Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Mr Phillby posted:

Kingdom Hearts just feels like the strangest possible execution of a good idea: a game where you visit various disney properties in a big fun cross over.

Except barely any disney characters interact with each other outside of their own worlds.
Also final fantasy guys are here too I guess?
And the story is heavily focused on it's own original overcomplicated mythology and characters that have nothing to do with either part of the cross over.

Like idgi.

The explanation is that there is an order to be maintained in every Disney world, which is why they can't be told about other worlds or anything that invades their own from the outside. Only Mickey and his subordinates know what's going on, and they're tasked with maintaining that order. The Square characters just kinda exist as set pieces; Hades uses some of them for his plans, the Gullwings are there but as bad fairies, and some grew up with Sora and crew on Destiny Island.

Don't think too hard about it, I guess. In reality, it's probably that Disney as a company has rules for these things, and Kingdom Hearts can't have Frozen characters meet Jack Sparrow because of policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kingdom Hearts became convoluted the moment they established, internally, that time travel would be a thing. Time travel ruins everything story.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

I may dislike Neptunia

how dare you

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

fallenturtle posted:

"Go woke, get broke".

Is there a tangible example of this literally anywhere?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Clerical Terrors posted:

When will they finally make an Isekai starring Youtubers?

I Entered a Parallel World Where Minorities Are Enslaved By My Ideal Utopian Ethnostate And I Couldn't Be Happier!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

The only isekai you need is Konosuba.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

When you think about it, Robotnik was pretty hosed up in that he managed to weaponize Sonic's own uncle against him. Like, the concept of turning your loved ones against you like that blew my mind as a child.

Beast Machines did the same thing, since Megatron took a fan favorite character in Silverbolt, had him brainwashed and put into a new unrelated robot, and then sent then to defeat his own former friends who knew it was him and had to struggle with whether or not they could fight him.

That's dark stuff.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain D owns.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Gnome de plume posted:

Looking forward to inevitable Reason For Divorce: "Bugged marriage mechanics. Nothing I could do."

Thanks, Kojima!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

What is everyone's opinions about the goon who admitted they locked themselves in the bathroom to cry after doing the genocide route in undertale because they "saw the monster" they became?

did you get the conquest ending in mk2/re;birth2

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

I will end you

I have my answer.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/carolynmichelle/status/1124760766765092864

I feel really weird when I see this like, praise for how Fortnite is ever-evolving and can make permanent changes to their world super quick and make it an event feels kind of tainted now that it's been documented what goes into that magic.

There are literally world-altering events that lead into expansions and sequels in MMOs. What are they on about? Hell, might not be the best example, but the transition from FF14 to FF14:ARR was an actual apocalypse tied into the game's lore. It is not exciting to see that Fortnite's only map got a crater in it at some point.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Darth Walrus posted:

So the ANN writer Lauren Orsini has been sharing 'anime origin stories', guest blog posts where fans talk about how they got into the fandom. Her co-worker Lynzee Loveridge just did her own, and it's, uh, pretty grim. Serious content warnings here, people, but it's probably going to be an important part of the fandom's post-Mignogna reckoning with its history of sheltering creepers.

This is horrifying, and I really need to gain a better understanding of why everyone around her just kinda accepted something so gross. That seems pretty common.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DoubleCakes posted:

Who the hell is Cirno and why did they screw up so bad dril had to come in and dunk on ya?

A literal nobody anime chud. Someone else tagged dril earlier for a different reason and welp.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I don't know a single person, young or old, that subs to Pewdiepie and isn't an insufferable chud or chud-adjacent.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

RareAcumen posted:

Use facerig and just be a shark or maybe a burger.

Or a talking copy of Trigger Warning.

I would watch the hell out of a leftist Vtuber.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Etika's community is extremely toxic, and they're basically his life. He needed some serious help away from the internet, but not like this. :(

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Fabricated posted:

The new Eva translation is more accurate to the script. Contextually, it fucks that scene up because yeah the whole point was Shinji experiencing someone expressing love for him for the first time. Localizer needed to read between the lines a bit more.

Also it's weird watching people get mad about this when the original dub/sub was utterly loving despised when it came out.

I'm so hosed up.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

I love this response.

https://twitter.com/lazyyyslugg/status/1143588817988984832?s=20

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

EndOfTheWorld posted:

The best "isekai" predate isekai as a concept: The Twelve Kingdoms, Escaflowne, hell even El Hazard.

actually, it's konosuba

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

nine-gear crow posted:

All the Koopa Kids are naked after musicians :ssh:

who isn't?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

PSA is fine to listen to. You won't agree with everything they say (and you shouldn't!), but they do some pretty good coverage and great interviews. They're all over the place in how left or center they are on certain policies, but it's not like listening to them is a 100% endorsement of everything they say or do.

ex. They're pretty left-wing on gun control policy and living wages, but they're really wishy-washy about the mechanics of M4A.

Takoluka fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 11, 2019

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Skippy McPants posted:

My understanding is that it's not just Nintendo and that music licensing in Japan is pretty crazy.

Due to stupid contract garbage from companies like avex, Nintendo wasn't even allowed to put half of Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE's songs on the CD that the LE came with. They had to put out a "sampler" instead.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

He'll claim it's bad then recommend gratuitously pedophilic shows without warning, so yeah. Only Made in Abyss was blatant enough to demand comment.

What has he recommended like that? He's always been openly against problematic content.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Like we've had the thread descend into poo poo before over this, but Monogatari is the biggest most obvious one.

I could see that.

But it's also kinda like saying Super Bunnyhop isn't kosher because he fanboys Metal Gear as a franchise, despite Paz and Quiet existing.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Re: Isekai

What's the consensus on The Saga of Tanya the Evil?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't know where to put this, but it turns out that noted video game composer Jeremy Soule is a rapist rear end in a top hat.
Natalie Lawhead: Calling Out My Rapist.

It's not an easy read, but more people need to keep calling out this reprehensible behaviour by manipulative fuckheads.

Edit: I guess this is the incident that Zoe Quinn tweet was referring to earlier? I kinda skimmed the thread and didn't follow up. Still, rapist composer jackass.

I like Jeremy's musical work, and I hope he falls into a meat grinder.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MechaX posted:

https://twitter.com/greg_doucette/status/1167524216931065856

Yeah, definitely thought as much; Chris Sabat sounded like he was doing his old-rear end DBZ voice takes

Greg's Threadnaught is worth following if you're willing to consume the drama. He constantly dunks on the Vicstans.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Max Wilco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsYLd_5sfl0 (Favorite bit: "What the fizzity-uck was that!?" "Let's fizzity-ucking find out!")

Also worth mentioning are Samurai Pizza Cats and Shin-chan, which were both shows where the dub team took massive liberties with the translation (and by that, I mean they just made up their own jokes). In the case of Samurai Pizza Cats, though, I think it was a result of the localization team not having received any decent notes or reference material for the original show, so they just decided to retool it.

For Pizza Cats, they didn't receive the master tapes, so they couldn't remove the dialogue and keep the music or vice versa. Rather than fighting it, they composed new music and then just decided to make a full parody.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kim Justice posted:

Well I sure hope I'm not the only one who's uneasy about the thread just going on as normal after a recent subject of it killed themselves

I mean, what's there to say? Anyone connected to him is now probably under heavy fire from Twitter chuds and trolls, and all we can do is sit back and watch chaos unfold. It's horribly depressing, and there's no solution to it.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain Invictus posted:

Also he said he wasn't going to Smashcon and then went to Smashcon dressed as spiderman the whole time, it's great, alpharad is a good boy

It is bizarre to me that Jacob somehow isn't a horrible chud being neck deep in video gaming and Smash of all things, but he's just a genuinely fun and goofy guy who doesn't have heated gamer moments and is entertaining as all hell. ERNIE GANG

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

get that OUT of my face posted:

Additionally, someone in the comment section said that Konami is trying to go back into video games as a result of Japanese regulators coming down harder on gambling. That sounds like gently caress Konami News fodder if there ever was one.

Konami owns sports clubs and actual gambling machines worldwide. They're not suffering, so they're not exactly trying to get back into gamers' good graces.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pachinko was a big earner for them in Japan, and that cash cow has been taken out back and shot with the new regulations. Iirc, what actually changed was proper for-money gambling was legalized somewhat, so people don't have to bother with pseudo-gambling like Pachinko anymore. They can go to real slot machines instead.

SNK Playmore went down the same path but came back hard with The King of Fighters XIV and all of their big ACA NeoGeo releases. Konami as a boardroom of olds in suits probably doesn't have a major interest in a big return to consoles, since they indeed have Yu-Gi-Oh in multiple forms (TCG, Duel Links, and console games), their entire music arcade game legacy, Pro Evolution Soccer, and classic compilations and re-releases. Like, the Rondo/SotN PS4 set probably cost 4 figures and a week to put together, and it easily made way more than they put into it. There's no good business reason to make a new AAA Silent Hill or Metal Gear except to cater to people who hate them, so they're not going to do it.

I just wish they'd let the Hudson crew out of their basement prison so we can get some more Bomberman titles.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

considering how godfuckinawful super bomberman r was, i'd prefer that series just stay dead and buried at this point.

Super Bomberman R is a good game, and the multiplayer is super fun, especially with the bullshit super abilities of characters like Pyramid Head Bomber and Solid Snake Bomber. I will stand by that!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i do not understand how anyone can possibly hold this opinion if they have played literally any other bomberman game. it fuckin sucks, like really goddam hard. i mean, they hosed it up so bad that somehow it fuckin launched with major input lag that made it completely unplayable.

I recently played it with friends, and we had a good enough time that we wanna play again! It's great!!!! And we've all played Saturn Bomberman and Bomberman 64. Do you have any other recommendations?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

always great when it takes multiple patches to make a game as simple and old as bomberman actually playable.

But enough about Tetris Ultimate!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Roth posted:

Why do these Steven Universe arguments usually involve somebody going "I don't watch the show, but I watched this video titled 'STEVEN UNIVERSE IS THE WORST GODDAMN poo poo ON THE PLANET AND REBECCA SUGAR SHOULD BE EXECUTED' and I now have opinions on it"?

This inconsequential show is not for me, and it makes me irrationally angry that it might be for somebody else!!!!

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Senerio posted:

I really should get around to watching and/or reading MHA. I liked the American version.

Fascist as heck.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

.hack//SIGN is written by the screenplay writer of the original Ghost in the Shell movie, which is why the story focuses so much on interpersonal relationships in a techno-space and what sort of psychological effects being trapped in a computer game would have on your psyche and persona. Mix that with Yuki Kajiura's love of the violin and the slow-panning landscape shots that were prevalent in Bee Train shows at the time (I'm looking at you, Noir and Avenger), and you are either super engaged in the series or are bored to tears by all the talking and slow development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Nuns with Guns posted:

which posters are the psycho protags and which ones are the catgirl slaves?

i'm basically the megumin of bad posting