Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Making me ashamed to feel the way that I do
?! When did Prime start doing upload content like this? I guess I'm really out of the loop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Maybe ACES didn't know what 'kayfabe' means, it's understandable, it's a weird word

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, now I remember where I've heard the name. She said some questionable stuff after the August Ames suicide.

EDIT: Oh wow, she actually literally said it, and that the replies are Russian bots:

eesh, and blegh

Lightning Knight posted:

imo anybody who makes six figures is rich, personally.

Barring a tidal wave of debt and/or children it's a level of real and basic financial comfort at the very least

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Conal Cochran posted:

Merlin's Movie Reviews are a surreal take (and possibly a commentary) on movie reviews. Though the later reviews do wuss out a bit by adding some text. I could explain it, but it's best if you just see for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN4eWZYxw34

How did you wind up being one of the four dozen people to initially see that video to pass it along in the first place?

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meh, he's one of those guys who only remembers the "nostalgic" franchises and doesn't know anything about the era, the context, the themes, the makers, etc. That is to say, someone without curiosity.

Well, based on the intro I read in the Amazon preview, the whole thing seems to be centered around what he and his contributors found personally influential as opposed to larger media trends. So yeah, you seem to be right. I can't speak to most of the post-2000 titles listed but the 70s to 90s entries seem to largely be "this is what we had at our local Camelot/Sam Goody/Suncoast when I was growing up" with some Saturday Anime on SciFi thrown in. But even with that in mind there are some real weird holes in the list, and apparently the early 80's didn't happen. I'm a little tempted to see what they have to say about Roujin Z, the least entertaining of all SciFi channel anime offerings, but not enough to spend any money.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

I was just talking about Kline here, I don't know enough to say about the others. I do know Sage at least puts a bit of research into his stuff, talking about context and behind the scenes stuff from time to time. Not in-depth, but at least the interest in the larger media is there.

At the very least one of his entries, Belladonna of Sadness, is about a 70s film that only in the past decade or so was released stateside in any form and seems like a pretty deep cut overall. There's also a clear line to be drawn from older series (namely Astro Boy, which the director of Belladonna also worked on) to it and beyond, so that's interesting. Never seen it myself though.

The majority of the list through the late 90's just strikes me as weird in a way that's barely even interesting to myself let alone anyone else. It's like a list curated to appeal to the nostalgia of 30-35+ year-old anime watchers who remember when selection sucked so you just sorta watched whatever you could find on VHS or cable. I guess that's not an inherently bad thing but from the title and the blurbs and most of the intro it's trying to sell itself as something a lot more comprehensive when what it is is a bunch of assuredly nice people talking about what they really liked on Cartoon Network when they were kids.

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Robert Denby posted:

Roujin Z is really good though? Its a fun satire, the mechanical designs are amazing, and its only like 80 minutes long.

I'll admit that I haven't seen it in what's gotta be well over 20 years, but I remember it as the only Saturday Anime film that I couldn't make it through a first time let alone a second.

e:

Libluini posted:

I love how this reads as if "losing a lot of weight" was a negative. :allears: Goons!

I thought it was to further the comparison to Gervais is all

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Karloff posted:

I watched his Looper review once and it got to the bit where he was complaining about "OMG, cars don't brake like that, unrealistic, bad movie", which made him seem like Cinemasins tier rubbish so I bailed. Looks like that wasn't a mistake on my part.

He has a really hard time suspending his disbelief to any real degree, even if he otherwise likes the film

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

I still say the reason Allison is good is because she actually loving likes movies, which is apparently impossible for YMS and people like that. Like no poo poo Cool Cat isn't good but it's also pretty funny and you don't have to be a dick about it

It had a great story, engaging characters, original storytelling, a tight plot, and didn't overstay its welcome. I haven't had this much fun watching a movie in months. This is easily a top-3 movie of the year for me and I'll I've already pre-ordered the Blu-Ray.

6/10

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

So, how long do you think it'll be until that Lord of the Rings sequel trilogy is made?

Once the Amazon show starts raking in more money than it could ever possibly deserve because there's more than enough of a consumer base to push the franchise forward towards ever-greater lengths than it ever should have reached

it's me, I'm the smug one

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

ricdesi posted:

When have RLM ever been "the Star Wars guys"? Mike and Rich constantly talk the other participants out of the conversation by comparing minute scenes in Z-grade movies to obscure episodes of Star Trek, they have way more of that going for them.

If you largely/entirely know them based on their prequel videos it's an easy assumption to make

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I mean he's also like a libertarian. And that's not even starting on the high pitched screaming he does instead of making jokes.

Jack? The only time I can remember him talking about economics he stated that he thinks that capitalism is fine but only if it's heavily and tightly regulated

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

ricdesi posted:

I can endlessly put Best of the Worst on loop and never get bored, but I've seen the Prequel reviews exactly twice in my life and I think I'm good with ever needing to watch them again.

BotW is easily my favorite part of their output. Stuff like Mike sincerely going to bat for the Geritol Follies is what makes that channel great

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Granted I don't have a timestamp/video because it was on a pre-rec stream, but I remember him mentioning it along with the time he said the fountainhead is his favourite film. Which is a whole other tin of beans.

That is all hearsay though, considering I don't know which vid it is.

The high pitched screaming I have endless evidence of. (Though that might be because he has young children and has just spent years making babies laugh like that and now is stuck)

I don't doubt your memory but, philosophically speaking, it doesn't at all jive with other things I've heard him say. And I'm pretty sure those films aren't really masterclasses in storytelling so hmmmm

As for the screaming, yeah, to me it's like Rich's laugh. Either you get used to it or you go insane

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Like I feel the need to remind people that my posts are not a recording of real events but a work of fiction. Works of fiction are fundamentally rhetorical, and if you start talking about the necessity of responding to my posts you might have been taken in by the rhetoric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adlai Stevenson
Mar 4, 2010

Anyone else watch Good Bad Flicks, specifically his Exploring series? His regular reviews are way too dry for me and some of that carries over to his more in depth videos but I like it when he gives a rundown of a film's production history in a 10-15 minute chunk.