Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Shenmue on the other hand is telling a bog-standard story at a lethargic pace

Yes, this is what people like about it. No other game has that pace or style.

When the games came out they were pretty drat realistic compared to the alternatives, and it felt cool to have a densely packed virtual world to explore - the way even the minor side characters all had names and histories with Ryo, the way you could play Space Harrier in the arcade, that stuff was exciting back then.

Every bit of sheen has come off the game, and you're left with something unimpressive in every way. But it's totally unique, since open world game design went in a different direction from the original Shenmue games. If you want to play a game like Shenmue, your only option is Shenmue. And since the third game only exists because of hardcore Shenmue fans and kickstarter, it seems pretty clear that its target audience is people who want more Shenmue. If they came out with a story reboot or a new gameplay style for Shenmue 3, people would be upset.

If you want to play a version of Shenmue where the plot and game design are more in line with the rest of the industry, go ahead and play Yakuza. There's a ton of Yakuza games, they're mostly good. If you're not a fan of Shenmue, I'm not sure why you would care either way about Shenmue 3 in the first place. I suppose it's possible that if the game had more mass appeal, its success could finally allow the Shenmue story to conclude? I think that ship sailed for most Shenmue fans a long time ago though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Pretty sure they did not walk back the walk back. As far as I'm aware, it was more like Chick-fil-A stopped donating to a couple lovely charities and people thought it meant that they were done donating to lovely charities in general. Then Chick-fil-A said "no, we aren't done donating to lovely charities in general."

Conservatives are freaking out because Chick-fil-A donated to the SPLC, which is obviously bad because acknowledging that racism exists is a horrible crime

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Acute Grill posted:

Shaun only makes "videos" in the sense that he makes a podcast that he keeps accidentally uploading to a video hosting service. It'll do fine.

I like the guy Shaun well enough as a person, but seriously, I've sat through statistics lectures that were far more dynamic and entertaining than his videos.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Hemingway To Go! posted:

How about ditch your Twitter and explain what you mean instead of using buzzwords that will change meanings after you use them whether by nazis or by just plain stupid people with no humor or insight desperate for retweets by misuing trending terms.

People will know what you mean if you say "oh that's so woke" and then list off the horrible poo poo the facade is covering, you words will be in context forever.

Yeah, seriously.

I don't know who movie Bob is and I can't imagine there's anything in the world that could make me care, but if the guy pretends to have progressive values and he's lying about it, then it seems to me that you could just say that.

E - some of the facts in my original argument weren't actually correct after I looked them up so eh gently caress it, I'll leave the post at this.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 6, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

I don't know anything about his personal/political beliefs but I have a very hard time watching Anthony Fantano because he just comes off as totally unlikeable. He's just pompous and his opinions don't add much. It's like listening to the music opinions of an annoying dude at work.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

The worst thing I know about Ninja is that he is a complete dope who acts like an idiot about everything besides Fortnite (and maybe even about Fortnite, I wouldn't be able to tell). Pewdiepie is a straight up racist. So imo Ninja is better than Pewdiepie. Nobody should go out of their way to watch either of them though.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

I grew up with the prequels and hated them. The prequels were so dull and stupid that I have never developed any kind of appreciation for Star Wars. I pretty much resent the franchise at this point, because they will not stop making them and putting them out and going "aren't you nostalgic for this? Aren't you nostalgic? Aren't you? Aren't you?"

Me and a friend tried to watch the Force Awakens when it came out, but 1) Kylo Ren looked so stupid that we couldn't help laughing after he took off his mask and we could not take him seriously and 2) the bad guys destroying the entire loving Republic offscreen in one second killed any possible interest in the stakes of the movie. Oh good, the good guys are now left fighting hard to protect some dust in space, after they were completely defeated in seconds, and everything that everyone did in the original trilogy was basically pointless.

The fact that Star Wars is Disney's new cashcow drives me crazy. You can't escape it, everywhere you turn there's some new mediocre Star Wars IP staring you in the face.

e: the post above this one didn't exist while I was writing it lmao. I don't have a problem with Star Wars fans, I just think the franchise sucks.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 14, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

If you want to watch people talking about video games for ridiculously long amounts of time I like Noah Caldwell-Gervais. He's just a dude who drives around the American Southwest a lot and plays video games. I can't say I've ever heard an argument from him that I thought was stupid and he's gotten me to check out games like Dying Light that I ended up liking a lot.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Snyder obviously knows how far away from completion his footage is. But why wouldn't he jump on the Snyder Cut bandwagon? It's good for his ego and shifts away responsibility for Justice League being trash.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

CYBEReris posted:

Patrick Warburton characters are cheating, the dude is the Ultimate God Himbo

Wrong. Whoever the hell this guy is, he's the Ultimate God Himbo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH_2Qskv6r0#t=8s

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

I just hope that if this latest Star Wars movie bombs, they just give up on these ridiculous trilogies and make more media that actually makes use of the Star Wars setting, in a way that doesn't make the Star Wars galaxy feel shoebox-sized and completely obsessed with the Skywalker family.

Of course knowing Disney I'm sure they'll reboot everything and make another trilogy where even more loving plucky rebels fight against the Second Order or whatever.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

IronicDongz posted:

I hope they just loving stop altogether and move on to something else

Yeah but they won't ever stop so you have to temper your expectations.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

People are within their rights to watch and support poo poo from antisemites/racists/homophobes/transphobes.

But I sure hope those people don't then turn around and expect LGBT/Jewish/non-white people to respect them.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

If you legitimately aren't willing to avoid watching an open white supremacist's YouTube videos, I don't even know what to say. Unremarkable YouTube videos about reviewing games.

Are these the same people who try to justify pewdiepie's "death to all Jews" "joke"?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

watho posted:

I mean it’s not anymore shallow than the stuff in goodsprings in new vegas. It actually did make me think about it for a little while even if it’s fairly obvious

I didn't think it was as shallow as people make it out to be. The characters in-game that you meet mostly ask you to make the "compromise" decision, that's true. But the game is pretty clear that A) the factory is not sustainable because they are canning things that aren't fish to meet quotas and the power plant is unstable and will not be able to run for much longer.

The game also shows you that B) no help will ever come from Spacer's Choice HQ because they reprogrammed the security bots to kill all their plant workers to profit off the insurance fraud. The whole operation on Edgewater has already been written off..

You can agree with the characters that ask you to compromise, and those characters will be happy with you for doing that because they want to maintain the only system they've ever known. But the game is pretty clear that if you force everyone to work for the company, they have no possible future.

That's not to say I think the game is that great or anything. I felt like that intro conflict dragged on way too long and was so small-scale that it killed the feeling of space adventure.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Counterpoint: fate/zero is edgelord garbage for manchildren, where every female character only exists to die and suffer for the character arc of the male characters, and it is far and away the worst entry in fate behind the trashy magical girl spinoff that’s explicitly targeted at pedophiles

Okay so I'll qualify that my only exposure to the Fate series is Fate/Zero.

But yes, seriously. Fate/Zero is a loving insanely bad anime written by someone who has majorly weird issues with women. I watched the whole thing and I honestly couldn't tell you why I did. The ending is completely predictable from a mile away after just the first episode, even if you don't know that the grail is possessed by some sort of evil God or something?

They talk up summoning King Arthur, make a big deal about how King Arthur is the most powerful summon, blah blah, they summon the king and oh nooo it's a woman. The main character is pissed about this for some reason. Artoria - the most powerful fighter you can summon - then gets nicked very slightly in a battle by Cu Chulainn (a man) and is out of combat action for practically the entire series. Half the loving show is scenes of different, male kings summoned from history sitting down and telling Artoria that she sucks and that she's the worst king ever and that she's a loser. It's honestly kind of shocking

It was so bad that I have no interest in ever seeing anything in the Fate series or anything written by that guy (Gen Urobuchi) again. The fact that it was recommended to me as the best piece of Fate media is disconcerting to me.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Dec 30, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Raenir Salazar posted:

It wasn't Cu Cullain summoned in Zero, but the other Irish hero. Diarmuid Ua Duibhne; Cu is summoned into the OG Fate series.

I legitimately did not know that those were supposed to be two different characters because they're, like, identical except for minor differences in hairstyle and armor color.

I've encountered many different kinds of people who like Fate stuff and I kinda get the impression that they mostly enjoy it because it's full of pretty anime people that lend themselves well to fanworks. The biggest Fate fan I ever knew was an MD who just happened to enjoy the number and variety of anime husbandos in the Fate series (I guess she was a little bit of a stereotypical anime nerd). It seems to occupy the same cultural space as something like Touken Ranbu - primarily just a big gaggle of appealing/attractive character designs that can be used to sell things.

Regardless of the general quality of Fate media, I don't think you can draw any conclusions about a person based on the knowledge that they're a Fate fan.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

(main protagonist wants to be a hero by being a hard man making hard decisions, is shown personally how wrong those ideal are and that they will never lead to peace by showing scenario after scenario where he has to save people by sacrificing other people, realizes he's basically mudered everyone he has ever loved with his own hands for nothing.)

Yeah so, this was what I thought was so ludicrously obvious from minute 1 of episode 1 that I was just waiting for the show to subvert it in some way. But no. Badass man will kill anyone and do anything so that he can achieve world peace with a magical wish-granting device. Oh noooo, the badass man wins, but it turns out the wish will be corrupted to be twisted and dark! Who could have seen that coming?

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 30, 2019

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Uh.

The man is shown that he's not a badass like he thought. The wish was not corrupted, he turns it down and never calls himself a hero again because it's shown what HIS ideals about the greater good and what being a hero means leads to.

Yes, and the message is really obvious and they beat you over the head with it relentlessly. That was the problem. The whole show, you watch a guy use ruthlessly cruel methods so he can wish for world peace, thinking the whole time "oh so if he gets to make the wish, he's gonna get into a monkey's paw situation with the wishing device because he's being a hypocrite." Then he does. I mean, maybe that in itself is not bad writing necessarily, but it was just so drat straightforward.

Also the show did not seem to be very clear on the question of whether or not the grail was cursed, because I definitely left the last episode thinking that it was.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Motto posted:

Fate/Zero isn't that great imo but a lot of it's formed around the typical constraints of a sequel where most of the key figures have their endpoints locked in and the writer has to navigate in or around those lines. Unsurprisingly the most popular pair of characters are basically original and disconnected from the main plot.

It still has a lot of pacing and writing issues on those terms though (ex. giving a preexisting character a subplot that could've made them engaging despite being doomed to backslide emotionally but dropping it after an episode).

Which is the most popular pair of characters? Is it Iskandar and Waver? Because the scenes with those two are far and away the best in the show.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

RareAcumen posted:

I know the yellow kid is pretty annoying but give Demon Slayer a chance.

Yeah the show is good and after the second episode or so it mostly consists of very well-animated swordfight scenes. I think the yellow kid is funny.

Mob Psycho 100 is easily the best anime I've ever seen, it's probably my favorite show of all time.

I'm not a particularly anti-anime person but I've found that a lot of the most popular/recommended anime loving sucks.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

The ones that were recommended to me that I thought were just garbage were Konosuba, Overlord, Fate/Zero, Sword Art Online, and Darling in the Franxx (I think most people have soured on that show by now though, this was back when it was airing and hadn't finished). Those were the ones where I was completely unimpressed with everything about them and pretty repulsed by the way they're written.

I also saw Gurrenn Lagann and Death Note and I think they're not very good. I thought My Hero Academia was only decent in season one. But those aren't horrible shows or anything. Just didn't get what's supposed to make them some of the best. There was also that moment when Kemono Friends was super popular for some reason, and that show was definitely not worthwhile.

I pretty much feel the same way about most popular American TV shows, though, so it might just be me.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

Houseki no Kuni

Captain Invictus posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Yeah, I've seen these and these are both good. That's why I wouldn't say I'm an anti-anime person in general. JJBA is also good, and Ore Monogatari and Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun are both really good romantic comedy series with funny writing. I guess my main frustration really is that from my perspective it seems like anime fans in general tend to focus on the worst possible poo poo.

So to keep things on topic, who's an actually good anime reviewer on youtube?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i'm dragging this back from pages ago because i'm catching up on the thread and this made me loving spit my drink out it's such a bad take. F/Z is inarguably a huge sausage fest and inarguably has some weird issues with the female characters but you're partly missing context you were supposed to have, and you're partly just comically misinterpreting things

firstly: Artoria is not out of action for most of the series and you're super misremembering if that's how you remember it. the thing with her arm gets resolved within a couple episodes, and only comes back as a deliberate crutch she puts on herself so she can fight Diarmuid more fairly (since the duel where he did it got interrupted, and they desperately wanted to gently caress each other have an Honorable Knightly Duel)

She gets injured in episode 4 in her very first fight and it's not healed until the second season in episode 15. She's handicapped for most of the series, especially considering a few of the episodes of season 2 are flashbacks where no forward progress is made in the story and Saber doesn't appear at all.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

secondly: it's explicitly said why Kiritsugu was a grump during the summoning, and it's because 1) he hates everyone else in that room with him other than Iri and Saber with every fiber of his being, and 2) he basically got the picture of what her deal is, with her being basically a scared teenage girl who had an entire country's hopes and wishes forced onto her, right off the bat and it pissed him the gently caress off, because getting huge mad at injustices that happen to other people is kind of a hereditary trait for the Emiya family. he doesn't care that she's a woman at all beyond that, and when Artoria assumes that's his beef, Iri shuts her down and explains what's actually up.

How does that square with Kiritsugu's refusal to even speak to Saber, and instead force his wife to be a go-between? He treats her like she's subhuman the whole series. It's not just a strategy to hide his identity as her summoner, he doesn't even plan things with her. The story does say that he's disgusted with her belief in chivalry because it glorifies war, I guess. The wiki article says that he hates her because "Kiritsugu's anger towards Saber is out of the belief that he could not accept the decisions Saber made or allowed to be made in life yet he could not justify his reasons for why he believed she was wrong." It's also strange because he doesn't seem to have any issue with Saber until he summons her and she turns out to be a woman. Either way, you end up with a male main character who's surrounded by the following female characters: 1) Irisviel, his supposed reason for fighting, a wife that he cheats on, who dies at the end; 2) Saber, a fighter who he hates and refuses to speak to; 3) Maiya, an emotionless slave to him who dies for him (he also cheats on his wife with her); 4) a childhood friend who dies to set his story in motion; 5) Ilya, his young daughter who is largely a non-entity in this show. Number 6 is Natalia, the tough mentor figure - I think she, plus the kid versions of Sakura and Rin, are the only female characters in the show who're handled decently.

There's only two other female characters besides those (Sola-ui and Sakura's mom, neither of them are major). You're never gonna convince me that the show's treatment of women in general isn't misogynistic, so while I understand that Kiritsugu's anger against Saber is supposed to be about a clash of ideals, it comes off incredibly poorly, especially alongside the fact that he also treats every other female ally like poo poo. Based on his character, sure, he would probably treat male allies like poo poo as well, but in the show, he has no male allies. Plus, while I get that Kiritsugu is portrayed as being in the wrong, a) the fanbase at large does not seem to understand that at all (which is surprising but also not surprising. It's not a subtle message that Kiritsugu is wrong at all, but it's the internet, so whatever) and b) the show explicitly states that he's wrong because of the mismatch between his ideals and methods. The show does not make much of an attempt to comment on the way he treats the women around him at all.

As for the kings making GBS threads on Saber scene - I understand the need to put things in a certain place in a prequel series. I guess in Fate/Stay Night, Saber must think she's the shittiest king ever and they need to lay the groundwork for that. I'm not going to watch Fate/Stay Night, though. So in the context of the rest of Fate/Zero and only Fate/Zero, I was pretty shocked at that scene, especially because (as you noted in your post) Gilgamesh and Iskandar are talking complete nonsense the whole time and Saber is just like "oh man, they're right, it's all true, I'm the worst king". Along with everything else in the show, it felt like I was watching the Artoria Pendragon Emotional Abuse Hour, and it also soured me on Iskandar's character to some degree.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Raenir Salazar posted:

I mean this is kinda the root of the problem.

Fair enough that I might lack context about a prequel series if I haven't seen the original. But I'm not going to watch the original series if I saw the prequel series and I thought it was garbage.

And even if the show is supposed to be critiquing the heartless way Kiritsugu treats his allies, it was entirely the choice of the writer to give him nothing but women to abuse.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Mappo posted:

I've been thinking about doing a video essay on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and how it has been influenced by gay fashion and gay body positivity. Don't know if that has been done yet, but I do have access to a lot of that type of art and it would be fun to film that instead of pulling it off the internet.

I dunno if anyone responded to this post when it was made a few pages back, but I'd be interested in seeing this.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

also a lot of the 'men are so ugly and bad' stuff sure doesnt feel great to closeted transwomen

edit: also transmen

edit edit: also dmab nb people

If you're a man attracted to dudes it can also be disheartening, because you're already told plenty of times in your life that men are disgusting and it's gross to like them. I'm only really bothered by it when it shows up in LGBT spaces, though, and even then most of the time it's LGBT women just making jokes so I dunno.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Arcsquad12 posted:

I've often wondered how much of Vegeta's Saiyan pride is actual knowledge and experience and how much of it is his him projecting his preconceptions about the culture, kind of like how Worf is a Klingon weeaboo in Star Trek who never really grew up with Klingons. Vegeta was really young when the planet was destroyed so his only adult frame of reference for Saiyans for most of his life was Nappa, who was an idiot.

The Saiyans in general seem to be pretty dumb with the exception of Bardock and, like, Dragon Ball Super-era Vegeta, so maybe Nappa was considered a pretty smart guy and the right choice to help raise a prince.

I love the new, extremely fanfiction-esque transformation forms that Goku and Vegeta have been getting in Super. Much better than Dragon Ball GT's ugly Super Saiyan 4 thing.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 8, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Yeah but both those extremes have their merits. I like the stories of MGS and of Dark Souls, even if MGS is stupidly over the top all the time and Dark Souls has an almost fully optional story.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Replacing boots is a very small thing in that game and you get the ability to make new boots for dirt cheap early on. Plus people online will shove extra pairs of boots in share lockers a lot. It's not really a big deal either way.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

FoldableHuman posted:

At least Yoko Taro has the self confidence to stand by "I like sexy ladies" for 2B's design.

The female characters in Nier: Automata are mostly well-written, but I've always thought the character design for 2B in that game is just embarrassingly bad. I respect the dude is outright horny but the apocalyptic game about relatively deep themes does not also need to be an upskirt simulator.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 21, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

I think the Saiyan saga is legit the only DBZ saga that doesn't feature systematic genocide

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

It's pretty telling when internet people consider "cancelling" someone (a subset of people telling others not to watch a person's content/follow them online) to be the equivalent of keeping a person imprisoned. Without a hint of irony.

"I am serving 20 years for weed because of a racist police system."

"Yes, I understand your pain. I can no longer co-host a YouTube show with a McElroy brother."

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 16, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

LanceHunter posted:

But philosophically it is pretty incompatible to hold that ones vile/disagreeable statements are a permanent stain that deserves permanent consequences while those who have committed actual crimes should be removed from punishment earlier.

This stuff is so funny. Who's even saying that? Where's an example of a "cancelled" person who has been legitimately interested in trying to redeem themselves and make up for their actions who has been shunned? 9/10 times they just reappear online and start getting huge (but slightly lower) view counts again, either doing the exact same thing or railing against "cancel culture."

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

It seems to me as though this is the main point w/r/t the Jojo fanfic:

Endorph posted:

compare a sexual assault survivor getting called a pedophile and a rapist for writing a slightly problematic jojo's fanfic with 50 views, that getting spread around various discords, and literally nobody who doesnt want to ruin her caring because literally nobody on the planet knows who she is except some random who stumbled across said fanfic, versus youtube gamer man saying the nword, getting made fun of for two days, and then continuing to make millions and all his fans circling the wagons anytime the criticism comes up

The situation where a youtube dude is "cancelled" because a large number of people talk about the fact that he's DMing underage people or whatever - that's what I hear when I hear someone is "cancelled".

The situation where a fanfic author is harassed to a huge extent by a small group of people is something I would just call cyberbullying or harassment.

The key point is that when I hear "cancelling", I think "this person is being criticized in public because large amounts of people are motivated to feel like they have to warn others about the way they behave/show that the way they're acting sucks."

The case where a small group of people attack a person for a piece of fanfiction, that everyone involved well knows is gonna be read by basically nobody, is harassment. There's no desire to protect others, nobody else actually cares, they want to ruin the target of their harassment using the methods that they have at their disposal.

If the term "cancelling" is going to include everything from: (a) people who still run successful youtube channels and Patreons, but get a contingent of people grumbling when their videos come out, to (b) small-scale fanfiction authors that get cyberbullied into nearly committing suicide, then the term is not useful.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Ghostlight posted:

after i watched that koto tuning video linked earlier in the thread youtube recommended me a video which was just an excerpt of the chapo boys making fun of japan for having a "poo poo guitar" and making (imo racist) imitations of what it sounded like the whole time. that is my chapo story.

That was cum town and those guys are complete poo poo.

e: I find the Chapo guys tiresome and I don't think they contribute much of anything to anyone but they're also not nearly as bad as cum town

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 3, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

CYBEReris posted:

if you can go back and look for a link it'd help your story a lot. it's not that I don't believe it but everyone has broken picture telephone stories just like this one about chapo and it gets exhausting sorting out what's bullshit.

They're talking about the cumtown "chinese guitar" """joke"""

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 3, 2020

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Endorph posted:

so, a podcast

yeah but at least on some of the other podcasts the comedians can tell decent jokes

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

I empathize very much with the people in China who don't care about Star Wars and I wish the new movies could flop here in the US like they do over there.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tbf on that latter point, getting from A to B there was pretty much the plot of TNO, and I kind of like that they had BJ's accomplishments actually matter and result in a coherent, solid movement against the Nazis

it would have frankly sucked way worse if TNC set everything back to square one

Yeah I actually really enjoyed the sense of power you have with the Da'at Yichud super-tech. Makes it seem a little less unlikely that a tiny crew could take down a Nazi global empire.

I'm frequently someone who hates what everyone likes so tbh I'm kind of surprised that I really liked The New Colossus as much or more than the first one. I liked the difficulty, I liked the setpieces, I even liked the thing where you have 50 health and 200 armor in the beginning. The only complaint I really have is that the game makes you restart from a checkpoint if you step on Hitler's head.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casey Finnigan
Apr 29, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Hel posted:

You say that as if some Americans didn't complain that you had to fight Nazis, and TNO sold well without catering directly to Americans so why not keep doing that?
Also I might be wrong but my impression of Russia was that while sharing their ideology was pretty ok, actual swastika Nazis were still bad because they killed a lot of people in the great patriotic war and all.

The New Colossus is the only Wolfenstein game that has ever been set in America, and the next Wolfenstein game most likely won't be set in America either. It's really not that big of a deal. I'd agree if they decided to drop everything and make the series America-centric, but it's the second game in a relatively new series and it doesn't look like that's what they're planning.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 14, 2020