Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DoctorWhat posted:

Linkara seems to have moved pretty far to the left from his earlier politics.

That's actually really good to hear, because that was my main beef with him back when I watched Channel Awesome stuff was his politics (and over-reliance on stupid plotlines in his reviews).

How's he doing after CA imploded?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

He once did a 20 minute unboxing video on the collectors edition of Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII... and never opened the box. If he's not some kind of hypermoron then he is the Andy Kaufman of the Internet Era and the joke is flying so far over all our heads it's in orbit around Jupiter now.

Initially I thought DSP was the latter, but you don't do things like leasing out a new BMW with some useless extended warranty and then never change the oil as a joke.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Junpei Hyde posted:

There are sometimes good youtube comments

my parents boyfriend posted:

It really depends on the video but I'd say most comments are positive.

In my years of reflexively scrolling down to the comments for some godforsaken reason, I can say that both of you are loving liars.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

i'm surprised people are surprised anthem was bad. way back when it was announced it looked like generic dogshit. them completely botching simple things like how strong weapons should be is just icing on the cake.

People absolutely expected it to be bad, but they really hoped it wasn't anyway because Anthem failing means a deaths sentence for BioWare.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Puppy Time posted:

Honestly I think it's more likely that there are a lot of people whose standards aren't as high as the posters' here, and who either don't know about Change the Channel or just don't care because they want to keep watching the funny screamy guy make movie jokes.

Like, most people aren't super into media criticism, they just want to unwind and watch something funny for a while, and their tastes aren't all that refined. Nothing especially wrong with that, much as I wish they'd go for someone a bit less enabling of terrible people.

Also recall that a lot of youtube users are kids. Not terribly discriminating, not super up on ethics, and possessing a massive amount of free time to watch an old nerd shriek and pretend to shoot guns.

100% this, even with modern social media you have to pretty much have to actively look for this poo poo.

I know I would have no idea about all these internet controversies if I didn't post here.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

ProZD going for the kill.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

anyway. Joker got reviewed at venice and apperently its pretty well liked and its pretty good over all. but already seeing twitter react badly to that news because it might make the incels shoot things up and how its a movie makes responsibility not to make stuff like that.

D-do they not know all that "Gamers Rise UP" stuff is satire?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am always torn. i think some people can pull off both really well but many should probably just stick to one or the other. that goes into podcasts with me alot. like behind the bastards is great, great podcast that i reccomend to everyone, but sometimes the jokey poo poo just goes on and one and it just isn't funny. whats worse is when your actually really interested in the topic and some guest make an awful joke and than its back to throwing bagels for 5 mins.

I've noticed this too. It seems like he's trying to play to the Chapo crowd but it doesn't really land at all. It's one of the growing list of complaints I have of an otherwise great podcast.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its not really chapo jokes. its more just the "hur i throw bagel" and "hurr joke i have done 30 times" it was really bad in some of the episodes where like half the episode is jokes so he doesn't cover poo poo. also some of the episodes are weak as poo poo. i like hosed up comedy. i love last podcast on the left and the dollop and both of them can be comedy overload, but they have a pretty good group dynamics. robert evans just isn't funny and it sucks because i love his stuff over all. sometimes he has great guests but the more news people are terrible and are vacuums of humor. i am curious what your other complaints are.

Besides the humor, I don't like how the last 7 episodes were just reading Evans' book. He also goes after obscure grifters too much instead of big names like Joe Arpaio (he made 2 entire episodes on Jacob Whol lmao). And that whole manifesto episode was incredibly stupid.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

buddhist nudist posted:

I'm hit or miss on Babish. He's great when he's desperately trying to make Always Sunny's crimes into food or helping design an industrial robot to make Uncle Buck pancakes, but when he uses films to make carbonara or a Julia Childe recipe it's like... why?

Him and You Suck At Cooking are still my weird feel-good youtubers.

I really like Adam Ragusea, he has some good recipes, and goes into the science of cooking. Not to mention he's REALLY good at making food look delicious.

His videos on tomatoes and tomato sauce got me craving them something fierce. And I hate tomatoes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Ian's only sins are making we want to try gross frozen things, and saying the DMC reboot was good.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

smg is bad actually

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

That donation was 100% a PR move, so none of this was surprising.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Grouchio posted:

Is Doug Walker's dickery reflective of Chicago's culture as a whole or am I reading too much into this?
Cause I never want to visit Chicago partly thanks to him.

1. No.

2. Chicago's a cool and its "reputation" is mostly fearmongering about black people.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Takoluka posted:

Konami owns sports clubs and actual gambling machines worldwide. They're not suffering, so they're not exactly trying to get back into gamers' good graces.

They also own Yu-Gi-Oh, which is probably the real thing that keeps them afloat.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yet another reason why Invader Zim stands head and shoulders above most cartoons

Extremely debatable.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I knew Keemstar was a Grade A rear end in a top hat but I didn't know he got his start with a channel called "F@G Alliance".

Christ.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pants Donkey posted:

FFXIV has one of worst implementations for housing I’ve seen. In a vacuum, it’s fine. Not Wildstar levels, but good enough. To GET a house, however, you have to buy a plot of land. And plots are finite.

Yeah.

So as you imagine, housing is rare and super expensive. They don’t just make more plots due to a fear of pissing off players already invested...or some grandfathered things from 1.0. I forget exactly. They did add cheaper apartments, but it’s not the same.

Guild houses, however, have unlimited personal rooms for members, so it’s not a complete loss.

NIMBYism in an MMO lmao

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I've gotten those types of recommendations almost exclusively from watching Gundam videos. Not even Gunpla, just like old clips of UC Gundam shows.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Leal posted:

Its interesting hearing his take on how you should use an air fryer if you want to enjoy naked wings. I've had this debate about why bother seasoning things on the outside so heavily when oil washes away most of the stuff you put on top. Most of the flavor is gonna come off whatever sauce I drown it in anyways.

And honestly, maybe it is time to get an air fryer. If I'm not saucing it to hell, and just enjoying the seasonings... Aint so much sugar and salt loaded sauce going into my gullet.

I don't know, the air-fryed wings look baked to me (Ian even points that out). I feel like you could cut out the middle man and just use an oven. :shrug:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

A fair warning that that thread tends to go off on weird derails and go deep into leftist theory mental masturbation. It's not necessarily bad, just don't expect to see pages of talk about Shaun. Also "A Land of Contra-sts" is a great title.

I forget if that thread or the Political Cartoons one went on a derail on how about cats are the only proper leftist pet and only reactionaries like dogs.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Pretty much any goon who gets any amount of fame leaves because this place can be as toxic any other place on the internet but without the added visibility.

Except Hbomb, I guess. But even he only posts like once every 2 months.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

I dunno, I dislike ragging on Bleach too much after finding out that Kubo hated working for Shonen Jump and had a terrible working relationship with his editor.

He obviously stopped giving a gently caress after Soul Society, and I honestly can't blame him.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

But at the same time, Valentine actually has things going for him as an antagonist, he actually has some charisma, he's actually chiseled and good looking.

I'm not looking forward to whenever Part 7 is animated because of all the idiotic "Valentine did nothing wrong!!!" takes.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Classic Greek plays and Shakespeare were the Marvel movies of the day. The only difference now is cultural clout, and that's always what this dumbass "art" debate has been about.

Just let people enjoy things, jesus. History will decide if it has merit or not.

Endorph posted:

I don't think it's meant to be snobbish or anything or that he's against the movies existing, just that he feels they're taking up too much room. 'Theathers have become amusement parks' is him saying that they're showing nothing but marvel movies and associated disney products, and disney are the people strongarming them to do that.

For some reason I don't think Scorsese would have a problem if Disney strong armed theaters into showing movies he liked/made. :thunk:

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Oct 24, 2019

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

the shakespeare comparison doesn't work in this context because shakespeare's plays were performed at like, two theaters and he wasn't trying to establish a media monopoly on, like, kabuki and vietnamese water puppets at the same time. and also a lot of government/city officials disliked him

If this debate was just about Disney monopolizing theaters, then why mention Marvel movies not being "cinema" at all? Disney would do that with more arthouse movies if they could. If not them, then Sony or Paramount. Even those indie studios too if they had the money.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Endorph posted:

Because his point is that only one kind of movie is being allowed to exist, flashy hollywood blockbusters. Which has always been an issue but Disney has exacerbated that problem tenfold.

Not to defend Disney, but this is hyperbolic as gently caress.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I don't like them and it's incredibly eyerolly because ~cinema~ defining most of the time just blends into the same old poo poo of "Mine is in the special boy's club"

Yeah this. Making a distinction between "movies" and "cinema", or "low art" and "high art" at all is little more than an classist exercise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

See this is the problem, you're treating it as a qualitative hierarchy when it's not, it's a distinction of intent, effect, and content. "Not being cinema" is not why the MCU is bad

Having a distinction at all, especially when you call it "cinema" or "high art" is making it a qualitative hierarchy. It's incredibly disengenuous to say otherwise.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Is there any reason why they can't make va Bethesda style open-world game in, say, Unreal 4?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

god all comedians do is make my life loving worse by teaching morons that it's ok to be a lovely little bigot if you say it in a "joking" way, I'm so sick of the stupid "profession", but whatever, guess every idiot normie loves to pay 50 bucks to see some gently caress on the stage say the stupid "well I identify as..." thing and then hoot at it. like, jesus, every fan of a comedian here is a nasty piece of work. all the Louis CK fans excused his sick pervert poo poo because they liked his jokes, all the loving Cum Town listening freaks here are glad to hear some coke-sniffing New York white guy say the n-word, every single loving one of them is awful

i agree. shut down noted comedy website somethingawful.com

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

Well, Contra has left Twitter and I'm sure that she'll be back next week and-OH MY GOD REVIEWBRAH NEARLY DIED

https://twitter.com/IAmReviewbrah/status/1192157562411638785?s=19

Didn't this kid end up being a chud?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

yea to be fair if you told me there was a young white guy who billed himself as some kinda suit wearing food reviewer I'd probably go 'oh that kid has some tweets about black crime stats doesn't he' but thankfully this one does seem to be a nice one.

Pretty much this, and that's why I asked. I thought he pandered heavily to the 4chan crowd because his shtick seems 100% born out out 4chan irony poison culture, but that might not be true?? :shrug:

He's still a dweeby looking kid in a suit reviewing fast food, and I thought goons would hate him just on those grounds, chud or no.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Eschenique posted:

Plus vocal atheists can be pretty loving psycho on the internet and so atheism itself is gradually eroding and people no longer want to be associated with it.

Uhh what? "No religion" the fastest growing religion many countries.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Bug Squash posted:

"No religion" isn't synonymous with "atheist", but in practice most of those people are atheists I grant you.

It's kind of a branding problem, where the most obnoxious of the new atheists define atheism in the public mind. So you may be an atheist, but you wouldn't call yourself one in public to avoid association with the legion of dickheads that do call themselves atheists in public.

It's like how you might enjoy video games, but you should never call yourself a gamer.

No, it's only becoming more acceptable to openly be an atheist, especially before when you were treated as some Satanic deviant if you didn't identify as Christian. Hell, that's still true in some places.

This "branding issue" is way less of a problem than you think, and the automatic conflation between atheist and "new atheist" or whatever is an Extremely Online viewpoint.

Same with the term "gamer" tbh.

Neo_Crimson fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 13, 2019

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Eschenique posted:

Yeah but I'm not identifying as an Atheist either partially because that well is already so poisoned.

The well isn't poisoned nearly as much as you think, which was my original point.

Eschenique posted:

More like that you answer yes and they go "me too! Now here are my views on Anita Sarkeesian."

Oh come the gently caress on.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Kim Justice posted:

I really just can't with these stupid arguments.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Iambic Pentameter posted:

Am I the only one that followed h3h3 a few years back and then jumped ship when he started being weirdly smug and antagonistic about everything (including but not limited to 500 videos about "SJW's" ruining everything)

Nope, iirc they've had Ben Shapiro on and were all buddy buddy with him. H3H3 is like step 0 in the alt-right propaganda pipeline, right there with Joe Rogan and Phillip DeFranco.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Spark That Bled posted:

Does Brutalmoose count?

I think his food videos are more popular than his gaming stuff now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’ve never seen this channel before, but I’ve never clicked a link faster in my life. It’s the most thorough treatment of the subject that I’ve ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQdxHi4_Pvc

Anyone familiar with this one? Videos seem legit.

I liked this guy until I saw him defend PewDiePie during that WSJ debacle in one of his yearly review videos.