Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Welcome to the Internet Critic Discussion Thread 4.0!
A new thread, and a new attempt to keep it civil.

Thread Rules:
  • Don't be a loving creep and pry into personal lives. They are not (meaningfully) public figures. This includes MST3K-ing Twitter meltdowns.
  • While 99.9% of us probably don't like Alt-Right, transphobic, homophobic or any other prejudice we can be prone to witchhunting, if there is proof of somebody being a shitheel feel free to share it; but we should slightly chill with grasping at straws.
  • If you need to discuss a specific work in-depth, take it to a separate thread. You can, of course, discuss a work a reviewer is reviewing, but let's not have 3 page hijacks on a single movie.
  • No gamergate. Ever. Don't talk about someone being a gamergater. Don't talk about gamergaters. Gamergate never happened. NOTHING PRODUCTIVE EVER COMES OUT OF THIS.
  • Don't start posting about posting, it's almost as bad as breaking the first three rules and throws the thread even more catastrophically off topic. If someone is being an rear end report it or come back in a few days.
  • Discussing events with a large scope like the CA blowout is fine, however don't go digging for extra drama or put blame on victims.

I got new rules, I count 'em:
  • Boogie is now a stale topic, only bring him up if something actually relevant happens.

So how about come content?!

Movies :

Red Letter Media – Review movies. These guys seem mostly insulated from the "internet critic community" so they go at a bit of a different angle, especially with their knowledge of cinematography.

Lindsay Ellis – Formerly known as Loose Canon, now working on various video essays mainly about films, their structure and a bunch of miscellaneous stuff.

Kyle Kallgren (aka Brows Held High) – Does in-depth reviews of what are generally called "arthouse films" (though he hates the term).

Allison Pregler (Movie Nights) – Hosts a semi-scripted review show about mostly schlocky movies, does the so called Manic-Episodes about various TV shows and the gift to humanityinsanity that is Baywatching. (Formerly known as Obscurus Lupa)

Phelous (Phelous.com) – Reviews movies, horror, animated features, knockoff toys and whatever else he finds amasing to share.

Jenny Nicholson – Tackles a verity of pop culture topics and movies in an endearingly deadpan absurdist (...and borderline insane) style.

Folding Ideas (Dan Olson) – Does in-depth analysis of films and film making theory, among other topics and weekly streams.

Movies with Mikey – Lovable doof talks about the movies he loves.

Wisecrack – Pop Philosophy on your favorite pop culture.

Ed Glaser (Neon Harbor) – Ed Glaser looks at movies very directly inspired by other more famous movies.

Renegade Cut – Leon Thomas analyzes the plot and various themes in a wide variety of movies.

Lessons From The Screenplay – Video essay series taking specific movies and breaking down how they'd be written.

Diamanda Hagan – She's Diamanda Hagan, and she has to live with that every day-- all while reviewing movies that no person in their right mind should watch (which makes her perfectly qualified).

TV, Animation and Anime :

No Small Parts – A youtube series about bit part and character actors.

SF Debris (Chuck Sonnenburg) – Reviews (mostly) Sci-Fi television episode by episode. Has a pretty good middle-ground between plot summary and plot analysis. Does voices for characters in a non-grating way.

Poparena – Reviews of books, movies, and TV shows from the 90s and 80s. His most notable series is his reviews of every single Animorphs book and TV episode in order from start to finish.

Bennet the Sage – Reviews anime OVAs, movies, and series of... dubious quality from years past with Anime Abandon.

Super Eyepatch Wolf – In depth recommendation videos on mainly anime but also games, films and comics. Will praise the good, but never one to blindly fanboy.

TeamFourStar Bento – From the people behind Dragon Ball Z Abridged and Hellsing Ultimate Abridged comes a variety of anime review shows, from the past (Saturday Morning Sushi) to the present (Anime FMK).

Gigguk – Anime nerd talking about currently running anime, is mildly self-aware.

Mother's Basement – An anime review show covering various films, shows and OVA series. Has something of an obsession with fixing SAO.

Suede – Anime reviewer focused primarily on reviewing the original Pokemon anime and its theatrical offshoots.

Videogames :

Kim Justice – All you ever wanted to know about British home gaming, British developers, classic games and micro computers.

Jim loving Sterling, Son (The Jimquisition) – Weekly Editorials on why the AAA gaming industry sucks and deep dives into the bowels of Steam. Has a healthy relationship with Boglins. Mild obsession with AAA videogame practices.

Errant Signal – Makes game criticism videos. And he is the first one to admit how pretentious that it sounds.

LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) – Charming content about the old days of videogames, the hardware it was played on and other things that catch his drift. Might be trying to make us all build a 386.

Ross Scott – He mostly does Machinima (notably Freeman's Mind), but also has a stellar show called Ross' Game Dungeon which is strikingly unlike most other game review shows. He picks more obscure games and just kind of... chills and talks about them for 30 minutes. Despite the way that sounds, they're well-edited, structured, and paced to boot!

Cinemassacre / Angry Video Game Nerd – Home of Board James, James & Mike Play, and the Angry Video Game Nerd.

Matthewmatosis – Breaks down and reviews video games. He's not huge on the cultural commentary, but he's shines at analyzing games on a more mechanical level. Can be strongheaded about subjective flaws.

Noah Caldwell-Gervais – Game analysis’ equivalent to a college professor lecturing a class. While traveling cross country in a VW Bus.

Innuendo Studios – Guy talking about video games in a socio-political context, recently seems to dabble more into full political videos.

TheGamingBritShow – British video game critic talks about his views on games.

Super Bunny Hop (George Weidman) – New games, old games, and extensive recaps of Metal Gear Solid plots. Also makes videos covering nerdy trips and occasional controversies.

Raycevick – Covers (older) videgames and does retrospectives on them. Presenting two series, "So I've Finally Played" and "Years Later". The former focuses on his initial impressions of various games, while the Years Later series are long form video retrospectives on several notable franchises, such as Halo or Mass Effect.

Ahoy – Months pass between new Ahoy videos, but when he releases one it's an event. Some of the most painstakingly crafted, highly researched and brilliantly made longform video content you will find on YouTube. Often concentrates on first-person shooters, known for his long videos on Polybius, Quake and Doom as well as the "Iconic Arms" series.

DJ Slope's Game Room – DJ Slope gave up a promising career as a DJ and Jackass-esque pain donkey on British TV (not a joke) to become a truly excellent reviewer and budding documentarian on YouTube. Known for his "Complete History" retro video game series, and "Kickscammers" where he goes into detail about some truly baffling attempts at crowdfunding.

History Respawned – Covers how well video games represent actual history.

Nostalgia Nerd – UK-based YouTuber who has a great love for old computers and a beautiful, dulcet tone from the Eastern counties. Known for making incredibly long labour of love Story documentaries about old computers like the Amiga and Atari ST, as well as "UK Thrifts".

Pushing Up Roses – Retro reviewer with a strong focus on point-and-clicks and other adventure titles. Also does the odd film review now and again, and is known for "Death In Video Games".

Gamehut – Formerly worked in the biz on things like Sonic3D and focuses a lot on "how we did this" programming things, informal entertainment.

Music :

Todd in the Shadows – Pop song reviews, retrospectives on one hit wonders and albums that changed a career for the worse. Also a pretty good piano player.

The Rap Critic – Reviews Hip-Hop and Rap music, also a pretty decent singer/rapper himself.

Sideways – Music nerd nerds out over music in the most hardcore way.

Comics and Manga :

Linkara (Atop the 4th wall) – Reviews (mostly superhero) comic books. He also has incredibly silly ongoing plots that he's making into a movie because of his Patreon. Nowadays his skits are no longer in the video, taking place before or after the actual content.

Weekly Manga Recap – Our hosts read manga (Japanese comics) from Weekly Shonen Jump (and a few from Crunchyroll) and give their thoughts on these chapters on a weekly basis.

Toys :

MMPR toys – Watch a couple formerly connected to the industry have way too much passion for Super Sentai and Power Rangers toys.

Thew Adams – Ever wanted to see a man talk about plastic toys for hours? Immensely watchable even for non-fans, sheer enthusiasm in video form.

Other media :

Nerdwriter – Covers all areas of media culture in weekly video essays, ranging from music, traditional art, comics, comedy, directing and so forth.

Maven of the Eventide (Elise Hansen) – Host of Vampire Reviews, the Maven of the Eventide looks at vampires as they appear in all sorts of media.

Rantasmo (Needs more Gay) – As the host of Needs More Gay, Rantasmo looks at the depiction of homosexual representation in media.

Old School Wrestling – The best wrestling content on YouTube. Lengthy, hilarious but superbly researched PPV review videos from Jay, OOC, and V1 - your favourite trio of riotous Irishmen.

State of the world / Politics :

Shaun – Self proclaimed "failed Let's Player" pokes fun at the Alt-Right and other cultural issues with research and deadpan delivery.

Hbomberguy – Confirmed Soyboy Harris Bombyman dissects the alt-right and its poorly thought-out ideas with actual researched facts and humour. He also reviews things.

Feminist Frequency – Literally tries to enslave and brainwash men by making harmless entry level feminist themed content about various media (mostly TV, Movies, and Video Games).

Contrapoints – Trans woman talks about problematic political topics. Gifted at creating characters to play. Believes in engaging with the enemy, with varied success.

Peter Coffin – Talks about how capitalism sucks and makes fun of commercials with his wife.

Philosophy Tube – A philosphy major teaches you all about philosophy so you don’t have to waste your time and money on expensive colleges.

The Great War – Hosted by Indy Neidell and a crew of historians. It covers the First World War week by week one hundred years later.

History Buffs – Our host analyses a movie's historical roots and how faithfully the movie conveys those events.

Other :

I Hate Everything – ...He hates everything, various topics and subjects.

Radio Dead Air (Nash and Tara) – A weekly web-based live internet radio show and home to the popular “What the gently caress is Wrong With You?” (WTFIWWY) segment.

Ashens – Reviews cheap thingsjunk found in British dollar stores and talks about micro computer games sometimes. Undeniably charming.

Jon Bois – Pretty Good videos about rarely told sport stories.

Tony Goldmark (Some Jerk With a Camera) – Just your everyday fella reviewing theme parks and related media, particularly Disney ones.

Ozzy Man Reviews – Aussie bloke talks about random internet videos/cultural events/fights/Game Of Thrones.

Nightmare Masterclass – Serious literature criticism of horror/surreal/spoopy stuff.

Brutal Moose – Chill reviewer who takes a look at things he likes. VHS tapes, old kids games, recipe books, frozen dinners, it's all good.

Regular Car Reviews – Gonzo reviews of regular, everyday cars, with the occasional crazy video about car shows, conventions, and straight-laced Q&As.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Apr 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

stillvisions posted:

Ten little Critics standin' in a line,
One had a twitter war and then there were nine;

Nine little Critics during gamergate,
One got harrassed and then there were eight.

Eight little Critics, dream job in heaven.
One had surgery and then there were seven;

Seven little Critics using camera tricks,
One got a Patreon and then there were six.

Six little Critics all posting live,
One investigated 8chan and then there were five;

Five little Critics on the basement floor,
One asked for water and then there were four.

Four little Critics on a filming spree,
One missed a video and then there were three;

Three little Critics doing what they do,
One heard nothing and then there were two

Two little Critics sitting in the sun,
One read the google doc and then there was one;

One little Critic livin' all alone,
He took all the revenue and then there were none.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 13, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Post away, onwards to 1000 new pages of drama.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Zedd I think you missed an opportunity with that thread title for "You Can (Not) Apologize".
That was almost exactly what I was going for, but I ran out of characters.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Alright that should be the OP outside of the food related content, ill format and put those in later.
If you see any glaring omissions or mistakes let me know.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

There might be a CA story being unveiled soon and I hope we can keep reactions civil until we know how the dice dropped. Cause if what I was told is true hooo boy.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

so what you're saying is there's worse stuff about ca we haven't heard yet?
Please do not go looking for the fire yet, but there is a lot of smoke building up yes.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Puppy Time posted:

While I definitely understand the urge to be happy about having potential drama, I feel like we should avoid this kind of "ooooh, there's mysterious MORE DRAMA!!!" just because it encourages speculation.

I'm happy to just sit and wait for the schadenfreude.
Yeah fair enough, Kinda stoking the fire I'm tying to keep unlit due to it being up in the air here.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'm sorry for alluding to it earlier but I had to vent it in some way, I just can't believe it.

Darth Walrus posted:

So lemme get this straight. Michaud and company get tipped off that one of their producers is an abusive, predatory creep. They sit on this for an entire year as more stories of him being an abusive, predatory creep trickle in. Eventually, a breaking point is hit, and they fire him without letting anyone else in Channel Awesome know why. A year later, he kills himself, and they decide to make the memorial to him a for-profit exercise and don’t tell any of their people who are helping with the memorial out of respect for their fallen friend that they might know why he committed suicide, and it’s because he’s a goddamned rapist. It only comes out years later when they poorly censor his name when releasing details of disciplinary action they’ve taken in order to push back against the idea that they are callous, controlling megalomaniacs.
Christ on a bike.
If it's true it's indeed hosed up on so many levels. I have no reason to doubt legitimacy atm .

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

FoldableHuman posted:

They have, to no one's surprise, already started digging into every nook and cranny, digging out every ancient innuendo or accusation, and using it to try and identify victims/hurt people in general. I have little doubt that by the time I get home tonight I'll have between a dozen and two hundred messages accusing me of all sorts of stuff simply by proximity. The self-contradicting narratives are already starting to brew, looking for a witch to hunt.
I made the mistake of looking at the CA subreddit and it's already filled with people blaming various content creators "being in the know", and surprise surprise mostly aimed at female ones.
Sometimes I hate everything about society.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

...yeah, I got nothing, this isn't funny.
It was like others said never really funny-funny, but at least it was good to see comeuppance, it's is escalating in horrible ways now. Both the revelation and the reactions, and it feels wrong to follow it honestly.
I'd share some of the horrible opinions I found, but I know some of the people those are aimed at read along and I don't want to confront them with (repeats of stuff they already deal with) it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I may be misremembering the details, but I think it was a mod challenge LK placed where a certain poster had to post ‘baba booey’ once a day for a month or be banned. One day, LK probated them, so they couldn’t meet their deadline. They PM’d ‘baba booey’ to LK as compensation, but LK didn’t accept it and banned them. The admins decided this was unreasonably vindictive, and demodded LK.

SA drama is loving bizarre.

Hey Lorne, I think you did a fine job and did not deserve to be de-modded. But in a way this is hilarious and petty so please don't sweat it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'd be happy to mod since I've been on SA for a while and have experience modding other things but I'm not fussed about it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Senerio posted:

So Blockbuster Buster released a video about leaving. Turns out he knew as little as Joe about this stuff because he generally stays off social media.

Also apparently the only one who would talk to him during his time there was Linkara, to the point where he found out about a bunch of the big events with the fans. (The one big event he was actually a part of was planned by Linkara).

Here's his video
I watched that video yesterday, I have to say that Erod has earned alot of respect from me because of it. It's really just a guy with a simple dream wanting to make people have fun. And Linkara keeps proving himself as a stand-up dude.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I don't want to the funpolice, especially considering Rule 2 of my own thread; but Guru Larry isn't 100% clean. I guess that's the best way to put his (actually) hilarious behaviour wrt being the last CA contributor and his other behaviour in the past.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'm glad we could keep the Larry stuff Civil while I was asleep, Apperently he went on ResetEra to clarify the position as well so we can just laugh at his trolling CA.

my parents boyfriend posted:

I've never posted myself in the thread because, well, I'm not incredible and I'm also not a critic but I do make a Something Awful history video every once in a while and I'd like to start doing it more often. I've covered Kevin Havens, David Hockey, and here's my latest video on Sonic in the Search for Love.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wpvoon27lAU#t=1s
This is cool tbh, I love SA History, it's such a bizarre development this site has gone through the years.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Oh hey that's really cool for you, good to see them recognizing talent.
Your fashion game is on point as always.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I think that's the link of the still-unlisted video meant for Patreons.
It was a very good, and sorta depressing, video though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

The Gundam SEED bud is worth it for Rau le Creuset.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Good voice acting is not enough to save that show.

I do have respect for Kira's English VA willingly getting kicked in the balls to replicate the Japanese VA's tortured crying scream.
The Japanese VA for Kira has to be the best person alive at emulating whalesounds.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

No machine gun for him, shoot him down!

BUTTZECHS!

But what about the proble with the Morbl Zoots!?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Well I woke up and saw 200 new posts, I'm "glad" it's just the usual arguing and not some terrible stuff being unveiled.

Roth posted:

It's so weird that she started out doing an abridged series style parody of MLP.
You mean her oddly captivating reboot pitch and the pony washing video's or something else?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

am I allowed to watch chris stuckmann's videos

he's not in the op so I assume he's like a serial murderer
My OP is just a summation of people that where suggested, not some end-all be-all cutoff list.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

For people who are bored by this conversation, Mark Brown has a Game Maker's Toolkit episode out.

\[T]/ Horse, But hole!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unrelated, but anyone remembers Crash Team Racing?

This guy seems cool (I'm subbed) and did a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8EF8UWh8ss

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I'm glad I took the effort to make this.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

After playing Mafia 3 I'm really starting to think that the push for non-linear open world has been a net negative. Mafia 3 would probably have been a lot better with a more linear world.
Not having played Mafia 3: Mafia 2 was obviously retrofitted into being way more open-world then intended so It seems they didn't learn from that.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I was under the impression it was the exact opposite. Mafia 2 started with a pretty full menu of open world Stuff, which then got sliced out and repackaged into DLC because 2K is the worst.
If I remember right we are both partially correct. Mafia 2 was opened-up to follow the trend of openworld games, and had to score big to make up for some other losses. When the game got closer to release they started chopping it up. I could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

Anyway Mafia 2 was fine, nice details, but disappointing overall.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Senerio posted:

The best tournament arc is Battle City, tho not the finals, just the main part leading up to the finals.
Teenage me really enjoyed that arc.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

For all his many flaws cancer is terrible and I wish him a good afterlife should it exist, and strength to his loved ones.
I lost my favourite aunt and my amazing uncle to cancer, and 4 other relatives are currently suffering from it. I'll never wish it on anybody.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I get checked for Leukaemia 3x a year due to Genetic Defunct™ so I 100% support people being aware of the risks and pain of cancer.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

A man died, his family lost a loved one. Can we not derail over it?

E: You know what, I'm going to buy a new bed right now and I think we can all sleep on this for a while.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 10:17 on May 25, 2018

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Nah it was petty of me and I got out of bed cranky, saw the poo poo and did it.
I bought my new bed now though.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I love terrible reality TV, currently hooked to the Dutch version of Ex on the Beach. The whole party/gig industry around the D-tier celebs that come from them is quite interesting and I know way too much about it. I'd have plenty to say about it but my """knowledge""" is mostly focussed around the local versions I'm afraid.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I saw an Idea on twitter (I think) last week that sounded like an awesome concept.
Part 1 of 1 : Media that planned set up a franchise and failed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

How about you all go whine about TB over in the GBS thread while we can talk about Baywatching? Mitch the undercover Mime is one of those things you think you'd forget about and yet when it came up in lupa's latest video it all came rushing back to me.
Both episodes of this batch of Baywatching have been wonderful.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Kim Justice posted:

And at the risk of bringing up ANOTHER potentially controversial personality but I really hope in a totally non-controversial way, drat has Boogie lost a lot of weight. Like really, he's doing super well
Losing weight is hard so good for him.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

Man, with how much people complain about Black Widow, you'd think she was Kratos with the Speedforce and the Time Stone.
At this point I was genuinely surprised he disliked her for being an empty character (which she sorta is) over straight misogamy.
And glad to see somebody else like Iron-Man 3, that movie is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Lightning Knight posted:

I’d say the real issue is that people confuse “Steam has lots of sales” for “Steam is good and our friend.” People, but especially gamers, really cannot wrap their brains around the notion that the consumer/corporate relationship is and must always be adversarial, and then they get all confused when corporations predictably gently caress them over.
For a while Valve was the goodguy w.r.t. Digital Distribution, not even because they where thay great, but because they sucked less then the rest.
Being generous they became too big too fast and couldn't handle it while keeping the company attitude intact, being less generous they capitalized on their USP and became the dominance they currently are.

From behind the scenes stuff it's not that the old passion isn't there any more, but it became drowned in the dozens of new voices in the company as it expanded.