl Utena is almost entirely tournament arcs representing different stages of a struggle for self-actualization and it owns

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I liked the series he did with Jesse Cox in Terraria because he's always seemed like the sort of guy who really needs a counterbalance of some sort to shine and that seemed to work well for him. His weird standoffish crusade against harassment victims was incredibly lovely and really soured his content for me though, both current at the time and retroactively.

A part of me wishes there were people in his life who were stricter about telling him off for being an rear end in a top hat, because I've already seen his fans pestering people he hurt directly and indirectly for positive eulogies.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Ultimately who's more of a weirdo, the weirdo or the person incessantly prodding and stalking the weirdo?

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I wish RP were more active but beef's got a whole family now so it's totally understandable that he focuses more on casual streams. I've been enjoying watching him play through oddball stuff.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Actual vikings would turn their noses up at these weird unclean stench factories, contrary to popular belief they were big on personal grooming.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

The big pile of taurus demons on the lava plain is especially pointless cause they don't respawn, so there's no reason to engage more than one or two at a time unless you've managed to never pick up a single bow. Having that many there is just time wasting.

It's not like they aren't there for a gameplay reason, they're guarding a special blacksmith ember in the lava there. It's lazy but it's not lazy with no purpose.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Dabir posted:

There's no point having so many there though. Two that always aggro at the same time and do respawn would convey that something is being guarded just as well, be functionally identical to the vast majority of players, and look less like they're taking the piss.

I bet during testing they tried something like this and were like "everyone's skipping this drat thing, how do we draw attention to it?" and someone said "just paste more taurus demons along the path like they're loving breadcrumbs"

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

This image somewhat over-exaggerates the water chip's importance to Fallout's plot.

Regardless of what ends up happening it is, like all the other bits, the opening hook

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Killer7 is almost entirely on rails and while not without its flaws it's an engaging and prescient narrative

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I think that people may be understandably weary and cynical about how pop culture treats cyberpunk after Cage let out his steamy coil over the genre.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Legitimate concerns about UBI: "neoliberals will construct the system cynically so they can cut necessary benefits i.e. disability"
Tim Soret's concerns about UBI: "everyone will be lazy, entitled millenial SJWs"

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

It felt like it wants you as the audience to concede that while Thanos' methods are bad, he's actually right that overpopulation is an issue - which is ultimately a soft-eugenics, MovieBobbish viewpoint.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I'm sad Static Shock got mostly slept on, it wasn't 100% gold but what was good was pretty fantastic.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I think a lot of the weird tonal issues with Monhun come from trying to marry the aesthetics of subsistence and trophy hunting

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

It's important to keep in mind that "rednecks" was commonly employed as a derogatory term for union strikers

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Yoko Taro in general is very much interested in exploring the mentality and consequences of various gameplay standards. I dislike auteur theory as a thing but it's undeniably a very common theme in the projects he's associated with.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

I really want there to be a good Dinotopia that's structured more like a fictional documentary and uses CGI sparingly in favor of practical effects. That book had some of the most beautiful art I've seen in a children's book and I'd love to see it actually come to life.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Puppy Time posted:

What is a wrecker?

last time i saw the term on twitter it was being flung at disability activists for the terrible crime of...expressing discontent and requesting accountability when their accessibility concerns were being stonewalled by organizers

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I think she had a point to an extent about how if you let weird fringe people on tumblr and such be the loudest voices it hurts the social left a bit. she was never saying, "Weird loud tumblr types are on the same scale as nazi." its more "if they are the loudist ones, people will think they = the left instead of fringe minority. i mean yeah, no poo poo. now its obvious that tumblr is nothing and reddit was worse.

The problem has always been that included in her categorization of "weird fringe people" are campus protesters and similar "Political Correctness" bogeymen.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

It also doesn't really address that the alt-right has a pipeline in place for this stuff, they don't just "encounter it in the wild" or anything. Whole micro-communities form around cringe cultures that actively search out the most amusing or fringe elements of their political enemies that they can while unironically representing themselves with MLP, hentai, furry, etc. identity symbols. When they become particularly caustic you get places like KF that brutally harass their targets and try to push them into suicide.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Oh and important not to forget the editorializing, either. "SJW Feminist Snaps in Public" while the context of the woman being followed around for ages by a jeering mob issuing catcalls and death threats is conveniently left out.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

yeah I don't think it should really be celebrated before tangible penance is undertaken. very easy to say all of this and then go right back to being a poo poo when the sub numbers start dipping.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

help I'm falling into an animal youtube rabbit hole and need more adorable bug/lizard/exotic youtubes

best boy is good dog peperonie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvSlMfrpreo

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

hasn't racism dog barked at stuff for being "anti-white" or am i thinking of a different Animal Screams At Bigot account

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

oh i should've googled before asking, it was about this: https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/ra...milkshake-duck/

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

business hammocks posted:

I would have assumed that tweet was about the framing of the article headline rather than the woman’s actions, but I guess it wasn’t? I hope they come back.

that's the problem with this gimmick. if the thing it's barking at has even the most minor of nuances, the reader will fill that context in with whatever first comes to mind. people aren't gonna spend a couple minutes extrapolating the meaning, they're just gonna assume the dog's barking at reverse racism or something.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Also, here's something interesting I've seen being shared around. Platinum Paragon did a study on adults who play video games.

huh, they seemed familiar so i looked them up and apparently i'd blocked them on twitter for being a gamergater years back. it was a while ago so hopefully this means they've moved on to doing something more constructive than yelling at feminists for ruining video games.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

At this point the floodgates on the political contexts surrounding games have long been opened; "keeping politics out" is itself a political stance and a heavily conservative-leaning one. It's an appeal to the "good old days" where games were games and gamers were white cis males.

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Jonathan was raised to be a gentleman by a privileged wealthy man who was too detached from society to fully comprehend the evil that exists in the world, while Joseph was raised by both an empathetic strong-willed grandmother and a friend of the family who formerly lived as a wily instinct-driven street punk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CYBEReris
Dec 15, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

how is JoJo. i keep hearing good things but i am not a anime person. the most japanese i get is kojima and the yakuza series.

to enjoy JoJo to its fullest it helps to appreciate fashion, expressive posing, and ludicrous situations that defy explanation