Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

So someone somewhere else on the Internet said that the cancelled CA tenth anniversary special would have been based on Agatha Christieís And Then There Were None.

Goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

lornekates posted:

Question.

Now that CuriousCat is imploding because it is run by psychopaths-- what is the actual benefit of that site? I know it lets people ask a question and someone to give a public answer buuuut-- how is that different from, say, a forum, or Quote-Tweeting a question and giving an answer?

What actual tools and benefits does CC give to both the people asking the question, and those answering them?

Wasnít Ask.fm also shady? I remember there was a reason everyone switched to CuriousCat.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously, though, whatís this CuriousCat drama?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MarzGurl has just confirmed that JewWario was the producer who was kicked off Channel Awesome for grooming an underage fan. After CAís management covered it up for a year. Oh, hell.

https://twitter.com/marzgurl/status...5681969153?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

So lemme get this straight. Michaud and company get tipped off that one of their producers is an abusive, predatory creep. They sit on this for an entire year as more stories of him being an abusive, predatory creep trickle in. Eventually, a breaking point is hit, and they fire him without letting anyone else in Channel Awesome know why. A year later, he kills himself, and they decide to make the memorial to him a for-profit exercise and donít tell any of their people who are helping with the memorial out of respect for their fallen friend that they might know why he committed suicide, and itís because heís a goddamned rapist. It only comes out years later when they poorly censor his name when releasing details of disciplinary action theyíve taken in order to push back against the idea that they are callous, controlling megalomaniacs.

Christ on a bike.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 12, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Suck a gently caress sperg.

Címon now.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wait, so heís saying that while he didnít get the full JewWario treatment, just some creepy comments, other CA producers were just as bad to him?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Ask him yourself if you're curious, don't make assumptions.

That was a rhetorical question. He literally said that.

https://twitter.com/annjakeh/status...7546257408?s=21

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Check the Mod Feedback Thread in QQCS for the reason lornekates got demodded. Itís impressively dumb and petty.

baba booey.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

business hammocks posted:

There was some discussion of your demodding in a qcs thread on mod feedback. I went there to try to stump for you, but the matter seems closed. I donít really understand the reasons given for demodding you.

I may be misremembering the details, but I think it was a mod challenge LK placed where a certain poster had to post Ďbaba booeyí once a day for a month or be banned. One day, LK probated them, so they couldnít meet their deadline. They PMíd Ďbaba booeyí to LK as compensation, but LK didnít accept it and banned them. The admins decided this was unreasonably vindictive, and demodded LK.

SA drama is loving bizarre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Politics doesnít get done on twitter for gently caressís sake. Also tell us a time Contrapoints said leftism was bad.

I feel thereís a certain large orange exception who really should be mentioned here. Also the organising role it had in the Arab Spring and a few Central Asian pogroms, the way it shaped public opinion ahead of major events like the Brexit vote, and a bunch of other stuff. Twitter may be silly, but itís silly and important.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Anime used to be about a lot of things, like sports and murder, but now all of it is about people reincarnating as video game characters. This illustrates the concept of samsara.

At least one anime this season is about murder via sports.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Megalobox is a special show.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The main thing I remember about Pa Kent is that every time he appeared in MoS, he was giving Supes an entirely different and contradictory moral lesson. Like, it seemed that he was implicitly being set up as an opposite moral/philosophical influence to Jor-El, but he seemed to more often be in argument with himself.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I suppose I can kinda see the parallels between MOS and GOTG2, if you view Yondu as Pa Kent and Ego as Jor-El. Actually, for all its self-indulgent flab, I do think you can see it as maybe offering a more thematically coherent take on the same plot.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

black panther was the bad guy though.

Naah, the CIA were the bad guys. Everyone else was just trying to deal with that (or, in Rossís case, defect and become a Wakandan agent instead).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

The president smells of piss

Ah, a Coors drinker.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

All starwars are bad

Star Wars, huh? What is it good for?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

cosmically_cosmic posted:

I guess that is true, but if they're actual like, relics from a pre-space era won't they be completely unreadable? They'd be in like space double ancient mega latin.

Unless they got translated into galactic basic?

OKAY WAIT

NOW I get why the page turners line gets me so bad.

IF the Jedi books are ancient relics, is Yoda just by chance a fan of unrelated trashy fiction from the ancient pre-space era? And that's why he knows the term 'page turner' in a world where there are only about five books and they're ancient antiques?'

Like what other books are there that you prefer Yoda? 'As good as the Thrawn trilogy, it was not!'

Heís Yoda. Heís incredibly loving old, and heís seen pretty much everything there is to see. You really think he wouldnít have run into physical books on some backwater world somewhere? Come to think of it, it wasnít like there were any working generators on Dagobah - that hut of his was probably 50% girlie magazines and spaceport paperbacks by mass.

Seriously, why are people struggling so hard to wrap their brains around the idea of primitive technology existing in a setting where the Emperorís finest once got routed by a bunch of teddy bears with pointy sticks?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

It's weird because there has never been a single reference to a book anywhere in the previous seven movies, which span like 45 years. Like, it's jarring to suddenly have books be a part of the lore of these space wizard movies because there's no suggestion that books are even a thing prior to that exchange. The whole rest of the time they just read off computer displays and seemingly just have an oral culture for storytelling.

Címon, thatís pretty terminally unimaginative. Weíve seen a tiny fraction of the Star Wars universe, and these are explicitly ancient texts from millennia before the technological advancements that have become ubiquitous in Ďmoderní galactic civilisation. And, again, weíve seen native tribes who made everything out of wood, stone, and hide. Books are positively high-tech compared to what the Ewoks were using.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

Those endless kidnap scenes were just the absolute worst. It takes a lot to make me dislike an open world game but Far Cry 5 managed it with that railroading bullshit. And then it tops it all off with one of the worst endings Iíve ever seen in a game: You beat the cult leader but before you can finish him off, his remaining followers detonate a nuke and blow up the entire valley. Then he escapes in the chaos and kidnaps you again. Roll credits. Itís a shame because I was really enjoying the gameplay outside of those story sequences.

There seems to be a lot of confusion over what exact political message it was trying to send, but my view is that it shouldnít have been expected to send one at all. Itís a story about a doomsday cult and the small group of people banding together to fight them. The villains were never meant to represent Trump any more than the villains of the previous two games were meant to represent real people or factions in Indonesia or Nepal. The second game was an anomaly in that its plot was specifically tied to Africa and its political situation, but the rest of the series is all about putting the player up against hammy, insane villains who donít represent anything more than insanity itself. Like I said, I think FC5ís story was terrible, but not because of its message or lack thereof.

Iíd like it if Far Cry went back to being pure sci-fi for its next installment. Maybe not as over-the-top as Blood Dragon, but something that would let them play around with lots of cool gadgets and weapons. I just hope that, whatever it is, you get to have a big cat as a pet because that was my favorite part of both 5 and Primal.

I donít think the cultists detonated a nuke. I think their leader turned out to be a genuine prophet who accurately foresaw nuclear war. The FarCry games have a tendency to go Ďoh, hey, the insane monster you were pursuing for the entire game was right all along, how about that?í, and itís loving bizarre.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

khwarezm posted:

I think it does come across, but fails in many of the ways that Noah describes. The whole adventure in the islands is particularly built to be an extension of the kind of extreme sports orientated vacation that people like the main character indulge but with everything becoming increasingly unhinged and off the rails as the protagonist indulges in ever greater heights of violent, masculine domination. The game makes it clear that the player character (and by extension you, the actual player) is getting more and more wound up in an extremely unhealthy journey of catharsis and self gratification and suggests as much by likening Brody's journey with that of Alice in Wonderland, drawing very, very strong parallels with Brody and Vaas and having Brody take a more and more hostile position towards the friends he's ostensibly saving.

There's a bit near the start of the game where you rescue one of your friends (your girlfriend I think actually) from a pirate stronghold and it's when the game makes it clear that Brody is starting to find the entire ordeal extremely enjoyable, laughing as he kills people and finding thrills in escaping an exploding building by the skin of your teeth, but all the while you have your girlfriend who you just saved reacting like an actual normal person (re: with terror) and she calls out Brody on treating the entire situation as a source of personal enjoyment. Later when you talk to her Brody says that he's loving the entire situation that she just wants to escape from since, as he puts it, he's 'winning', which really drove home to me that the game was very much aware of what was going on.

The problem, of course, is that the satire is also racist. Like, itís the story of a dumbass fratboy whoís led into assuming that heís the white saviour of a group of noble-savage islanders, only for it to turn out that - surprise - theyíre bloodthirsty fanatics who are tempting him with their seductively exotic wiles to become a sacrifice for their pagan gods.

Thatís, like... dear lord, people.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Also, this is hardly the first time Contra has been love-bombed by right-wing loons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

I'm looking forward to one day getting single parent/parent-analogue stories like these where the parent isn't a grizzled old dude tbh

Has there ever been a single mom main character in gaming?

Bayonetta came closest, but that relationship had some real weird wrinkles. She was basically acting as her own adoptive mother, because time travel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's still hilarious the title of the original fanfic was "master of the universe". maybe give that a quick google before you title your work.

Someone clearly hasnít read Bonfire of the Vanities. Even given its Saturday morning cartoon origins, itís a perfectly good reference.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of the problem with the discussion is the actual real issue with that scene skews close enough to that that it can get muddled as a single general opinion. And I do think, aside from a faulty setup, that the movie itself is quite good. The actual issue with the scene in question is with her keeping the crew in the dark on the plan serves no purpose. They are it for the Resistance, and it's a plan with a future that a despairing and desperate crew can get behind. As of the movie's setup, all anyone can otherwise see including the audience is that they are just going to run down the fuel tank with no plan at all. Maybe give the crew at least some kind of inference or instruction that there's an operation going, because apparently several people have tried to bail in escape pods already under the assumption there isn't one, and it causes a near-shipwide mutiny in the end under said general assumption of there being no plan .

Holdo was keeping Poe out of the loop because last time heíd been invited in on a plan (scarcely a couple of hours beforehand) heíd hosed it up spectacularly and cost them a shitload of irreplaceable people and irreplaceable weapons. It was an attempt at damage-limitation when dealing with a proven fuckup - sure, it didnít work, but could anyone have foreseen the circuitous lengths Poe and his buddies would go to to execute their own, terrible idea? Plus, they still didnít know how they were being tracked, so they had to keep information tight in case there was a traitor on board.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's not a hard premise to fix either, and still keep in line with the movie's general message of failure. Have Holdo tell Poe the plan, and let her authorize his scheme as a mission. As it stands, they still have the ditch-the-ship plan in place, but for the cost of 1-2 people and an escape pod they could just maybe manage to save their last capital ship. It still has the ticking clock premise, and it makes the failures/delays all the more personal because now they actually have the last dying flickers of hope in the Resistance riding on their potential success instead of just feeling smug about having a plan while their CO evidently doesn't.

Pretty sure the guy that just killed a capital ship to buy time for their retreat and has worked his way up to a squadron-leading position over several years isn't a traitor .

He doesnít have to be. Heís just enough of a dangerous fuckup to also be kept out of the plans theyíre keeping secret so hypothetical traitors canít leak them. Two separate, interlinking things going on there.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Playstation 4 posted:

Because no matter how much you love jerking off the self importance of commissioned officers, playing the decorum and hierarchy are super important card in a situation of literal existential crisis is super dumb. Again, there is no Resistance establishment to point to. They are it.

The problem was that Poe had made himself part of that existential crisis. Heíd already proven lethally disruptive to one escape plan, so why bring him in on another? ĎWe all have to stick together and make decisions as a teamí doesnít work when one guy is not a team player.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wasn't aware he somehow managed to execute an operation involving multiple crewed assault craft and dozens of personnel completely on his own without any kind of authorization from a command officer.

You might want to re-watch the opening, then. The whole point is that he forces the issue and drags the Resistance into a devastating and unnecessary battle. Youíre also confusing tell and show. He told us that his actions were about the team, but his actions showed that they were about his own ego. Did you really miss all that Ďgently caress you, mom, you canít tell me what to doí subtext?

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 2, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

dark souls 2 has A funny dwarf.

edit: rewatching hbomb's bloodborne review to clear my mind after that series of insanely wrong posts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

Dark Souls 2 has two funny dwarves who may or may not be related.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sarcopenia posted:

I think a lot of people feel like that because often those villains are more charismatic or interesting than the boring stock hero. And then there's those libertarian psychopaths who aspire to be inhuman garbage. See also every dude I've known who ironically idolize Tyler Durden but always have a weird hate boner for Marla.

TBF, Tyler was a lot more glamourised in the movie than in the book. Being played by Brad Pitt and not being such an arrogant, know-nothing dumbass that your plan fails miserably will do that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Alaois posted:

the absolutely unheard of, never before seen by audiences of movies or any other kind of medium beforehand except seasoned comic book readers, "the personification of Death"

COMPLETELY impossible to include in a movie without at least 7 more movies of buildup

Having your giant, ludicrously ambitious crossover event be a romcom about mass murder would be an insanely badass power move.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, itís not even any one particular view he expressed that makes Pa Kent a dodgy character. Itís that he switches back and forth between completely contradictory moral lessons in every flashback. First heís telling Clark that he should just be an ordinary kid, then that heís an amazing person with a great destiny ahead of him and he should accept that, then heís right back to Ďplease be normalí again. Like, if thereíd been some sort of character arc there, yeah, I could see that, but thereís no remotely clear flow or chronology to it. Itís just like Clark alternates between having two totally different dead adoptive dads depending on which flashback weíre in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Also, Batman Beyond had a superb aesthetic that really worked well with what they could easily do in TV animation at the time. Really great use of bold, simple colours and designs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Was Annihilation sent through the hollywood sausage machine? I thought it was writer-director all the way minus some recutting before release that did kind of end it on a light (dumb hollywood horror) twist.

Also, vidcon starts today, and it just seems awful. I hope nobody we know has to go and it's just cinema sins locked in a conference room with logan paul and sargon.

I wouldnít call Annihilationís ending a twist, just a reminder of what the filmís been telling you all along. Area X is a distorted mirror of the world, taking apart and recombining everything inside it. You cannot enter it without being changed, and you cannot enter without changing it. Lena definitely started out as human, and Kane definitely started out as an artificial construct, but thatís not a remotely relevant distinction any more.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

On that note, a Chinese AssCreed would be nice. Especially since we already know there are Chinese Assassins.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, god is dead, long live bazinga.

I will never understand what people see in peterson.

Heís an abuser telling people itís OK to be abusers in faux-highbrow language. Thatís it. Thatís all there is.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

you know what 'based on' means right?

Like animal crossing is 'based on' rural small town Japanese life but no matter how far you go no rural Japanese town has a real estate office run by a tanuki.

This is probably a good thing, given tanuki business practices.

quote:

Aside from their powerful ability to change their shape, perhaps the most famous attribute that tanuki possess is their large and magical testicles, which they can adapt to any need. They are used as weapons, drums, fans to keep cool, even umbrellas. Often, tanuki incorporate their testicles into their disguises: the tanuki becoming a shopkeeper and its testicles transforming into the shop; or perhaps a palanquin complete with servants to cart the tanuki from place to place.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yardbomb posted:

Don't regurgitate classist propaganda, near all the homophobes I've ever had to deal with in person were gated community kiddies and daddy's money frat (Or wannabe) pigs, it's an anecdote but one a whole lot of other people will have too, impoverished kids in wage slavery aren't the people driving cross country to have their little net nazi get-togethers. "All those 'trailer trash rednecks', 'ghetto thugs' and filthy rurals are the real glut of homophobia, while us good, educated upper class are your allies!" is some disenfranchising bullshit from the same people that try to paint the dastardly poors as the reason for the orange baby being in power, when his biggest base has always been upper middle class pricks.

Seriously, I ran some crude numbers on the 2016 election a while back, and the results were pretty interesting:

Darth Walrus posted:

That does sort of fit with the back-of-a-napkin maths I did a little while back on where the 2012 low-income voters went in 2016. Basically, the Dems lost about five and a half million, which is a big deal in a close election, while the Republicans gained barely any (in fact, if you take population growth into account, their share of low-income Americans dropped a bit). Instead, about two million went to third parties and independents, while three and a half million didnít show up at all, either due to voter suppression or lack of enthusiasm.

That said, overall turnout was slightly up in 2016, even accounting for population growth, and this was due to a surge of high-income voters - Trump got one million, and Clinton got a whopping five million. In other words, 2016 was a demographic shift in the electorate from 2012 - it was more of a rich personís election. Clinton and her team were kind-of-sort-of right that they could recoup their losses amongst the working class by picking up wealthy suburbanites - what they overestimated was the degree of their appeal to their new demographic (they still got a lead on Trump, but it shrunk rather than increasing), and the way that this would interact with a badly deformed first-past-the-post system. They turned small minorities into large minorities in wealthy areas, and turned small majorities into large minorities in poor areas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

wrestling is the gayest theater and that's why I love it

Only until a wrestling musical exists.