Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

Such things indicate how much change is willing to happen from the management side I guess.

It's Conde Nast, chances are they are already planning how to phase out all their "stars" in the next couple of years so this doesn't happen again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

She's explained pretty much the same thing Twitter (which she's going to change as well). Basically she just doesn't enjoy making videos anymore and wants to move on to other things.

I wonder how hard it is to move from something pretty stable (if soul sucking from what every youtuber has said) to... well, anything else. The temptation to just go back and make another video must be pretty strong if things get tough.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Jim Sterling has been on fire lately
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1H_6OUZ1ZI

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

A snippet from Hbomb's patreon update for his RWBY video.

They're still making RvB too, so dem Halo assets continue doin' work for them. I know Anime is rife with pirating but blocking every scrap of footage on youtube doesn't seem like the best way to combat that, especially for a company that made its name off repurposing existing material.

I'm glad hbomb has to spend 300 more hours scrubbing his three-hour rant about a show no one watches.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Yardbomb posted:

RWBY's fine.

For some reason, RWBY generates an incredible amount of hostility, especially considering it's such a niche show.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I guess my first reaction is to be a bit suspicious of people who are too expressive in their dislike for RWBY mostly because some people really hate the show because it has LGBT characters and Vic Mignogna got fired.

It's totally valid to dislike the show, it's incredibly flawed in a lot of ways, but yeah.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I know game grumps is profitable but is it 1200+ bucks worth of unopened card packs a week that he's not selling profitable? or is this just a gambling hit addiction I'm witnessing?

Jumping around the videos, he gets multiple $100 donations per stream and the videos are monetized. It may not be 100% profitable in the short term but I doubt he's losing that much money.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sydin posted:

:rip: Oum, legitimately sad that his passion project got run into the ground by idiots.

Wait, he's one of the "monty wouldn't have wanted this" crew? oh no, the discourse is going to be awful :cripes:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Sydin posted:

No, more "The bits Monty worked on are largely good but the writers ultimately failed to create compelling context around them"

Okay, I ended up watching the video and you're right.

I still believe the show is genuinely getting better but asking people to watch 6 seasons of middling writing is a lot. Doesn't help that the entire thing about systemic racism hbomb mentions and how they really shouldn't have tried to do it? It gets a repeat in season 7 with some systemic oppression that doesn't go anywhere. It's like the writers went "hm, racism is over, what other issue can we tackle?"

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My main problem with hbomb's video is that while most of his criticism is valid, he ends with the equivalent of "and that's why this show sucks and it'll never be better" while completely ignoring the remaining four seasons. He's annoyed at the equivalent of half a 24-episode season of anime in length. Hell, even his two hour video is longer than the entire first season.

RT got a writer with experience for season 6 onwards, and it shows, so there is someone in there somewhere listening, even if hbomb refuses to believe the writers can accept criticism.

It's valid to dislike the show, it's tremendously flawed, but the tone of his video is just weird.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Does it though?

I'm not sure i'd call a 3 way fight where one side fights side by side with a literal serial killer (2/3), gets his friend/now rival (the 3rd party of the fight) killed, then blames someone entirely not present for the fact he directly caused that dudes death good writing.

I actually agree with that. :v:

Terrible Opinions posted:

Asking someone to wait for season 6 of anything for it to "get good" is a pretty ridiculous ask.

I also agree with this. I just was complaining about hbomb's conclusion, not saying that it's worth it for anyone to actually go watch RWBY.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

fun hater posted:

while technically not wrong, when someone drags this comment out usually the gotcha they're trying to employ is that "classic" lit is full of hosed up poo poo, which is true. lol. i think its obvious that the horny genre, is horny.

e: 50 shades is also comparatively tame is just stupid and inept and written by someone who doesnt know what a healthy relationship looks like

I mean, the same is true with fanfiction. It's not like the problematic content is posted untagged to be accidentally consumed by readers looking for gen stuff. Horny tags are horny, and usually behind an adult content warning.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Fabricated posted:

Do they really want to get into cancelling artists for weird poo poo they drew years ago? Because uh, there's a lot of that in the animation world- including people like Rebecca Sugar.

lol if you think weirdos haven't been trying to cancel Rebecca Sugar for years.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Endorph posted:

Dragon Ball aired in the US before Z did, its just nobody watched it.

Which is a shame because Dragon Ball is way more fun that Z.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

then Arin and Dan streamed it later on

I remember their stream being pretty bad, they barely cared about the game and constantly had problems remembering who was who.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

I know it's a silly thing, but Arin's camera focus freaking out because it thinks a magic card is a person here is killing me :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqr0Nl8oXQ0&hd=1&t=8853s

and the last pack he opened in the video was another Chronicles pack, which had that same card and caused the same problem. "no, give me my camera back, god drat you"

What a master of cracking himself up.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

shut up about vtubers, bdg has a new video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV__C64Ni50

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

every vtuber video that is at all funny would be way better if they weren't a vtuber

and no one would watch them because there are 100x more streamers that are not vtubers. Like it or not, it's a way for streamers to distinguish themselves from the enormous crowd.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1305663413289463810
(twitch is introducing ads that the streamer has no control over)

Twitch doing that kind of thing kinda proves that no video hosting platform is actually profitable.

They have the most popular platform after youtube with people actively buying subscriptions and bits every minute of every day and they still have to try and make more money with ads.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

no video hosting platform will ever be profitable enough under capitalism

:sigh:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZV-jGJ6w

I was a bit lukewarm about the first episode but the second one blows it out of the water.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zDZV-jGJ6w

Have we had the 2nd episode of Stump Sohla yet? It's absolutely fantastic. Makes you even angrier that Conde Nast neglected Sohla and the other talented BIPOC folks in the BA Test Kitchen. Like, she's just ludicrously good at what she does.

I kinda like how Babish just lets it pretty much be her show too, only appearing at the beginning and end - like he's there through the process to help film it (and steal Cheez-Its) but that's pretty much it. Not everyone would do that even though "just let Sohla be Sohla" is clearly a total winner.

In reddit Babish mentions how the production of this one was rushed, I wonder if they saw the most common criticism for the first (it doesn't really play into Sohla's strenghts) and moved this episode (which does) forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Trojan Kaiju posted:

This Vulture profile also goes into it particularly from Sohla's perspective. One thing of note from this is that Chris Morocco uhhh loving sucks!

And of course a lot of people are now talking against Sohla because she dared to say bad things about Brad Leone, while completely ignoring everything else in the article.