Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

McCloud posted:

My bad, but maybe you should be a little less angry and take a time out, maybe grab a juice box and a snack

Zak S[mith] is a rapist and abuser who directly ruined the lives of people (many of whom were women and/or LGBTQ) on other subforums of this website as well as offsite, so maybe some annoyance is valid because you can't read and assumed a guy whose name is spelled differently is still somehow your holy saint of manchild fiction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Bonaventure posted:

he posted that in the middle of a discussion about Snyder and I had my Rolodex of famous rapists at another desk so I also assumed he was talking about Zach Snyder

I mean, googling aside I'm not going to argue either way on whether it's easy to confuse their names or not, but ending this on a "lol u mad" after being super wrong on a sensitive issue is pretty tacky.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

McCloud posted:

You do realize most people don't have an encyclopedic knowledge of internet celebrity sex pests, right? if you assume a person doesn't know who Zac S is, it's actually pretty normal to assume he's talking about Snyder when we're in the middle of a conversation about said person, instead of assuming there's an entirely different Zac S that is a rapist sex pest, cause that's a heck of a coincidence, and it's not like his post had contextual clues either. Like yeah it was a mistake on my part but maybe if he wasn't being needlessly antagonistic over a understandable mix-up I wouldn't have been so snarky.

In conclusion posting is a land of contrasts

If you're going to post

McCloud posted:

Also while i haven't read your effort post I feel comfortable saying you're wrong

with such conviction then I guess brace for blowback about being wrong on something because you didn't want to bother clicking the ? under another poster's name.

And you're still getting details wrong when you're calling him a "sex pest" because that's not the kind of abuse he does at all. And you're spelling his name wrong.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 22, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

I saw someone posted about Lindsay Ellis' new Aladdin video a bit back, by the way and I love it. I knew the most details of Disney violating the spirit of their agreement with Robin Williams, but I'm glad someone is doing their best to make more people in the world aware of how Michael Eisner tried to bribe his way back into Robin's good graces. The particular reason that didn't work is also amazing:

quote:

Disney attempted to assuage Williams by sending him a Pablo Picasso painting worth more than $1 million at the time, but this move failed to repair the damaged relationship, as the painting was a self-portrait of the artist as Vincent van Gogh which apparently really "clashed" with the Williams' wilder home decor.

If you want more demonstrations of Michael Eisner and Jeffrey Katzenberg being petty assholes (this time to each other), Defunctland's bits about the time Michael Eisner tried to snipe Jeffrey Katzenberg's GameWorks project while the Disney parks were in turmoil are a great watch. Most of it is in the second video, but you get a taste of the drama at the start of the first one, too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msbBGwXb9Zs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZQGtnEL2xs

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I feel like being a Disney fan must be such a fraught endeavor for anyone with research skills and curiosity.

Disney is pretty fascinating, but also super depressing because these guys spent large segments of their adult lives trading off being petty dicks to everyone and radically transforming Disney from a company on the brink of bankruptcy to the oppressive media presence we have today.

Defunctland also has a lot of good segments on "mature" rides and attractions (ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter, a teen dance club, Pleasure Island, etc.) Michael Eisner pushed into the theme parks because his teenage son told him Disney was for lame babies.

I think Lindsay recc'd it in a video before, but DisneyWar is a really cool deep dive into all the backstage drama during the 80s up through Michael Eisner's ousting in the early 2000s.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Max Wilco posted:

I remember reading that book several years ago. It is a very interesting read, especially on some of the different things Disney tried. One of the interesting things I remember reading about was how in the wake of the Lion King, Disney opened up a bunch of stores to sell merchandise, only for it to crash when people stopped caring about Lion King.

I forget if it was in DisneyWar or mentioned in one of the other Renaissance post-mortems, but there was a period when both The Lion King and Pocahontas were in development and all the executives were convinced Pocahontas was the better film and TLK was their B-project. Then The Lion King came out, and well...

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. the history of the company and its various failed endeavors as well as successes are fascinating. like they took comic book movies and made them a giant interconnected universe that builds off itself and then manage to cap off the 10 year plot line pretty well in a drat solid/good final and plan to set up even more stuff for the next "season". on top of that, most of the movies are fun and decent/good. some are even great. Star wars is less stable then the marvel brand but all the movies are at least decent.

meanwhile WB is loving up with both DC and harry potter.

The Star Wars movies have been a bit uneven, but by all indications the movies were secondary to the goal of milking the insane fanbase for merchandise for the rest of time. And also finally having an addition to their theme parks that would finally make people stop visiting The Wizard World of Harry Potter.

Roth posted:

ExtraTERRORestrial Encounter was probably the best thing they've ever made at a Disney park. It locks you in a dark room as it simulates a murderous alien creature breathing down your break and drooling on you.

I was 9 when I got on it, and it hosed me up hard.

ExtraTERRORestrial was awesome for sure. They even tried to find subtle ways to drive kids away from it by having an adorable little alien animatronic get tormented in the pre-show segment. Here's the Defunctland video on it, if anyone wanted to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGbF_lPWmEI

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 23, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

KLK was marketed and designed from beginning to end for adult men and I don't know why there's an argument that children deserve to watch the anime as some way of absolving it of catering to the [gross] tastes of adult men.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Arist posted:

Defunctland does really good work, been watching this and it's remarkably compelling.

If you like Defunctland's videos on the extinct theme park attractions, Yesterworld has more interesting ones to watch, too. His video on Beastly Kingdom is a great supplement to the Jenny Nicholson one on the Avatarland that was built in its place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJbNZmPiNmQ

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

I disagree with this tier list because while Bretonnia may wag its finger at female knights, it's still willing to give them a fair shake if they go off an atone with some badass knight questing. This should put it just below A Clockwork Orange in dystopias but above the View Askewniverse.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Pirate Jenny posted:

I do regret being so dismissive of the "Ender is Nazi apologia" argument--I do still find that particular argument and supporting evidence with regard to Ender and Card's intent authorial absurd, it's obvious that for a lot of people intent doesn't matter with regard to what Nazis find empowering.

The specific article and surrounding discourse about Card's intent for Ender's Game were reaching hard, but ultimately it is a book where an adult man set out to find the perfect way to write "oops I accidentally genocided!" as a story, and even if subsequent books do try to emphasize that it was bad and wrong, you're right that a lot of fascists will overlook that to get giddy at the genocide, or just outright side with the obvious bad guys like the Empire in Star Wars. Card's regressive political opinions already make him a beacon for those sorts of fans anyway, so that doesn't help the situation at all.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Leal posted:

Breaking news: Nazis partake in media and draw up on their own conclusions to further their own beliefs of the world, regardless of the creator's intent.

Card's personal views aligning with a lot of the same things they believe does invite people to scrutinize his intent, in this case. Nazis love to insert little references in normal-seeming discussions, so it's not surprising that people would come away thinking the work is suspect. And this is before we get into the ethics of writing a narrative that works to frame the instigators of the genocide as innocent actors, regardless of intent.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Pirate Jenny posted:

I think Ender's Game is a bad example of the satire paradox all around--yes, sometimes chuds do read intent where there is none, but the narrative of "oops I accidentally genocided and now I'm going to spend the rest of my life atoning for it" just does not appeal to real world fascists at all. They don't see themselves as perpetrators of genocide, or if they do, they don't see it as something to apologize for.

I wouldn't say that it's a satire paradox, like with Stephen Colbert, but even critical/deconstructive content that's not done for laughs will attract some rubes. Like all the random right wing people that somehow miss the Empire were the baddies in Star Wars, or the skinheads that thought Edward Norton's character in American History X was the coolest poo poo from watching the first 30 minutes of the movie. I do agree that Ender's Game is pretty firm that the entire incident was objectively wrong, and Ender spends the rest of his life atoning for it, and in my experience anyone that was super pumped about the twist hadn't read the book since middle school, either and missed or misremembered a lot of it, or didn't read any of the sequels that reiterate how bad the xenocide was.

Pirate Jenny posted:

I see this criticism from the left a lot, but it just doesn't have much in the way of real world application. The way genocide is explored in the book-- the fact that propaganda quite literally dehumanizes the buggers to the point where xenocide is not only justified but necessary by the humans, only for everyone to realize their error after the deed was done, is anathema to real world fascists. That sort of self-reflection is kind of the anti-Starship Troopers in that way, so SFF fascists tend not to like Ender in the way they do a lot of military space opera. So, yes, the plot does bend itself in a way to make the reader sympathetic to the guy who was (kinda) responsible for the xenocide, but not in a way that is useful or ideologically conforms to fascism.

What I meant was, more broadly, I wish I hadn't been so dismissive of explorations of what is/is Nazi apologia in general, or rather I should say, what is/isn't appealing to fascists. I do maintain that the original author who made that reach was ridiculous (and had a huge vendetta against Card, justified or not), but it didn't even occur to me to examine how the text might be appealing to real world fascists, because hey, it's 2013! It's Obama's America! Fascism's over! Wheeee!

Yeah, to be clear, I think the text supports that, at least at the time, the Card that wrote the early Ender books wasn't going for Hitler apologia. Card aging like fine cream has invited people to be more receptive to the original essay even when it jumps to kind of extreme conclusions, but also I don't blame people for being on their guard, especially right now. I know I got complacent in Obama's America, too, so I can't really fault anyone there.

That's not to say that some readings aren't wild misinterpretations though, like the previously mentioned "Steven Universe is Fascism!"... and man SU has it's own toxic subfandom that's like a microcosm of everything wrong with issuing a burn notice on a work of media because you can find something objectionable about it if you try.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

I like internet reviews. Have there been any good ones lately?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

nine-gear crow posted:

To this day I never quite got the rabid adoration for "THE MANNIS" that people exhibited, especially when everything about him pointed to him being on a bullet train to eventual self-destruction and generally an Awful Person. I think, much like Dany, Stannis on the show landed in the rough vicinity of where his arc was meant to conclude in the books, just on the same nose-dive trajectory.

But yeah, the show protested too much about Dany being a Good Person and didn't question her doing evil things to evil people until the last possible second and just railroaded her into being a monster when it otherwise looked like she was actually going to win the heavenly coin flip. But Dany going bonkers in and of itself is probably the least of Season 8's issues in the grand scheme of things.

I know when GoT first started, D&D said they had the endings for the main characters spoiled to them by GRRM "just in case" he hadn't finished the books by then.

Did they ever specify how much detail GRRM gave them, who was included in the spoiling, or if they committed to those endings in the face of fans guessing what was going to happen years before the show started?

I was wondering because of all characters, Dany was definitely left in the most precarious spot, characterization-wise, with the end of book 5. Her plotline the entire book was her debating if she was truly going insane or if it was her deep-rooted personal anxieties manifesting themselves; in addition, she was also just to coming to the realization that going around topping established power structures with dragon barbecues when you don't have a long-term plan for the aftermath actually turns to poo poo fast, even if you're doing it for reasons you've self-justified as benevolent. Of all the character endings in the show, the exact execution of Dany's reads the most like a dive for the sake of a cynical twist than anything you'd expect or that GRRM would've wanted for the character, even if he did plan for her to die in some way by the end.

And then you have, like Lindsay and Angelina said, the very indulgent fanservice of CLEGANEBOWL that flies in the face of all prior characterization or the logic of the book-established trajectories for the characters. As much fun as it was to have Sandor around to drop catty (doggy?) remarks for longer, his ending on Quiet Isle was exactly what it should have been.

Stannis was absolutely going to smack face first into a brick wall and self-destruct the whole time though, and thank god for that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They might have said more in the past few years but this is the most direct thing I've seen from them.

I assume they're talking about Mad Queen Dany.

Neat! Don't know if I'd call the origin story of Hodor a massive "holy poo poo!" moment, but okay. Stannis sacrificing Shireen was shocking but not out-of-line with how poo poo was going for him. I'm still a going to hold off being confident that Dany going kill-crazy was planned the whole time unless they've said anything else, given how many weird twists there were in season 7/8.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

GrandpaPants posted:

It opens up a lot of questions about the full extent of Bran's powers and the potential that it opens up that the show of course just ignores almost immediately afterwards.

The only thing done dirtier than the Stark kids' warg powers in the show was Dorne.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh yeah. i just felt was kinda rushed at the end. i personally felt like the show did him dirty at times because i prefer the book stannis, but he was hosed either way and i liked his death in the show.

Stannis was one of the first casualties (lol) of running out of book material right when it mattered, I think. So much of his characterization relied on him trading more and more of his soul to the devil for a chance at winning, but being unwilling to compromise on anything else. The endpoint of his plot being that everyone abandoned him after he has burned his only child alive and dying in an ignoble battle "works" and if that is how The Winds of Winter is going to play out, it'd be fine. But the book will have a lot more time to build up to that point and possibly even from multiple perspectives since both Theon and Asha/Yara will be in his POV vicinity if things go down.

Evidently, the showrunners had that endpoint down in their notes, but like you said and as Lindsay's video points out for many other characters, GoT Stannis wasn't Book Stannis, and D&D didn't seem interested in considering how the changes in the adaption would alter the trajectory or pacing of his character in the tv show.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Arcsquad12 posted:

Stannis's fight with Ramsay has a lot more going on in the books thanks to all the other northern plotlines intertwining in Dance with Dragons. Wyman Manderly needs his time to shine, not getting all his cool poo poo omitted or given to other people.

Wyman Manderly's Frey Pies and the delight he had in everyone eating them at the wedding was amazing, and the equivalent scene in the show was such a letdown by comparison.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

RareAcumen posted:

Is that the first sign of Tyrion's character starting to slide towards being garbage or is it officially showing that he's been made worse compared to the book? I have no idea what the differences are, aside from y'know, Jon Snow isn't like 11 in the show. Stuff like that.

2011-2016 are seasons 1-6 of the show, so she's saying that Tyrion's character slid down the ramp and into the trash incinerator after that point. The bit where Tyrion slaps Joffrey was... I want to say season 2, right after Joffrey was hit with some poo while walking through King's Landing and started a riot that almost killed them all, and brought Sansa really close to being raped. It was well-justified action and a biting quip that was a large part of why Joffrey tried to have Tyrion killed at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jul 2, 2019

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

DeafNote posted:

God what did Tyrion even do in the book4/5?
Nothing at all that I can find worth remembering.

He did it with an ex-nun and drank her breastmilk while thinking a lot about "wherever whores go".

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Someone should have sat down with him and had him edit down AFFC+ADwD into one good book. But at that point the series was too successful for them to want him to write fewer books.

It was originally going to be one book with a timeskip to get the plot in the right place, but then GRRM realized that too much was glossed over in the timeskip and he was writing too many flashbacks. Then when he switched to writing all the way through it, he hit snags on exactly how to push characters where they needed to go. He kept referring to "The Myreeneese Knot" in his LiveJournal updates, so most likely Essos has been as much of a clusterfuck for him to resolve as it has been to read.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

HBomberguy's also wrong about fair play mysteries in his video too. Lots of Sherlock Holmes stories are completely unsolvable by a reader (again, The Speckled Band). You can debate about whether that's a good aspect to keep but it's always been there.

Yeah, there wasn't really an expectation that the mysteries should be fair or solvable by the reader in detective fiction at the time. A lot of early stories, like most of the Holmes mysteries and Poe's short stories before that, relied on ridiculous pseudo-science twists or the detective straight up not revealing clues to surprise readers. The whodunnit aspect of the mystery was firmly cemented in with Agatha Christie and other Golden Age writers in the 1930s and 40s.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Yesterworld put up a fascinating video on the background influence Jungle Emperor Leo/Kimba the White Lion had on The Lion King:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI-LNKZy3tY

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Without money driving a system of attention, notoriety would likely look very different. I donít know that the people harassing Contrapoints or Jenny Nicholson (or anyone we talk about here) admire them exactly, or strive to emulate them as premodern people did for their heroes, as much as they need them to fill a void created by modern life and feel entitled to have them do what they want.

Honestly, if I had a richer personal life and didnít devote so many of my waking hours to work, I would probably post less and not watch as much youtube, or enjoy it as much.

A lot of the stalking is based on toxic fetishism and male entitlement towards women, so you'll need to topple the patriarchy with capitalism to remove most of those harassers from the equation.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dawgstar posted:

Which is before they decided that having a Batgirl period who wasn't Babs would just 'confuse' readers or something. Then decided that giving Cassandra the Black Bat identity and having Steph be Spoiler again would also be terrible and wished sent into another dimension. (I, perhaps rashly, blame Dan DiDio.)

If it helps, they've both been quietly slotted back into the Batverse in the past few years, but last time I checked they were still making Cass go by "Orphan", which is possibly the dumbest name possible to throw her under.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, Barbara's out of the wheelchair because they decided she should be The One True Batgirl again when DC did a big reboot. I'm not even personally sure how it happened.

They retconned it so that after she was paralyzed by the Joker in The Killing Joke, she got a cyber augment in her spine that made her legs work again. It makes sense, guess, in that it was contrived how she couldn't recover before. But it also meant dropping her standalone superhero identity for the one she'd grown past decades ago and eliminating two perfectly serviceable Batgirls that came after.

It'd be like rolling Dick Grayson back to being Robin because that's certainly his most iconic state, but DC was fine leaving all the Robins intact and identical to their pre-reboot selves.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Leal posted:

It was a series who was infamous for its (pre)sequels that was bought up by a company notorious for going "but what happens after happily ever after?" and making 5 sequels to a movie.

Are you confusing Disney with DreamWorks here? Even counting Pixar movies, Disney is very careful about what it sequelizes in full movies, especially after all the DTV trash from the late Eisner era. It's fine milking a cash cow when it finds one, particularly for merch, but we're only just now getting a second Frozen for a reason (the reason is merchandise sales falling off.)

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Leal posted:

I mean Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast and so on. Didn't feel like those needed sequels.

Also I agree with Mike, we need more Knights of the Old Republic. Exile meets Revan when, Disney?

One of the Cinderella movies is more of a rewrite/recon of the original movie and the Beauty and the Beast one is a midquel, not a sequel, but no they didn't need more films. All three were part of the trash DTV period I mentioned, and Disney seems content to let people forget about them. They realized it's better to repackage comfortable images from your childhood in the live action remakes and embed those same images in new generations of children merchandise-buyers, with the occasional sequel to keep interest going. And Star Wars is nothing if not a big merchandise-making GBS threads machine.

This is all a lot of words to say we live in a world where you can buy the chance dice from The Phantom Menace at a theme park in between slamming blue milks.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

You ever feel the urge to walk down the main street of your local town in broad daylight, grabbing random passerby and screaming "It's a small cube with three red sides and three blue sides!" before they sedate you?

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Sarcopenia posted:

It's easier to find Disney movies that don't have straight to dvd sequels/prequels than not.
The Mulan sequel is probably the most baffling sequel Disney has ever made. The entire movie centers around marriages but it's totally cool because non of them end up being arranged marriages!

Hey Pop Arena, thanks for recommending that Magical Girl retrospective on twitter.

I never disputed there weren't sequels? I was saying that Disney found other ways to make eternal profits off of animated movies that means they only have to crank out a sequel to them every 5-10 years. They don't have to worry about actors aging out of animated roles or getting tired of all the filming the same way as live action stuff.

Disney didn't buy Star Wars with the primary goal of churning out 5 or 10 or 50 movie sequels. They bought it so they could resuscitate the brand and integrate it and all its tertiary material into a constant source of merchandising revenue, just like the MCU. When the bubble finally bursts on either franchise's movies, they'll let them lie fallow for a few years and come back with a "triumphant reboot" until the heat death of the universe. They'll still be selling Star Wars poo poo in stores the whole time.

Also the most baffling sequel is either The Hunchback of Notre Dame II (because we really needed a plot about Quasimodo finding a girlfriend?) or Pocahontas II just for thinking they should make a Pocahontas sequel where they do an offensively vague impression of her time in England.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

get that OUT of my face posted:

I can see the bottom falling out of Star Wars pretty quickly, to the point where it could be a footnote in Disney's ever-growing catalog of IPs in a few years. It seems to resonate far less with kids these days than Marvel does. I'd go as far as to say the main audience for new Star Wars movies are millennials and Gen X, and it feels like it has a bigger following among the latter generation because we grew up with the prequels and increasingly CGI-filled redos of the classic trilogy, followed by years of critiques telling us how bad those were.

Also, Marvel has a treasure trove of storylines and characters to mine. While it's possible to make a Star Wars story that isn't the usual, it's hard. And they're not going to go to the extended universe because those have been declared to be non-canonical.

Star Wars does have some built in limitations that I think the EU was running up against (ie needing to contrive another major conflict for the story to revolve around so that the "Wars" in the franchise title makes sense). And I do wonder if Disney has any long term plans for how to diversity the potential stories that could spin out of it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Did the incident where some people tried to do a "competitive" Dungeons and Dragons tournament stream get talked about in here?

When they were to hyping it up they announced a "special internet celebrity" would be participating and tadaaa... It's Boogie!!

The next day they announced that he was removed from the competitors after all the "feedback" they'd gotten, and the tournament itself was a forgettable attempt to make D&D into a DOTA-like pvp arena, but that was an amusing moment.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

It's probably fine to chat here but yeah SA has no way to stop psychopaths from buying accounts to lurk or even drop a bit extra to search for certain words or phrases to comb the forums for discussion they can repost elsewhere. Other subforums have had persistent stalkers that do that and it is a constant uncomfortable thing to keep in mind.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Annointed posted:

All I'm relearning from this thread is that Cinema Discusso Troll posters are actually horrible people sans H Bomberguy. Like wasn't there reveal that Super Mecha Godzilla was some creep as well?

SMG defended Armond White when White was perpetuating the right wing conspiracy theory that the survivors of the Parkland High School mass shooting were "crisis actors", and historically has done similar things when Zizek has said distasteful stuff about social justice issues or minorities. He has some reflex where he can't just admit he likes some points media critics raise while disagreeing with other political takes they have or admitting he hasn't read that portion of their writing and can't/shouldn't weigh in on it.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

I don't think we need to recount the many and ill-omened crimes of a snooty Finnish librarian again

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

poparena posted:

Just put up a Nick Knacks double feature on the first two animated shows to appear on Nickelodeon. First is Belle and Sebastian, a Japanese anime based on a French tv show about a boy and his dog crossing the European countryside. Then, Danger Mouse, the adventures of Britain's best mouse secret agent.

Your namedrop of the Littl' Bits at the end of the Belle and Sebastian video made me realize I had part of that show's intro theme embedded in my psyche, and for years I thought I was badly misremembering something from David the Gnome, so thank you for that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but thats not the point of those movies and never would have been. like i dont disagree with his point, its just weird to get mad at with lovely disney remake.

He states frequently in the video that he knows it is not in Dinsey's interest to critique or do any rigorous examination of capitalism. His point is that Disney makes sure that any plot point that puts capitalism in a negative light is framed around capitalism working, but being ruined by "a few bad apples", and that the point of these movies isn't to critique the original properties but to defend them while inserting wildly conservative faux-progressive tokens as a way of updating the properties to the times with minimal risk to Disney's brand or their IPs.

His "don't come to me demanding my answers" comment in the video is a bit obnoxious, but it's also loving youtube, and anyone who runs in screaming "debate meeee!" isn't seeking productive discourse on how to dismantle capitalism or otherwise planning on arguing in good faith anyway, so I don't blame him for telling them to gently caress off in so many words.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Sometimes superhero movies and cartoons make me mad and I shake my fist at the heavens that allowed them to be created

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Hemingway To Go! posted:

turned the video off after 20 seconds, not just because of the lovely meme faces or the character with the communism shirt we're supposed to hate

but you know that Umbrella Academy video I posted from the female critic I posted? I watched one other video from her to see if she was cool and I could post her, even though the video was about this "youtube animation criticism scene" I was completely unfamiliar with

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dduKJPxnAYk

And those 20 seconds of that 12 minute "funny parody" video is everything Quinn takes down, everything that had me reeling from how toxic it was. The criticism scene is poo poo. It's a bunch of people using tactics similar to comicsgate chuds and not understanding why people like empathy or relatable stories. Parody character going "Hi I'm an INTROVERT HURR HURR HURR" because you know introverts shouldn't talk about themsleves or try to seek an understanding with others, they aren't people. gently caress off.

The Slime Rancher footage in this is very soothing.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

She has a mode of conduct against her enemies that is brutal and she's not going to change. The show does build that up. It's just that people thought it was to make Dany look cool rather than foreshadowing and making a statement.

The problem is that the show and showrunners framed her actions as "cool" and all the other popular characters do equally monstrous things at least once that are also framed as "cool" against equally despicable targets, except for Brienne I guess. Poor Brienne...

But nobody is side-eyeing Sansa like "Woah man she fed a guy to his own dogs! She's a ticking time bomb!" It's a hack job to get Dany in the position they wanted her in for the ending that's blatant enough for most viewers to perceive, so naturally a lot of people are annoyed by it. It's also emblematic of the problems in the later seasons: the logic breaks down both on an in-universe level but also a meta narrative level because it lacks the necessary foundation to work. So it's an easy point to hammer on if you're critiquing the show as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

....?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sure but i guess i come from it from personal where my girlfriend legit loudly cheered at ramsay getting ripped apart because to put it nicely, her ex was VERY much like him and worse in some ways and he did some really awful poo poo. so while i agree they did sansa dirty bad, so i don't hate that scene.

Yeah but that's not really any different than Dany's cold satisfaction at her own abuser getting molten gold dumped on his head, except some people are pointing to that one as early foreshadowing of her madness.

Getting some visceral glee out of the shittiest characters getting some graphic onscreen comeuppance was half the fun of the show. (See also: all those reaction video compilations of the Purple Wedding scene.)

The show can turn around and tut-tut that enjoyment at the end, sure, but it also keeps switching hiding behind modern moral concerns and "historical accuracy" whenever it's convenient so clearly the D&D didn't really care to make a coherent point with the resolution.

...So who's excited for Star Wars?