Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
To me it seems like its main use was answering questions with a bigger character limit than Twitter, but without having to make a whole blog post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
What's the worst thing they could possibly try? Skits where they impersonate and mock former CA staff to "recreate" what "actually" happened?

I mean, they wouldn't possibly do that, but it's about the worst they could do without, like, suing the Not So Awesome auths for defamation.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorGonzo1969 posted:

He supported GamerGate. Generally from what I've gleamed of Larry, he's a bit of an anti-PC conservative-ish person.

From everything I've heard, that's more former. I heard he doesn't agree with that anymore? I mean, he's not like as left as me or the majority of this thread, but not that anymore,

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm not sure if looking up and posting a pic of someone's personal FB is ethically kosher.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Joseph Anderson reviews The Stanley Parable; complains about the design choice of it taking 5 years to get the "don't play for 5 years" achievement.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

The quest for the legendary Worst Take is finally over.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Adlai Stevenson posted:

At the very least one of his entries, Belladonna of Sadness, is about a 70s film that only in the past decade or so was released stateside in any form and seems like a pretty deep cut overall. There's also a clear line to be drawn from older series (namely Astro Boy, which the director of Belladonna also worked on) to it and beyond, so that's interesting. Never seen it myself though.

Belladonna is a lot to digest as a film. It's one of the most hella early '70s things I've ever seen. It's extremely surreal and psychadelic, and while the narrative is pretty straightforward it's also distinctly foreign (feeling more French than Japanese, probably because it was somewhat based on a French book with a huge asterisk on that). It's probably one of my top 20 films, just because there's so much to digest in it. Be prepared for a lot of panning over watercolor stills, though, they hand animated a lot of really surreal crap to the point I feel bad for the tweeners, but they had to save budget somewhere. It reminds me a lot of Fantastic Planet in that way, except it gets way more abstract.

I've only seen it once and need to watch it again just to digest it. It's also probably a hell of a ride high if you're into that.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Apr 19, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Vanderdeath posted:

Bennett's no true sage of anime until he reviews all of Legend of the Galactic Heroes. :colbert:

I saw Belladonna when it was in a limited run here at a college film festival and even though there were only like fifteen people max, the confusion in that room was palpable. I really loved its aesthetic and direction but the story was rather...yeah.

Also CW for rape. Like, real no joke CW. Like the plot centers on a woman who gets raped.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I don't want to be too condescending and credulous but... What? the Plinkett stuff isn't even in the same league as Lindsay's mini-documentary/analysis given part 3. MAYBE taking into account the relative maturity of the medium at the time but even then.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
To be clear, I find Lindsay's way better due to part 3 and the sheer research and effort that went into gathering data and interviewing people about the ramifications of the film (even with potential errors). Which isn't to say an analysis must do that, there are plenty of analyses that don't bother doing that sort of research that are even better than her review trilogy, even on Lindsay's own channel. Parts 1 and 2 of her review are quite good on their own, but with just those I could probably call it a matter of taste vs Plinkett, even considering what I feel to be Lindsay's more thorough approach to analyzing the story of the production of the films. It's certainly not her strongest set of videos, I enjoyed her Hunchback and Hercules ones, among others, much more (with perhaps my favorite being her Rent critique). It's the presence of part 3 that really cinches it to me.

The Plinkett reviews I really believe I can only describe as "important and good for their medium and time". They've been eclipsed by other video reviews that put much more craft and thought into their arguments and production, like, at least most of the time, Kyle, Lindsay, Big Joel, Innuendo Studios, Dan, and so on (leaving out Lupa because it's apples to oranges largely with what Plinkett was aiming to do). But then, I generally lean towards "let's use this movie for a springboard to talk about some topic" (the 3 act structure, environmentalism, the cultural/legal impact of a film, whatever) more than "let's criticize this thing" so take my opinion with that in mind.

(PS yes I know Plinkett is a character but it's easier to refer to the character as the author rather than "RLM's Plinkett character" or "the Plinkett reviews" or whatever)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

business hammocks posted:

This isn’t a review thing exactly, but I guess it’s kind of Night Mind-related: DarkHarvest01, a slenderman-related youtube series from 2010 has started back up. It’s been silent since 2012 at least and was never very good. But now that the kids behind it have graduated from high school and college, maybe it will have some kind of conclusion that Night Mind will go apeshit for.

I think the old series are colluding or something because EMH updated twice this month after being dead for 2 years, and Tribe Twelve is tweeting (though I think that one was still semi-active).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

a medical mystery posted:

One of the reasons I like the mainline SMT style of design is that even combat systems aside, the map itself is a dangerous antagonist full of traps that can hurt you, put you in combats way over your head, or waste precious resources. Even when the mainline series went third-person it maintained the dungeon-crawling paradigm it inherited from being initially inspired by games like Wizardry. It feels less like the map is a way to get from point A to point B and more like it's an experience of navigating a hostile environment.

Yeah, the most difficult JRPGs that aren't grind-fests tend to be closer to what I'd term resource management games. They're about dispatching things quickly and efficiently, because a dungeon will bleed you dry pretty handily if you get careless, even if individual battles aren't too hard. These games also tend to be of the "it seems easy but when things go wrong they go REALLY wrong" variety, where suddenly because you can't hit enemy weakness X they have the opportunity to to do Y and Z which locks down your party which causes...

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
For some reason Hbomb's review reminds me of John Green's review of True Skate just due to taking something ubiquitous and innocuous and goes all out with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x640o9ofqDM

(Every time I watch that video I think of how crucified someone with a gamer audience would get if they posted that as a review).

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Big Joel has an incredibly good video on The Red Pill

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

super sweet best pal posted:

I one thing I thought was funny was how Mikey said it took him three viewings of TLJ before he liked it, because now he understood it. If he actually liked it he would have liked it in spite of not getting the themes the first couple times around.

What? I'm not sure I'm on board with the idea that you have to like a movie on the first watch or two to "truly" like it. I've absolutely had films (and books, and albums) that I didn't like until I properly digested them, whether that took time, repeat experiences, or discussions with others about it. And I enjoy sitting through them perfectly fine now, so it's not just an "on paper" like.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

I don't believe you, he was assassinated after revealing the truth behind Polybius.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

tudabee posted:

I finally got around to watching Dan's Fifty Shades video and I really appreciate that he brings up its fanfiction origins beyond the "lol fanfiction" that most do.

I find fanart as a medium strangely fascinating, but there seems to be little critical discussion about it outside maybe as a vehicle for female power fantasy. But from the start, as Dan mentions, it had a huge social component not just among fans but between fans and the authors because the authors themselves are also "just fans" of the original work. Then you get things like AUs that might be used by multiple people and it's an interesting source of communal storytelling. And drama, of course, but that's just people.

So.. Thanks (unironically) for making me think about fanart, Dan!

I mean, tbh, the entire concept of "canon" and "official" works vs "fan" works is kind of hosed. Fanfiction of books is one of the few areas where the number of people who really meaningfully make it (one or two) is small and influential enough that a fanfic is glaringly, unambiguously different from a sequel. Like, the only real difference between, say, the Han Solo movie and SW fanfiction is who owns the license and that's really tied up in our societal ideas about IP. Even The Empire Strikes back was done by very different people than ANH as far as editors and director goes. It's actually kind of interesting to think about how our modern concept of "ownership" really draws a clear line between "fan works" and "real sequels" that's actually really blurry in practice.

Of course, that's a really shallow discussion of it. For instance, "fanfiction" is a genre of its own right, with its own genre conventions and contrivances that sort of bleed over the tone of the "official" property, and the "official" sequels ostensibly (but not always) have some concept of quality control fanfic doesn't (fanfic being self-published and fanfic communities being largely open to post on outside certain content censorship boundaries). But fundamentally you hit a ship of Theseus with even straight up sequels to any collaborative artform, much less adaptations or spinoffs or reboots or reinterpretations. Dan kind of touches on this with his "there are a million Batman spinoffs with Batman as a knight or..." thing.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Puppy Time posted:

For the vast majority of human history, we didn't really have a concept of "fanfiction" or even strictly of owning creative work. People just grabbed stories and characters willy-nilly and put their own spins on them. It wasn't until the advent of the printing press (and its ability to quickly make copies of a work for sale) that the western world started to think about creators' ownership rights, which arguably led to the current situation where we believe in a separation between the writer of a published work and the writer of a work on Wattpad.

Oh definitely, I wasn't trying to come at it from a perspective of "ownership" so much as I guess "spiritual consistency." Like going into a work with a similar ethos, background, and mindset more than just IP ownership, which is why I emphasized novels as one of the few areas where this may soooorta apply. Even in antiquity authorship could be important, not for ownership but for classifying themes or tone or whatever else between multiple pieces by the same person. I feel like a continuity of authorship does mean something at least (not good or bad, just as a matter of fact), it's just essentially meaningless with dealing with so-called sequels or spinoffs in the vast majority of massively collaborative projects like film, TV, or (most) games.

It's also actually comical that we demean fanfiction and then have a straight faced discussion about BBC Sherlock vs the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movie vs Elementary. Like, it really doesn't matter who "owns" a property, if people were allowed to openly and widely publish and distribute this sort of derivative work we'd still discuss them on their merits like we do the billions of Sherlock Holmes adaptations. It would just be "Meyer Twilight" vs "Leonard Twilight" vs "Taylor-Johnson/Marcel Twilight" instead of this weird, often even nonsensical authorship/fanfiction divide we have now.

Now, whether this is tenable when people can hijack your work to turn the lead into a Nazi symbol or you need to sell sequels to survive in our capitalist hellscape is another matter entirely, I'm speaking somewhat in the abstract more than advocating a specific action like "repealing IP laws by next year" or whatever.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I mean, I think the most toxic thing about fanfiction that really gets them the most flak (aside from "it's a womz thing") is that it's in that dark part of nerddom where people construct their entire identity around what media they like. Fanfiction is where you get the really dark side of "I am a <x> fan and a <y> fan and that is my primary identity" with all the baggage that comes with that. It leads to a lot of infighting, hugboxing, feuding, and cliquishness. Of course, it's not inherent to fanfiction as a concept, but it's heavily aligned with the current climate of fanfiction as it exists on the internet.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
https://twitter.com/FreakinClever/status/1002364837786214400?s=17

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Yeah, my interest in RTS games extends almost solely to fun, varied campaigns. Warcraft 3 is my favorite, and World in Conflict was probably the last game that really did one that I was super engaged with. Trying to focus on a competitive multiplayer RTS feels to me like trying to make a WoW killer. The playerbase will decide whether it becomes competitive if the game gets a community, pushing a game as a purely multi experience isn't going to reach many people other than "Starcraft players bored of Starcraft".

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Mark Brown made a video on this a little bit ago and I agree on his take that I think that for accessibility reasons (esp. including accommodating disability) it's positive to encourage games to have modes that allow people to skip or otherwise breeze through content, but also to mark the mode as "not being the intended experience for most players" in some way.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

To share a personal anecdote, I've struggled to try and get through the Baldur's Gate games. I finished the first one, but I still haven't finished BG2. I made it to the start of Chapter 6, but I think someone said that I was under-leveled and that I needed to do the other quests and part of Watcher's Keep dungeon before trying to tackle the last part of the story. I've given serious thought to just turning on the 'Story Mode' setting to just breeze through the last half of the game, but I'm still hesitant to do so (be it stubborn pride or whatever). As it is, it's sitting on my hard drive, taking up space.

The thing is, I know it's more my fault than it is the game's. I'm still shocked that there are mods to make the game harder, because I struggle to make it through on Normal difficulty. It's a game where the combat is real in-depth with the range of classes, party members, and spells you have access to. Playing it on Story Mode doesn't sit well with me because otherwise, you're essentially cutting out the core of the experience.

Now, in the case of Planescape Torment, the highlight of that game was it's writing, but I know that people who are fans of that game have said that the combat in it is terrible compared to other IE games. Because of that, I wouldn't feel bad about playing it in Story Mode.

The thing is, old IE games were really targeted to an audience who had pretty good knowledge of 2nd ed AD&D as a prerequisite, and if you're not that context is kind of lost on you. I'm not saying you won't miss anything by excising the combat; for instance you'll lose small hints like "maybe I should try and resolve this peacefully because this fight is extremely hard and that means I probably shouldn't be doing it", but the game doesn't exactly intend for you to be soft-bewildered by a bunch of THAC0 and weapon classes and hit die min/maxing. CRPGs have never really had a great gameplay/story integration experience. Class imbalance especially also frequently gets in the way of conversations. Especially in older CRPGs where you have a limited number of points and combat skills and speech skills are competing. You also still get the gist of how hard a fight is on story mode because you'll see your characters getting hurt really fast and get a sense of how the enemies move or how long they take to kill.

IE games are really at odds with themselves design-wise, and I'm not sure they're the best example of "a story mode cuts out the core of the experience." I think it's fine for people to want different things from the game. I never found BG's combat particularly entertaining despite beating it as a kid, it was always kind of a chore.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

FoldableHuman posted:

Maybe unpopular opinion, but while I love and respect the From games, the Wiki-dump read-every-tooltip method of worldbuilding slash storytelling is maybe not the model that should be adopted across the board.

I agree, but I also think that it's a very, very good fit for that whole "video game archaology" aesthetic they're going for, where you're kind of trudging around at the end of things. Too many games have adopted it without thinking, but in concept and execution I think it benefits the Soulsborne games.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Max Wilco posted:

https://twitter.com/radicalbytes/status/811840580674125824

"Clearly all of the people I blocked were at fault, and not me" :jerkbag:

Reminder that several of those were literally just queer women who went "what are you talking about you turd? We like Tracer being a lesbian let us have this."

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Sucks, I liked Ubisoft conference, the new asscreed has me hyped enough to buy Thucydides tome on it.

The new Assassin's Creed is basically just Ubi looking sideways at Bioware and going "... well if you're not gonna do it right anymore." Which I appreciate.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Uh... okay this is a thread topic.

Here's a video from Errant Signal about an indie trans game called Secret Little Haven I helped edit the script for. Be nice he was very afraid to even go into the trans aspect cuz he didn't want to mess up because he's a sweetie and a dork.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Puppy Time posted:

It was a great video and I would probably play that game if the soundtrack didn't turn me off badly.

I need to watch ES more. He's good stuff.

You would literally miss nothing if you muted the game's music and just played your own.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Kunster posted:

I was honestly warmed up when I saw that Secret Little Heaven vid on my dash! Actually familiar with the dev, to the point she actually commissioned some work from me. It's honestly a good tie between technological and game play stuff + storytelling.

And yeah you can just put your own music there, at most it might make some of the story have slightly less impact but its still worth a push.

I know a few people who muted the music and played the exact music they played when surfing the internet as an extremely online late 90s early 00s egg to complete the "oh god what even is this game" experience.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Testekill posted:

Tangentially related but the enhanced edition of Baldurs Gate included an expansion pack that had a trans woman in it. Gamers being gamers, they reacted exactly like you'd expect.

Man, I have mixed feelings on that character. Chuds reacted like chuds, but also it was about as awkward as the ME Andromeda "hello yes let me tell you about my transition, player character" thing. It wasn't bad representation per se, but having a character whose entire being is:

1.A random guard
2. Hello yes I am the trans

is kinda awkward.

But I also feel bad complaining about it because like... I don't want to add any semblence of legitimacy to the people going apeshit because the ess-jay-dubs or whatever.

(E: I wrote this before your edit. This probably explains how well it was handled, which amounts to "awkwardly but not maliciously")

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

John Murdoch posted:

It's incredibly telling that there are loads and loads of stories of rear end in a top hat DMs giving people cursed belts of sex change or w/e but the moment somebody in that world wants to use that magic intentionally it's the worst thing ever.

Also I thought Beamdog said at some point that they were going to go back and do that character justice, because they agreed she was shallowly written (and also because it would piss off the chuds even more).

There actually was already a cursed belt of gender change in either BG or NWN, I think you find it on an ogre

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jul 3, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Sio posted:

The truly egregious thing about Andromeda’s trans representation wasn’t even the abrupt disclosure, because as you say that’s just the shallow nature of npc interaction across the board and while the conversation didn’t flow well at all, at least openly disclosing trans status or taking pride in being visibly trans are real things that people actually do.

No, the really inexcusable thing was the way Hainly deadnames herself for literally no reason while disclosing, which is just a totally unthinkable act for the vast majority of trans folk — it’s really hard to imagine a more effective way to signal that this character wasn’t really aimed at the people she was supposed to be representing so much as an attempt at being inclusive for inclusivity’s sake without really understanding what they were trying to include.

Well, even beyond that it was like "let me tell you about that time I went on an ark to another galaxy to go deep stealth". Like, the things wrong with that are mind-boggling. I guess in the cool ME future trans people are still poo poo on. I guess they're still disowned by their families and denied opportunities and need to stealth. I guess trans tech is so bad that despite gene therapy and all the other huge breakthroughs in medical tech complete with actual magic wound healing gel you can slather on gory combat wounds, our primary method of trans care is still the same lovely HRT we've been using since the early-mid 1900s.

Like, say what you will about Shadowrun and Cyberpunk being lovely with transpeople losing their "humanity" because they put all body modification and cybernetics in the same class without thinking like dinguses, but at least they bothered to imagine their future tech being used for it at all unlike Mass Effect: Andromeda where they basically just plucked a token trans narrative from the present day and transported it into a future with amazing medical tech without even considering how it might affect trans care the least bit.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 3, 2018

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

OmanyteJackson posted:

True, but once you know the name, your only 1 or 2 links away from a "top 10 most racist lovecraft stories".

I don't think the difference is in how racist he was, because everyone agrees HP Lovecraft was racist, it's more how mad should you be that HP Lovecraft was racist and I'm of the opinion that you shouldn't be mad at all. He's a product of the system of white supremacy and not an active contributor unlike many other men of his time who still have there names on rewards, money, theme parks, monuments, etc.

I'm not mad per se, but it colors his work in a way that just being kind of racist in your personal life doesn't. Like, it's hard to miss the blatantness of it when reading any of it, which is a bit unfortunate. I can stomach it enough to enjoy the parts I enjoy, in small doses at least, but I don't blame anyone who can't.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

khwarezm posted:

Yeah, it really wasn't. Here's a challenge, try to come up with any possible storyline for a Jurassic Park movie that isn't either utterly hokey schlock or just retreading what happens in the first movie.

It's not possible, everything that they could do with the concept was already done with the first movie before you start getting into 'T-Rex attacks LA!' or 'Genetically altered monster-dino auction with a little clone girl(?!?)'.

Jurassic Park except it's Free Willie with a shitton of dinosaurs.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1020344331499012096?s=20

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Solitair posted:

So with the Charmed reboot there's plenty of room for improvement, but with the Buffy one I honestly don't know, because I've never seen the original show. Does it hold up?

Buffy is really rough in spots and suffers from the seasons being 22 episode seasons rather than the more compact 12 45-min episodes we have now. I compare it to (Nu) Doctor Who* in that it's a real grab bag of absolutely stellar episodes, trash episodes, and mostly mediocre episodes, but unlike Doctor Who you kind of need to watch it serially, it doesn't work nearly as well watching episodes as one-offs.

It has some really bad missteps, but it's definitely watchable.

* Which got inspiration from Buffy, so not surprising.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Gnome de plume posted:

Question is do we want them following up on Dawn being a giant/a centaur/dating Xander

Okay I heard about the last one but what for the first two. The way I heard it told was that she and Xander bonded over being the only normal rear end non-magic wielding humans of the group. Or did all this happen after.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like watching Shaun's CinemaSins videos. Is it the better part of me? Probably not, but I like watching dumb videos like Cinema Sins' get dunked on just because I find the general approach to media somewhat insufferable. Nitpicking can be fun sometimes, certainly, but especially when it reaches so hard for comedy it reminds me of a lot of insufferable people I've seen talk about movies elsewhere that think a few flaws in internal logic discredit an entire film.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
It's actually a video about the value of truth, morality, and empathy using Mononoke as a case study. It's not actually arguing "Lady Eboshi is Wrong" in a fan argument sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
His Tyranny video was my favorite, I'd say try that one and check out if you don't like it.

Also, personally, I have a really, really hard time concentrating on audio only or text only. I don't know why. Like trying to listen to podcasts is an exercise in me realizing I zoned for 30 minutes and missed half of it. Trying to read long text articles works sometimes, but on bad days (which is a lot of them) I legit end up reading paragraphs or pages only to realize they've drifted through me and I didn't comprehend anything, and then I go back and it happens over and over until I give up because I just cannot comprehend longform text that day. No idea why it happens, people have speculated maybe I have ADHD but I have no idea. Videos work though, even the ones with pure B roll, something about being able to watch motion related to the topic and having editing anchors synced up (no matter how infrequent or slight) really grounds me and keeps me able to listen somehow.

E: Tho obviously releasing a podcast option would be fine for me, I just like the video format.