Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honestly I don't post on RGD outside of this thread, but I though LK did a good job and, considering the content being discussed in the last week, the response to Mel's foray into the thread was handled alright. Things can absolutely get too tense in here, but from my experience lornekates has not been antagonistic and was trying to keep things civil.

:agreed:

Free lornekates, they did nothing wrong and it's lovely to look at a large post and go "wow this person is obviously insane" when they're just trying to be as accurate as possible to avoid causing new problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BobbyK posted:

Are there any internet review people who are not boring rear end white people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriconYObSo

This guy is pretty rad

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Noah's Farcry video is really really excellent if you have close to 3 hours to kill.

In retrospect, I guess it's obvious that Farcry 5 would chicken out from actually having you kill Republican militia, but the half assed way they dance around the Trump issue is extremely watered down corporate mandate.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I think it does come across, but fails in many of the ways that Noah describes. The whole adventure in the islands is particularly built to be an extension of the kind of extreme sports orientated vacation that people like the main character indulge but with everything becoming increasingly unhinged and off the rails as the protagonist indulges in ever greater heights of violent, masculine domination. The game makes it clear that the player character (and by extension you, the actual player) is getting more and more wound up in an extremely unhealthy journey of catharsis and self gratification and suggests as much by likening Brody's journey with that of Alice in Wonderland, drawing very, very strong parallels with Brody and Vaas and having Brody take a more and more hostile position towards the friends he's ostensibly saving.

There's a bit near the start of the game where you rescue one of your friends (your girlfriend I think actually) from a pirate stronghold and it's when the game makes it clear that Brody is starting to find the entire ordeal extremely enjoyable, laughing as he kills people and finding thrills in escaping an exploding building by the skin of your teeth, but all the while you have your girlfriend who you just saved reacting like an actual normal person (re: with terror) and she calls out Brody on treating the entire situation as a source of personal enjoyment. Later when you talk to her Brody says that he's loving the entire situation that she just wants to escape from since, as he puts it, he's 'winning', which really drove home to me that the game was very much aware of what was going on.

In addition, it does things like play Ride (not Rise, dammit) of the Valkyries when you are doing the helicopter gun mission and I'm pretty sure we're meant to think that Jason is hearing that song in his head because he's gone all war crazy. I also think that's another mission where you rescue a different friend who reacts like a normal person to everything Jason is doing (holy poo poo dude you got a big war boner right now, that's hosed up!)

It tried, bless its heart, it definitely tried to sell the message of "but isn't all this fun actually super bad?!?" but it didn't earn it.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 3, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

khwarezm posted:

The Hotline Miami games have something similar going on and pull it off with a lot more success imo.

Spec Ops: The Line is perhaps the ultimate form of this particular theme.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sexpig by night posted:

Yea that's the grift. He gets to say 'I'm in humanities' which is not a lie but because we straight don't teach humanities worth a drat in America his crowd assumes that means he's a master of all humanities topics. So when HE says we need to destroy the gender/racial studies and purge the arts of anyone who disagrees that the humble lobster is to be our totem it's actually good because he's ONE OF THEM.

God the lobster thing pisses me off so much.

I just want to shake him and scream "HUMANS AREN'T LOBSTERS" over and over and over. This appeal to the natural world is so loving dumb.

Lobsters don't use toilets either, JP, should we just start making GBS threads wherever again?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

this is also true and a completely expected result of treating coders as completely dispensible tools to be used up, burned out and thrown away since there's an endless stream of starry-eyed recent graduates that devs can snatch up at any time.

Turns out capitalism sucks in every possible way, who knew?!?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Many a True Nerd (who has some serious great content, I really enjoyed his "Kill Everyone in New Vegas" run videos) made a video that seems to basically be a direct response to Hbomb's Fallout 3 video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z8XHe2NoAE

I'm...skeptical...of the arguments I've heard so far, but it's interesting nonetheless and I just eat up this longform videogame analysis stuff because it's like crack cocaine to my weird brain.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

fallout 3 wasn't all that bad when it came out but new vegas just made it look like absolute poo poo. hbomb's video couldn't be more right.

Yea I'm like halfway though the video now and his arguments are not that convincing. Like he brings up the sweetroll thing in the tutorial as "wow look at all the choices the game gives you" but that's like one of the few times you have a bunch of choices, those moments are very rare throughout the game.

Everything else is just subjective preference for different environments/biomes/etc

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So super Bunny Hop has a new video on Nintendo Labo.
https://youtu.be/1h8_Pj2DRmQ

This was really neat and cool, though I wish he had gone more into how the early edutainment market was such a dumping ground of shovelware.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Leal posted:

I never read Fifty Shades cause books are for nerds, but is the line "You look like the crack whore" seriously in the book? What a charmer, suggesting that women that interest him look like crack whores.

The books are terribly awful. Christian is not just a rapist/sadist but also he's just an rear end in a top hat about EVERYTHING. He fights her about travel arrangements, what to eat, any phrase she says that doesn't sit right with him, the list goes on and on, and he's just a colossal dickbag to her and it's like this is supposed to be the ideal fantasy boyfriend?

I highly recommend Jenny Trout's breakdown of them, which Dan referenced in his amazing video:

http://jennytrout.com/?p=3208

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

50 Shades of Grey is super trash for a bunch of reasons, none of them being that it's a "women's book" or anything.

I didn't mean to imply that that was my problem with the book.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Christian Grey as the ideal boyfriend fantasy for a non-trivial number of women stops being strange when you remember that most people aren’t extremely woke or even aware of gender role propagation or that their preferences in that space are largely socially constructed rather than “natural.” If you grew up in a world that tells you as a woman that being submissive and available for men is the ideal and in return you get provided for, Grey represents a way to experience that vicariously while also being nominally “edgy” in a safe way. It’s an effective piece of reactionary fantasy in the same way Twilight is, I.e. it’s reinforcing social norms but it’s posturing as some taboo out there thing so people think they’re cool for taking part instead of just normal.

See also: “conservative is the new punk,” people who think “I will only have sex with someone in a committed relationship” is a sexual orientation, etc.

Sure, but you don't have to be woke to realize that getting into an argument with your boyfriend every 5 minutes doesn't sound like a fun and sexy fantasy time.

Like I get that certain people are into hardcore D/S stuff and being ordered around, but this isn't even that, he just loving argues with her about everything and it seems exhausting.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cosmonaut released the second part of his MCU rankings/review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUl7y9qNZqQ

This dude is definitely on my "Best YouTuber I Found in 2018" list

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dean of Swing posted:

They’ll launch another steam sale and everyone will forget about this entire affair.

I feel like the prevailing sentiment has shifted a bit on Steam sales because the last few have been pretty lackluster. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they still print money for Valve, but I think the hype machine is finally dying down a bit.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

:psyduck:

Like, I get he's trying to say "we can joke about racial stuff in a non-racist way" but there has to be a better phrasing than "racism can have a place in comedy."

Also I think that loving Avenue Q song about how we're all a little bit racist and isn't that cute and fun ended up backfiring hardcore.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought it was flawed in various ways but it wasnt that bad. i dont get the full hate.

It's insane and sadly I think a whole lot of it is driven by "a purple haired lady yelled at a man and that made me feel bad deep inside"

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

ehh. thats unfair. not all of the movies hatred is driven by chud bullshit. alot of themes and scenes didnt work well or were dumb as poo poo. holdo was fine but the whole conflict between her and poe felt kinda forced and dumb. plus the low speed chase thing.

Notice I didn't say "all" I said "a whole lot." I'm not calling everyone who hated the movie a chud, but there's definitely a chud side of the reaction and it's the people who freaked out about Purple Haired Laura Dern.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the problem with the discussion is the actual real issue with that scene skews close enough to that that it can get muddled as a single general opinion. And I do think, aside from a faulty setup, that the movie itself is quite good. The actual issue with the scene in question is with her keeping the crew in the dark on the plan serves no purpose. They are it for the Resistance, and it's a plan with a future that a despairing and desperate crew can get behind. As of the movie's setup, all anyone can otherwise see including the audience is that they are just going to run down the fuel tank with no plan at all. Maybe give the crew at least some kind of inference or instruction that there's an operation going, because apparently several people have tried to bail in escape pods already under the assumption there isn't one, and it causes a near-shipwide mutiny in the end under said general assumption of there being no plan :shrug:.

I 100% agree with this, it's absolutely manufactured drama at it's finest, but the complaints I'm hearing from the people who are claiming this movie "ruined Star Wars" aren't usually this detail oriented, they're just calling Laura Dern a stupid bitch.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's the same thing with ghostbusters. you had a load chud crowd hating it cuz it was women. but the movie was mediocre (and terrible when compared to the original) and pointing that out doesn't make one a chud.

Oh come on, Ghostbusters remake was a shitload worst than TLJ, they don't even deserve to be brought up in the same sentence.

One is an hours-long improv contest edited down into a "movie" and the other is an actual movie.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Mr.Radar posted:

Shut up about Star Wars, there's a new ContraPoints video :sparkles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1dJ8whOM8E

This is a great video, but you'll never get me to shut up about Star Wars. :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

Like yeah it's obviously not a great storytelling choice because of all the confusion it's caused, but I don't think anything is going to come from constantly arguing about it when we could be talking about why the heck all the critics are talking about TLJ now. Did they all get together at a party and decide to team up or something?

Someone mentioned that the Blu-ray just came out recently, that's probably why, since now you can get footage from the entire movie in high quality without dealing with :filez:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Our current philosophy in LP is kind of "LP is whatever you want it to be," assuming you put at least some kind of effort into it and can entertain people with it, even if you embarrass yourself slightly in the process.

A good philosophy, and I certainly somewhat embarrassed myself in the early parts of my LP thread with my amateur hour recording and editing mistakes but ultimately it worked out great and now I am immortal, thanks to the LP Archive.

Aliens, if you scan the LP Archive thousands of years from now, please recreate me from the later episodes and not the earliest ones, tia.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

To bring it back around to the thread topic, Retsupurae probably peaked with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0rfc5BY2F8

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Noah Gervais made a new video about Survival Strategy games! :toot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiQYjPdq_qI

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Retsupurae's best videos are their longplay commentaries on oldschool horror games like alone in the dark.

Their series on the Zapdramatic flash series is my personal favorite, because I remember playing all those games on Newgrounds back in the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt05eLs-Jno

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Roth posted:

This just reminds me of how weird it is how neo-nazis love Norse mythology.

A mythology where Thor crossdresses in order to sneak into a wedding to kill a giant, pretty much everything involving Loki in general, and the gods are portrayed as a bunch of paranoid wrecks that are trying to keep their inevitable end from happening as much as possible.

You're way overthinking it, they just like Vikings because they're trying to cargo cult masculinity and Vikings were big and strong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

The Star Wars side story movies really seem like they're leaning hard on the fanservice to appeal to traditional fans

It's weird to see this being said after TLJ was so divisive.

Like they clearly didn't lean that hard on fanservice for that film, if they had, it probably wouldn't have been such a giant shitshow of reactions.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Puppy Time posted:

I said side stories, bro. As opposed to the main story stuff like TFA and TLJ.

Totally missed that, apologies. And you're 100% right, the side stories have definitely leaned into the fanservice hardcore.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

If you did try to play through without a guide, chances are you'd probably miss a lot of stuff your first time through, like how you can return to the asylum, or some of the covenants (save for the Gravelord Servants, since you have to be on NG+ to join.)

In Joseph Anderson's DS1 videos, he mentions that he didn't even know how to access the DLC until his second playthrough because he intentionally played the first time totally blind.

Then he went online and saw people talking about all these extra bosses he missed :v:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

What do you think is the worst boss? Royal Rat Authority? Micolash? The Maneaters?

If by "worst" you mean "hardest and most unfair" it's the 3 NPC hunters you fight at once by the lamp in Yahar'gul.

At least they stay dead forever if you kill them because fighting all 3 at once is INSANELY hard.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

That is a cursed loving video and you will never get me to click on it.

They're so dumb/shallow when it comes to games stuff, I can't even imagine how hot their political takes are.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yardbomb posted:

Went to look at that game and man, so many of the top/featured reviews are "FUKKEN CENSORSHIP I DON'T EVEN LIKE VN'S BUT I BOUGHT THIS ON PRINCIPLE", like okay so now that you all totally stopped valve from doing that thing could there be some more reviews to the otherwise.

Late Stage Capitalism has led to this phenomenon where the only true political change individuals can meaningfully express is conspicuous consumption and it's loving us up really hard.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I have hated Extra Credits for a long time, but mostly due to the fact that they never actually cover the topic to any degree, they just raise the central question of their clickbait title and then go "Well, there's a lot we still need to learn!"

Also the really dumb chipmunk voice filter thing.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

It's going to suck hard, there won't be hardly any narrative and that's what I want from a Fallout game

Like, gently caress, these are supposed to be Role Playing Games, where you play a role and shape the story and all that jazz, and they've just are moving further and further away from that into just shooty mans action game.

Like it might be a great Division game or whatever, but that's loving not at all what I want from my Fallout games.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jimbot posted:

It's Bethesda narrative, so you won't be missing much.

Groovelord Neato posted:

give obsidian the license you hack frauds.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i dont disagree. the way they are making it sound is that there is still some of that. the servers have maybe a dozen or so people on or some poo poo.

Yea, but my point is that the "some of that" is going to be very bad because they're going to put all the focus on balancing multiplayer and making that part work (and monetizing the gently caress out of it, BTW), and the narrative is going to end up being an afterthought.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

christ, this dude has issues. how the gently caress does he make a couple thousand dollars per video.

Someone should show him Starcraft 1 and blow his mind when he hears "nuclear launch detected"

He's not nearly as insane in his videos as he is on Twitter. His video on The Big Bang Theory is actually pretty brilliant.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Solitair posted:

Yeah, I like both of the Big Bang Theory videos he did, but now that I know who made them I wish I didn't.

Yea that's basically how I feel now.

Further proof that Twitter is awful.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Dapper_Swindler posted:

this, the EA one felt artificial because it was "we divided a million bucks between three charities as tax rightoff and to look progressive now". i mean its fine but its kinda eh.

$1 million is the equivalent of pennies for them, as well, but it's a big number that impresses people in the abstract.

Corporate charity is bullshit. It's not going to lead to actually solving any problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

You mean E3 isn't just a time for me to work on my videogame styled stand up comedy routine at the expense of multi-million dollar companies?

lmao are you mad that people make jokes towards corporations?