Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Who needs a McDonald's and Starbucks when your cat pals make some of the most delicious looking food imaginable.

But yeah, there is a plot point in the story where if you didn't succeed, the new world would have been reduced to a smoldering ruin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

KayTee posted:

I dunno who this guy is but he seems to be a critic of things on the internet so he's roughly applicable to thus thread and I figured some slightly less awful news is needed. :)

Check out @dannyodwyer’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/dannyodwyer/status/1010740504613523456?s=09

Looks like boogie on his alternate account was arguing "b-but it made people angry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" crap in the immediate reply thread.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

Don't regurgitate classist propaganda, near all the homophobes I've ever had to deal with in person were gated community kiddies and daddy's money frat (Or wannabe) pigs, it's an anecdote but one a whole lot of other people will have too, impoverished kids in wage slavery aren't the people driving cross country to have their little net nazi get-togethers. "All those 'trailer trash rednecks', 'ghetto thugs' and filthy rurals are the real glut of homophobia, while us good, educated upper class are your allies!" is some disenfranchising bullshit from the same people that try to paint the dastardly poors as the reason for the orange baby being in power, when his biggest base has always been upper middle class pricks.

Easy there, Moviebob will flip a gasket if he learns he can't blame the poor for everything. His eugenics worldview will crumble and he won't abide that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Boogie29...454346662010881 Holy gently caress boogie, just stop being butcher Joyce.

The guy could stand to actually look up these things before posting some garbage hot take on the subject. It's insanely easy to look these things up. The "logical sane middle" sure doesn't use a whole lot of logic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

4 is just what happens when you take an already ridiculous premise and try to take it to serious territory. Not to say that there isn't a place for asking these kinds of questions or exploring the ramifications of killing hundreds of dudes on your adventure, but the fourth entry in a series is hardly the place to start that. Same goes with Shadow of the Tomb Raider or whatever the new one is called. It's not exactly the best time to be exploring the problematic and ethical issues of tomb raiding and meddling with things you don't understand. Those are certainly interesting and great topics to explore but not so much in the third entry of a series.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Way of the Samurai is a good series for reactive story-telling. Nothing crazy like Alpha Protocol but that series is probably one of my faves that doesn't get made any more.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The engrish of the British sailors is perfect. I love 4 so much. Gave you a really easy way to track your storyline progress, it allowed you to create your own broken form and all that good quality-of-life stuff. Wasn't ambitious as, say, 3's spectrum of "being a horrible loving monster" to "being the paragon of what a samurai should be" but all those improvements made it a whole lot more fun to play.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

There is a trans character in Horizon Zero Dawn but he escaped the ire from gamers at large.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Lovecraft literally wrote a short story where a guy went insane and lite himself on fire with gasoline because he found out his ancestor was a black woman. How the flying gently caress you don't see that as some sort of terrible commentary written by an extremely racist person I have no idea. I like his works but you can also freely admit that, yeah, Lovecraft was a really terrible person. But I also think that's why his horror is effective - it drew upon his xenophobia.

That's why you could make an incredible inspired works or adaptations of his works with the right framing and the right director/writers. There are groups in this country living in constant fear of government or local bodies that can tear them or their families away without any moral or ethical qualms and there wouldn't be a thing they could do about it. You can imagine that instead of drawing upon the fear of people who are different, you draw upon the fear of morally bankrupt authority and the figures that govern them. Punching up. I mean, they wouldn't be too far off of the extremely powerful entities that are indifferent to the suffering of humanity that appear in his stories.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Being rude to people online is not a fireable offense. At most it's a sit-down with HR, watching a boring video on social interaction, a slap on the wrist and a week off from twitter. Kamiya dunks on people all the time and he gets praised for it. Nothing she or the guy who first started all this are bad at all. All the blame is with the CEO for being lovely at decisions.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03XdyJN_hR8

The Canadians are back and they spin some wheels. That line-up on there in this episode is something else.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The World At War is a good WW2 documentary series. Their episode on occupied Holland is particularly good and relevant.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fascists vs Anti-Fascists

Pit two of the most evil forces western civilization has ever seen!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

oh yes, all the evil things that anti-fascists do, such as

oppose fascism

But you see, they're so opposed to it and are so for things that will benefit everyone, it'll wrap around to being super bad that excludes everyone. The only good place to be is in the logical, sane middle.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

He didn't apologize for those tweets until they were brought up. The thing he apologized for years ago was for a blog where he made other crass, garbage jokes. I don't think the guy should have been fired because Disney, at this point, is just caving in to the Right. They would have known about those tweets and he stopped making them around the time he was hired for Guardians 1. My whole thing is that people are really bending over backwards to defend the guy when people are rightly pointing out that those jokes are extremely lovely and there are a lot of them made by a guy in his 40's.

I don't think, ultimately, he's a bad person. Just an idiot who didn't scrub his twitter history with extremely bad tastes in jokes that he should be taken to town for (but not being fired).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I sure hope so. Since he got fired, we'll see if he puts that into practice.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Terrible Opinions posted:

I hope you lose your job because of something you posted on here years ago.

I already said he shouldn't have been fired. Try reading.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he already did better himself though. he hadn't made a joke or comments like that in years. jesus.
https://twitter.com/tonygoldmark/status/1020408066368421888

sorry he wasn't some perfect sinless soul.he made a mistake a long time ago, got called out on it and then made the right choices after. what do you want him to do. scourge himself for every off color joke he ever made? this kinda poo poo is no better then the evangelical puritan types.

Calm down. He stopped doing that stuff while working at Disney and if he found his way during those times, then great! Let's see how it is how it goes now that he's not working there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yardbomb posted:

This is even more pathetic than usual too, apparently this is a boy and the baddies are pushing propaganda, because really she should be thinner and have less muscles and have bigger tits, but also be tougher and stronger and have bigger tits?

I'm going to be very mad that this show aimed for little girls is not aimed at me, a middle-age man!

Anything not created specifically for straight white men in the 18-35 range is automatically feminist propaganda out to destroy western civilization.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

And yet if you pay attention to the actual background details of the world, every implicit detail says that’s actually just bullshit Helghast propaganda and there is, in fact, no difference between humans and Helghast and everyone on both sides is just being amazingly racist. I mean, there’s a bit in the third game where the player character, Sev, has to sneak past a Helghast-detecting bio-scanner in a Helgast-operated facility, and it’s a tense moment because he knows he’s going to get caught because he’s actually a human wearing a Helghast disguise, and he gets waved through clear because THE HELGHAST ARE ACTUALLY HUMAN AND THAT WHOLE THING ABOUT THEM BEING A DIFFERENT SPECIES NOW IS JUST NATIONALIST PROPAGANDA!

If you actually look beneath the surface of the row row shoot ‘em up military man stuff, the Killzone franchise is actually really whip smart at this kind of stuff. It’s just a shame that it took until Horizon: Zero Dawn for people to start recognizing who good Guerrilla Games was all along.

Killzone is the industry's whipping boy. It's not CoD or Battlefield so why do any other shooters exist? Especially when they, on the surface, look kind of generic albeit technically impressive. They did outsource those games' writing. Not until Horizon did they hire actual writers to not only create the story but to fill out the world.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

business hammocks posted:

Whedon needs fresh prey, I guess.

Already covered. He has an entire pool of young women to prey upon.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is this similar to people's reaction to Starfire being black in the Titans series? The trailer wasn't any good but it feels like that outcry is higher than the reaction to the bad trailer.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Eh, that's debatable. Kojima did alright with 1 and 3. 2 has the problem of being talked at via codec for hours on end about all manner of junk. The stuff people remember about 2 and how it predicted twitter and fake news and all that junk was just part of a hours long codec scene that was extremely tedious to sit through.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That Death Stranding E3 trailer was really bad. I dig that it was low impact but it still didn't tell me much about the game other than you walk around very barren, bland landscapes carrying packages and occasionally you have to pull out your broken toe-nails. I'm pretty much expecting a MGS4-level game here, with more gameplay - lots of navel-gazing nonsense where Kojima disappears up his own butt with bits of genius sprinkled in there.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Was it he or Limbaugh that called the Irma that hit Florida a hoax (or fake new) while they were flying out of state on a private jet?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's most likely, as all those hot takes are, just an allergic reaction to an overwhelmingly white cast of characters being diversely represented. Black Canary, in this case, is represented as a character by her whiteness and blondness. All other characteristics are secondary.

Considering those attributes are super duper rare in comics, I can see why she's upset that one minority is being pushed aside from the SJW forced-diversity agenda.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/AngryJoeShow/status/1031277831785996288

The typical response from that community when you call the whole "SJW destroying video games" for what it is: nonsense.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked the new Plinkett video and thought TLJ was merely OK. It talked about things they didn't like about it on the writing level and showed examples. They compared and contrasted with Empire and I thought they had a lot to say about the film and didn't once go into chud arguments about Mary Sues and other dumb crap like that. Honestly, I think a lot of reviewers tend to recommend a bunch of asinine changes to movies (RLM is not exempt from this) more often than not but their recommended ending to the film would have been pretty amazing.

So I think that makes me a status-quo loving Centrist with kinda bad taste and very meager critical thinking skills.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Their humor falls flat because of the Plinkett character. They go for the Carlin-style of saying something completely hyperbolic and outrageous after something critical but since the character is already an outrageous joke, it doesn't work when he says something hyperbolic as a goof.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You can look forward to that one coming out where basic income and gender fluidity leads to the downfall of creativity and civilization or someshit like that.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think a while ago someone posted a video of those Plinkett reviews with the skits edited out. Wasn't done by RLM but some random youtuber.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It'll be all fine when JJ revives Luke and undoes everything from the film. All about that mystery box universe poo poo.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

e X posted:

TFA is to me certainly the worse movie. It had a super important job of establishing this new Star Wars Universe and it absolutely poo poo the bed in that regard.

That's also part of the reason why I thought TLJ was merely OK. I'm observing this universe where I don't know what's going on. What exactly happened between the events of RotJ and TFA? Rian Johnson should have been the director for the first entry since he has more and better ideas than Abrams.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's that time again! Everyone's favorite fence-sitting one-step away from being a MAGA chud said something incredibly :psyduck:.

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/1036670361968889856

Neutron stars aren't as hot as that take.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I liked all the Souls games though 2 is my least favorite. Bloodborne is god-tier good, however. Nothing Dark Souls did ever reached the heights of Bloodborne. I'm curious to see what they do with Sekiro. It does look pretty rad but some bigger enemies just look like damage sponges. It's really hard to tell whenever the press play these games because as a requirement to be part of the enthusiast press you have to be the absolute worse at video games.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe one day he'll come to the realization that being a "good guy" means when folks talk about this sort of thing, they are happy that people who are under-represented get a chance to be part of the discourse and step aside. It means that you realize that you don't need to be part of the discussion.

Of course, openly saying that means he'll most likely lose his youtube audience.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

A serious question here: Can anyone recommend me a good video to help someone understand body/gender dysphoria and transexuals in general? Like 101 stuff. Normally, if they had some inkling I'd point them in Contra's direction but while her videos are good and informative, they might be a bit on the weird side for them. I honestly can't remember where I started off or what helped me understand all this a little bit better.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah, it was one of SA's feminist threads. One of those usually pops up for a few months before a bunch of dumb trash goes in there and screws it up because women or minorities can't have nice things on the internet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I mean, Zack Snyder's crime is he makes divisive art. People who don't quite get it just push that fact on to him then try to reinforce that fact by making up poo poo about his personal life and politics. This is a very normal thing to do.

I can level with anyone who doesn't like his films, we can have a discussion about it even. But this "he's a randian fascist freak" is just a joke and it makes you look like some shmoe who doesn't want to earnestly and critically engage with the thing he had part in creating. It's lazy.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Sep 7, 2018

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Saying you are willing to talk about movies as long as they don’t talk about subtext is a hell of a statement.

Like what would you discuss just the plot?

I don't see anyone talking about subtext here. Just a bunch of nonsense making huge leaps of logic trying to make out a guy to be some kind of idiot who doesn't know what he's doing and not the actual subtext or text of the films under scrutiny here. Besides that, every time this stuff gets brought up [the board that shan't be mentioned] always get called a bunch of weirdos for reading into films too much or some silliness like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

CharlestheHammer posted:

Your politics usually make up the bulk of subtext. You just don’t like what’s being discussed,there is a difference.

And the subtext of his films don't support any of that. I don't go in with confirmation bias and twist the subtext to create a monster of a person based off of popular consensus. The guy has always had the moniker of "fratboy dudebro" that has evolved into a "fascist objectivist". So going into his film, because I have to review it, I'm seeing it through the lens of an idiot who doesn't understand anything and it's all bad.