Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I think it’s more interesting than actually good.

I played through a bit of Nier Automata but just found the writing to be the same lovely anime/Japanese game story telling that most rpgs have; just total trash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Ugh. I just found out that ArmouredSkeptic is Canadian (in hindsight I think the U in Armoured should have been the tip off). I feel like I've just been diagnosed with flesh-eating herpes.

Why does my beautiful country keep exporting all of it's vile shitheads southward? (It's because they can't hack it in Canada, while the US is a buyer's market for awful people)

It’s been a pretty bad couple of weeks up here.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/hate-is-alive-here-wife-of-beaten-mississauga-man-speaks-out-after-attack-1.4751217

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/43pxqg/video-shows-man-blocking-person-of-colour-from-leaving-store-for-being-an-illegal-alien

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

business hammocks posted:

The canuxsploitation tradition deserves more attention. Give them their own best of the worst.

I would love for them to talk about Fubar.

https://youtu.be/eo5ZI9E7voY

I have no idea if it made any significant appearance in the USA at all.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
It’s fun but you still gotta deal with typical anime bullshit and deus ex machinas to defeat the enemies constantly. I like it but it’s definitely “””””””””” good ””””””””” with a bunch of caveats.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This is a really good video discussing Logan Paul.

https://youtu.be/T11cQXL5dJw

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Puppy Time posted:

OK since people don't seem to know this, I am going to tell you how you can clean your recs up a bit without just deleting your entire watch history. There's two things you can do:

First option, go to History, find the offending video, and hover over the title. A little X will appear. Click it, and Youtube will forget you ever watched that poo poo.

Second option, on the Recommended page, hover over the title to any videos you don't want, and click the menu dots that appear.

Click "Not Interested." This will get that poo poo off your recs. You have the option of clicking "TELL US WHY," which gives you some extra options.

Also for just chuddy types, you can use HBomberguy's Censorship Addon (at least on Chrome, IDK if it's available for anything else) and almost never see them.

There is also a Firefox add-on that lets you completely block channels from ever showing up again too.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Got a link to that one?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/video-blocker/

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

Fantastic. Thank you. Hopefully this will curtail YouTube's obsessive need to remind me that Star Wars: The Last Jedi was a CINEMATIC FAILURE!!!!! [LAURA DERN'S FACE HERE].

Actually no, it doesn't even work. lol

Hmm, that's odd. There's also a wildcard setting that you can use to block any video with a title containing any text you don't want. It's how I've stopped any video about Overwatch from showing up.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I think this stuff is worse in 5 because the whole game is fighting against corrupt power that the system created (instead of the system itself, which should have been the target) because of those elements harming the little people with little to no power. But that only extends to the straights. Those gays are awful and pedophiles and should be mocked accordingly. In 4, it's bad, but the gruff comes from a lovely teenager who's kind of an rear end in a top hat to everyone. Outside the murder mystery, there's a lot of teenage anxiety about the future and what society expects of them in the game. Not just from your party members but from the NPCs you can talk to as well.

Also the release of Persona 5 was about ten years after 4 and somehow the social politics of the game regressed.

Playing P5 it’s very clear all the attention was put into the first dungeon/section of the game and it’s so obvious how weak the design and writing of the game is after it.

I also though the writing of the game was absolute garbage but that could be my increasing impatience and distaste for anime writing. Every scene had about twenty too many dialogue boxes when the point of any scene was easily understandable after the first couple lines of dialogue.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

dmboogie posted:

i feel like this is just bad writing, and not, "anime writing"

When it comes to most anime is there a difference? I mean I love watching Jojo but most of the dialogue is a character explaining what they are going to do and then another character stating exactly how they will stop them.

Yeah, there are exceptions but they are exceedingly rare.

But I don’t want to get too far in to an anime digression because it’s mostly a taste/tolerance issue.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

poparena posted:

Some new Nick Knacks content, an episode on Spread Your Wings, a documentary series on creative young people around the world. I even managed to snag an interview with the show's creator, Canadian filmmaker Paul Saltzman.

Spread Your Wings seems like a really neat show. Such a great idea to just spend a moment in the life of another kid learning a craft.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I thought the Souls series was partially designed as a community game. I think you are encouraged to talk to other people about each others discoveries, tricks and general knowledge to help each other out. You can figure out a lot of the stuff on your own in the games but some of it sure is vague as hell.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I know Todd has made really good choices for his “Worst of” videos when every selection is met with an audible “uggh” from both my wife and I.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I thought his recent video on YouTube and art was really good but this one kinda missed the mark for me. I get the point he's making but I don't really understand the need for the extended, tortured comic book metaphor.

Generally I like this direction, I just think this one is a bit of a misfire.

I found it exhausting having to constantly mentally translate the comic metaphor to real life examples.

The content was great but it’s the same issue as with Contrapoints where the presentation gets in the way of the message.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Sanguinia posted:

The best ME ending choice is shooting the kid. Seeing Liaras time capsule message for the first time got me absolutely weepy.

I got that ending accidentally while just shooting my gun around because I was so bored during the forced crawling segment to choose your colour of ending.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
The house story line is the only one really worth paying attention to.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

poparena posted:

A new Nick Knacks on Going Great, a news magazine show with Keanu Reeves, but the video's also about He-Man, the Disney Channel and Atari.

Love the little Gabe Gundacker epcot insert.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Speaking of BioWare, Chris Davis just recently released his final video covering the Mass Effect games.

https://youtu.be/JfCBsSF-x9c

He does a pretty good job of defending/supporting the writing of the ending. I agree with him that ME 3 has to do a ton of heavy lifting with the writing because of ME 2’s really weak main story. Mass Effect 3 does an excellent job of nailing the major story conclusions such as the genophage and the Geth.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

bessantj posted:

I keep seeing a channel called 'NitPix' in my recommends, is it any good?

There are quite a few videos I like of his but the mobile game advertising in his videos are really off-putting. You also have to deal with some of the usual stuff from an “angry” YouTube video maker but overall I think he’s pretty good.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Season 6 of Lost was a huge dud but season 5 was a really fun time of time travel hijinks.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

Trying to find that Worst of 2017 list, and I instead ran across this list of miscellaneous game reviews. I can't believe some of these:

:wtc:

I must be a huge weirdo because I agree with a lot of his points and attitude towards games. There aren’t a lot of game critics that go beyond “ graphics good and controls work.”

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

NCG released another video today on American McGee's Alice games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJinl0G_i7o&t=2650s

These look awesome and I wanna play them. Anyone know if anyone is still selling them?

I really hate how he always dumps his videos and promotes them in such a self-deprecating way.

He puts a ton of work in to them and should be proud.

It’s hard to get excited to watch them when it seems like he is so miserable after finishing the videos.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
My wife got obsessed with the tv show. It’s dumb trash but fun in a goofy way with how serious it is with all of it’s nonsense nomenclature. Before knowing that it was based off of a book series I figured it was somebody’s Vampire: The Masquerade fan fiction.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I remember Ryan Davis from Giant Bomb dropping the f-slur during a stream and was able to reconcile the situation really well but that was ages and ages ago.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Augus posted:

with the whole WoW Classic thing going on, has anybody done any good videos about the evolution of WoW over the years? I’m committed to FFXIV but curious about what life is like on the other side.

No lore videos please. I’m not even remotely curious about that.

This dude’s channel has you covered.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0hAOfdoZQkJzXRFDgM7Od9R_HEQ0vFcA

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I give Kojima way more of the benefit of the doubt than he probably deserves, but I just can't really blame him for what happened with TPP because there was just so much bullshit going on behind the scenes and its a miracle that the game exists at all.

I doubt Konami was forcing Kojima to put gross pervy poo poo in all of his games.

For example:

https://youtu.be/WUh9WqgIgGw

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This guy’s channel is full of fantastically chill videos of him customizing and restoring old Hot Wheels.

https://www.youtube.com/user/baremetalHW

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

poparena posted:

I'm gonna contest that, James Rolfe has grown very little and is making virtually the same content he was a decade ago, just with a bigger budget. What makes him different from Doug is that he wasn't a shithead to begin with.

I’m going to totally second this. James’ critique is still extremely childish and mediocre. The character is bad and has limited James’s creative output. Compared to Lindsay and other notable Youtube critics his gimmick is stale and very outdated. He’s a dinosaur when compared to more modern approaches of video essays and critique. The playground swearing and toilet humour gimmick should have been torpedoed years ago.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I guess I meant from the angle that Lindsay and other CA-like creators started with bad skits and gimmicks and eventually grew up and stopped with all that junk and are able to confidently just discuss the topic they are interested in.

I would say that NakeyJakey is the modern, good version of what AVGN does.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

As a distraction from the Irate-Contra scandal, here's the latest video game article people are going :wtf: at: Don't Play the Goose Game

Highlights include:

Disclaimer: I haven't played the untitled goose game yet, but based on the little I've seen of it, it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to play. Is it?

For years now I honestly do not like the act of playing video games and much prefer watching let’s plays so I don’t need to bother learning controls, deal with annoying difficulty spikes, avoid any sort of grinding and I can just fast forward if a certain part of a game isn’t interesting. It’s also nice to just pause a video and come back instead of worrying about a game’s particular save system/checkpointing; much more respectful of my time.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I’m not bragging or anything. It’s just that I’m at the point where I’ve played enough games in my life that I don’t derive much enjoyment from playing a game myself and watching a video provides enough to have an enjoyable experience.

I also think Untitled Goose Game is a game where you can watch/play it for about five minutes and just “get it” and there isn’t much gained from playing it any longer. It’s a neat novel experience with not much depth, which obviously is not a negative at all.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
MCU movies are bad. I don’t understand the controversy.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Eschenique posted:

Anyone got any dirt on Yahtzee Croshaw? He always seemed like kind of a piece of poo poo but he's popular so ya do ya do.

Pop Arena did a fantastic video discussing one of his books and his general ideology.

https://youtu.be/FhcLcaMJdP8

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

ArfJason posted:

I once caught a glimpse of a like 8 hour video about pokemon and i was so incredibly baffled

E: lol i found it
https://youtu.be/kFC6mDKF-0c
Apologies, its only seven goddamn hours
Anyone brave enough to watch it and tell me what the hell there is in pokemon omega ruby to talk about for 7 hours

It’s not bad at all. I watched it over the course of a week or two while I played with my dog in the morning. It is just an in-depth review/critique of the game beat by beat comparing it to the original versions of the games while talking about how Pokémon has evolved and what the series does wrong and right.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
Codex Entry is finally back from a year Kong break to continue his series of analyzing Persona 5’s writing and themes.

https://youtu.be/2X2D0MCZFcA

It feels good to find somebody who can see past the fantastic style of the game and dig in to how terrible it handles it’s themes, plotting and moment to moment writing.

I’m glad I dropped the game fairly quickly and didn’t waste so much time on it.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Surely there are more economical ways of doing a project for a franchise. Maybe focus on one game and book at a time, do a video for it then move on to the next? Maybe also not get bogged down in doing everything in the game because you feel that if you don't uncover that one last "?" it may radically change your view of it?

Well, he's a grown-rear end man. If he wants to spend thousands upon thousands of hours on a project (which is just bananas to me) then so be it.

Chris Davis did the first two games that way:

Witcher 1

Witcher 2

I think it’s a much more sane and approachable way to cover those games both for the video creator and the viewer.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Yeah I can’t really get behind Joseph Anderson. It’s cool other people like him, but his approach of having to 100% a game to talk about it means that I can never really relate to him.

I understand the basic idea of wanting to cover 100% of a game because it’s a built-in critical defence from saying one’s opinion is invalid because you didn’t do/see “X.”

I do think he does get bogged down and misses broader critical aspects of a game and gets hung up on minor insignificant details of a games design fairly often. But I don’t think it’s inherently a problem for someone to 100% explore all the content a game has to offer.

MatthewMatois has a similar but much better approach to Joseph Anderson and is able to more consisely and better articulate his thoughts.

For example, if you have the time to watch both of their critiques of God of War, although it can’t be a 100% fair comparison because JA focuses much more on specific story beats:

https://youtu.be/IERHMMXeshc

Vs

https://youtu.be/pJPOvLvdugw

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Pants Donkey posted:

Don’t bigger channels like Lindsay’s just turn iff comments entirely? Or do the YouTube Maths demand you let chuds make mountains out of your molehills?

I think one of Lindsay’s business partners has the duty of moderating the comment section.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
This cooking channel’s setup is absolutely insane for only averaging around 20-30k views per video.

https://youtu.be/HHyRkk1dAhQ

If this guy can barely break through with his own kitchen set, cameras and his extensive experience with a recipe/food/drink advertising background, I sure seems insurmountable to break into this niche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Dias posted:

I probably don't need to post this here but BA's April Fools is the karmic vengeance of one Claire Saffitz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VrsmahNcfI&hd=1

I have a weird complaint about Gourmet Makes. I feel like it can’t decide to accurately recreate a thing or just make a better version of the item . So much time and effort is put into achieving as close to 1:1 representation when it shouldn’t matter at all if you are just trying to make a similar but better recreation.

I much prefer Babish’s approach of making the item as is from the piece of media and then improving on the recipe. Although his solution to most of those problems is just using insanely expensive ingredients and equipment.

Adam Ragusea has my favourite approach to cooking out of all the YouTube cooks I watch because he focuses on just making the food good, easy and cheap without worrying about presentation and fancy techniques. He purposely refuses to use a KitchenAid mixer in his videos because he thinks it sends the wrong message about needing a $300 piece of equipment to make food at home. Having graduated from culinary school myself, his approach is the most refreshing and actually motivates me to make a lot of stuff.

I love this video of his explaining why good knife skills are very important at all for home cooks: https://youtu.be/Oot0NGxQEm4