Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
picture of Doug next to sailor moon on a bridge

picture of Doug alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

nine-gear crow posted:

The ship has gone vertical and is making its final plunge, imploding beneath itself as the ocean consumes it. Only two men remain onboard, one of them clings to the railings with all his might and weeps in dread; the other stands defiantly atop the letters TITANIC - LIVERPOOL, cackling madly, firing a revolve into the air and shouting at the other man, "Nice night fer a swim, innit?!"

"I knew that stupid bastard couldn't turn fast enough" is a powerful choice for last words and I respect it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

I think it's important to remember how many people just watch NC on their YouTube feed and are done with it until next week. They're not reading comments or looking at Twitter and being exposed to all this.

Doug himself would have to do some hosed up poo poo ON the show to really hit rock bottom.

also yea this, CA will survive because most of Doug's audience is like my boyfriend who just watches him on Youtube when sees a video about a movie he liked and has no idea what the deal is. Until Doug personally does something insane on actual NC's feed he's insulated.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'it's-a me, mario'

'nice try you fat lil gently caress'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also man Double Toasted seems really familiar but I'm not subscribed or anything, did any of these guys do something else recently or before they did Double Toasted?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

They come from Spill.com but they were cartoons back then.

that's it, I've seen those little cartoon versions of them and the voices.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pants Donkey posted:

So the Walkers are leaving or did I misread something?

that's a rumor from an unnamed source so take it with a whole carton of salt

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

we should just stop posting tweets made by stupid people, thanks.

yea it'd be cool if we didn't just blindly post tweets from mentally ill racists trying to convince people that as long as you ignore like half the conversation it just so happens someone they already hate is basically doing Pizzagate But With Youtubers. Like, no one actually needs to know what loving Mombot thinks, no one should give a poo poo because she's loving insane.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Moatman posted:

TBH that sounds like something they'd do anyway

yea you do not have to ask too much for either of them to happily drop all the curses you want in character voices.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Linear Zoetrope posted:

From everything I've heard, that's more former. I heard he doesn't agree with that anymore? I mean, he's not like as left as me or the majority of this thread, but not that anymore,

Larry's just an extremely knee-jerk guy who tends to side with anyone claiming to be CENSORED or the like. I don't think he's hateful, just really kinda dumb and tends to assume that actually both sides have extremes that are equally bad and we can't talk about one without the other. Hardly the worst guy like that but it's annoying none the less and has led to him siding with some really gross people before realizing 'oh, woops, think I'm the rear end in a top hat here'.

Him dedicating his week to loving with CA as it implodes has been a strong tally in his favor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

He seems like the rare human who actually would be really motivated to criticize computer magazines for a lack of rigor and maybe not pick up on the horde’s real motives until a few weeks later.

yea from what I remember (god I hope I'm not wrong) he was like, genuinely invested in asking why hobby magazines and sites weren't PROPERLY INVESTIGATING things and not understanding the answer is 'they don't care, no one actually cares, this is a smokescreen'.

Like, he was in the smokescreen and going 'guys can we talk about all this smoke? Fuckin crazy, right? Why aren't you talking about this smoke? Smoke is bad, dude...' It was almost cute except for it ending with him caping for nazis and poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In unrelated posting, I'm sure Jun's Kitchen was mentioned back when I asked for cooking youtube recs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgiu9cqph5Y

I really dig this, taking americanized sushi styles and kinda 'rejapanifying' them. This is the kinda silly but cool poo poo I come to food youtube for.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Jon Bois working for SB Nation is kind of like if instead of LA Galaxy having a 36 year old and kinda banged up but still pretty good Zlatan Ibrahimovic, they had Zlatan Ibrahimovic in his prime. His videos are that good, and his writing is even better. Obviously you go ahead and try to build your whole team around that but his style can't be repeated.

Yea I really like SB Nation as a whole and they have fun people with good show ideas, but it's hilarious how obviously everything is based around 'we need to do Jon Bois' thing as best we can as often as we can'. Like, I'm not making GBS threads on it, it's a good plan and they have juuuust enough distinct flavors of Jon Bois to make it work without feeling stale, but considering he was first known as this kinda niche sports internet thing it rules that now he's an outlet's Rosetta Stone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Nella, more like Hella.

Hella good.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that of all the forums to turn into Battle Royale it's the loving podcast forum, and let's be real it's only one thread in that forum.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Wrageowrapper posted:

Stop talking about anime and watch the third rather depressing part of Lindsays Hobbit review instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

What a good rear end series of videos. As a huge Tolkien nerd with equally Complex Feelings about The Hobbit (and who loved Kesha's old stuff who feels gross listening to it now) this really hit everything about how I feel. Like, ending it with 'yea...it sucks, I get it, but that's what being an adult is' is pretty much perfect. "There's no ethical consumption under capitalism" is a way too glib answer for how often it gets used, especially because it weirdly puts the onus on the consumer rather than the dudes making it so unethical. It's almost refreshing to have a major look at this stuff that just kinda is 'yep...it sucks being an adult who's expected to be aware of the world beyond you. I feel for ya.'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Darth Walrus posted:

The main thing I remember about Pa Kent is that every time he appeared in MoS, he was giving Supes an entirely different and contradictory moral lesson. Like, it seemed that he was implicitly being set up as an opposite moral/philosophical influence to Jor-El, but he seemed to more often be in argument with himself.

It would have been extremely cool if the 'moral' with Pa Kent was that he was actually just a terrified country boy trying to raise a super-being who he did truly love as a son. Like, instead of the big christ like place he got just having a moment of acknowledgement that yea his big moral speeches seemed to be made up on the fly to fit what was currently happening...you know like actual humans do when they're trying to guide someone to the best they can.

In the comics they do it well! Pa has a very clear moral framework. Do the best you can, offer a hand to those who are hurting, let people surprise you even if it's bad sometimes. It's incredibly generic 'salt of the earth' style stuff but it works because it's consistent and there are issues where Superman is all 'ok that advice was good for a man who's main struggle was keeping his family farm alive but I'm dealing with a space nazi with a planet buster so maybe I have to disappoint Pa and that's ok because we're both just people doing our best'.

The movie tried to make it into some weird iron clad code that Clark obeyed at all costs because it was given down from heaven.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Conal Cochran posted:

Could you elaborate on why you get that impression from her videos?

I'm more curious why they don't think RLM is smug in the prequel videos. Like, I like them and all but they're incredibly smug considering how much is rooted in 'actually George Lucas is poo poo and extended CGI grousing'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Plinket reviews the joke is that the reviewer is lovely and terrible. The editing of the videos themselves are terrible on purpose. Smug is not self mockery.

You don't seem to actually know what criticism they brought up, but whatever. It's getting to be ten years since they made them and maybe like five years since I watched one. But if they were basically repeats of what people said at the time (too much cgi and Lucas bad) instead of actually making points, it would never have caught on.

again I said I liked the loving videos but 'no it's supposed to be poo poo' is like the 'it's my art style actually' of comedy videos

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also while we're dropping hot takes on the countryside like it's Vietnam I'm just gonna say I think the reason RLM's star wars stuff is so sacred to so many nerds is it was the first time many of us saw criticism of the films from within the community rather than from outsiders who's main criticism boiled down to 'yea but space stuff is lame' so it was assigned a lot more depth than's actually there.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
WW's movie suffers from the same issue a lot of cape stories have in general, where she doesn't really care about things enough to do Maximum Effort until someone she personally knows/loves/got dicked down with was hurt by it. At least Spider-Man and Batman try to fix this by having the 'oh poo poo crime is BAD because it happened to someone I care about?!' moment happen to literal children.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Conal Cochran posted:

Do Bob Chipman's Apu videos offer any insight that wasn't already covered in the documentary, "The Problem with Apu?"

No but wouldn't you rather have a white guy spend three monitized videos explaining the concept that a guy from the race involved already did?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish more people did videos on creepypasta because even the "good" ones are oftentimes poo poo. the one about the closed disney attraction she made fun of was great.

I really wish there was more of a horror fan community on Youtube in general to be honest, but yea there's a real void in the creepypasta community other than narrators.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The porg is actually the critic, Jenny is just the vessel for their words, please respect the porg, he went to film school.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Holy gently caress that Jeff the Killer fanfic was POWERFUL, especially the ending.

"Why does Smile Dog get to be part of the pantheon?!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I do appreciate the narrators though. There's so many horror short stories online, that a huge number of them are going to be bad so having SOME kind of filter like someone picking and choosing stories to read or a thread with the best ones is helpful. Is there even still a creepypasta thread on these forums?

Oh yea there's good narrators for sure, I love guys like Mr Creeps and Darkness Prevails for background noise, I just wish there was, like, ANY source for analysis/review too because whoo do even the good 'pastas deserve a critical look.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also really do like that Jenny ended it with 'look it's fanfic, any of us who wrote fanfic probably have a story like this that she's probably embarrassed by in 2018 already but it's kinda worth talking about because of the social context more than anything (also yikes)'

It's nice when the punchline isn't just lazy 'lol fanfic is stupid am I right guys'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I know it's come up with Moviebob but really transhumanism is just a nicer face on eugenics anyway, why does a loving youtuber think he's gonna be in the elite caste post singularity where life will be better? Even if we have a full mass transhumanist awakening it's just gonna be like that Eclipse Phase tabletop game where most of us are getting uploaded into slave-bots or whatever. Why is he making letting Peter Thiel be our new vampire overlord such a critical issue.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Augus posted:

The message I got from the trailers was "it's hard to adjust to new things but it's necessary and your kids should be more important to you than preserving the status quo" but idk

yea I mainly got 'things change and that can suck but you're gonna have to pick between the status quo and what's best for your family' and BOY would it be a bold movie if a literal Disney movie went the 'actually, gently caress your family, kill your children' route!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhh it's because the money would go elsewhere. not any of the things you said.

I genuinely don't understand where people got the idea this was how movie studios work but it's such a weird one it had to come from somewhere right? Like, best case the 'money would go elsewhere' would be to a comparable summer blockbuster. It's not like the studio sits down every year start and says 'ok, we have exactly enough money for three big movies...' and then some dude in a Captain America suit has to footrace Wes Anderson to decide who gets the slot.

It's trends, not money, and big action movies always do well, the best you can hope for is people get burned out of a franchise not an entire genre.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I dunno I thought it was fairly clear. We love to hate CAD and talk about how The Room is so bad but when you actually compare it to similar stuff it's biggest sin is being more poorly crafted, not especially more morally devoid. Like, CAD IS just PA with worse art (and even then that hasn't been true for the past like, five years) and a weird attempt to make serious storylines. They're both still just morally repugnant white nerds screaming into their artpad, but one gets to have a major gaming con and be a cultural touchstone and the other is 'lol CAD sucks'.

CAD does kinda reflect the worst in its audience, aping bigger and more popular things, lacking talent enough to do it well, falling into cheap jokes instead of actual commentary but wanting to be taken seriously regardless.

The Room is the same, it reflects the worst in cinema, a story about a generic dude who's actually super cool and popular (who just happens to be the writer/director's stand in) who's female counterparts exist as story beats more than characters. It never was given any mainstream attention until the 'real' movies could cash in on it under the guise of noble causes in helping art and poo poo.

They're both considered 'low art' just due to quality of style, which SHOULD be a factor sure but it's a bit absurd that they get treated as if they're some unique shameful thing when actually they're just a lower quality mirror of things that get treated as golden.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, it's not obscurantist but it's a facile and obvious argument. I guess if people really are that shallow and incurious then it's fine but I don't see what he offers that I can't get from just thinking about things with my brain

I dunno man I think, especially online, 'actually maybe pretending PA is somehow a higher class of nerd than Tom Borkly is really stupid because they're just as dumb and lovely' isn't super common?

Also on another note, what are some good paranormal/conspiracy youtubers? Not creepypasta but like, Coast to Coast/Paracast style discussions of things from a maybe too open mind...without the whole "AND THE JEWS ARE RUNNING THE PIZZA PARLORS TO RAPE OUR KIDS" elements?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DoubleCakes posted:

I liked the Too Many Cooks-esque parts of the new Hbomberguy vid. I love the dialogue and text.

yea as someone who isn't a huge fan of extended skits in this stuff I enjoyed these. They were a good balance for me at least, just short enough to be funny without killing momentum, and I'm 100% in for weird psycho cinema style interjections.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I liked TLJ a lot but the idea it takes three viewings to 'fully understand' is absurd. Like, yea watch a movie however many times you want but the movie explicitly spells its core themes and ideals out via multiple characters just literally telling you them. The symbolism is such deep cuts as 'they burn the Jedi texts after a constant mantra of 'kill your past if you must' because both the Jedi and the Sith need to be reborn in the new era' and 'we explain Rey's origins don't matter by having someone literally make her look in the camera and say 'yea no poo poo my parents were junk dealers that never cared about me and probably died in squalor''.

I liked TLJ but I also just watched an Infinity War review where one of the guys on it said after IW's ending the TLJ team should probably feel a little embarrassed because boy did they nail the whole vibe TLJ was going for so much better with so much more skilled execution.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Groovelord Neato posted:

but then rey has the books in the falcon. that was my big issue - they only ever went halfway.

Yea that was pretty stupid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The point was specifically for Luke to accept his past, the failings of the Jedi, and move the gently caress on from his mistakes instead of just waiting to die in shame. Rey's past came with the Sith mirror and learning to accept that she has no great destiny, no parents of legend. It's all. Just. Her.

Learning from the Jedi books is, for her at least, a way forward so as to understand her Force talents.

Yea but Like having to accept his past as past is completely undone with that because the only reason Rey took the books was because Luke gave them such weight. His chains are still alive and well, he just passed them on to her. I guess they were trying to do a whole 'no one ever really overcomes their past' thing like how Kylo super clearly was conflicted when he asked if Luke was there to tell him to come home and probably would have gone even but instead Luke was just all 'no' and things escalated. Like, Luke overcoming his past kept Kylo chained in his and then by extension kept Rey bound with these pretty useless old traditions, so even if he personally felt at ease enough to move on his past still stayed behind but I genuinely don't think they have the balls to go there in the next movie because they have to show that as a corrupting rather than enlightening force and I think they're very dedicated to the much more boring use of The Force where it's "Jedi good, Sith bad' so ergo Luke good Kylo bad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hello yes I'm a nerd on the internet and I have star wars opinions, I'm very unique I know

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea all the best Jedi stories are about how they're just a loosely ordered union of space monks spanning the galaxy with their own views and traditions that often clash with each other almost as often as they do with true Sith. The idea of there even being 'ancient Jedi texts' already uses the most dull version of them when they're just all Space Tibetan Buddhists Written By A White Guy Who Doesn't Actually Know What Tibetan Buddhists Are

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea 'I don't do drama' is for like 'I heard that guy hosed his partner's wife, that's hosed up', this is more 'the people I work for are overt abusers both personally and professionally'. He should probably talk on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Max Wilco posted:

You know, watching, it does make me wonder: how would it have been done it if Ubisoft decided to outright go and make Far Cry 5 about the right/alt-right/MAGA hat-wearers ?

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/982047338775527425

EDIT: I'm also mad that in talking about Far Cry 2, he didn't use this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

They really didn't even have to go full 'we are Ubisoft and we are saying you need to kill anyone who voted for Trump', just don't have poo poo like an entire region where your bffs are...another survivalist militia...but they're the GOOD kind it's fine. Also give the Seeds some actual...goals? Like, an agenda other than shoving Bliss up everyone's rear end? Like, Jacob talks about degeneracy and all but...his cult is pretty diverse for a bunch of Montana religious zealots...