Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm pretty sure the anime goes into what alchemy is and where it draws its power from. It's not something for nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Hunter X Hunter 2011 anime is fantastic but, from what I understand, it adapts the source material way too faithfully. Which is why the Chimera Ant arc has like 20 minutes of narration before showing you, visually, what was just explained to you. Also why other problems exist in it (because it didn't change source stuff). People talk up that arc like it's supreme genius, the greatest shounen stuff ever created by humankind forever but I found it to be a slog and outright cruel, at times. The arc before it was so much better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Junpei Hyde posted:

See, I still don't get this part.

It doesn't have child murder or other war crimes.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 10, 2020

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My Next Life as a Villainess is a solid show. I highly recommend it for some good isekai-like fun. It's less "loser becomes hero in a world that rewards fascism and slavery" and more of the old school "girl in this fantastical world find herself and becomes a better person and positively affects the people around her" kind of isekai.

Lots of laughs and some serious feels.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3QKq24e0HM

Mulan driving folk to start youtube channels to talk about what's wrong with it. Devils made that film.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I remember the super brief window when he and Hassan were taking ultra right wing nationalists to task in online debates that he'd be move more and more to the Left but that poo poo was crushed almost immediately by him when he started getting communist followers. Probably received a lot of blow back from his shittier fans too.

Either way, the dude's trash and has no developed worldview other than "debate good, win at debate even better" with the Shaprio method of proof by verbosity.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, the 'protagonist falls in love with fantasy Hitler' storyline was an absolute disaster that wasted a bunch of fun setup and took a bunch of fun characters in extremely unpleasant directions. Like, he seemed like the obvious 'wrong guy first' in a love triangle (especially since they'd established the other apparent leg of the triangle, a former villain turned freedom fighter and single dad, as a really endearing character), and then they just kept going with it and decided 'yes, the sadistic, genocidal dictator serving as the main villain of the story is our heroine's true love'.

I read a synopsis on season 2 and boy did that sound bad. Committing war crimes for the greater good then suffering no consequences for it is the stupidest poo poo and shows need to stop doing it. Hard men making hard choices (that subjugate and murder minorities) are stupid plot points.

What a stupid follow up to season one, which I saw and it was amazing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

lunar detritus posted:

and no one would watch them because there are 100x more streamers that are not vtubers. Like it or not, it's a way for streamers to distinguish themselves from the enormous crowd.

Gives them a safe shroud of anonymity from creepers and stalkers too.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Hot take: Nomura is more deserving of acclaim and his own studio than Kojima ever was.

Honestly, I was never into the Kingdom Heart games but after FF7 Remake, I agree with this. With that game at least, Nomura knew where to make it silly and over-the-top and when to reign it in - something Kojima still hasn't learned.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

I don't get this at all.

People have different tastes and enjoyed the level of engagement and strategy it required of them.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Arist posted:

It's weird that it's so slow but also meant for flyers, who are inherently mobile.

FF7R was really fun though.

Some abilities and spells are just flat-out better, resistances be damned. Aerial combat is pretty yuck and clunky but outside of that it's just some balances changes to smooth the edges.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Pretty sure it's a translation professional who's worked in the industry for years talking about the tendency for indie devs and games journalists to go "this medium is broken but thanks to these enlightened western indie devs we'll finally fix the problems with this genre" but go off on being reductive I guess?

This is pretty rampant in the visual novel genre.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

On that front, Naughty Dog doesn't seem capable of hiring BIPOC for their characters. I like Laura Bailey but they could have hired a black woman to mocap and voice Nadine.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I didn't like Tifa's thighhighs but beyond that, her design was good.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm sure olds weren't the only thing Walt didn't want in his ideal society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That headline is hot garbage and you can tell immediately who bothered to read the article and who didn't.

That showrunner has a pretty good head on their shoulders.