Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Baka-nin posted:

Before this thread gets started I think we should all take a moment of reflection and look at the last threads wall of shame.

How the hell did I manage 614 posts? I didn't think I posted nearly as much as other people, and yet I made it to the 12th rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Leal posted:

I hope Guru Larry's farewell to Channel Awesome is releasing a Top 5 Doug Walker Moments video.

https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/st...312735806087169
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/st...323133204627456

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

EDIT: Removed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Apr 11, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

lornekates posted:

We couldn't even make it THREE pages? Really? REALLY?

Sorry, I'll remove it. I was actually in the process of deleting it when the probation hit.

In lieu of posting something else controversial, instead I'll just say that LGR put up a video on Museum Madness.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Listen, the PS1 is when all the dudebro jocks started liking video games and they became bad! Before they were creative and fun but with the PS1 is when they became trash and pandered to idiots (more like sub-humans who should be prevented from breeding if you ask me) that tried to imitate the greatness of the older stuff. Here, in my new 8 part series of four hour videos I will explain to you all of this.

This, but replace 'PS1' with 'XBOX'. (Unless Bob actually did say something in the video about PS1, in which case )

Maybe he's bitter at the fact that he knows the Dynasty Warriors movie is going to blow Rampage out of the water.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

There's going to be a Dynasty Warriors movie? Why would you bother after Three Kingdoms the miniseries was so perfect? Do they just want the marginally sillier costumes?

I think it's that, and seeing Guan Yu smash through hundreds of grunts like in the games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-z5PbO2_rAY

Looks awesome. Don't imagine we'll get it stateside, but still...

Terrible Opinions posted:

And he once again uses Halo as his shorthand for terrible videogame. What a loving baby.

This is something I really can't stand about Bob. It reminds me of myself when I was younger, where I was adamant about not playing shooters and action games because I blamed them for the death of the adventure game genre. Eventually, though, I realize that was dumb (as well as incorrect), and that I was missing out on a lot of games because of that.

Back when Halo was at height of its popularity, I was on the bandwagon of people who thought Halo was overrated and was responsible for the death of classic FPS style (Quake, Duke3D, etc.). However, in the last couple of years, I've looked at the Halo games, and I have thought about playing them (not that Microsoft has made it real easy), because they do seem pretty solid.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8RVU2RtxY0

Did I go overboard with this? I don't want to get probated again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Halo games (up until 4 when they change studios) are all quite good and well worth a play if you have the opportunity to do so.

I think what people like Bob hate about them though is that Halo really did fundamentally change the market for videogames; Prior to it, they were something of a niche hobby outside of kids playing the new Mario/Sonic/etc, but suddenly you've got this easy-to-learn mature-themed shooter that just about anyone can pick up and play for short matches. Online. That caused a big explosion in game development, because there was a veritable gold rush to chase Halo sales figures with anything they can think of.

Hell some studios still measure success by Halo-level numbers.

You still sort of had that with games like Quake, I know PS2 or Dreamcast got in with online thing with Phantasy Star Online or some other game, but I get what you're saying. Halo and its online was a lot more accessible.

I think what annoys me is there's this lamentation about how it lead to a deluge of slow-paced, military-themed (Call of Duty, Medal of Honor, Battlefield, etc.) that lack creativity and just try to cash in on the same success. From my perspective,though, it's not much different from the '90s, where the success of Mario and Sonic lead to abundance of mascot platformers trying to copy that (Aero the Acrobat, Bubsy, Awesome Possum, that duck with the electrical cord for a tail, James Pond). Hell, nowadays, you have the whole thing with the whole MOBA/FPS hybrids or those Battle Royale-esque shooters (Overwatch, Battleborn, Fortnight, PUBG)

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Halo games (up until 4 when they change studios) are all quite good and well worth a play if you have the opportunity to do so.

The games done by Bungie I've heard are all good, but the only one I have available to play is the first one on PC (via a mod of the PC port called SPV3). I don't have an XBONE, and from what I remember, the Master Chief Collection is still broken, meaning that I'd probably have to seek out a classic XBOX and the individual games.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 12, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CAís management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status...5681969153?s=21

Goddammit, I liked JW's vids. That how I found out about games like Yakuza.

Is there no end to this nightmare?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 12, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

The last few pages make me want to stop following the thread, because it's getting really depressing. At the same time, I feel like if I do, then I'd be out of the loop about this stuff.

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/NJ4K1/status/984648820624572416

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Playstation 4 posted:

PO's arc felt like a wankfest for COs written by a CO, Finns arc felt like Disney just whimpering in a corner "Please don't actually expect us to let the black character do anything relevant!", Luke/Rey/WideloadKen arc was legit great though.

I haven't seen Last Jedi yet, but didn't Finn get his back/spine grazed with a lightsaber and left in a coma at the end of Force Awakens?

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

lornekates posted:

So a certain admin, FactsAreUseless, has decided to demod me. This was out of nowhere, and without any consultation with me, or with any other admin. The only reason I got is that I was being "too professional", and enforcing rules. The only way I can read this is that someone didn't like their probe, and complained to their admin friend. Just my feeling. (FYI: it wasn't anyone in this thread. Y'all are cool and I love you).

This, needless to say, hurts quite a bit. I've been wanting to participate more in the recent discussion, but I'm a bit heartbroken. Being perfectly honest, I don't know if I'll do any more than lurk. On the other hand, I'll sleep on that for the weekend. If I do go away, please be not-assholes to each other.

Any discussion I've had with other mods or admins seems to boil down to "no one but FAU seems to have decided this, so nothing we can do". So if you want any more information about what happened, or reinstatement, that's something you'll need to discuss with the admin of your choice.

Given that RDG basically only has 6 threads of note, and only 2 of them produce mod reports, I'm completely baffled as to how anyone can think too much time is spent on mod reports for a particular thread. It's-- literally just statistics.
I'll say that I noticed after you became a mod, you've started to double post (that is, make a post, and then make another post immediately after before someone else posted or responded), and from what I've gleaned, that's usually frowned upon.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

lornekates posted:

1) I've always done that
2) It has nothing to do with becoming or not becoming a mod
3) Your frown only?
4) If I'm reading 100+ new posts I ain't scrolling backwards through a tiny screen to find a different message to quote
5) That isn't what double post means

?

I was under the assumption that it was against the rules or at least poor etiquette on Something Awful to make multiple posts in a row without waiting for someone to respond first. If you realize there's something else you wanted to include in after you post, you just edit the post instead of making another one.

business hammocks posted:

If anyone tries to rescue Brad from his contract, it should preferably involve a ragtag group of hairy, badly dubbed Italian men, preferably using some kind of homemade armored killdozer with like some buzzsaws and a flamethrower. Also itís really racist and out of focus 20% of the time.

A video about Brad leaving CA, but it's just one of the anniversary movies with new footage shot to show there's now a subplot about Brad trying to escape with the aid of Pierre Kirby.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 13, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

BobbyK posted:

Are there any internet review people who are not boring rear end white people?

There's Satchbag, who's part of NormalBoots (https://www.youtube.com/user/satchbags). I've not watched any of his stuff, though, outside of his video on Fez.

There's MarsReview (https://www.youtube.com/user/InfenoBearGaming/featured), who does animation reviews. He was the guy who did the video on the weird 2nd season/reboot of George of the Jungle .

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/trilllizard666/...271080410529792

I can't believe I forgot about the Inspector Gadget thing.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 15, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

EDIT: Quote is not edit.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Ema Nymton posted:

I was going to go to bed a few hours ago and then checked this thread and I found out about Justin turning out to be a sleazeball. This is just terrible. Terrible. I feel awful that I looked up to Jewwario when I should not have.

On top of it all, it pisses me off so much Gamergate scumbags coming out of the woodwork again to assert their lovely, disgusting dominating personalities to prove how right they are about... about... I don't even know what they gently caress they're trying to say. One of them has used a screenshot of the above post in which FoldableHuman predicts that he'll be accused of poo poo to accuse FoldableHuman of poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mombot/status/984812545637728256

Agggg This fucker on twitter is willfully ignoring the fact that GG people are well known to harass women. I know exactly what FoldableHuman means by "the risk factor that is the GamerGate crowd". He means that they loving harass and threaten people's lives (specifically women who accuse men of sexual misconduct). And now this shithead is acting like none of that poo poo ever happened?!

I think some people are angry because people knew but nobody took action.
https://twitter.com/DavidGX/status/984906018348990465
https://twitter.com/_icze4r/status/984906760036200448
https://twitter.com/Will3316/status/984907721727193088
https://twitter.com/DatingSims/stat...908086413615105
https://twitter.com/DavidGX/status/984908247130832905
https://twitter.com/sojaro/status/984906644919373825

Part of it could miscommunication or misunderstanding (Dan pointed out he didn't officially know until recently but I think some are under the impression that he knew from the beginning), but I think some are also angry about the sentiment of 'We didn't want to tell anyone, because GG would have a field day with it'.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 15, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

That's mostly true tbh, especially when such things as games mags historically sucking are in his wheelhouse (and mine tbh) he didn't say much about it after the early days.

Larry isn't so much a "both sides have their extremes" person as he is a "just not terribly political at all" person.

From what little I've seen from videos by people like Larry and Ashens, it seems like UK game magazines had way worse problems than I recall US magazines ever having. The one that stands out was that video Ashens did on Renegade 3, where magazines gave it glowing reviews, when in reality, the game barely functioned.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

I liked Charlie Brookers nonsense that he did for PCGamer back in the day like the underground pokemon battle articles. It seemed like games mags used to be more than just previews/reviews but I guess that was back when people actually bought them.

I never played the game or read the review, but I remember one of PC Gamer's more controversial reviews was the high score they gave to Sierra's Outpost, which turned out to be a really bad game. However, the issue with that was that the version they review was different than what was released.

Lightning Knight posted:

Games journalism is poo poo, but anybody who's been paying attention to the wider world outside of video games the last few years (admittedly a big ask, I know) will realize that journalism in general is poo poo.

Of course, the problem with journalism isn't [whatever right wing poo poo heads are on about this week, usually women or black people], it's capitalism.

So long as we're talking about capitalism and the right getting angry about things (not that I think that the right specifically are angry about this in particular), is it worth bringing up the whole Bully Hunters debacle?

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

I've never heard of this but a Google search tells me it's been shut down, what's the deal?

The gist of what I've gotten is that there was a show or event on Twitch where there was going to be a group of players for online games (the only one shown was Counter Strike) who would come in and...I guess take out players who were harassing people in game? There was a showcase where they did that in-game, but it was observed that the game-play was faked. It also turned out that the whole thing was sponsored by SteelSeries as way of selling headsets.

This was one of the first things I saw about it, which was a little discomforting.
https://twitter.com/PlatinumParagon...460076818845696

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 16, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

lmao of course.

The whole concept is kind of stupid but it's a good example of how the always online 24/7 streaming nature of modern gaming is ripe for abuse by both corporations and people seeking to focus on specific people.

It also begs the question, "being an rear end in a top hat in a video game" is bad, but targeted mass harassment is a whole other problem.

It got exposed pretty quickly. I think it's been somewhat overshadowed by the CA Meltdown

This guy made a video about it that goes into a bit more detail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYYa9wcxdaQ

EDIT: SteelSeries also posted this on their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/notes/stee...56227670083808/

quote:

BullyHunters pitched us with a simple idea - letís work together to fight online harassment. And because we believe thatís a noble cause, we supported it.

Itís now clear that we didnít do a good job in understanding exactly what we were supporting. And weíre sorry for that.
The way BullyHunters represented the gaming community was wrong and disingenuous. Most gamers donít experience harassment, and more importantly, 99%+ of gamers donít do the harassing. Weíre well aware of the many faults with BullyHunters. We hear you guys, and we agree.

To clear a few things up: BullyHunters was not a viral campaign stage-managed by us. We did not hire a marketing agency to create it. We didnít have anything to do with its execution, content or messaging. And more importantly, we would never take advantage of an issue like bullying to sell hardware. They asked us to supply some headsets, support the call for positive change, and we did.

Although we still believe in a world where harassment isnít tolerated, itís clear to us that BullyHunters is hurting, not helping, that cause. On Friday, we ended our support and partnership with the organization.

We apologize to those who support our brand and expect more due diligence in vetting out campaigns and partnerships we associate ourselves with.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 16, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Wow, looking at the related vids, 20/20 covered that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0MyoyRd44s

It reminds me; back when Channel Awesome was really gaining traction, I thought there'd be some day in the future where'd someone would do a documentary about it.

I'm sure there's still probably going to be a documentary about it, but most definitely not the more upbeat one I originally envisioned.

nine-gear crow posted:

Pretty much the only stumbling block to Doug landing on his feet after all this is whether he can spin a good answer to any inevitable questions that'll come up about Mike Michaud. But honestly, obsessing over anyone from CA's future career prospects is weird and creepy and tabloidy to the max.

Part of me wonder if it was Michaud's decision to axe Demo Reel and make Doug return to being the Nostalgia Critic. I'm guessing most of the decisions fall on Doug's shoulders, but him abandoning the character I thought was an interesting move. I've always been under the impression that a lot of the popular internet critics were resentful of the popularity their personas gained (notably James Rolfe with the AVGN and Mike Stoklasa with Plinkett).

nine-gear crow posted:

Seriously, why the hell do you people let Bibbs lead you down these dumb garden paths? I just fuking can't
Because Bibs' greatest talent is to take a topic that should be subjective, and then be contrarian or adamantly opposed on it and any defense to the point that it baffles everyone.

I can't tell if he's stubborn, trolling, or if he's trying to attempt some weird style of gaslight people by being so relentless with his positions that you just give up trying to argue and just accept it. "If I keep telling people that nobody wants vanilla WOW servers, eventually they'll just accept it out of desperation for me to stop!"

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 18, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Has Contra done something for her to be brought up?

MovieBob is a complete arsehole.
Zinnia Jones is also a complete arsehole.
Shaun is cool .

Who's Zinnia Jones, and what did she say? I remember you bringing her up before.

Also, is the catgirl thing about Contra referring to Chelsea Manning?

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Junpei Hyde posted:

Just general liberal failings of not understanding class issues basically and she gets obnoxious about it sometimes. IDK if she's ever done anything worse

Kim Justice posted:

She used to be an active trans youtuber, now she tweets MovieBob style opinions about how working class people are scum. Quite dislikeable and trollish frankly.

Coongrats to nine gear crow. I implore you now, save us.
Actually, now I remember where I've heard the name. She said some questionable stuff after the August Ames suicide.

Also, Bob:
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/st...511253290999809

EDIT: Oh wow, she actually literally said it, and that the replies are Russian bots:
https://twitter.com/ZJemptv/status/986013823948742668

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 18, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

The link to book is here: https://www.amazon.com/dp/163353732...p_M461Ab8YM4M61

'Written by Chris Stuckmann. Contributions by Ernest Cline, Doug Walker, Robert Walker...'

I am sort of curious as to what Doug and Rob contributed.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

As far as the whole dubbing vs. subtitle thing goes, I think it comes down to case-by-case basis. A lot of people (Bennett included, I believe) hold Black Lagoon up as an example of how a English dub can be really good.

Going somewhat in line with what Lamps said, though, I remember someone saying that anime twenty-thirty years ago was a lot more 'globalized', in that it had a more broad appeal in its content (sci-fi shows like Gundam or the like ). Nowadays, it feels like it's more insular, or rooted in Japanese culture to a point where you need knowledge of Japanese cultural norms to get a better context. In those cases, sticking to original dubbing and subtitles feels more appropriate.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Roth posted:

Rich: Jack, help, how do I beat this Bloodborne boss?

Jack: I don't know Rich. I just read the names of people who subscribe.

"Ah Rich, or some say Richard...Do you read our subscriptions? As you once did for vacuous ShowBiz Pizzabear?"

I think it's happened, where every single thing around me is Bloodborne. I just platinumed Bloodborne, Vinesauce Vinny's playing Bloodborne, and now this thread's talking about Bloodborne.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

She is smug in a more paternalistic rather than aggressive way.

If we're scaling things here, Lindsey only manages a like 2.3 on the smugness scale. By no means is she anywhere near Kyle (3.6), Dan (5.8), BotL(7.6) or HBomb (who I can't give a rating, because his smugness is such that not only can the scale handle that much, but it requires me to tare to scale afterwards).

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Miss Wallace posted:

Dunno if this is a joke I'm not getting, but Phelan's never posted on this thread.

Calling it now: Failin Porte_Potty is LorneKat's alt account.

Also, stop arguing about Man of Steel/Batman v Superman.

poparena posted:

Oh good, this thread is also garbage now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km3uZCVQyiY

I'll update this at some point so that it says 'Personality' instead of 'Critic'

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 21, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm going to be even more bummed when they cancel American Gods

Didn't they already more-or-less cancel American Gods due to financial issues?

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Botl is 100% a troll but a good one because he is effective

He certainly is, especially since he's been banned from the thread for a least a day or so now, and yet he's still managed at least a page's worth of derailing about his posts.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Not really, the prospect of "gently caress death" pretty well appeals to anyone but crazies.

Getting there is the difficulty but if the option was "Die" or "Never Die" I'm gonna say people would pick the latter regardless of the majority of backgrounds.

With the world being as crazy at it is, and trending towards getting more awful, I would honestly prefer dying, as opposed to living forever to see how much worse things get.

Hell, even if things improved, after two or three hundred years, you'd probably get tired and want to stop.

I know that's a dark thing to say, but it's one of those kinds of things where I could see things going horribly wrong if people found a way to be immortal.

Groovelord Neato posted:

fortnite is not a hard game and that guy in 4th on that list is the best at the hard game it's a ripoff of. game difficulty is immaterial, league of legends players get more viewers than dota 2. it's whatever's more popular in general.

streams don't just "blow up". they grow over time. even drdisrespect who has a gimmick and is near the top now took a couple months before he was one of the top dogs.

Fortnite was popular enough to be brought up on the Today Show. I think it was in part that Ninja (who I had never heard of, and haven't really heard much about since) was playing the game with Drake.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Apr 25, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Karloff posted:

Although it really doesn't feel like it sometimes, on the whole things are getting better. Not that there's no injustice and horror that needs to be stopped, or that it's a straight upward curve, but the overall trend is going forward. Although of course that improvement needs to be pushed by people, it doesn't happen automatically.

Although death frightens me (not so much violent or sudden death, but illness really scares me) the thing that makes me anxious about immortality was some article I read that put a dark spin on the science of it. The crux of it was that there's only so much memory one could have and that the brain isn't designed to last thousands of years, so at some point in the future you would exist but wouldn't remember where you originally came from, who your parents were, your first kiss, it would all be too long ago. Or, a potential other side effect would be that time would seem to speed up, just like a year feels a lot longer when your a child than an adult. Imagine how much a year would feel when you're 3657 years old.

hopeandjoy posted:

My stupid anxious brain keeps me up at night about my fear of death, but even I think immortality is a bad idea.

If every single person were immortal what would we do about food? Would we stop having children (unlikely) or breed until every hospitable planet is crowded? We can’t stop the heat death of the universe, probably, so what happens when there’s no more energy to move? Is that basically death, since there wouldn’t be energy to run body functions?

Forever is a long rear end time and I don’t want to experience it either.

Those are things that worry me more about it.

Like, say we find a way to prevent death, but simultaneously, we're not able to find a cure for something like depression, or arthritis. Even if there was some possibility of it in the far future, would you want to wait for a cure while your condition got worse?

Not to mention that even if you did find a way of immortality, I imagine it would only be for people. Outside of pets or sheltered animals, it might not be feasible to do for wildlife. You wouldn't be able to keep plant life alive forever. They'd still keep going through the same cycles, and I wonder what kind of effect that would have.

EDIT: In relation to Ninja, I just saw this:
https://twitter.com/G0ffThew/status/988871412768100352

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Karloff posted:

I don't really buy this argument. All criticisms and analysis of art is subjective, that's a given, there's no getting away from that. However, there's a long history of academic work, theory, ideas etc that have been accumulated for a thousand years or more that provide a framework for people to discuss and understand art. To take the example:

"Usually you want to do X. These scenes didn't do X. This is bad writing."

If we flesh that out a bit, a typical argument that uses a similar structure could be "Character makes a decision. No scenes prior communicated this is something character would do. As a result decision was dramatically unsatisfying. This is bad writing"

Whether that is right or wrong doesn't matter, but the hypothetical critic who wrote it is justifying their subjective opinion (that they found the decision unsatisfying) with a reason (it was not set-up prior, so the character's behavior seemed to come out of nowhere). To back up their argument they might then relate it to a previous work which does set up the decision (e.g Han Solo's decision to come back to save the day in Star Wars is set up with a character arc that shows him softening to the other characters, and a moment of doubt before he re-appears, making it satisfying).

It's not so much making up rules and truth-isms, as looking at the history of narratives and trying to ascertain why a certain narrative didn't work for the critic while others do. It's not demanding that films stick to a formula, but trying to argue why one such particular film's story didn't work and using a counter-example as evidence. We have a long history of narratives to look at, and it's important to study which ones seem to have an impact on people and which one's don't.

Basically, I think my main problem with that argument is that it implies that any criticism of a work must be someone just making up an objective reason to justify their subjective view, when the reality is that someone is expressing their subjective opinion and then using film academia, or the history of cinema to justify and provide evidence for that opinion. Which is not a bad thing. It is in fact, good.

When it comes to the whole objectivity/subjectivity thing, what I've found, or the realization I've come to is that a critique/opinion/whatever is largely rooted in subjectivity. Even if you dislike something, but try to speak positively, your real feelings may still bleed through. I feel like objectivity, while not paramount, is important to tempering a critique.

For example, I don't really care for Diablo. I find it a really dull game most of the time, and I think the loot system is a pain to deal with. Simultaneously, there are elements of Diablo that I really like, and I think some parts of it are better than it successors. It bothers me, because in theory, I should really like the game, because I've played games that are similar (not Diablo-clones, mind you; I mean in more broad terms like other RPGs like Elder Scrolls or something). On top of that, Diablo is a game that loved by a lot of people, and I'd be upset at tearing down something that people have a lot of love and nostalgia over.

I think it's a problem of being definitive, or authoritative. There are people who say, "Well, I liked Fallout 3 way more than New Vegas" or "I thought Dark Souls 2 was terrible compared to the first game". I don't want to be an rear end in a top hat and say that they're stupid or wrong for thinking that. Hell, there are awful games that I think are good, like Final Fantasy 8 or Mafia 3, where I think they're really interesting. At the same time, I don't want to reject the existing criticism just because I've got a different perspective on it.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Alaois posted:

I'm glad we traded out botl with botl but whinier and with even less concrete beliefs

Now that BotL is gone, there's a competition for who can take his place.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

This is a very rude thread, and very cliquey

Sometimes I see people making fun of the attitudes you see on NeoGaf/ResetEra, and sometimes I wonder if this thread is what it's like to post on one of those sites.

EDIT: MovieBob on Venom movie:

Also, this because it's...interesting...

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Unrelated, but anyone remembers Crash Team Racing?

I do.

Best kart racing game ever. Don't @ me.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There's no @ing in Somethingawful.

Oh, that's right.

My point still stands, though. CTR is the best kart racing game.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Alaois posted:

can I @ you to agree

That's fine.

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Ross is putting his videos on delay due to home issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0vA64sSdqM

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

You know, watching, it does make me wonder: how would it have been done it if Ubisoft decided to outright go and make Far Cry 5 about the right/alt-right/MAGA hat-wearers ?

https://twitter.com/bobservo/status/982047338775527425

EDIT: I'm also mad that in talking about Far Cry 2, he didn't use this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enb0zWbYUik

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:07 on May 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 22, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

FC5 teased so many things and then didn't do anything but go skin deep on them which is a drat shame, they wanted to have bits and pieces from redhats, neo-nazis, branch davidians, sovcits, preppers, 'militias', jonestown, all this poo poo and then they neglected to add any meat to the bones. Game's still a lot of fun, but man they botched the story an unbelievable amount.

Also I want to agree with a chunk of that video at least when they're actually talking about Far Cry 5, but so much of the "Far Cry 2's mechanics actually said this and this and that" stuff made me go what. Like I'm pretty sure the respawning checkpoints and malaria weren't a statement about futility dude and the fire mechanics while neat, weren't actually that much of a game defining feature for me or some introspection causing event that made me think about the fires of war being spontaneous, using "These bases and areas only had 1 way in but it's actually a better design even though it ruins different ways of playing" was another one that stood out as weird too, it just kind of sounds like better game design as opposed to being "empowering" that they let you actually use a different skillset to do what you were trying to do.

In the case of something like the weapons jamming, I see that being a good example of the 'war-torn' theming. The audio log clip he gives goes into detail about how the weapons are so old and have been moved so many times that they've become worn and unreliable. It makes for a justification of why the weapons jam all the time, apart from an aim for realism.

As for the points about fire effects, re-spawning checkpoints, or cover, that I agree with. If the point was moreso about how many of the bases or outposts were more ramshackle and hastily fit with the theme or setting, then I'd understand. However, his point is more about how cover is unreliable, since gunfire can puncture it easily. Far Cry 1 had that feature too, and I would think the reason it was taken out is because it's frustrating to get shot by enemies you can't see through walls. The fire thing I would have just chalked up to something they reduced to improve performance in FC5. As to the re-spawning checkpoints, I dunno what to say to that.

I should say that I haven't really played Far Cry 2 (I've only played it briefly on the PS3 when I rented for a weekend back in 2009; I got the PC version from GOG, but it's just been sitting in my backlog). I remember from the Zero Punctuation review or just general reviews/chatter is that the game gets really repetitive after a while, making you do the same tasks in a new area again and again. I know there's some mods out there that really improve the experience, but I've forgotten what they were called.

Fans posted:

Farcry 5's story was such a garbage fire that I'm not sure them actually trying would have been preferable. It's a story with three separate mind control plots in which your character is captured about seven different times. These are not story artisans, I'm not raring for them to completely gently caress up a criticism of Conservatism.

The writing for the Far Cry games has never really been really great, but a lot of the discontent over FC5 is that it soft-balled on the political stuff it seemed to be leaning towards. I just don't know what they would have done if they had been completely straight with it.

It has made for some...interesting articles.

DoubleCakes posted:

Far Cry 6 should just have aliens, laser rifles, and werewolves and if they want to make the plot "serious" they should just include a subplot about zoning.

I mean that's what Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon did, and it was really well received. I think most everyone would want a follow-up to that

Hell, it seems like Far Cry devs want it as well...
https://twitter.com/LunarArchivist/...765041870131200