Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

GoneRampant posted:

Cool story bro. Points for the dated meme.

galaxy brain is loving evergreen you chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
FC5 is a perfectly fine open world game that does have fun stuff. It's really a shame they hosed up with having easily the worst story of any FC game and their half assed 'we're gonna dance around current events without doing anything meaningful' solution because that did rightly sour people on what coulda been a fun experience.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what annoyed me more is i fully expected them to not make a "gently caress trump/chuds" game. judging from all the commercials, they were trying to go for a Branch davidian plus ISIS feel and that honestly interested the hell out of me more then "lol chuds killing sim" poo poo a decent amount of people wanted. the problem is that don't do poo poo with cult stuff. you have some vague overview of their beliefs and methods but thats it. if you want a depressing and sorta deep far cry. play 2.

same. I never got intentional malice in the story of the game that i have some people say it has. it hosed up its execution of some interesting ideas much like bioshock infinite hosed up the execution of their ideas.

Yea I wasn't really holding my hopes out for 'lol flamethrower the CHUDS', it was pretty clearly originally designed around Branch style militant cults and they obviously wanted to cash in on current events as launch got closer.

They still just kinda did nothing with THAT element either. You instantly meet up with the ~good guy survivalists~ who quickly explain that ACTUALLY it's fine to be an insane armed to the teeth prepper but THOSE guys are bad because THEY have magic drugs and THAT'S not good. Then from there you're just fighting loving magicians and zombies. The only genuinely good cult guy is mr "I was looking all my life for things to say YES to". The other two were 'generic survivalist who's the BAD kind not the GOOD kind like OUR militia' and 'a literal drug wizard who I have no idea why she's even here she's just a straight up goddamn mage with a vague hippy style that actually has nothing to do with the other Seeds' style of things at all'.

Also the general 'this feels weird' about gunning down drug addicts in rural America...for the resistance, yaaaaay....

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
oh also side quests are even worse than usual except for the like, two in each region they clearly spent effort in. I got I think 3 distinct flavors of 'there's DRUG ADDICTS in there, take your machine gun to them please. We're the good guys btw'.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

agreed but the cult is basicaly going full ISIS and killing anyone who doesnt submit. Jacob is just a hosed up PTSD vet who has gone full neo Malthusian/social darwinist and Hope is just the newest "hope" she is some kid who got druged and brainwashed into being the pretty face for the death cult. both are interesting ideas but the way the game is structured its all humbled jumble. i like the game mechanicaly and enviromentaly a ton, sucks about the story.

That is fair. They have very neat ideas, I remember the spoiler but forgot Jacob had a whole PTSD 'I turned to this poo poo to make sense' thing going on. Those could both be very solid characters but...yea just it all got lost in the vague soup of clashing flavors of the story.

They designed a linear game at first, I think. I think you're meant to play Mr Yes Dude, then Faith, then Jacob and kinda get this slowly creeping dread as it grows from kinda 'normal' weird cult that's suddenly gone violent to 'oh gently caress no they're messing with some twisted stuff' and then full on 'welcome to my killing fields bitches' but...no one's gonna do that when they can run freely from the get go so I think they had to water things down to be sure you could experience them whenever. I think this is a case where 'not every game NEEDS to be a sandbox' is true, some structure would have made this story better because yea I agree I dig the game as a pure mechanical/style thing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah pretty much. i always thought Mafia 3 knocked it out of the park when it came to tackling racism and the 60s. the writers nailed the tone and the wording and dog whistles. like the "native son" radio program and stuff. plus it was fun game. the shooting was sharp and meaty as hell. it was also the closet to feeling like a Punisher game in a long time.

yeah its the repition, which works story wise and thematicaly but it kills the pacing a bunch. ok so each main target has 2 underboss types. you destroy and gently caress up each under bosses thing and then kill or turn the under boss. it works because of the whole MACV SOG type poo poo. slowly killing the big bads support and its fun for a while because i loved the gun play but its not for everyone.

Yea I enjoyed Mafia 3 but I also never finished it because the third cycle of 'break up the rackets of 2 underbosses doing similar missions that revolve around 'go here, break things', 'go here, kill a guy', or 'find a guy driving around and kill him', then go to one of the places you killed everyone before to kill the underboss, then do it again, then beat the boss boss, then have that fat irish bastard whine because even though you JUST GAVE HIM territory he's angry you gave some to someone else' made me go 'ok, bye'.

It's not a bad game by far but boy is it repetitive.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Basically, except that Petersen is in the humanities (and is usually the first non-dismissive exposure a lot of his fans have to the humanities) so there's an extra layer of pseudo-mystical woo in his appeal.

Peterson's got a GREAT grift going on. He tells his fans that we need to defund humanities and all because it's all cultural marxists and his entire industry is based around being young men's first experience to someone reading meaning into stories in a real way so his absolute loving drivel of 'you see in Peter Pan the children don't want to grow up because Captain Hook is the only adult they see around them...and that means somehow the feminists and minorities are destroying the world' seems revolutionary and amazing.

He's probably one of the genuinely dumbest pieces of poo poo in the west but his entire scam is trying to make sure he's the first and only person his target demo encounters like a fuckin cult leader.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Falstaff posted:

Jordan Peterson does story analysis? But he's not that kind of humanities professor - he's a clinical psychologist.

Of course, he's also not a philosophy professor, but he's never let that stopped him from calling his ideas "philosophy", so I guess I shouldn't be surprised that he'd delve into other areas for which he's ill-equipped.

Yea that's the grift. He gets to say 'I'm in humanities' which is not a lie but because we straight don't teach humanities worth a drat in America his crowd assumes that means he's a master of all humanities topics. So when HE says we need to destroy the gender/racial studies and purge the arts of anyone who disagrees that the humble lobster is to be our totem it's actually good because he's ONE OF THEM.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Contra remaining proud to be the :decorum: leftist will always kinda confuse me but I'm just glad she's not getting those freaks' usual reaction of complete freakouts.

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/993241229293969408

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea on one hand I do agree if she can actually reach these people rock on, but those comments are just 'no I still like this complete idiot fraud but you were nicer than the other mean people so thank you'.

Also a lot of the 'so much more respectful!!!!' thing makes me roll my eyes because maybe we just shouldn't show the dude who draws straight up bonkers diagrams of loopy lines leading to "DRAGON FEMININITY" and "KING ORDER" to prove that Frozen is actually communist propaganda but Sleeping Beauty was randian any respect. Maybe if we all just called him an idiot and stopped giving him any status as an intellectual he'd go away.

It's like the chess player joke, he's running in with his completely made up rule and no one is just saying 'no, get out, we don't want to play with you' so now he's just ingrained.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
^^^No he's straight up Canadian Kermit

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Still personally amazed people find Jordan Peterson charismatic.

It's really not even that, he's most of these guys' first exposure to literally any literary analysis beyond the most base level high school english 'the storm in The Tempest represents the characters' emotions as well' level stuff so any authoritative voice, even a completely wrong one, is revolutionary.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EndOfTheWorld posted:

I mean, people on the right have done enough to denigrate the humanities that people think anything other than a STEM education is liberal bullshit, so when a guy who sounds like Joseph Campbell after one too many kicks to the head starts going on about ~symbols~ the audience has no frame of reference for what a good scholar of the humanities sounds like.

Yea like I said before it's a loving amazing grift. He's part of the crowd that makes sure his target demo thinks 'humanities' is just what idiots who can't be STEMboys get into to learn gender science and anti-western views, then he comes in all 'I'm one of them and I can tell you I'm the only one NOT a brainwashed communist' so his insane poo poo is gospel.

Like, if he had any ambitions other than scamming these people I'd call him dangerous because he genuinely clearly understands social engineering better than half the alt-right guys competing with him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

I think he’s as much a dumbo as any conservative pundit. I think he fell rear end-backwards into his grift and is just doing the only thing he knows how. That maps of meaning book is from the 90s, right? He just landed in a perfect niche.

oh you can be dumb as poo poo and good at social engineering. I think him being better at it than his peers is more an indictment of how absolutely stupid his peers are than praise of his own intellect.

Like, Donald Trump is better at Ted Cruz's scam than Ted Cruz is, but neither of those dudes are what I'd call a political genius

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Ugh

Babish's new video about pies is especially great and pays tribute to someone who was taken from us way too soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgloGi5xEa8

In this spirit, go and eat a pie whether you make it yourself or don't, just shove your face in it.

yea his grilling thing made me kinda roll my eyes with how #ad it was but that was a lovely video for a delicious topic.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean he just went on a twitter rant about how "more talented" people deserve to be billionaires and that any protest against this is just holding society back.

luv 2 be progressive

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

achillesforever6 posted:

God does everyone who thinks this way think if they suck up enough about these rich assholes, that they'll be able to leech off them or get put on the life shuttle to whatever dystopian space colony these jagoffs build when the Earth becomes unlivable?

that or the whole 'republican voters are temporarily embarrassed millionaires' thing where they think they're just around the corner of making their OWN billions if only these drat regulations/government/minorities weren't in the way!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
the fact that even on the left it's been reduced to 'making his dog hiel' and not 'uploaded a video of him shouting 'gas the Jews' while cackling and showing Hitler's speeches' is probably why people have that knee jerk reaction, we let the right completely decide what that story was.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Spark That Bled posted:

So it isn't just a case of just being too old to write about teenagers, then? Because that is what the review sounded like to me, whenever it hit that button.

no, dude, this isn't that deep.

Gerwig wrote about a period piece using her own experiences to shape it and literally never claimed to be doing some kind of cultural snapshot.

The Fines are 30 year olds who haven't been around prom age kids in ages who are trying to write a hip and trendy modern youth story and failing because they don't know what youth actually is these days.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea my gut says 'I think nothing about that is true' but my internet poisoned brain says 'eh maybe'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
probably my favorite Action Park thing is the battle karts game with the cannons people outside the karts got where you could just fire the ammo at randos and ignore the actual game, AND where people discovered that if a driver of the karts snatched a round (I wanna say they were straight up just tennis balls?) they could wedge it in the controls somehow to make the speed limiter gently caress up. Like, that level of negligence CAN'T be accidental, that had to be someone making the ride and trying to do a loving cheat code in real life.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Yardbomb posted:

4, as miserable as it was, I'd gladly play over 3 again. 4 at least had a neat map and some good set pieces (That they wasted but oh well) and since Bethesda were never gonna really try with the RPG side anymore, might as well make it a better shooty game so they can hopefully farm out the next installment to someone who can write again.

I completely agree. I don't like either but if it was a 'gun to your head pick one' thing I'll go 4 every time.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

I want to like the Dom but I realized I can't deal with people whining about how adaptations aren't 100% accurate.

same. Seems like a decent enough guy and show but I'm just incredibly over the whole 'critiquing an adaptation by just saying how different it is'. Obviously there are cases where that should be part of it but I'm just kinda bored with ones that are focused on it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Tired Moritz posted:

i read it and I dont really get what's their point

edit: I reread it and I kinda get it but I don't really think the new GoW is really promoted as a feminist masterpiece.

there are absolutely painting the new GoW as some huge leap forward in gender roles and all and tons of terrible 'GoW taught me to be a better dad' takes. It's kinda fair to say 'yea but this is like the avatar of toxic masculinity in modern gaming' in response. Like, you can say 'well that's the point of THIS game, to change him' and I agree but it also wouldn't have had such a huge launch if not for the GoW brand.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm a big fan of when ~animation fans~ get all huffy about how all new shows look exactly alike and their proof is like, if you take one design that doesn't even really match up and put it in a white void then it kinda sorta looks the same as another not really matching design in another white void.

Like, I 100% get why there's the instinct to just laugh at these people even if it's probably not a professional response.

edit: And since someone asked where this comes from. It's the "CAL ARTS IS RUINING ANIMATION" meme but with the name filed off after tons of people replied to it with examples of artists with super unique styles coming from Cal Arts the first time. It's literally just a conspiracy theory that started with some egg's 'I didn't even WANT to go to that school so it doesn't matter I didn't get in they SUCK anyway' rant and got mixed in with the kinda people who think computer animation is basically murdering the entire industry.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 20, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997616125356605440

Pretty much sums it up, using like, at best maybe two cartoons from the same studio that have similar looks as proof that basically animation sucks now because everyone uses the same style is real dumb when we're actually in an incredibly diverse time for animation style.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Testekill posted:

Just make everything Voltron. Give everyone giant robot lions

I can't think of a show that'd not be improved with robot lion mechs

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoids, But More

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alacron posted:

Don't know if it was for a video but they apparently hung out together
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/999442109374414849

There were some differences of opinion
https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/999485400589549569

https://twitter.com/JennyENicholson/status/999485804186558465

She's right, Lindsay is a monster.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I've learned the best thing to say in situations like his is 'my thoughts and prayers are with his family'. Whatever's at the end he's there and his part of this world is done regardless of how you feel about him, I'm very said for his wife and kin left behind because this is a devastating thing to happen to them that they still have to live with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
could just not post them, we're very aware youtube gaming community is mourning him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
"I learned ethics from TB" is a fantastic sentence in every sense of that word

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Feels like "butthurt" was a poor choice there

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol the handwringing from this is insane

You mean people on a forum I'm not reading are mocking death? On fair SA? The fiends! The internet critic thread must see!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
that ruled and wasn't dumb at all

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

cosmically_cosmic posted:

In a movie where a character is an 8 foot nonverbal alien dog, what really pisses people off is that this woman dyed her hair pink. UNREALISTIC.

Or she's just one of those human-ish aliens and it's natural.

yea I fully agree there's nothing inherently bad about seeing the new SW and going 'eh, not my thing I'll stick to the originals' but I absolutely love loving with the "THIS ISN'T REALISTIC" or "THE PLOT IS TOO SIMPLE/CONVENIENT" crowd by just pointing at the original theory.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Kim Justice posted:

Considering that what I said about low points can pretty much apply to Twitter as well, thank heavens for decent content

:trumppop:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
You can disagree and all plenty but just maybe don't be shocked that not everyone agrees with a stance of 'well he made good review videos' should make 'he also was a huge rear end in a top hat to anyone not like him and often would get his fans to attack people he disliked for no reason' something that has to be sealed in a secret vault forever.

Like yea no poo poo he's not Steve Scalise, who's getting his pecker and balls blown off was hilarious because he's an active white supremacist controlling American politics, but if the bar is that low what even is the point of having one.

Things that own and are funny:

-Scalise getting his balls blown off and still being such an NRA slave he said 'actually guns are great' like as soon as he got out of the hospital.
-John McCain's brain being scooped out with an ice cream scoop
-Reagan died making GBS threads his pants and thinking movie scripts were real

Things that don't own but also aren't gonna be viewed as super sacred by a not-minor amount of people and maybe that's fine:

-an rear end in a top hat who a fair amount of his career was built on attacking others is dead and being called a 'great thinker' and a 'legend' who taught people about ethics.

There is a scale, but that doesn't mean it's an all or nothing scale.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 27, 2018

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

business hammocks posted:

You’d expect reality tv to eventually develop a following similar to professional wrestling, as they seem extremely similar from the outside.

in pro wrestling you get to watch the bad guy get thrown through a table, typically in reality shows the best you get is a drink toss.

That's why Real Housewives rule so hard, by the way, because they're the closest to full pro wrestling style reality TV.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
And he also did a lot of poo poo like that toaster tweet and whined about how you can't MAKE anyone use your pronouns because of free speech and would sic his dipshit fans that he clearly didn't scold too much on trans streamers/devs and all who pissed him off because whoo boy those comments were always fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
When your ethics revolve around 'don't embarrass me when I'm in the room and can be blamed directly' it's not surprising when people don't believe they actually exist.