Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

It's annoying and Eddie Redmayne sucks.

I don't really know what else there is to say about Jupiter Ascending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

This has something that has always been on my mind when it came to internet critics. If you decided to do this as a full-time job, you'd have to figure somewhere down the line you'd stop doing it (willingly or not) down the line. That's a rather big gap to put on your resume.

Like, generously, there's some way you can explain what you did in terms of work experience, but I imagine it would be awkward to have had an online presence of "I used other people's work to basically MST3K it on the internet for a decade" for a potential employer.

'As a self-made Entrepreneur I wrote, acted, shot and edited media entertainment for an audience of hundreds of thousands' with added bonuses if you're big such as 'I managed employees'.

I mean, in an age where 'influencer' is an actual profession it's not that out there anymore.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Ah, I didn't actually read the username. :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Most other people who make videos build actual production + editing skills also, in addition to the suite of performance skills they typically end up with by continually growing and challenging themselves. Doug is like the ultimate cautionary tale there.

Yeah, like most people actually develop their craft.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Comstar posted:

And this the week The Nostalgia Critic left Channel Awesome (and is suing for the name)

Wait when did this development happen

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

business hammocks posted:

Bad news about massive damage to the biosphere, I’m afraid. The next thousand years are going to be a lot rougher on the human race than the last thousand. Global warming is going to be our crucible and probably our next bottleneck. The water wars are really going to wreck up our technological progress.

India and Pakistan :suspense:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

Haven't seen Hbomb's video yet but I swear, if the thesis is 'Actually the Star Wars Prequels are good' I'll scream.

Hbomb would actually rather put his little buddy on camera than commit the internet kamikazi that would be mounting an honest defense of the prequels.

Seriously though, how many years ago did he promise to make that video? :v:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Fun fact: the guy who wrote The Book of Henry is best friends with Jordan Peterson.

The guy who wrote The Book of Henry has friends???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fabricated posted:

My memory is a bit fuzzy but:

A movie that seems to be one of those quirk kids movies but is instead insane. A kinda ditzy mom has a super brain genius son who basically runs their household (like in a good way, he's nice and does their finances and helps his mom. ...the mom is really portrayed as being really not on the ball). He gets sick, kinda realizes he's gonna die, then writes up a book of stuff for his mom to do, then dies.

This includes an elaborate murder plan for her to kill the abusive stepfather of a girl he likes because he's pretty much 100% sure he's molesting/beating her.

It's way worse than that, I'm gonna re-post Dan's run-through of the film from earlier on the page so that no one misses the jump down the rabbit-hole that is this movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Naomi Watts??? What about Dean Norris, I swear the man is cursed to forever star in bad shows and movies.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

sponges posted:

I tried to play the original Fallout games and that poo poo is utterly unplayable unless you played it as a youth.

The gameplay systems are unforgivable garbage sadly (this applies for basically every isometric game of that era, they're all un-intuitive and in general a chore to play).

The Fallout 3 video has some spectacular cherry-picking in its run-through of the opening and for some reason he's quoting Hbombs arguments almost verbatim while carefully dodging around actually adressing them. I just don't know what the point of this video is. :psyduck:

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:52 on May 16, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All hail Contra.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I think an issue with a lot of shows nowadays is that they're animated in Flash (or something similar)

That's because it's all vector-art with backgrounds. It's virtually the artistic end-point of Newground flash animation.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, to be fair to Flash, there are some great looking things being made in actual literal Adobe Flash.

https://giant.gfycat.com/GiantFavorableBushbaby.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/UnhappyFearlessAfricangroundhornbill.webm

I think the first is CGI and the second is hand-drawn though. The cartoons being discussed are all really simplistic vector-art. It's not a software thing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Christian's incessant whining is by far the most realistic part about the entire franchise.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

The thing that struck me with Dan's video was just how much creative veto control EL James managed to maintain over the 50 Shades adaptations. Like usually whenever I heard about movie adaptations of books, the author generally had little to no say in what adaptational choices the film makes made. Did she just have a drat good contract lawyer who made sure she held onto those rights, or is this a new thing in movie rights contracts?

Because I seem to recall Suzanne Collins had a lot of input and control over the adaptation of the Hunger Games series, though the key difference being she is an actually talented storyteller, didn't argue with the film makes like James did, and a lot of her suggested changes (like making Effie an active member of the rebellion) actually improved the story.

I think it was a combination of them underestimating the harm she could do in combination with needing the deal to go through quickly (5 million was a bargain price all things considered).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Andrast posted:

Wait, other countries have unskippable ads on youtube?

I have literally never seen one of those in Finland.

Dude get an ad-blocker already.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

On the topic of portrayals of sex in games, David Cage's really weird way to portray sex in Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain becomes weirder when you see SGF playing through his original big game Omikron which puts it all in context. The game has the protagonist rape someone within the literal first hour, and David Cage is so out of touch as a writer that he literally doesn't understand that what he wrote was a rape-scene. For him it's a just a sex-scenario for the player and the woman is just a prop. Juvenile is the correct way to describe it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Redlettermedia just dropped a video for the Jurassic World sequel which ended up immediately being taken down for.... Fraud?

What?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

4 Statements the Traditional Narrative gets WRONG about WW2 German and Italian Divisions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3RGtIpjvvw

:siren: :hitler: HITLER DID NOTHING WRONG!!!* :hitler: :siren:

*as far as his generals blaming him for their own fuckups and failures after the fact that is.

I feel like I've seen another Youtuber do this take better already, but I can't remember which.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Did not expect that last-second twist.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

bessantj posted:

Yeah, I left twitter at the tail end of 2016 but I used to like it for quick updates to things, link to blogposts/podcasts and dril. Some people seem to spend 24/7 on there in the most unhealthy way.

If you don't have too many followers then it's just like forum. A forum were you can converse with famous people.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

Twitter is good for keeping up with people that publish stuff, emergencies, and silly gimmick accounts. Its weird that people use it as a regular peer to peer communication tool.

I can't speak for the merits of interntional english twitter but in my local language twitter is a good tool for reaching politicians, lobbyists, journalists, media personalities, etc.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Sooooo much good food the world over was originally poor food. Put a rich person in the kitchen and they'll probably do something stupid like mince Kobe beef and form it into a burger patty or cover a pizza in gold leaf.

This is a gross generalisation obviously but still

Counter-point, french culinary tradition.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm kinda stunned there is no Jim Sterling video yet on Artifact because jesus christ what a business model Valve went with.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Harrow posted:

Last I heard it sounded like Valve was trying to treat Artifact as a full-on collectible card game like Magic the Gathering, with card packs always costing money and players able to trade/sell each other cards. Have they gone even further?

Like, not that a business model like MtG's is acceptable or anything, I'm just curious if it's "super bad, gambling-based, and exploitative like MtG" or "somehow even worse."

It's really the worst of all worlds. To sum it up:

1. 20$ upfront cost to get the game (you get lovely starter decks and a few packs)
2. No free content (that is to say no rewards in non-pay game-modes , card crafting, etc)
3. Packs cost money
4. Draft is only accessible by paying money to buy tickets (you can win tickets in drafts but only if you win at least 3 times and only one ticket per draft even if you win 5 times)
5. No trading allowed, only selling on the steam marketplace for steambux (where Valve of course takes their standard cut)

Beta is currently dominated by rare cards so you can expect constructed to be P2W as hell. Draft is also fine-tuned so that no one, no matter how good, is averaging out anywhere close playing infinite through re-investing winnings (such as packs) into tickets.

The game seems interesting but the business model they went with is just something else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Isn't Dr Who just a very stupid show period and has always been? Or have I gotten the wrong impression.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

It's okay to like stupid shows. What I'm saying is, was it really a surprise that it failed in handling a nuanced historical subject in a good way.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 14, 2018

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dean of Swing posted:

Was fully expecting for MLK to get turned into a robot or a frog human.

Just wait for the inevitable Legends of Tomorrow episode.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Star Trek is also a very stupid show as I learned 6 months ago binging through the first season of TNG which is equal parts entertaining and completely insane.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I read the twitter threads and I'm still confused. He seems to have been a huge jerk but then people start inferring something about sexual assault (???).

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Still waiting for that honest prequel defense video Hbomb.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Joseph Anderson didn't get Silent Hill 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XmbrnirD0s (spoilers for the game if you haven't played or aren't familiar with the story)

Joseph Anderson having a very weird understanding of things is what he does.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I need that Doug 'what are movies' image but edited for Joseph Anderson not understanding video games due to being an alien.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alacron posted:

The only Joseph Anderson video I watched any part of was his SOMA video, and that was all I really needed to decide to never watch anything of his again.

The Mario video was around the part where I realized that what he's doing is not a shtick.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alaois posted:

heartbreaking to learn that Matthew Sweet is basically Joseph Goebbels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz7qj3MteS0

Pretty much.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

My god.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jippa posted:

For some reason goons hate him. I've always thought he came across as a really nice guy.

It's because his videos crossed from endearing to disturbing at some point.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wasn't Hbomb like developing a game or something once upon a time? Did I hallucinate this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus how much money has the Charity stream made since Hbomb fell asleep. :psyduck:

EDIT: A skeleton in a blazer has raised more than 4000 $ for charity.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 19, 2019