Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neo_Crimson posted:

Be the change you want in the world.

In fairness, I haven't seen a lot of those shows yet (nor I have seen any of the 200+ other anime shows I've been vaguely interested in watching), but then I haven't been real active about watching anime as I was ten or so years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Watch Kaiserbeamz's excellent Kyoto Video series.

https://www.youtube.com/c/KaiserBeamz/videos

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Videos on stuff like Desert Rose, TO-Y, Dragon Half, and Robot Carnival.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Skullface Bookseller seems pretty funny.

Pop Team Epic is something you will get a lot more out of if you spend a lot of time on the Japanese internet. As in, the show references things like one specific Japanese speedrunner, and these little Touhou heads that appear in a lot of Japanese youtube/NND videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trrWbAdNO1Y

I wish I had bought those Nendroids of Popuko and Pipimi. :sigh:

Dias posted:

Pop Team Epic is an extremely high-quality shitpost disguised as an anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5663iDtGuQ

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Nuns with Guns posted:

Polar Bear Cafe and Chi's Sweet Home are cute, but they're also made for actual elementary school-aged children and there's not much more to them besides being cute and kiddy-funny.

Yeah, but sometimes that's all you want from a show. :comfyoot:

They also seem more palatable in terms of shows you'd recommend to people who don't watch anime.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

To Catch a Predator shoulda switched to fishing famous internet personalities.

Well, Chris Hansen did go after Onision at one point, but I don't think anything came of it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/Cybershell/status/1304495252007350272

:eyepop:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

Those Cybershell Sonic videos still look pretty sharp now. The language may not necessarily be for everyone cause it's mid-late 2000s but this was back in the day when lots of gameplay on YT was still recorded with cameras and this was amazing by comparison. Some people in the UK scene still record with cameras mind...it's actually comforting and nice, just chill gaming and nattering. And Deceased Crab still does the same stuff as ever, for something closer to SA.

My favorite bit of Cybershell lore continuity is how in his Knuckles run of Sonic 3, he talks about buying Reduced Fat Ritz Crackers and Diet Snapple, and in his Half Life: Blue Shift LP, he's got both of those sitting off to the side of the monitor.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

apparently old howard phillips recanted being a giant shithead in his later years?????

https://twitter.com/racistNEET/status/1304075787260366848

Weird that this gets posted just after I finish reading the Stygian LP.

I've read about this before (not this letter, but the general topic), where towards the end of his life, Lovecraft started to turn around and work towards being a better person. However, it apparently doesn't get much attention, as opposed to talking about the name of his cat (which was apparently named by his dad).

You can criticize the racism in Lovecraft's work, but it's hard to come down on him as a person. He was a shut-in, who was paranoid of nearly everything, which probably helped fuel his racism. He was not right in the head. Plus, he made little-to-no money off of his work and was poor for most of his life. His wife left him after like two years.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: Never mind.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 12, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fun hater posted:

youre going to get yelled at bc anna khachiyan is one of the worst people on planet earth

Alright, I'll delete it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

fun hater posted:

i dont care about internet personalities anymore. i only care about korean cat videos which present a fanciful narrative in which the cats are my friends

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bW40r-6BWM

:same:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/DakDread/status/1279202612273983490
https://twitter.com/AnimegirlENG/status/1289203824863793152
https://twitter.com/Iron_Mouse/status/1303499187129126912

Vtubers good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

For the record, I wasn't trying to be smug. I was forced to assume something was dumb and different about Twitch on mobile, which I have basically no experience with whatsoever, because hiding chat on desktop is so ridiculously simple that I can't imagine that somebody legitimately looked for it but couldn't find it.

I'm not even talking about collapsing the chat tab like JordanKai showed. There's a bog standard options gear button under the chat bar that pops open a little menu which includes a button literally labeled "Hide Chat" which will completely stop all chat messages from being sent until you turn it back on. I use it all the time in big streams where it's just an endless scroll of noise and maybe sometimes the streamer responds to 1 message out of thousands.

Some streamers will also enable 'slow mode' where there's a timecap to how quickly you can submit messages, as well as limiting chat to only people who follow the channel or are subscribed. That can cut down on message spam.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Jimbot posted:

Gives them a safe shroud of anonymity from creepers and stalkers too.

If I streamed enough and was popular enough to have an audience, I'd also probably get FaceRig so that way no one could recognize me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/false_gear/status/1305339264197111809

Oh wait, what's this?

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1305542342858993669
...sure, Shaun, whatever you say... :nallears:

Cripes, that's like four videos in the span of like three days. Did he spend the last two years just making a hundred videos, and now he's going to release them every twelve hours?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Endorph posted:

the tweet's vaguely worded but the real issue is the 'hit dog will holler!' catchphrasing in the replies. like yeah, everyone whos mildly defensive about being associated with bigots, is secretly a bigot, lol

and his argument doesn't really even make sense because a bunch of english language vtubers just debuted and did insane numbers and are very popular. like im sure theres a handful of people handwringing about them but they're broadly popular even with the anime bigots hes talking about.

its basically just subtweeting an imaginary person who may or may not exist, for no reason, and then anyone who gets mildly defensive about it is hitler. its pointless.

There was a tweet a few days ago where some was talking about the new Crash Bandicoot game, bringing up Tawna's redesign, going, ":smug: Heh, I bet the AltRightGamerNerdz™ are up in arms about this". However, the general reaction I saw to that tweet was, "What the gently caress are you talking about?"

In short:

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Everything is political. But that does not imply that you can reliably use someone's political alignment to predict which pieces of media they will enjoy (or vice versa)

Yeah, I'm sorry, but that rings hollow to me. I'm not saying it's wrong, but your choice of entertainment is what people use nowadays as the barometer for your political affiliation.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Sep 14, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

EDIT: never mind

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 15, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/SeanRMoorhead/status/1083429999770619904

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Pants Donkey posted:

Cybershell really making up for lost time.

https://youtu.be/bbjXlHkv_3c
Cool game back in the day.

You know, there have been dozen of cases where I've been miffed with channels because of the long wait between uploads. This is the first time I've thought, "Holy hell, how are you uploading videos this fast? Slow down!" It's like that, 'please stop praying for my grandpa, he's become too powerful' joke, but for internet videos.

Of course, I also didn't know Cybershell had gone quiet for like two years. Again, I assume he spent all that time making and editing videos.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

pretty sure its because its a funny voice and animation and people meme that poo poo. not everything is a loving chud secret plot.

https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1305553166226907137

Shaun is such a loving tool.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

Trying guess which one of the comicsgates/shield hero fans/anti-sjw accounts whining in the comments and subtweeting Max Wilco originally got this issue from. The one currently blaming "the left" for Cuties, the one interspersing it with extreme horniness and pepe virtue signalling, maybe the one who uses the word "breadtube" the way a high schooler buying for time uses "like". Choices choices.

You have fun with that.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I double checked the recommendation and its actually from a channel called Kill All Pedos and the video title is called "Mister Metokour - The Ballad of Ethan Ralph."

I dont know if that is better or not.

Let me tell you the tale Ralph the Great Fool,
a man as appealing as two-week old stool,
his one-note career hit a hilarious stop,
when he was arrested at Arby's for punching a cop...

That's not much of a ballad. More of a poem that's bordering on becoming a limerick.

BigRed0427 posted:

What the gently caress is this current derail anyway?

Further proof I need to stop posting in this thread.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/texasraining/status/1291069292646150149

:wtf:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

lol, does nobody think it's weird to take a loving video game gameplay convention and then dress it up as "JP design" and act like it's a fundamental part of Japan's culture or something? That doesn't strike anyone as strange and reductive?

Like if someone said their new crime game was like GTA without the car chases and gunfights are they... what, denigrating America's cultural legacy cause we love cars and guns?

:v:

Sephyr posted:

Sorry if it's out of topic (or worse, :filez:), but since we're touching on old Persona games, is there an emulation thread on SA?

The SA Retro Gaming thread (and Discord, which is linked in the OP) will most likely be able to answer any questions you might have on emulation.

Additionally, there's the RetroPi thread, if you want to put together a Raspberry Pi for retro gaming.

IronicDongz posted:

Also sometimes the perceived flaw is not in fact a flaw but a big part of why people actually liked the thing

I always think of how the only VNs that get big in a western sphere are ones that are making fun of VNs or otherwise 'subverting expectations' about them, instead of just telling a story sincerely

https://twitter.com/gogopri/status/1171501804221108224

I think the nadir of the ironic visual novels/dating sims scene is the Colonel Sanders dating sim because A.) we now have to live in a reality where KFC published a dating sim, and B.) it apparently drops a huge spoiler for one of the Dangan Ronpa games without warning.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

What's the spoiler?

What I heard was that it spoils who the killer is or some big plot reveal along those lines. I dunno what it was exactly. I just read somewhere that one of the characters in the KFC game just drops the reveal out of nowhere.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is Nakey Jakey a chud?

Beefstew posted:

Not to my knowledge. He seems pretty cool.

Bad news, everyone:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nakeyjakey-naughty-dogs-game-design-is-outdated.298277/

https://twitter.com/nakeyjakey/status/1135400722005147648

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

DeafNote posted:

I also only just recently discovered NakeyJakey on this thread because of his Last of Us video (and thought he made some good points against it at that)
Oh well that sucks.
Next people are gonna be trying to tell me Cybershell is terrible.

Well, I remember the thread was talking about how one of the shirts he was wearing was from Cum Town, but maybe that's not a qualification for being terrible.

When he did his video on the FF7 challenge between Dead Tree and CirclMaster, I checked out the link to CirclMaster YouTube channel. Looking at his channel list, I noticed Rags among the channels listed. I think Rags is pals with MauLer, so that's a little eyebrow-raising. That said, he's also got Retsupurae and UpIsNotJump listed, so who knows?

Would you like to hear about more content creators who might be bad or have done wrong?

Kim Justice posted:

Bah, I've heard this. I remember watching cheese a few years back when I started looking into Twitch/speedruns. What happened that made his transphobia come out?

(mind, a bunch of the folks I watched back then turned out to be total shitheads. Witwix, Calebhart...)

I know about Caleb, but what did Witwix do? I remember he was popular for running I Wanna Be the Boshy, and I think people said he was an SA goon, but I don't recall hearing about anything bad he did.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Terrible Opinions posted:

I mean the game's framing really wants you to sympathize with Akechi. Hence lettign him live in Royal. So I don't see it as too big a leap for fans. The lack of a hard "no gently caress that guy, I don't care" dialogue option when he appears to sacrifice himself is really the game's fault not any particular horny fan's.

That's the exact opposite of what I wanted from Royal.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

The problem I have the 'well, what's wrong with people making money off of their hobby?' argument is that at some point, it stops being a hobby, and starts becoming a job. I think the issue with making money off of being a content creator through Patreon is that if you decide to switch gears to something new, or you get burned out and want to take a break, you can easily lose you patrons and be out of revenue.

Plus, depending on your setup, you might have people donating with the stipulation that you play [X], or talk about [Z], and then you have to decide whether you want to go through with it, or reject it.

Like, set up a Ko-Fi or something instead. At least that way, you get some tips for your work, and you're not basing your livelihood based off it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Augus posted:

okay cool but "patreon links are banned because we want to help you maintain a healthy and stable work/life balance" would be a kinda weird thing for a subforum to be enforcing
especially weird coming from a thread filled with people who have at some point in time contributed money to the patreons of former thread regulars like hbomberguy

I didn't say Patreon links should be banned. I'm just saying you should really consider if you want to turn your hobby into a career.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kim Justice posted:

You should really consider it yes, doesn't mean you shouldn't do it or try to though.

I'm only speaking for myself obviously but having made the decision to turn what I was doing on the side into a career a few years ago now, it's the best thing I've ever done and I wouldn't change a thing (I guess a caveat here is that video production is what I got my degree in, though I wasn't doing that as a job when I made the decision). It's not necessarily for everyone of course, but the satisfaction I get from it is pretty big and important.

As such I have to massively object to anyone trying to shame folks for doing or trying to do the same (not you specifically Max Wilco). As if people can't make decisions for themselves whether they want to support someone's work or not, or you have to be in some lovely job that you hate while entertaining people and not looking for any possible compensation from it because...uh, reasons. I mean, come on. People are perfectly right to try and do poo poo for themselves.

I don't mean to shame anyone about it. If anything, I would also like to make a living making videos or streaming games (although that would require me to actually sit down and do one of those kinds of things consistently).

At the same time, though, I look at what happened with Spoony, the fallout of Channel Awesome/Change the Channel, or some of the general drama that comes with content creators or streamers, and I start having apprehensions about trying to pursue that kind of thing.

I dunno. :shrug:

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Leal posted:

Brutalmoose is a good boy with gorgeous long hair and a perfect scruff who lives a happy life with his boyfriend

E: I went to double confirm this and uh

Never change reddit

This dude just now found this out? I've known that for like four years, when he mentioned it on his Tumblr, or whatever non-Youtube site it was.

-

Only thing that sort of irks me with Brutalmoose is that he moved away from talking about old Win3.1/Win 95 stuff. That's not to say his new stuff his bad, however (though I've not watched much of it yet). I do think it's brave of him to watch unmarked tapes he gets.

Leal posted:

I called slowbeef a sellout directly to him, I already said my piece there. Don't you worry.

E: I also brought it up a few times in the SALP discord so again, don't worry. They know

What did Slowbeef say in response?

Augus posted:

one of the stated reasonings behind the rule change was that people were always allowed to advertise their Patreon or whatever off-site and in their videos, which in practice meant screenshot LPers were being given a raw deal.

Are there a lot of screenshot LPers who are plugging Patreons now? Not asking that as some sort of comeback; I'm just curious, since it seems like there's more video LPs than there are screenshot LPs.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 16, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Libluini posted:

The inventor of Let's Plays.

:letsplay:

In other news, it sounds like MovieBob has left The Escapist...again.

https://www.youtube.com/post/Ugzpx-YBxSt6oFdh4AR4AaABCQ

quote:

Announcement
Enthusiast Gaming (parent company of The Escapist) and MovieBob Productions will not renew their contract going forward.

The rights to The Big Picture, Escape to the Movies & Game OverThinker have all been returned to Bob and will continue on his own personal channels.

We will be adjusting our content schedule over the next couple weeks to accommodate these changes.
For now, In The Frame will move to Tuesdays (12 ET) instead of Mondays, and Snapshot will move to Fridays (12 ET) instead of Thursday.

Thank you,

Nick Calandra
Editor-in-Chief

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Really? I woulda used those powers to redtext and mock the gently caress out of Leal for that nonsense. Give them a badge of shame they couldn't get rid of without paying Lowtax and looking worse.

Seriously Leal, what you're saying is not just stupid it's morally loving gutless. You entitled little loving grub.

Cripes, why not just ban him at that point?

Also, doesn't Jeffrey have full ownership of SA now? Wouldn't the money go to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I must be in the minority, because I picked up and read The Boys a couple of weeks ago (the whole series was in a bundle on Humble Bundle, along with Project Superpowers), and I really liked it. It made me want to check out Garth Ennis' run on Punisher, which I remember hearing was really good.

Haven't seen the show yet. I don't have direct access to Prime Video (just a linked account), but if the show's half as graphic as the comic was, I don't imagine anyone at home will want to watch it. Then again, I remember they were watching the adaptation of Preacher that was on AMC.