Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

be the change you want to see in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

poparena posted:

I made it my new year's resolution to not promote myself in the Internet Critics thread. Now that it's the Internet Personality thread, here's what I've been up to.

Nick Knacks: A show-by-show retrospective on Nickelodeon, starting from it's clunky early days in the late 70s to now. My biography on obscure puppeteer Brad Williams is still possibly my best work.

Doctor Who Book Guide: Book reviews of the Virgin New Adventures, the book series that continued Doctor Who after it's cancellation in 1989. The Seventh Doctor is manipulative, Ace is now a homicidal maniac, and Professor Bernice Summerfield drinks a lot. It's better than I'm making it sound. I've fallen off the horse a bit, but after finding a bunch of these books just last week while on vacation, I'm pretty close to getting back to it.

The Goosebumps Monthly: My viewers love Goosebumps. I don't, but as long as they don't mind me tearing into their childhoods, I don't mind exploring all the ways R.L. Stine sucks. (that's not fair, there's a few Goosebumps books that are actually good)

Plus a bunch of random requests determined by viewer donations. Popular requested videos include subjects like Moral Oral, Primeval and Yu Yu Hakusho.

i really like nick nacks, i can tell a lot of hard work goes into those videos. godspeed with that being your life for the next ten years

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Pirate Jenny posted:

I promised never, ever to tweet about them again...

I promised guys...

I PROMISED

look at it this way; posting isn't tweeting

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

While I definitely understand the urge to be happy about having potential drama, I feel like we should avoid this kind of "ooooh, there's mysterious MORE DRAMA!!!" just because it encourages speculation.

I'm happy to just sit and wait for the schadenfreude.

yeah, it's kind of weird when people go "oh boy! more terrible poo poo!!"

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

don't even joke about making botl mod, you'll give me forum nightmares

Alaois posted:

Anyone who reacts like that to having their authority taken away should have never had it to begin with

despite quality while mod, that was absolutely not the ideal way to handle things, i'll agree

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I definitely don't think you should pick a content creator to mod the subforum

I do think we need moderation sooner rather than later tho, because the Channel Awesome poo poo brings out the worst in people.

i'll agree with both of these statements

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

to be honest most of the discussion about channel awesome in this thread has been fine all things considered, there's really only one dude who sucked

i was going to amend my post with that, but it felt like tempting fate

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Lindsay Lohan. Yes, she is a goon.

honestly, i can't believe anyone wouldn't know lindsay lohan posts in the internet critic thread

nine-gear crow posted:

They're a mid-level left-leaning internet news magazine akin to Slate, or The Daily Beast known for think pieces and political commentary. Something you'd normally only run into on r/politics or cable news morning shows, or, god help you, D&D. Though for the Internet Critic/Ex-Channel Awesome crew, it's probably up there near the apex of expectation for "traditional media" exposure.

that sounds about right

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Libluini posted:

Makes me glad I'm only using this thread as a handy source to get new and interesting videos to watch. This way, I'm perfectly safe from ever showing up in that statistic!

keep posting buddy

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

doug doesn't own the nostalgia critic name, right? would he have to like, rebrand himself? get a new face??

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

He could call himself Doug. I never liked the monikers producers gave themselves.

every episode is made of recut clips of Disney's Brand Spanking New! Doug

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

wait, what, they made that old arcade game into a hollywood movie???????

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Falstaff posted:

I might be reading a bit too much into it, but Contra's America: Still Racist video seems to indicate she's run out of patience with the alt-right, so this whole debate seems a little dated. Very last season.

debating with some of these posters over "contra: bad or terrible???" is a waste of time, imo. they've long made up their minds and aren't going to let anything get in the way

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

rest in peace, nine-gear crow

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

it's like i'm in the backwards dimension in here, ellis's videos are actually interesting and well thought-out whereas rlm is just two cranky middle-aged white dudes complaining, that is, when they aren't making rape jokes

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

I donít think you watch the videos.

Either set really.

you're half right, i stopped watching rlm because it's terrible

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yet you still watch Lindsay? Seems hypocritical.

i'm glad we saved time with this discussion by skipping straight to the 'no u' phase

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Vagabundo posted:

And even then, the bullshit that Warner Bros. and Peter Jackson did was somewhat downplayed, IMO. That interview footage of Peter Jackson and Philippa Boyens having a whinge about unions and the protests were from after Equity and the Council of Trade Unions (a lobby group for various unions around the nation, like a union of unions) had agreed to lift any boycott or industrial actions planned against The Hobbit so that they could enter negotiations in good faith.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/nati...ed-announcement

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/HL11...bit-dispute.htm

And currently, the Hobbit Law, as it's called, is being amended to benefit those affected, with the plan being to ultimately repeal it. In all likelihood, it will be gone, or changed in a way that it n longer resembles what the National Party passed in 2010, because the current government simply has the seat numbers to pass it.

if it actually gets repealed, that's great. the 'no collective bargaining' thing is crazy

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

this sounds right to me
i didn't end up watching those videos till years after they came out and i wasn't exactly blown away by the film-crit side. though to be fair, i don't know if i paid that close attention since the 'terrible (rapist?) reviewer' b-plot was kind of attention grabbing

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

khwarezm posted:

'Within the community'? No that's absolutely not the case, first off RLM didn't have any profile wrt to Star Wars at all before the reviews, the first Plinkett reviews were all about Star Trek and if you follow their stuff it's abundantly clear that Mike and Rich are gigantic Trekkies more than anything else while 90% of their content about Star Wars usually involves them making fun of it and it's community.

Additionally, it's really obvious that most of the most venomous criticism about the prequels already came from the Star Trek superfans for years and years before RLM showed up, you remember things like Spaced and Clerks talking about this back in 2000?

they were trekkies first? that's interesting

eta: does being the star ways guys forever now mean they're in, like, hell?

AriadneThread fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 21, 2018

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ricdesi posted:

When have RLM ever been "the Star Wars guys"? Mike and Rich constantly talk the other participants out of the conversation by comparing minute scenes in Z-grade movies to obscure episodes of Star Trek, they have way more of that going for them.

the only reason i ever heard of them to begin with was people on this very forum refusing to shut up about their prequel reviews

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

She uses hypothetical characters named Joann and Cletus as a stand in for people who just want to see movies to have fun and watch explosions and not think especially deeply about the plot. Though I never got the impression that she thinks of this as a bad thing, and, IIRC, she referred to them as disserviced by the Transformers movies, though I will admit I have not watched those videos in a while.

i don't remember this at all, but it's not like like i've watched those videos since they first came out either

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

ricdesi posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad? I always understood them as a satire on armchair movie reviewers who think they know everything, but the longer they talk, the more they reveal they're just pissed over shallow or misunderstood details.

that was my initial take-away but many people have since endeavored to correct me on this

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I mean he's also like a libertarian. And that's not even starting on the high pitched screaming he does instead of making jokes.

i think that makes him a cat

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

I'm not the type to do a video essay--I'm too lazy, and I work all the time so I can't afford to anyway--but if I were one of those people I would do one on DEEP FRIED MASTERS, the most important and meaningful reality show of all time. If you haven't seen it, well, it's enthralling.

i'm afraid looking this up is going to be some kind of trap

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

*slams the nuclear launch button* there are no good superhero movies!!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

poparena posted:

Oh good, this thread is also garbage now.

Anyway, two new Nick Knacks for you. First, Dusty's Treehouse, a charming 70s children's puppet show from the Los Angeles area that was used in the mid-90s to scam old people out of their money.

Then, Livewire, a revised version of Nickelodeon's previous young adult talk show. Includes young women of color getting excited about video games, and baby R.E.M.

i saw the first video, but didn't see the next one go up yet, neat, thanks

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

how boring to pretend to be someone else and not even do anything interesting with it

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

post an internet person

a youtuber i follow has been slowly putting out a series of videos about their trip to antarctica, and the series is almost finished. they're really well done, imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpNrosb3lCE

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Failin Porte_Potty posted:

I guess I can just post silly jokes and updates to Phelan's output.

On the account that Phelan is alright with it, anyway.

you don't think, maybe, that it's weird to impersonate a random youtuber?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

that was a very gentle article

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

perfect

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

If you ever wanted to sell me a conspiracy theory, it'd be one about how this dope suddenly gained a berjillion gatrillion followers overnight playing the same boring flavor of the month games as everyone else.

i don't understand how twitch streaming is so popular
who has the time to watch five hours of unedited video game footage??? even as background noise, i've got like six things competing for that space

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

KayTee posted:

Children have a LOT of free time. And there are a LOT of children.

maybe? i don't think, or at least hope most children don't like, have a twitch prime account though
i follow loading ready live and they've been doing more and more streaming stuff over the years because it really pays apparently! people just throwing money at them to watch them play video games in real time, and like... good for them sure, but people really want to watch that?
i don't think it's just like, kids or a small collection of adults funding it all either seeing as they'll get people mailing them packages from all over the drat world as 'thanks' for their video game streams, sending them literal pounds of candy, or collections of hats.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

would you say they ninja'd the top spot?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Loading Ready Run have been making internet comedy videos for over a decade now (and still are), and have banked a lot of goodwill. They also go out of their way to keep their stream chats moderated and cultivated some pretty safe and inclusive communities.

The thing some of you're missing is these people aren't just watching someone play the game onscreen, the audience is actively engaging with them via chat. It's less a mentality of "I'm watching a show", and more "I'm playing videogames with my funny friend(s) onscreen". It also apparently really helps some people with anxiety and general depression chill out and cheer up a little.

maybe it's the engagement thing i'm missing
i pretty much never, ever, have the ability to watch this stuff live so the constant pauses to address twitch chat just irritate me

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

I don't think you're wrong in every case, but I think for most people, "this is good/bad" means "I didn't like/I like this thing"

"Succeeding" and "failing" are independent of a person's enjoyment of a thing, if it's possible for art to "succeed" or "fail" at all

from a craft perspective it's absolutely possible for art to succeed or fail

if i set out to make a heart-rending tragedy and the reviews come back saying it's the funniest comedy they've ever seen, my art has failed to achieve what i wanted to do even if it's still 'good' art for whatever that means in this conversation

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I feel like this is edging reeeeaaaallly close to "Well, everyone has their own individual opinion and experience, so there's no point in discussing anything in terms of wider appeal."

Which, like, yes, it's super possible to like something that's terrible. I like a lot of works that are pretty garbage on a crafting level, and not because they're trying to break out of norms or whatever, just because they're not really well made. I can very easily say, "These are garbage, here are the ways they are garbage, but they are my garbage and I will be over here rubbing my face on the garbage in glee."

Criticism will obviously have to have SOME framework of standards for good/bad quality. Art is not a natural thing with fundamental laws, it's culturally constructed. At some point, you have to accept that every critic is working with an unspoken assumption of "We are using certain rules and standards for the sake of the discussion."

Todd uses Western Pop and Rock rules for his reviews, not Chinese Opera rules.

Lindsay uses Western Filmography rules, not Bunraku Theatre rules.

This isn't a failing on their parts, nor does it mean that the rules they don't use are bad.

There's a certain amount of value in thinking about WHY the rules are there and whether they can be broken, but that's a question that's separate from works unthinkingly or accidentally breaking rules, or breaking rules intentionally but to poor reception. (Which is itself an ongoing discussion as cultural standards change.)

yeah, i think this is spot on.
i was going to type more but i realized i was just rephrasing what you said

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

yeah, and i bet there's no bathrooms in star wars either since those have never been mentioned

wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

khwarezm posted:

If this is sincere Trey the explainer is pretty interesting, though he hasn't done a huge amount on dinosaurs specifically as of late:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaT-q3feI9s

this is really cool

guy sounds like he's talking from inside a locker though