Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Testekill posted:

Guru Larry posted another dumb game cancellations video. I'm phone posting so I can't link it but it's a fun watch as per usual. He doesn't make any Channel Awesome jokes sadly

Here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9K3bjziMiI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Junpei Hyde posted:

I volunteer myself as mod of rgd

Wow, and I thought openly volunteering was a disqualifier. :stare:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Lindsay and Jim Sterling are my favorites.

I want to say that I got to Lindsay's stuff through the gators, either directly or indirectly? When their thread got sent into D&D, I tried reading up about what the hell that was about, and they were either complaining about her directly or I got one of her videos recommended after I watched one of Anita's (which I never really got into). This was after she'd moved most of her stuff to Youtube, so I watched the back catalog, as well as the new stuff, and have been hooked ever since.

Jim I started watching around the same time, again probably showing up as a suggested video by Youtube when I was looking around at various horrible ess jay dubbya game reviewers.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

business hammocks posted:

Anita Sarkeesian’s stuff has gotten better since she ended her video series. Now she just fucks around on podcasts with two of her friends or Feminist Frequency coworkers and it’s pretty fun. Whoever blamed the director/producer she hired (who does Pop Culture Detective now) for making her poo poo stuffy and boring was right, it turns out.

Plus she cemented her status as a true comrade by dressing up like Emma Goldman and teaching the kids about anarchism.

Podcasts don't really appeal to me. :smith:

I was searching my Youtube history, and I think that I also ran into HBomb, whom I also like, through Anita.

Pushing Up Roses, meanwhile, I probably got recommended through various let's plays and such, so not everything goes back to the gators, I suppose.

My whole exposure to many of these things was backwards because of the years I spent effectively offline focusing on my PhD.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If her twitter thread wasn't convincing enough for you, I think the Three Act video she linked to is really worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0QO7YuKKdI

Her explanation of what a theory in film/culture studies here was where it finally clicked for me. The introduction to her The Whole Plate series, using Michael Bay's Transformers series as a canvas on which to paint the whole field of film studies, also goes into it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRXI__Wixas

Waffles Inc. posted:

Lindsay’s Ellis is absolutely more academically and authoritatively qualified than me in the area of film like, creation and technique. That said, the thing about art is that it’s all taste. People can jump up and down about any of the perceived technique issues of things they don’t like, but those things do not make a movie good or bad. For instance, What movies do you like that have technical or structural “flaws”? Does that matter to your enjoyment? Of course not.

This also goes into what I understood her to mean with that recurring reference to stereotypical low-information movie watchers - that she isn't trying to say that this level of analysis matters to most movie-goers. It doesn't have to matter to your own particular enjoyment. It can nevertheless be insightful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Dean of Swing posted:

It would be a conundrum. For the past billion years of evolution life has predicated on the central principle of "at some point you are not going to be around anymore". I can see how that would be an especially disconcerting thought for tech CEOs who's entire lives do not take that into account. Sometimes the only thing that makes the world bearable is the knowledge that the entire House of Saud will someday be worm food like the rest of us.

I don't know, Ibn Saud was such a slut that there are alternate heirs in the double-digits. It's a house with plenty of redundancies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

So does being a loving snob about popular media, or loudly and publicly shouting to everyone about how much you hate it, and proclaiming the "death of _________" on a regular basis.

Actually it's actually worse, because being like that takes active effort all the time, like you're choosing to be a pretentious oval office. Let people enjoy things, and if it's not your bag, just ignore it. It's not difficult.

It's hard to ignore when the actors involved are all on the talk show circuit and some of them host SNL, and yet more show up in commercial and promos on TV (because every channel has 2-5 superhero shows, most of them MCU) and you end up running into an obscene amount of ancillary things when you just want to watch goddamned Crazy Ex-Girlfriend and get entertained by bizarro SNL humor that doesn't have to do with goddamned superheros. It's not like I waste a lot of effort complaining about it, but it's extremely tiresome.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vagabundo posted:

Stop giving a poo poo. Seriously. I had this epiphany at the height of anti-Twilight sentiment, and I realised I didn't have an answer to "why do I care?"

I explained why I care. If you have any specific problems with my description, list them. Otherwise, how about you stop giving a poo poo about this argument about how everybody else should stop giving a poo poo?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Max Wilco posted:

I do.

Best kart racing game ever. Don't @ me. :colbert:

There's no @ing in Somethingawful.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Puppy Time posted:

Ryan Hollinger did a cool video about Are You Afraid of the Dark:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gxMkY90QGA

What accent is this?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Weldon Pemberton posted:

Northern Irish

Thanks!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's fitting that both a now tired meme and a now tired take are now converging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsxoiWu0i3k

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There was only one real Star Wars movie. Everything else is fanfic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hint: it was originally titled Star Wars.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Actually, I lied, this is the only Star Wars that's canon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGIM_yNzeUo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Am I reading this correctly in seeing them actually increasing video views during the same time-span?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is a weird way to go as most of the reviewers posted here cater to man child as their key demos

Nah.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well I mean they don’t believe that sure but it’s pretty obvious

I am pretty sure that you're incorrect.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Some idiot got a copyright strike because he took a full-length movie by MarzGurl and commented over it with his friends, and cannot for the life of him move on. This has been going on all afternoon. This is some kind of way of following the thread, it's hard to get all of it because he blocked or muted her or something.

https://twitter.com/OdieEsty/status/992526205273419778

Here's a partial screencap:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SteelMentor posted:

He's very good at saying a lot of words with the veneer of legitimacy while actually saying nothing of value, the perfect figure for the Alt-Right to champion. As Contra put in her video, he's fond off dancing around his actual positions and baiting people into either getting frustrated and dropping the point, or falling into a trap that he can use to impress the kind of idiots who'll upload the clips with JORDAN PETERSON ANALLY DESTROYS HYSTERICAL POSTMODERNIST as the title or some poo poo

So a lot like Kevin Williamson or Ross Douthat or that crazy George Mason economist, Robin Hanson. Just paragraphs and paragraphs or tweets upon tweets of plausible deniability in purple prose.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WampaLord posted:

God the lobster thing pisses me off so much.

I just want to shake him and scream "HUMANS AREN'T LOBSTERS" over and over and over. This appeal to the natural world is so loving dumb.

Lobsters don't use toilets either, JP, should we just start making GBS threads wherever again?

They're not far off

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Arcsquad12 posted:

Was Hbomb's latest video a reference to something or did he just lose his goddamn mind?

I thought the lack of hinge was part of the ongoing charm.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Big #mood lighting

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Is his voice being distorted or what?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Uhh.. why did you link me to a video that's 80% this other dude asking about THE JEWS and where Peterson is barely intelligible?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Because it’s the moment he realizes he’s cultivated an audience of literal nazis and then decides to placate them with some hosed compromise instead of telling them off or ordering them to kill themselves.

I apologize. I didn’t realize the nazi spoke for so long at the beginning of the clip.

That's great but I was specifically asking about his voice. I went ahead and looked for him on Youtube (RIP my viewing algorithm), and he doesn't sound all that Kermity, say, on Bill Maher.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I think a lot of it is the power of suggestion with the Kermit visual, but he does legit sound froggy when phlegmy. I don’t think the clip’s audio has been altered.

Fair enough. Also, now I know that Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn wrote an somewhat anti-semitic history of Jews in Russia, so that's my evening made. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
LOL

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Allison posted a twitter thread with a lot of positive things to say about a lot of internet personalities;
https://twitter.com/Obscurus_Lupa/status/994087591300431872

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the last kids` cartoon I watched was an episode of Gravity Falls, and while I love Kristen Schaal, that's not enough for me to continue watching a show targeted at children and have really strong opinions about it. Maybe when/if I have my own children and they get to TV-watching age.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Archer's animation is way less inspired, and I like watching that one. Reminds me that I'm a few seasons behind, I should try and catch up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sio posted:

I will always remember TB for the time he helpfully directed a GG hatemob my way. Wonderful man. RIP.

Veneration of the dead is absurd.

Hey, don't drag me into this.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Dan and Carrie are leaving Extra Credits to do their own thing. Will there be skeletons? Who knows?

https://twitter.com/ExtraCreditz/status/999341691315335174

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Stay classy, GBS:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Terrible Opinions posted:

I think a lot of it comes down to how easy it is for a higher quality fanfiction to just change the names and other obvious bits to make an original piece of fiction and not bother to keep it associated as fanfiction. Whereas even the highest quality mod will have difficulty disguising that it's built from another game's bones.

Leaving aside the fact that many quite distinct games get created with the same "bones" (namely, the engine), you have heard of Counter-Strike, right?

AriadneThread posted:

so lindsey ellis is doing something this summer with pbs??? https://www.facebook.com/GreatReadPBS/videos/210487532886808/
sounds pretty neat minus the whole 'facebook video' part

Great timing on that quarter-page ad for the next video hiding Lindsay's face, PBS! :mad:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
New Extra Credits narrator Matt off to a good start: Blockchain Games - Can Blockchain Technology be a Game Mechanic?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywvTIM_eOVI

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Alacron posted:

No one wants to hear your drat cat, Matt.

Other than that he's fine.

It's either that or hear yet another stupid paean to blockchain that fails to bring up a single thing that wouldn't be better done without blockchain. "I want items to have character. Instead of having a server with all the character items and allowing them to be provided to players when they need them, every single player needs to hold an encrypted ledger of everyone's character items! Also do some bitcoin mining for me kthx!"

I'll take the cat, thanks.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now to be fair, if this is anything like it was when Dan was running it, he might not be writing his own script. So I wouldn't go after him to bash him online and doxx him or whatever. It's just a sad introduction to a new host. :smith:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Sephyr posted:

Good point all. Dow the old host have his own channel/project up yet?

He's going to revamp his animation channel and do some more stuff. There's more information in the links I provided earlier in the thread.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/DanFloydPlus/status/1002416874066341888

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

khwarezm posted:

Jeez, a lot of people put out stuff on TLJ recently.

Lindsay has one out for patrons that's kind of about TLJ but moreso about fascploitation in the SW franchise.

It's good, you plebs will be able to watch it, too, in a couple of day.