Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

FoldableHuman posted:

Tiny Brain: Far Cry 5 is a shallow philosophical compromise that is ultimately conservative in outlook, largely as a product of the politics inherent in being a massively expensive game, that doesn't even manage the still shallow but decidedly coherent opinions of Far Cry 2

Galaxy Brain: lol u dum dum what did u expect?

Lizard Brain: Trying to read political intent or message from game mechanics or designs decisions is sketchy

Universe Brain: They should bring back Jack Carver in the next Far Cry game.

As far as the endings to FC5 go, I came across this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzx3JGB0QPU), which might shine a little light into why it was like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

4's just 3 but better, 5 plays better than 4 but with worse story, I dunno 3 just never did anything at all for me.

Does that include Blood Dragon? I like FC3 and Blood Dragon okay (haven't played any of the games since then), but while Blood Dragon's goofy 80s sci-fi theme was fun, I remember some of the mechanics in feeling like a step back from the base FC3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Skits can be a way of conveying a point.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Which is a weird way to go as most of the reviewers posted here cater to man child as their key demos

Who are you referring to, and in what way are they like that? :confused:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So long as we're making requests, is there anyone who reviews or covers strategy games? (stuff like Total War, Europa Unversalis, etc.)

CharlestheHammer posted:

Literally all of them.

I can’t think of one that doesn’t.

I also don’t really mean it as an insult, just it is what it is.

You're going to have to clarify, because I'm still not really sure what you mean.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

It's LP's but you may want to consider Many A True Nerd.

I think I've seen ManyATrueNerd brought up in a different thread. I'll certainly check him out.

Actually, to answer my own question to a degree, there is someone that I'd recommend, and that's Mr. Smart Donkey. He's done LPs on quite a few of the Total War games. The one he's covered the most, though, is Shogun 2, having done videos covering all of the clans and the best & worst units in the game.

There's also Pixelated Apollo, who also largely covers RTS stuff, but again, it's mostly all LPs rather than reviews.

I was hoping maybe there was someone who did in-depth retrospectives on different series, or that (somewhat unrelated) there was someone who put together a 'Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Strategy Games' for someone like me who trying out Total War: Warhammer.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 4, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Alaois posted:

Daniel Vavra was the lead designer, writer and director of Mafia 1 and I'm not sure about his other roles but he was definitely a writer on 2.

Well then I think people would be mad at him for signing off on that race car section in Mafia 1.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Wrageowrapper posted:

Three Arrows has a new video up about Jordan Peterson https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8AcmzqFdPM

Shaun, Hbomber, Contra and now TA all in the same week. They must be linked up via the same cultural Marxist hivemind vr machine.

What's the deal with Jordan Peterson? All I know is that he appeared on Bill Maher like a week or so ago. Prior to that, I'd seen him mentioned somewhere else and it made it sound like he was some kind of wacko.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Alaois posted:

Duke Nukem 3D

To be more exact, Pitchford was tester and map designer on the Plutonium Pak / Atomic Edition. His Twitter handle is DuvalMagic, and you can find that name hidden on one of the maps added from the expansion.

Ghostlight posted:

When they got the license they also pulled the Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition from Steam, which was $10 for the original game plus three licensed expansions, and replaced it a year later with their own Duke Nukem 20th Anniversary World Tour which was $20 for no expansions except a fifth episode designed by the guys who made Duke Nukem Forever.

Bombshell was also originally a Duke Nukem game, because why not.

I don't know if they worked on DNF (I'm sure they probably did to some degree), but the fifth episode was done by Allen H. Blume III and Richard "Levelord" Grey, who notably did maps/design for the original Duke3D.

Bombshell I think originally started out as Duke game by Interceptor/Apogee, but Gearbox hit them with C&D or raised some sort of legal trouble, and so they changed it to

Bombshell tanked hard, but Ion Maiden is :krad: and it is definitely worth checking out.

There was also the debacle with TerminX's Duke3D ports. I don't remember all of the details of it, I think it all got ironed out, though, but was another example of Pitchford and Gearbox being underhanded. Alien: Colonial Marines still seems to stands as the most egregious thing they did (even though they technically didn't make it).

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 7, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Gearbox kinda suck a lot of dicks. The debacle that was the Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition stands out too...like, as much as Bulletstorm is a pretty freaking cool game, charging full price for its remaster felt a bit of a pisstake. But not as much of a pisstake as then charging for Duke Nukem as DLC where they didn't even bother to sync up Jon St John's newly recorded lines with the mouth movements. And that wasn't as much of a pisstake as taking sponsorship money from freaking G2A of all people.

I mean...they got DNF done at least and it's out there, even if it's utter shite. They really didn't do a whole lot to it, mind - most of the work had already been done by 3D Realms in the last couple of years of the torturous dev cycle (after half the devteam walked and Broussard realised "poo poo, we might actually have to release this thing at some point").

There was an interview, where when asked about Colonial Marines, Pitchford said, "We wanted to make a good Aliens game", which amuses me, since actual development of the game was done by Timegate Studios, and the reception resulted in the studio getting shut down.

For as bad and as poorly managed as Duke Nukem Forever was, at the very least, I can give the Broussard and the team a modicum of credit in that they themselves tried to make the game they wanted to make.

I hadn't heard of them taking money from G2A, but that's not super surprising.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 7, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The deal was killed extremely fast due to th backlash.

Is G2A even still running? I'd would have thought that it would have been shut down by now.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

You know, it's a huge missed opportunity that now that John Carpenter is making music no one has contacted him to do video game music. Especially since he apparently loves video games.

Carpenter actually did music for a game called Sentinel Returns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I7p1ANu_j8

Edit: On the other hand, video games might be why the quality of Carpenter's films dropped off in 90s and onwards:

MonsieurChoc posted:

I will defend 90125 and Big Generator. :colbert:
Will you defend Tales from Topographic Oceans?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 8, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

In the Mouth of Madness is a masterpiece. Rotten Tomatoes is wrong.

Also his opinions on sonic are correct. Sonic Forces was the greatest work of comedy of our time.

I was thinking more along the lines of Vampires or Escape from LA, rather than Mouth of Madness or Memoris of an Invisible Man.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: Removed

It's cool. The only two Yes album I've heard are 90215 and Big Generator.

I was following the Prog Rock thread for a time, and I vaguely someone saying something along the lines of Tales being the poster child for the worst aspects of prog rock. It's been a while since I read that, though, so I could be mis-remembering. The general impression I got, though, was that it wasn't that good.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 10:32 on May 8, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: "Quote" is not "Edit"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I see literally no reason those twitter spats should be in this thread.

Okay, I'll remove it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

I get kinda self-conscious about posting certain folk in this thread even when they're doing innocuous things because I fear accidentally creating another shitstorm.

Then people post MovieBob and no-one really cares soooo maybe I shouldn't.

That's kind of why I've been hesitant to post anything for the last couple of days, since the last real post I ended up pulling since it went against thread rules (which I blanked on :downs:)

I kind of thought maybe the post about Bob had something to do with this old video of his that I saw someone bring up, and maybe the hiatus had something to do with it, but it seems to be unrelated.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He's scaling back a bit to focus on other projects.

Also he recognises that some of the stuff he does (or did) doesn't really fit in with the current style of youtube criticism videos and is rethinking his approach.

Also :words:

I just sort of skimmed through the hiatus announcement video, and that's sort of what I got; he's taking a break to retool the format and change the scheduling. Seems like you'd only need like five minutes to explain that, provided you were being detailed about it, but then what do I know?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 11, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

If you think bobs early stuff was better you clearly didn't see his reviews of watchmen or that Zack Snyder fetish film whose name eludes me

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well i said wasn't bad, didnt mean great. i liked watchmen sorta though, gently caress faries or whatever that other movie was sucks rear end.

I Before E posted:

It's called Guardians Of Ga'Hoole, tyv much

That Zack Snyder fetish film Guardians of Ga'Hoole.

Actually, wait a minute: Snyder did the Legend of Owls movie, but prior to that, he did Watchmen, which had Owlman in it. Plus, Batman is kind of like Owlman, and he did Batman v Superman. Maybe he does have an owl fetish, and he was worried people might catch on, so he made Sucker Punch as a ruse to throw them off the trail. :raise:

Sanguinia posted:

God I hate Twitter. The way it just gets people to vomit their unfiltered id all over the world at large is the worst. I still like about half of Bob's content, but knowing what an obnoxious person and eternal 14 year old edgelord he is really irks. Not as bad as being secretly an actual neo-nazi like Jontron, but not nearly far off enough to make me anything but depressed. (I'll still defend his mega-long Batman v Superman dissection to my dying breath though, I love it)

I've seen more stuff from Bob's Twitter output that reads like neo-Nazi rhetoric then JonTron's does. The only thing awful thing that Jon's really said lately was on the whole Apu controversy, which he did follow up on somewhat.

https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/989183412085895168
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/989364668476076033
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/989364911905083392

Mind you, I'm not rushing to his defense necessarily, or trying to argue that he shouldn't apologize or try to redeem himself in anyway. For the most part, though, his output (at least on Twitter) has seemed largely just goofy and innocuous.

Bob on the other hand has said things that make it sound like he thinks that most of rural America should be extingushed in order for humanity to prosper. It's really disturbing.

https://twitter.com/estrusflask/status/995139199522299904

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

While I also dislike bob that is straight up wrong. You are deliberately choosing to only count what jon has said in the past month or so but digging up bob's stuff from years ago. Whereas say this time last year Jon was talking about how "cultural marxism" was a real thing and calling refugees rapists. Please do not defend the literal neonazi.

Again, I'm not trying to defend Jon. All I meant to say was that apart from the Apu thing, I was under the impression that he had mostly been quiet. There is certainly dumb crap such as this:
https://twitter.com/JonTronShow/status/976123174218813440

A couple of those tweets from Bob are from six years ago, but these are from last month.
https://twitter.com/RespectElves/status/986511253290999809

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 12, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

dude, you need to stop going to twitter so much

You're right. I also need to stop hanging around in this thread. I'm not trying to be sarcastic or sound indignant when I say that, either; in either case, I get obsessive about the stuff I read, and it's making me crazy.

Groovelord Neato posted:

uhhh you're aware jontron said insanely racist things in a debate with destiny a ways back? i'm surprised his career didn't implode after that.

the worst part about twitter is getting shadowbanned because you swear. i've probably spent more time shadowbanned than not on there.

I am aware of that, and what I was trying to get across was that I still think want to see some kind of apology or atonement in regards to that. Whether he'll ever do that is questionable, but it something that I hope for, since I found his stuff really funny, and I want to go back to watching it without feeling guilty.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:43 on May 12, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

In the case of Ladybird, I believe the Gerwig based the film on somewhat on her own experiences (not in that what happened in the film actually occurred in real life, but rather that it's derived from her teenage years). I remember hearing her talk about it on NPR, but I don't remember the details of what she said.

Mind you, I haven't seen Ladybird or watched IHE's video on F the Prom in full. However, I feel confident in saying that Gerwig is probably a better writer than the Fine Brothers who do the '[X] Reacts To [Y]' videos and tried to pull that whole 'React' trademarking thing.

EDIT: I did a quick search, and found the interview in question if anyone is interested: https://www.npr.org/2018/02/02/582639353/greta-gerwig-takes-on-mother-daughter-love-and-angst-in-lady-bird

I think the reason it caught my attention is because I remember there was some autobiography I was looking at on Amazon that had a similar anecdote about jumping out of a moving car, but for the life of me, I can't remember what is was from. EDIT2: It was from Jenny Lawson's memoir. I just remember reading a snippet from that, then hearing the Gerwig interview on the radio, and I thought it was the same person.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 13, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'll have to give that Many A True Nerd video a watch later, because I am genuinely interested to see someone defend Fallout 3.

I'm also in the camp where I'd rather play Fallout 4 over Fallout 3 (although I did try to do a modded install of F4 recently, and gave up after playing the game for a while). I think the reason is that Fallout 4 improved a lot of the core mechanics. Looting containers is a lot faster with the little quick menu, and the shooting feels a lot better than it did in the previous games. There are a lot other little touches and improvements that I think make it interesting, but it's weighed down by how flat the story and quests are.

Granted, I'd pick New Vegas over both of them, but at the moment, I don't even feel like replaying New Vegas. I'd call F:NV one of my favorite games, and there was a point where I wanted nothing more than to start a new playthrough, but maybe I'm just burned out on Fallout for the time being.

If anything, I always look to Tim Cain's thoughts when it comes to a defense of Fallout 3.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

It's perfectly playable without nostalgia. You just need to be the sort of graph lover who plays dwarf fort, paradox games, etc unironically.

MiddleOne posted:

The gameplay systems are unforgivable garbage sadly (this applies for basically every isometric game of that era, they're all un-intuitive and in general a chore to play).

I don't know if I'd say that it's complicated or unintuitive. You don't need graph paper (when I think graph paper games, I think more stuff like the tile based Might and Magic or Wizardry games).You might want to take a couple of notes here and there, but it's nothing too major. Games like Dwarf Fortress or Europa Unversalis throw so much at you that I get overwhelmed and give up before I even get started. Fallout 1& 2 are daunting if you've never played a classic CRPG before, but I think it's relatively easy to pick up.

The problem I think is that Fallout 1 and Fallout 2 are very slow games, and they're pretty unforgiving early on. Combat can go south easily if you rolled a character that doesn't really excel at it, and it can be a little frustrating for a combat turn to just consist of you shooting an enemy once and then just ending the turn because you don't have enough Action Points for another attack. It's not really hard to grasp, though, and I think it's easier to approach than Baldur's Gate (though with BG, I think the problem with it is just that it expects you to know some of the intricacies of 2E D&D rules or spells in order to excel).

I beat Fallout 1 a couple of years ago. Prior to that, I had tried starting a game multiple times, but never got very far before getting burned out on it. I didn't really take to it after I finished it, but that being said, I don't think it's a bad game. I started Fallout 2 late last year, but I haven't gotten very far in it.

Best thing I can recommend is to seek out a guide to help with building the kind of character you want or will help you get through the game (I'd recommend The Nearly Ultimate Fallout Guide). There's a Fallout thread in Games, so you could probably ask there to get some more assistance if you needed it.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 16, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

englerp posted:

For an old RPG-series that one is surprisingly playable at least from part 3 on, mainly because you have an Automap (Yeah, you need a character with the right skill, but still) and a quest journal.

Of course, OTOH you don't see stats for items in your inventory, so you have to memorize the stats of the character you want to equip, go to items, equip what you want to equip, then go back to the stats of your character to see what changed.
I didn't know about the automap, as I'm not real familiar with the classic Might and Magic games. Eye of the Beholder might have been a better comparison, but then I'm just thinking in terms of mapping.

a medical mystery posted:

The first two Fallouts are somewhat less notable with age, part of the reason they're so beloved is that they had so many more choices for approaching situations than other games, with some of them questionably intentional and some explicitly scripted.

For example, in Fallout 2, there's a dude you can arm wrestle and it's possible to beat him when you ordinarily wouldn't pass the stat check by feeding him drugs and waiting for him to go into withdrawal, where his relevant stats will decrease. It's downright ludicrous that this character would consume drugs some stranger handed over but that's part of the charm for a lot of people.

Another fun exploit that I've read you can do is with Super Stimpaks. Super Stimpaks can heal high amounts, but then later they'll give you a health debuff. However, while you can use Super Stimpaks on yourself, you can use them on NPCs as well. As such, you can use multiple Super Stimpaks on an NPC, wait, and then they'll keel over dead from the massive health debuff.

I think that, while not maybe being an intentional design, does highlight the strengths of the classic Fallouts. Between the skills checks for other things besides combat, and the freedom to solve situations in creative ways, it gets closer than a lot of RPGs in replicating the openness of a pen-and-paper game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The worst part of Fallout 2 is how narrow the endgame is when it comes to avoiding combat. There's the ship's basement where you have to fight or flee those bargain-bin xenomorphs, and that president guy who you have to kill. You can't pick-pocket a key item off him so you must off him, but you want to do it without raising the alarm so you better be good at pick-pocketing grenades or have enough super-stimpaks to give him an overdose. The final boss can't be reasoned either but it's justified since he's a zealous brick-shithouse who doesn't waste time on diplomacy, and you can convince some mooks and hack some turrets to do the job for you.

Even though it's poorly written and/or executed, at least you could convince Autumn to leave peacefully at the end of Fallout 3 with a speech check. Even then, I don't remember him being that difficult of an encounter.

Fallout 1 lets you talk down the Master into surrender, but there were a few different ways of getting to him. You could fight you way down to the bottom of the Cathedral, but the way I did it, I was able to get a disguise and talk to Irenicus Morpheus up at the top of the Cathedral, and you get instantly taken to the Master directly. Same with the Military Base; if you have those robes, you can just walk on through and set the self-destruct without issue.

With Fallout 2, yeah, you don't really have any option but to fight Horrigan. You can hack the turrets and convince the soldiers if you can't do it solo, but I don't even think there's an option to sneak through.

EDIT: Also, yeah, I didn't know what you were referring to at first, but the wanamingos do look like xenomorphs if their heads were directly connected to their legs.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 16, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Their voice jumping around still gives me a good creepy feeling.

"So what shall it be? Do you join the Unity, or do you die here? Join! DIE! Join! DIE!"

Heck, even now, his appearance is still pretty horrifying. The talking heads in Fallout 1 for normal characters falls into uncanny valley at times, but the mutants and ghouls still look great nowadays. Compare that to the ghouls in Fallout 4, and it's like night-and-day.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Some of the redesigns have to do with China and cultural prohibitions on showing corpses. Karthus is another notable example there.

Isn't that partially why Mists of Pandaria exists? I once heard it was because one of the expansions wasn't released to China because of censorship, and that Mists or another expansion was made partly as a response to that. Then again, it's been a long time since I read that, and I've never seen it said anywhere else since, so maybe that's not the case.

Tired Moritz posted:

sex appeal wins

It worked for Overwatch, I guess. (I don't know anything about League of Legends, so maybe those redesigns came before OW was released.)

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Wrath didn't launch in China until a couple months before Cataclysm came out.

Mists of Pandaria was also part of a pivot to better incorporate the Chinese audience, but it was also the best expansion to date in general so it wasn't exactly a crass cash in.

That might have been what I read; that someone saw Mists as a sort of appeasement for the delay with Wrath of the Lich King.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Libluini posted:

Even thinking of God of War bores me to tears, so I highly doubt that

:same:

It's the same as with The Last of Us for me, where it just looks dreary and boring. I'm getting tired of seeing everyone talk about it.

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm looking forward to one day getting single parent/parent-analogue stories like these where the parent isn't a grizzled old dude tbh

Has there ever been a single mom main character in gaming?

I don't know about single moms (I'm sure there's something, I just can't think of it off the top of my head), but as for non-grizzled old dude single/widowed dads, there's Harry Mason from the first Silent Hill game.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

The show does actually look pretty awful, it's a hodgepodge of every current show's art in a way that's super ugly and it's obvious CN is just trying to make TTGO 2.0 with it, so of course none of that's actually why they're complaining, just more chuds desperate to have something to screech about.

Yeah, I haven't really seen anyone that I follow complaining about it being un-masculine or anything along those lines. It's pretty much the complaint that it's the same kind of overly-bright, bean-face style (in regards to the fact that the head and mouth is shaped like a bean) from other shows like Steven Universe, Gravity Falls, and that other show that I don't know the name of:
https://twitter.com/FourEcchiTasty/status/997561648792686592

It's inspired some satire:
https://twitter.com/AnotherJoystick/status/997997541378666496 https://twitter.com/maniadrone/status/997943207051874305

There's also, uh, this:
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/997544040491974656
https://twitter.com/NicoColaleo/status/997646607595143168
https://twitter.com/LisaNani25/status/997753930116354048

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:27 on May 20, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's also been that Thundercats remake from a few years back that was apparently quite solid.

I've seen some posts about the remake/reboot from 2011. The stills from it make it look pretty nice, but I've seen some people say that the writing for it was mixed.

I remember watching an episode or two of the original Thundercats a long time ago on Cartoon Network (this was mid-to-late 90s, so it was probably when it ended up in syndication), but I can't really remember anything about it. As such, I'm not a fan of the show, but I see why people aren't happy with it.

It could just be my insomnia talking, but I have to wonder if the reason it was green-lit was because someone figured it would raise a huge fuss like Teen Titans Go has (in the sense that it's a reboot of a show that had a serious tone into a slapstick comedy that has no continuity with the original).

I feel like I've seen that style of face somewhere else, too. Wait...

drat you, Sans Undertale! :argh:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I think an issue with a lot of shows nowadays is that they're animated in Flash (or something similar), and while you can still make some pretty impressive stuff with that, it has the problem where the animation can look canned and artificial, and the look of the show is really sterile feeling. EDIT: I'm also guessing that there's probably not as much overseas work done as well, and it's done internally.

I know it's probably not viable nowadays, but the 90s, it seemed like animation hit a pretty nice spot, Disney had stuff like DuckTales and whatnot had a style that seemed like it was a few rungs below an actual feature film.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 20, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, to be fair to Flash, there are some great looking things being made in actual literal Adobe Flash.

That's what I said, but I guess it got cut of the quote for some reason; you can do some pretty impressive stuff with Flash, but it can sometimes make stuff look really sterile and automated depending on how it's done.

The impression I get is that really good looking stuff you see done in Flash (only example I can think of right now is something like Harry Partridge's stuff) is that it starts out as hand-drawn cells, and then Flash is used to compile them or clean them up. With some shows like Johnny Test or Total Drama Island, they look like they're done totally through Flash.

Still, I guess it's better than Clutch Cargo.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

Strat-Edgy rants about Thief 4 for an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9fDku4Cvg

It still makes shake my head when think about how at the start of Thi4f, nuGarrett says, "It's not about how much you steal, it's what you steal", and then you spend the majority of the game stealing forks and syringes that are only worth like 1 or 2 gold each.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Especially when old Garrett exclusively went for jewels, rare bottles of wine and expensive jewelry in the old games. Hell, the smallest bit of gold he deigned to pick up was 25 in a stack! He was all about stealing the unstealable, like the Pagans' sacred opal, or the Holy Symbol of the Hammerites (during the service). He'd take the gold fillings out of your teeth if he'd think they were worth something to someone.

Gary, on the other hand, is playing Skyrim.

Well, Steven Russell was also the voice of Thieves Guild leader in Skyrim (which was also was a mess of a narrative).

Bakeneko posted:

I hadn’t played the old games and I was still horribly disappointed by Thief 4. I went into it expecting something like Dishonored, and it ended up feeling like a cheap knockoff of that game.

A lot of the stuff they did in Thief 4 is stuff that they seem to have cribbed from Dishonored, and it's funny since Dishonored captures the essence of the old Thief games far better.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

FoldableHuman posted:

Berserk gets exactly the quality it deserves.

I don't even follow Berserk, and yet I know this statement is offensive and wrong.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Posting this because I remember someone bringing up the topic of TotalBiscuit's relapse with his cancer here in the thread or the previous one.

https://twitter.com/GennaBain/status/999785407087808512

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like there should be some guideline that you should at least wait until rigor mortis sets in before you start debating about them.

I can't really say anything on TotalBiscuit, as I didn't really watch a whole lot of his stuff. Only video of his that sticks out in my mind is when he was talking about the original Dungeon Keeper in wake of the terrible mobile version.

I'd make a joke about his obsession with game settings/sliders, but that's probably in bad taste.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/shaun_jen/status/999836018458136576
https://twitter.com/_Gardevoirite/status/999821875550154752
https://twitter.com/kalonZombie/status/999821353313292288
https://twitter.com/Haitch_Kay/status/999829366187220996
https://twitter.com/trilllizard666/status/999828967791116288
:eyepop:

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Some other condolences for TotalBiscuit:
https://twitter.com/rhipratchett/status/999794316095770624
https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/999794079549407233
https://twitter.com/PeachSaliva/status/999788279414362117
https://twitter.com/Jack_Septic_Eye/status/999799988048850944
https://twitter.com/WoolieWoolz/status/999815975641014274
https://twitter.com/0BurkeBlack0/status/999795281704009729
https://twitter.com/SkyWilliams/status/999787005574692871
https://twitter.com/Haedox/status/999794481649008640
https://twitter.com/ashens/status/999790597627174912
https://twitter.com/LarryBundyJr/status/999803338873946112