Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Last Jedi was pretty bad but it appeals to the types that like “subversion” for no real reason so I get that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mischalaniouse posted:

It is actually the best movie in the Star Wars franchise.

Nah it’s pretty bog standard. It pretends it isn’t but it’s still stuck in the same rut Star Wars has been stuck in since Empire. I would like a new and interesting Star Wars that takes some risks but I doubt we will ever get that.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I thought LK was a lovely mod but that meltdown was worth it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

FAU, please set up an autoprobe that sixers anyone who mentions BotL, because the meta posting is far worse than his posting

You know people say that a lot but I don’t think it’s ever true.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

BotLs posts are at least entertaining in a way similar to the later updates of timecube, people straight up whining about his posting and jerking themselves raw in the thread whenever he gets prob'd is just tiresome and ugly.

I feel the same way about his posts.

There is nothing more tedious than his posts. Specifically as he only really has one gimmick and doesn’t do anything with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

but sir, this is a McDonald's drive thru! If I that, I get laugh-points and feel good about myself at the expense of empathic discourse!

No one did the McDonald’s drive thru joke.

Shame it would have worked incredibly well there.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh fair enough and it’s a better post than the ones pretending it isn’t a meltdown.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

business hammocks posted:

The nazis are coming from inside the thread. What a time to be alive.

I honestly expected that meltdown to happen closer to the incident.

Going this late is a little lame.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

So are we swinging back around from Contra reaching out to the Right is bad to being okay now, or???

What Contra did was never good.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

Shots fired, goddamn. How does it feel to be so wrong?

I'm not sure I follow you then. Are you arguing Contra is bad for giving them a platform? How did she do that?

I’m not sure, I don’t think I’ve ever been that.

You can tweet at Contra for an answer tho.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pirate Jenny posted:

This is just disingenuous - Contra's entire thread was trying to illustrate how so many of these alt-right personalities don't actually have an ideology and instead see themselves like performative pro wrestlers, and are utterly baffled that people on the left actually believe what they preach. It was not another thinkpiece from the NYT about "nazis go shopping for line caught ahi tuna sometimes too".

That’s.....dumber.

Turns out I gave her to much credit.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

This may be mindblowing, but people who subscribe to various ideologies can hold a variety of views and beliefs, some of which can be sensible and right, and some of which can be stupid and risible. Forbidding all mockery of these views just because the Other Side also mocks them is a really dumb idea.

Yeah that’s the biggest problem with Contra she seems to think because their ideology isn’t consistent or well thought out means they aren’t sincere in belief which is loving dangerous. Plus it’s kind of playing into the whole holier than though leftist stereotype.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I honestly don’t see why you all are whining.

Is this like the first thread y’all have ever followed or?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Motto posted:

anime is cylically self-reproducing trash by obsessive otaku and washout art students who couldn't hack it in real jobs or schools

As is all media.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Unlike glorious America which sticks mostly with fanfics or the 90s.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

A couple friends of mine just showed me Stines Gate last night. We got about three episodes in and MAN I wished the whole "Time Travel is real" aspect was ripped out. Because then this would be a great slice of life show/Japanese version of Crying of Lot 49 but with a wannabe Rick Sanchez.

Nah the slice of life makes you care but if it went to long it would get pretty grating.

It’s dub is also amazing.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah there is no way Lindsay is way better. Her stuff is fine but not all that great.

I like the RLM stuff better with the exception of the weird rape poo poo which doesn’t serve a purpose. Just makes poo poo uncomfortable.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

it's like i'm in the backwards dimension in here, ellis's videos are actually interesting and well thought-out whereas rlm is just two cranky middle-aged white dudes complaining, that is, when they aren't making rape jokes

I don’t think you watch the videos.

Either set really.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

you're half right, i stopped watching rlm because it's terrible

Yet you still watch Lindsay? Seems hypocritical.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

i'm glad we saved time with this discussion by skipping straight to the 'no u' phase

It’s were we started. A brisk pace it’s good, it’s how you know Lindsay had nothing to do with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i agree, it's really weird and unusual and off-putting that anyone is invested in the biggest franchise of all-time. a real head-scratcher, that.

They aren’t even that invested in Star Wars really.

They like the original trilogy and don’t care for the prequels but they generally shrug when talking about the new movies.

If any of them are invested in anything it’s Star Trek.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If anything this topic shows me is that the most virelant RLM haters don’t actually watch their videos.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

Maybe because it’s good, idk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

khwarezm posted:

'Within the community'? No that's absolutely not the case, first off RLM didn't have any profile wrt to Star Wars at all before the reviews, the first Plinkett reviews were all about Star Trek and if you follow their stuff it's abundantly clear that Mike and Rich are gigantic Trekkies more than anything else while 90% of their content about Star Wars usually involves them making fun of it and it's community.

Additionally, it's really obvious that most of the most venomous criticism about the prequels already came from the Star Trek superfans for years and years before RLM showed up, you remember things like Spaced and Clerks talking about this back in 2000?

Shhh, let the dude be smug.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

AriadneThread posted:

the only reason i ever heard of them to begin with was people on this very forum refusing to shut up about their prequel reviews

Its what their known for but that is because Star Wars is a lot more popular than Trek.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ricdesi posted:

Maybe I'm wrong here, but aren't the Plinkett Prequel reviews supposed to be bad? I always understood them as a satire on armchair movie reviewers who think they know everything, but the longer they talk, the more they reveal they're just pissed over shallow or misunderstood details.

No? That would be stupid and nonsensical.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Roth posted:

Rich: Jack, help, how do I beat this Bloodborne boss?

Jack: I don't know Rich. I just read the names of people who subscribe.

That’s....not how bloodborne bosses work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

I... guess it is? As I said, she doesn't present them as anything beyond like a personification of the average moviegoer, and even then, in a pretty neutral, quick fashion. Are you really sure you're not thinking of, like, MovieBob in a wig?

She is smug in a more paternalistic rather than aggressive way.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I know it’s hosed up op.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Would you perhaps have come too close to the freudian nightmare of your opinion if you correctly said maternal?
Im fine with my word choice but thanks?

Though this post is heavily ironic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Botl isn't worth a fraction of the words being thrown over their head.

I’m surprised people still post at him.

He has like two posts and he just changes the names around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Did someone argue that Superman isn’t in a position of power.

Lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gimmick posting is always weird, gimmick post a real person is just creepy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It seems kind of unfair to actively lie in a defense post like Mel is doing. I mean it’s not against the rules technically but seems kind of lovely.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What's the lie?

You called his criticism legitimate which is hilarious, said he wasn’t trolling and that people didn’t honestly engage with him.

Literally all of these things are objectively false.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What is illegitimate about saying Marvels use of nuclear weapons as a good thing is deeply political and that Zack Snyders attempts to utilize religious imagery are more ambitious in messaging than what the Marvel films do?

I would argue against them, because I think they are ignoring other elements of film criticism, but they are completely valid ideas.

We don’t need a new Lamps so I ain’t engaging with this basic poo poo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ban Mel. Nip this stupid poo poo in the bud.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

See that's stupid though, the world's not, the lovely people are more visible but they're steadily dying and being overwhelmed. The neo-nazis and all that garbage are dangerous, but they're louder because they're getting a parting peep out from their regular sadboy death spiral, the frogmen and their like are even easier, they crumple at the very implication of real resistance. Smoothbrains like the administration are some of the most hated we've ever had, they were put in place primarily by a broken system exploited by conmen. Injustices are shoved back against harder today than they were before, terrible people get told to gently caress off louder, progress regardless of constant speed is winning out. Get that dumb defeatist crap out mind.

Lol this is hilariously naive.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

Nah, blow me shitter. This is like the morons that play "B-BUH CRIME IS SO NIGHTMARISH NOW, THE WORLD SCARRRY" when violent crime rates have been dropping for a while now.

It's almost like the world at large and the declining bad things are just more visible now!

Nah from a legal standpoint things are pretty bad with a lot of social and economic protections being stripped. Not to mention this economic turmoil causing a massive rise in nationalism and fascism including them taking the US presidency.

But I guess people are mad at Racism online so I guess it broke even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

She should stop doing skits. Her comic delivery is terrible.

To be fair I think badly done skits is required from anyone posted in this thread.