Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

poparena's nick knacks videos are ridiculously well-researched and he deserves way the hell more subscribers for the work he puts into them imo. wish i had a way to signal boost good video producers other than just telling my friends and fellow posters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yessssss

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

DoubleCakes posted:

They're being bought out by a company that's known for selling private information

lmao if you think that 100% of your private information isn't already in the hands of at least two dozen different entities

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lightning Knight posted:

Also I’m really fuckin’ tired of 30+ year old video game nerds acting like everything made before the PS1 was the best thing ever and making best games of all time lists that are mostly old Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon titles.

i mean, it could just be that those games are in fact among the best ever? like, the whole reason they keep making lists is because they still play loving phenomenally, especially when contrasted with the n64/ps1 era (hell, i'd say they've even aged a lot better than a large portion of the gamecube/xbox/ps2 libraries). that doesn't mean that there aren't much newer games that are among the best ever, and if some idiot is holding them up as examples of why 'games were so much better in my day ' then they can go gently caress themselves, but crying that they should not keep making lists of best games ever made strictly because some people say that is kinda dumb. at most there should be a separate category for games like ocarina of time which, while being one of the absolute most important and influential games ever made, has not aged gracefully at all, especially when compared with a link to the past or the wind waker.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think what people like Bob hate about them though is that Halo really did fundamentally change the market for videogames; Prior to it, they were something of a niche hobby outside of kids playing the new Mario/Sonic/etc, but suddenly you've got this easy-to-learn mature-themed shooter that just about anyone can pick up and play for short matches. Online. That caused a big explosion in game development, because there was a veritable gold rush to chase Halo sales figures with anything they can think of.

halo did not change fuckin poo poo. it was a game on a console vastly outsold by the ps2 and the dreaded 'casuals' had already taken control of the gaming market to the degree that ea not supporting the dreamcast with its sports line was a major contributing factor to its demise. poo poo, 2 of the top 3 best-selling ps1 games were gran turismo, and the third was ff7, a game that, due to a brilliant and industry-shaping marketing campaign, drew in a shitton of casual gamers to a series that previously only turbonerds like myself were even aware of.

actually no i take it back, halo did change something: the horrid controls on the warthog changed how a lot of games did vehicle controls, which it still boggles my mind that anyone ever thought that control scheme was anywhere near acceptable let alone worth emulating.

lmao these dumb motherfuckers

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

corn in the bible posted:

You know that's exactly why they do it, though. Nostalgia trumps all ideas of quality or anything else.

again, this goes into my argument for a separate list of games that are hugely important but have aged poorly. now, pokemon gold or silver, those are games that could go on a best ever list (though i'd argue for black/white and heart gold/soul silver over them).

e: thanks for editing your post so quickly that the original wasn't even picked up when i quoted it, jerk

as far as 'that's why they do it', this is a completely pointless argument. using this as an argument is basically saying 'no these celebrated games that are still played and loved by tons of people just aren't very good'. i don't think you're gonna get much traction with that. certain idiots like moviebob might hold older games up as examples of why games are bad now, but by and large most lists i've seen have those games alongside much newer games as well. if i were to be bothered making a list, games like super mario world and a link to the past would definitely be up near the top...along with games like persona 4, morrowind and battlefield: bad company 2.

of course the other way to go would just be to say that lists are stupid anyway. i find it impossible to settle on a single game that i'd consider the best ever or even my own personal favorite ever because comparing games in completely different genres with completely different graphical styles, goals, levels of interactivity, control schemes, etc. is absurd. there's no meaningful comparison one can make between, say, alpha centauri and doom, so determining which is a 'better' game seems unreasonable.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Apr 12, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Zedd posted:

There might be a CA story being unveiled soon and I hope we can keep reactions civil until we know how the dice dropped. Cause if what I was told is true hooo boy.

so what you're saying is there's worse stuff about ca we haven't heard yet?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i dunno, doing things like having an extended rape joke in their movie goes beyond just 'we're bad at managing things' imo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

this is getting into some really dark and bad places and i don't want anymore ca drama thanks

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Darth Walrus posted:

So lemme get this straight. Michaud and company get tipped off that one of their producers is an abusive, predatory creep. They sit on this for an entire year as more stories of him being an abusive, predatory creep trickle in. Eventually, a breaking point is hit, and they fire him without letting anyone else in Channel Awesome know why. A year later, he kills himself, and they decide to make the memorial to him a for-profit exercise and don’t tell any of their people who are helping with the memorial out of respect for their fallen friend that they might know why he committed suicide, and it’s because he’s a goddamned rapist. It only comes out years later when they poorly censor his name when releasing details of disciplinary action they’ve taken in order to push back against the idea that they are callous, controlling megalomaniacs.

Christ on a bike.

this kinda destroys the idea that the people behind channel awesome were simply bad at managing a website and elevates them into actual factual fuckin scumbag shitheads.

i cannot imagine what this new revelation is going to mean to other ca contributors who were friends with him and not in the know about this poo poo. it's prolly gonna result in a whole new round of terrible awful harassment though

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mel Mudkiper posted:

*kisses lips with the tips of his fingers*

Exquisite

StealthArcher posted:

Darkest Timeline paying dividends on the large and small scale

i am pretty disgusted that anyone is reacting this way to this. this sort of revelation about someone you knew and liked after they took their own life would be extremely fuckin hard to deal with and that is to say nothing about the harassment that is sure to result from this. it is garbage all around.

i feel real bad for the ca contributors, it's important to know about this sort of thing and everything else that has gone down over there but at the same time this poo poo fuckin sucks. there's no winners here.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

StealthArcher posted:

Watching the Michaud Fuckup Power Hour was fun in a kind of way, seeing him just dig the hole deeper every time.

This is not fun anymore.

we're also privileged enough to have been watching this poo poo as outsiders. it is important to remember that through it all are a bunch of ex-ca members, a handful of whom post in this thread, who while probably feeling pretty relieved to have this poo poo out in the open, have also been subject to harassment and have been exasperated and pissed off by the non-apologies and bullshit coming from michaud and company through all this poo poo.

i'll fully admit that i had an equal mix of enjoyment and disgust over poo poo that had come out before in a 'how deep does this rabbit hole go' way, but this new stuff just makes me feel lovely for everyone involved (well except the walkers, michaud and jewwario) and now i'm hoping this is the deepest that rabbit hole goes and nothing worse is out there.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i don't want to talk about the ca shitshow anymore, it's making me feel bad.

Lightning Knight posted:

I also generally think that a lot of these types of exercises are overly colored by nostalgia and overemphasize older games with good gameplay and little meaningful narrative over newer games that have good gameplay and narrative.

again, i think this comes down to 'timelessness', for lack of a better term. to put it succinctly, i feel that by the end of the nes' life, good developers had really nailed down how to make a really fuckin well-playing 2d game and that by the snes and genesis era, they were able to take the gameplay loop that they had perfected and then build onto it. conversely, adding in that third dimension has made games age much faster and more poorly. it just seems like getting a 3d game right is a hell of a lot harder and the continued improvements really obsoletes a lot of those games that did feel like they had gotten it right at the time they came out. it's harder to consider a newer game as one of the best ever made when it feels like a better one of those is coming out every couple of years than it is to consider super mario world one of the best games ever made because nintendo never topped that game and arguably neither has anyone else (as far as 2d platformers go anyway).

again, you could also take this argument that i've just laid out as its own argument as to why 'best games' lists are dumb to begin with.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

nine-gear crow posted:

Larry, for context, is Larry Bundy Jr, aka Guru Larry. He does videos on video game history and obscure facts. They’re actually quite well researched and informative and Larry’s pretty drat funny himself, but yeah ^^^ all of that bullshit up there.

well, usually well-researched. his 'five times miyamoto was an rear end in a top hat' video was extremely poorly researched to the degree that it felt like someone else wrote the whole thing given larry's usual researching rigor.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Leal posted:

Supposedly there are dead children pictures being put up there

what the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

christ almighty people suck

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Leal posted:

If he is trying to do what he can, I'll consider that in the spirit of my toxx. Ultimately I wanted Brad to distance from CA, and I admit to having a personal... "stake"? Basically I have once tried to look past a bad friend and try to make everyone happy and I was frustrated seeing Brad make the mistake I made. But if he is going to do everything else that he can to get away, I'm not gonna smugly go "see, he couldn't do it " when a contract can be involved.

i admire your gumption

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

make me mod of rgd so i can chain probate anyone that brings up spoony without good cause

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

just probate anyone that responds to botl because everyone should fuckin know better by now

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

to be honest most of the discussion about channel awesome in this thread has been fine all things considered, there's really only one dude who sucked

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Oh, God, I used to listen to them when I was in high school. I'm cringing.

blur was the correct britpop band to listen to. gently caress oasis.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Kim Justice posted:

Meanwhile, in news of older creators who actually move with the times, AVGN joins an ever-growing list of creators who are releasing on Amazon Prime Video before YouTube with the first episode of his new season (it's Earthbound, and at 39 mins it's one of his longest in ages):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU7OcFBjNgc

i assume this video will be him bitching about how badly nintendo mishandled this game in the west. earthbound deserved so much fuckin better.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

there is absolutely no point in trying to reach out to the alt-right. they are not the people who can be won over to the left. the disenfranchised who sit out elections entirely because they are (rightly) convinced that the system is broken are the people worth talking to, not the group that looks up to pieces of human garbage like milo yiannapoulos and elected a meme as president.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

wtf are you morons arguing about, both lindsay and rlm make very good videos deconstructing films. y'all are wack.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

sexpig by night posted:

I'm more curious why they don't think RLM is smug in the prequel videos. Like, I like them and all but they're incredibly smug considering how much is rooted in 'actually George Lucas is poo poo and extended CGI grousing'

i don't think saying 'george lucas is poo poo' is an indicator of smugness, considering george lucas is, in fact, poo poo.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tired Moritz posted:

RLM is bad because I can't take anyone who invest so much into star wars seriously.

i agree, it's really weird and unusual and off-putting that anyone is invested in the biggest franchise of all-time. a real head-scratcher, that.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yaws posted:

There is a level of self-awareness about how dorky shredding prequels is. Hence the Plinektt character.

Ain't no one care about the Hobbit movies. They came, went and have been promptly forgotten.

so what you're saying is, nobody should ever analyze any films ever except those belong to the biggest, most popular movie franchises of all time.

guess that's a good argument as to why lindsay's videos are 'smug'(?) since nobody cares about lord of the rings at all.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Yaws posted:

No, quite the opposite.

then what the gently caress kind of idiot argument are you even trying to make

everyone on this page is a loving dumbass, including me, for engaging in this completely loving idiotic discussion that is going nowhere at all

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

No that was moviebob.

confusing lindsay ellis for moviebob is maybe the most offensive thing anyone has ever posted in one of these threads.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

once again i feel compelled to make the case for me being made a mod of this thread so i can probate everyone dumb enough to actually respond to botl

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT5JfLaUb4I

Something something not a regular car. A fun drinking game is to count the aftermarket accessories.

At least it's not an LS?

psh that's some child's play, i'm putting a 300+hp 3.5 liter v6 in my sw20 . hell maybe when the swap is done i'll see about having it on rcr if nobody beats me to it, since it's rapidly becoming the go-to swap for that car these days.

i'm also entered in the drawing to win this mr2 just for shits 'n giggles

also ls swaps are only really offensive if they are put into a rotary car. rotary -> ls swap people are bad and unimaginative

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Anyway you have all made your points and I have come to the conclusion that...

BOTL sucks lmao

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Alaois posted:

have fun with the snap oversteer

sw20 snap oversteer is non-issue vastly exaggerated by idiots who do not know how to drive. i've driven mine for 2 and a half years and have been taking it to the track that whole time and have had the back end step out on me exactly zero times. don't be a huge idiot in an mr2 and you won't spin, it's pretty easy really.

the real struggle is working on them. it's...not a fun time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lindsay ellis, redlettermedia, todd in the shadows, lazy game reviews, poparena and of course, jim loving sterling, son are the ones i'd consider my favorites. jenny nicholson, frederick knudsen, lupa and george rockall-schmidt are pretty up there too.

of these, i have no idea where or how i discovered most of them them, i just know todd was the first (2010...gently caress that was so long ago )

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 24, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

subnautica is a whole lot of cool ideas thrown into a game developed by some seriously incompetent developers. i still liked it but my god the bugs and performance issues were unforgiveable. tons of unity-inherent bugs that good devs can fix, atrocious pop-in, etc.

also the hardcore fanbase of the game suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks and as i've said before i have been and still am strongly considering making a video about the "hardcore" survival crowd mostly using subnautica as an example.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Augus posted:

Incompetent is a bit of a harsh word to use for a studio that only has 20 employees making a 3D open world game with non-minecraft graphics that's available on both PC and console.
it's not the most optimized game in the world but it runs decently enough that it doesn't disrupt the experience.

and most fanbases are bad.

kerbal space program was made by an even smaller studio and while they did not squash every unity-inherent bug, they did a hell of a lot better a job than the subnautica devs by the time that game hit full release.

it's also worth pointing out that the subnautica devs actually claimed that they could not fix pop-in unless they got access to the unity source code. which, uh, no, i really highly doubt thay is anything but an excuse. and that pop-in absolutely affects the experience, sometimes a whole lot, as evidenced by any number of videos where someone was cruising in their seamoth and suddenly a giant mushroom that did not draw in pops into existence with the seamoth inside it, instantly exploding the seamoth.

Impermanent posted:

Incompetent coding describes not only subnautica's developers, but also the majority of game developers

this is also true and a completely expected result of treating coders as completely dispensible tools to be used up, burned out and thrown away since there's an endless stream of starry-eyed recent graduates that devs can snatch up at any time.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 7, 2018

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

it's also doing an absolute shitload of complicated physics calculations at all times.

there's also a goon who is working solo to fix the pop-in that plagues subnautica. according to him, the entire reason it exists is because unknown worlds went with a really obtuse method to draw the world in. if one dude can identify why a performance issue exists and then fix it, then i'm sorry but the people who originally developed the game are, in fact, incompetent. and it's not even like that is an uncommon occurence at this point, there've been lots of cases of this exact thing happening.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

TheMaestroso posted:

Are there game-breaking issues I don't know about? That's the kind of thing that I associate with incompetence. Using an inefficient shader says to me that the devs are inexperienced with the issues that arise from it, not that they have no idea what they're doing.

lmao it isn't an 'inefficient shader'. these are solid objects that do not render in and then suddenly pop into existence, often without enough time to react and sometimes popping in literally inside your ship and destroying it. this is an especially big issue in the mushroom forest and jellyshroom caves. and yeah, i'd call losing your seamoth because an object finally decided to render while you were unknowingly inside where its collision box is when it's properly rendered to be pretty game breaking, let alone other bugs like you randomly phasing through the cyclops (happened to me three times on my playthrough), animals going through barriers and swimming in open air caves underwater, etc. i mean poo poo sometimes the ground doesn't render in properly and then you end up stuck under the map, that's pretty awesome too.

and again their excuse was that they could not fix any of this without access to the unity source code. that is the fuckin weakest, most blame-shifting excuse they could have come up with. crying that unity wouldn't give them the source code completely erased any sympathy i could have had for their poo poo coding decisions.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Your Dinosaurs Are Wrong has sparked a bit of a nostalgia interest in me for my old Dinosaur documentary collection. The BBC Walking With: series still holds up extremely well visually, even if its information is rather inaccurate nowadays. But I can forgive that for the series actually giving a drat about filming it as a documentary and not as a televised bloodsport with bad CGI dinosaurs. The CGI is integrated incredibly well for a TV budget, and when you consider that the original Walking With Dinosaurs came out in 1999, it's amazing how much better it still looks than any dinosaur show today.

Having Kenneth Brannagh narrate also helps.

there is a rad 4-part pbs documentary from the early 90's called the dinosaurs! that may be relevant to your interests. my dad recorded it on vhs and i watched it so much as a kid that i wore the tapes out. i love documentaries like this that are outdated in some of the info they include since i love seeing scientific understanding advance through time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5cXQj80PxM

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao that guy still makes games? how and why!?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

morrowind was the last (maybe only?) good game bethesda even made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Groovelord Neato posted:

they're never gonna hire obsidian again so it's not like we'd be getting a good one.

i don't think obsidian would even accept an offer anyway after bethesda hosed them out of a bunch of money because !METACRITIC SCORES! (jesus gently caress that was so dumb and infuriating)