Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Acute Grill posted:

You joke, but Nintendo used to be all about selling extra hardware doodads. The worst was probably in the gamecube era when a lot of their first-party games required you to use a Game Boy advance with a link cable instead of a controller because gently caress you, buy poo poo.

What games other than Pac-Man Vs. and Crystal Chronicles required it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nine-gear crow posted:

Legitimately good things the Sonic Franchise as produced since 2005:

• Sonic Twitter
  • Sonic Mania
  • Sonic Colors soundtrack
  • The Sonic Boom TV show
  • That Sonic cameo in Wreck It Ralph

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice is actually a really fun game with a lot of speedrun potential, but no one played it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Sonic Forces is very good, and if you don't like it i just don't think you can appreciate laughing at your own middle school self.

Your username is wrong.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

Which internet super star will make a video about the current Bowsette meme first? I'm hedging my bets on Mat Pat

PewDiePie already did one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

Well poo poo, and here I was thinking the theorist hack would do something like "What happens if you put the bowsette crown on link" and its just a picture of linkle.

Someone already did Sans too, so there's not much else for MatPat to cover, unless he wants to see how the Super Crown fits in with the Afton family.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

It's a genuinely funny gag.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Bowsette should prove to Nintendo that the Mario Mythos is in need of a strong, female antagonist figure.* Nintendo has resisted making Wa-Peach for too long, I say!

*Sorry, Wendy O. Koopa.

I like that a lot of the Bowsette fanart features her as strong and commanding, since Bowser is exactly that. I hope we get Mom Bowser, and Bowser Jr. is all "HEH HEH, MY PARENTS OWN, GET 'EM MOM AND DAD."

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nine-gear scarecrow posted:

Aside from the choppy frame rate (which appears to be a stylistic choice, and one I’m increasingly annoyed by as it gains prominence)

Anime does this to maintain what is supposed to be similar frame rates to regular 2D animation. I noticed this for the first time in Arpeggio of Blue Steel and Knights of Sidonia, and I don't understand why it was a conscious decision.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roth posted:

Everyone should do themselves a favor and check out Zombieland Saga.

Episode 1 of this was pretty good. Episode 2 had me hooked. AOTS.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't even own a TV.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The Detective Pikachu game had a decent story and was genuinely fun. I am confident that the film will be both competent and enjoyable.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's mostly good, and well worth playing even if it is pretty simple, but I utterly hated the "wait for the sequel, no really, there'll be one, promise!!" ending. I'm absolutely sick of those on general principle, because nine times out of ten the sequel never happens and you're just left with an unfinished story.

Cosigning that sentiment. Knowing Game Freak and Nintendo, though, they'll definitely keep Detective Pikachu in the minds of the public for a long while.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sephyr posted:

Digibro can be very good on 'neutral' titles, meaning those that don't cater to/offend his weird kinks. When that happens, he can be a weird creep.

Digibro is a self-proclaimed lolicon enthusiast, and it is absolutely best to not give him the time of day. He *is* a weird creep, and he deserves far less than he has.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Given Mother's Basement's unironic championing of similarly bad shows, I don't know what to tell you other than this is a problem across most anime reviewers. Some are just more honest about it than others. Bennett and Jake are the only ones I haven't seen stanning for some sort of gross pedophile show or another. It's only when it gets as obvious as Made in Abyss that they even address it.

MB, at the very least, openly dislikes the creepy sexual-assaulty stuff in anime, as he's mentioned quite a bit in his SAO stuff, so I imagine he has standards and morals that a lot of anitubers just toss aside for their audiences.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Solitair posted:

Super Eyepatch Wolf also criticizes the pedo stuff in Made in Abyss and anime fans' willingness to defend it in the industry, but only for about half a minute. I wasn't aware of just how bad it got based on his video alone.

On a related note, is Made in Abyss worth watching? I'd always heard about the questionable stuff, but I never looked into it myself.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

He criticizes it in shows he already actively dislikes and ones where plausible deniability has been stripped away. This is the same for Super Eyepatch Wolf. They still don't both for any of the shows they like where the author isn't publicly pro-pedophilia. They have both recommended plenty of creepy pedo anime without a single peep of warning in other occasions. Like if you're willing to look past that on both of them that's your call, but don't pretend they're somehow safe.

I mean, by the sound of it, there are literally no safe anituber reviewers, so I guess I'm willing to take the lesser of whatever evils are out there.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

GrandpaPants posted:

How do you gently caress up a Bomberman game? (Assuming it is classic bomberman and not gritty bomberman)

Super Bomberman R is a fine game, and the multiplayer is great. It's just that Bomberman as a concept is kinda bare bones, and also, much like Sonic, there's a fandom debate on whether they should make more Classic, more 64/Hero, or more Jetters.

Also, Act Zero actually follows the story and aesthetic of Bomberman 1 to a T. It's... really odd.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the camera sucks, 30fps is completely loving unacceptable for a bomberman game, it's visually unappealing, major control input lag, and it was sold as a full price game. yes, a goddamn bomberman game in 2017 was selling at full price.

It's 60fps now, the camera can be controlled, there's no lag that I've ever seen, and it's now $40.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

Aww poo poo it was a Nazi thing? Dang I always thought it was just a 'shut up about anime' or 'put away your Amiibos' thing.

Unless you can find some black or Mexican dudes, then everyone can mark out about Dragon Ball Z.

It was an anime thing, because Power Level is specifically DBZ-related. Hide that you're a weeb. Don't destroy the punching test gauge like Vegeta.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

VanSandman posted:

People see themselves in myths and stories. Especially popular ones, since it gives you an instant community. It's kind of a human trait to do so. Why Harry Potter or Star Wars? Because it feels nice to be a part of something that big.

Replace Harry Potter stuff with anime like Sword Art Online, where Kirito represents antifa, Fairy King Oberon imprisoning Asuna and trying to make her his wife is Trump trying to use DACA as leverage for wall funding, and Death Gun's attacks in Gun Gale Online are police brutality.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

achillesforever6 posted:

What does a character dying of AIDS represent?

That's actually 1:1.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Stop doing this to yourself.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

Anime Twitter is blowing up about some sort of abuse allegations. The hell is going on there?

Guy named Hazukari turned out to be the Nick Robinson of Anitwitter, except worse, with the trail of receipts being staggering.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Which anime is contaminated

all of them are in quarantine as we speak

until further notice, all anime is locked out for safety

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Cicadalek posted:

yeah but to do the Hideki Kamiya thing you have to make a good game first

Eventually, Kamiya will make one.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Is there a clip of when he found out?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

JordanKai posted:

I went to bed minutes before Alexander Occasio-Cortex showed up on the stream to say 'trans rights'. I wish I could've been there to witness that legendary moment.

I'm super happy that this whole event ended up being as big as it did, though. It's the kind of thing that really rekindles the hope inside of you.

Seeing Hbomb get totally starstruck on screen was really great. He absolutely could not believe what was happening, and I hear the Discord was in total chaos for the same reason.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

Anime fandom in the West is fairly LGBT-heavy, so it was an easy in. Also dovetailed unpleasantly well with his particular choice of victim - let's just say a bunch of people were very happy to get an opportunity to lend a hand to transgender kids so soon after the allegations broke.

He had absolutely no bounds and was willing to go for anyone, but he specifically considered trans people a prize to be won.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skippy McPants posted:

Trying to follow the stuff with Vic and Hazukari but I'm not very big into anime and I find it interesting that most everything appears to be happening in twitter threads. Aren't there industry outlets (e.g. like Polygon or Kotaku are for games) that would run a story about these allegations?

I guess I find it weird that in 2018 the Con scene is still so underreported, undermanaged, and underregulated.

Industry might report on Vic if credible, concrete evidence comes to light, but Hazu was just a dude who was anitwitter popular and managed to push his way into some industry parties and circles. He has a small fan base, but he has no actual clout.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Note this is not how journalism is supposed to work. You arenít supposed to wait for evidence to fall into your lap. You should like do stuff.

Oh yeah, definitely, but Vic's pretty much untouchable because of this:

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Anime is very much like gaming in that the vast majority of big journalism outlets have essentially been turned into industry press release distributors at this point, and very little actual journalism happens in the mainstream. The Pedantic Romantic did a really good video on this, but basically since industry sources will immediately cut you off the moment you piss them off nobody wants to risk upsetting them by running an exposŤ on some big name creep.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

AllmyFrench78 posted:

Okay, I know that the past few pages have been about hbomerguy, and I will say this: The charity that hbomerguy had on his DK64 stream is a badcharity. Here's proof: http://archive.li/wavYp Also if you want to have your son or daughter be trans let him or her choose don't force him into it, like most parents. In other news: New Red Letter Media video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GTklK82aaTE

what is your endgame here

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jet Force Gemini, all tribals

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Snake Rattle and Roll was a Rare game? Oh maaaaaan

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

hopeandjoy posted:

There's one and a mobile game that barely matters rn. Also, there's only one timeline.

The mobile game absolutely matters in the grand scheme, because it raises a bunch of question about time flows in general, since one of the characters in the series exists during the Keyblade War and the events of Birth By Sleep, despite those instances being 100 years apart.

e:

Motto posted:

maleficent from sleeping beauty and pete are a recurring ineffectual villain duo, so I guess everything prob has to get approved individually or something so they just stick to what already got the ok

Maleficent asking about "the box" seems to imply she's got a bigger thing happening now.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 29, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clerical Terrors posted:

Why is this a video game thread?

It's like one of two things internet reviewers talk about.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

SRWV lets you play as Shinji and Kaworu at the same time. It's actually quite impressive how they made EVA-13 terrifying in a completely different way to how the movies did it.

Also, ANN's article about Vic Mignogna being a creep has gone up.. The writers did some legit good journalism, but it feels like they're only really scratching the surface here. Going to be interesting if this inspires a few more folks to break through what seems to be a pretty obvious culture of silence.

Reading the decorum bullshit on ANN's forum reminds me of why I like this place so much.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Augus posted:

okay but actually being fun to play would be nice too don’t you think

Hold right, easily kill everything, no game overs, easy. What's not to like?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Anime Matsuri is a garbage organization that screws all of its guests, while being run by a sex pest and his apologist. Of course they'd go all in on Vic.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arist posted:

That's not what I mean. KH is ridiculous. It's fundamentally a very simple story, just with absurd complications every step of the way. It's about broad, simple emotions and conflicts between friends familiar to pretty much anyone, especially children. It has characters constantly repeating the same few nouns in almost every situation to the point that they become utterly meaningless. And it commits to this. It's sincere because it doesn't care if you think it's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roth posted:

Also I like that it's pretty devoid of creepy garbage. Aqua's probably the most horny on main design in the franchise, and even her costume is pretty tame.

Xemnas is an anagram for mansex.

Q.E.D.